Chapter Thirteen

Wrong-way Romance

 

Early Monday morning, I knelt in front of my locker with a roll of tape, a small calendar, and Junhyung’s football picture in my hands. At my cousin’s insistence, I had agreed to tape the picture to the inside of our locker door, on the condition that I could also put a calendar there so I could mark off the days until I could rip the picture down. I had finished taping the calendar in place and had just started on the picture when, to my astonishment, it spoke to me.

“There you are!”

I was so startled that I dropped the roll of tape. Junhyung was standing right behind me.

“Where have you been?” he continued. “I’ve been waiting for you in the parking lot. I was beginning to wonder if you were sick or something.”

“I took the bus,” I muttered.

“Again? When are you going to get that car of yours fixed, anyway?”

“As soon as you pay for my bumper.”

He grinned. “You’ll be riding the bus a long time, then. So what do you think of the game last weekend?”

I couldn’t believe his conceit. Junhyung already had an entire high school and two local newspapers telling him how wonderfully he had played. I wasn’t about to join their ranks. “I wasn’t paying much attention.” I lied. “Who won?”

“We did, ten to three.”

I gasped in mock surprise. “You mean to tell me that in spite of your bad passes, you still managed to goal?”

“Aha!” Junhyung shouted triumphantly, pointing an accusing finger at me. “You’re not paying attention to the game, huh?”

Flustered, I said quickly, “Well, I wasn’t. Woonie told me about it on the way home.”

Junhyung smirked. “Dongwoon wouldn’t know a goal if one hit him between the eyes! Admit it: you’re afraid you might have to say something nice to me and its killing you.”

“I’m not admitting a thing,” I said huffily.

“No, I know you won’t. That’s part of your charm.” Junhyung looked past me to my locker door. “Now, there’s one good-looking person.”

“Where?” I asked, looking up and down the hallway.

“Okay, I guess I asked for that one,” Junhyung said with another smirk. “It’s a good idea though. Very convincing.”

“It was actually Woonie’s idea not mine,” I told him.

Junhyung took my hand and pulled me to my feet.

“Hey, take it easy!” I cried. “I guess I’m lucky that you didn’t just grab me by the hair and drag me off.”

“Oh, we, Neanderthals quit doing that for years ago,” he said.

“And why is that?” I asked, playing along in spite of myself.

“Nowadays when a Neanderthal wants to haul a person off, he does it like this.”

Before I knew what was happening, he picked me up and carried me in bridal style.

“Hey! Put me down!” I shouted.

“I’ll put you down as soon as we reach your homeroom,” Junhyung said, carrying me down the hall. “Now, can you stop moving before I drop you on your .”

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Oh, no?”

He strolled into my homeroom, where Dongwoon sat on the windowsill, talking to Doojoon. Dongwoon gasped in surprise, but Doojoon barely glanced up, as if the sight of his best friend carrying a person in bridal style was an everyday occurrence.

“Hey, Dongwoon, where do you want this?” Junhyung asked.

Put me down!” I yelled.

“All right, all right. Some people have no sense of humor,” Junhyung grumbled, settling me on my feet.

At that moment the bell rang, and Junhyung and Doojoon left for their own homeroom at the opposite end of the building.

“What in the world was that all about?” Dongwoon asked as soon as they had gone.

“Never mind. You don’t want to know.”

“Well, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to, but if you and Junhyung supposed to be going together, don’t you think it would be a good idea to pretend you like him just a little bit?” he suggested.

I sighed. “I guess you’re right. I don’t know what it is about Junhyung, but we can’t be together for two minutes without fighting about something. We just seem to rub each other the wrong way.”

Hi.

I just want to thank everyone for reading this. :)

And i was starting on writing about the next game and some already gave me ideas. So my concern is that Yoseob will be meeting two of his old good friends back in Seoul, so guys I'm asking you who do you want it to be? Go go go! Give me some ideas. :)

Bye-yeom. <3