Chapter Four

Wrong-way Romance

 

The evening went rapidly from bad to worse. After the movie was over, we went to Burger King, where I ate a hamburger and tried to pretend Yong Junhyung didn’t exist. Across the table from me, Dongwoon talked non-stop, doing his best to keep the conversation rolling.

“I’m so glad we came! Wasn’t that a good movie?”

“Yeah,” Doojoon agreed, “but it broke my heart when they wrecked that beautiful car.”

“I know the feeling,” Junhyung said mournfully.

“Junhyung drives a Mustang,” Doojoon explained. “A boy ran into him yesterday and messed up his front bumper.”

I started to suggest that the fault lay with Junhyung but Woonie interrupted me.

“Only five more days until school starts,” he said, a little desperately. “Do you think we’ll have any classes together? Hyung’s a junior this year, like me. Doojoon and Junhyung are both seniors, Hyung.”

“You’re a junior? That’s funny,” Junhyung said to me. “I thought you were a sophomore.”

“Why?” I asked, not sure I wanted to know the answer.

“I don’t know. I just had the impression that you hadn’t taken driver’s ed yet.”

I glared at him, but Junhyung gave me a smirk in return. I got the distinct impression that he’s enjoying himself.

We finally left Burger King after what seemed like hours. During the ride home, I passed the time thinking of suitable punishments for Woonie. It was the most enjoyable part of the entire evening. At last, Doojoon turned the car into my driveway and shut off the engine. The disastrous date was over and I had survived.

They walked with us as far as the front porch, where Doojoon and Woonie kissed goodbye as if they would never see each other again. I watched Junhyung warily, unsure of what he’ll do or say. What I did to his car would be nothing compared to what I would do to his face if he tried to kiss me!

Junhyung smirked down at me. “Well, it was nice meeting you, Yoseob.” He said. “Maybe I’ll run into you at school someday.”

“Thanks for the warning.” I retorted. “I’ll be sure to keep my insurance paid up.” With that, I turned my heel and marched into the house, dragging my reluctant cousin behind me.

As soon as the door was shut behind us, I pounced on him. “Woonie, how could you do this to me?” I demanded. “How could you fix me up with a jerk like that?”

Dongwoon flushed and looked defensive. “Junhyung isn’t a jerk! You won’t even give him a chance.”

“You’re darned right, I won’t give him a chance,” I snapped. “People like Junhyung think that just because they’re good looking and can be charming when it suits them, they can get away with murder. I fell for that type once, but now I know better.”

“Hyung, just because he’s good looking and athletic doesn’t mean he’s another Jinwoon.”

Dongwoon pointed out.

“How do you know? You never met Jinwoon. Lucky you!”

“No, but I know Junhyung a lot better than you do and I know you’re completely wrong about him.”

I felt a sudden rush of sympathy for Woonie, torn between his cousin and his boyfriend who couldn’t help it if his best friend was a jerk.

“Look, Woonie, why don’t we talk about something else?” I said. “He’s not worth arguing about.”

But I had a nagging feeling that I hadn’t seen the last of Yong Junhyung.