Chapter 19

Connections

After listening to Heechul’s secret recording, everyone remained quiet for some time still trying to assimilate what they had just learned. As soon as part of the shock faded, Yunho started to interrogate Heechul’s hologram to try and get as much information as possible. In a split second, he was already determined to include defence plans in his diplomatic negotiations with the different colonies, especially Seffren. Heechul had kept the secret because at the time the political and social situation was too volatile. But now, centuries later, many of the problems Heechul had battled with were long resolved. Yoochun, Junsu and Sarah added their own questions as well. 

The king was informed of what they had discovered. He listened to his ancestor’s message and asked his own questions. The king was of the opinion that the missing group was likely to return to cause trouble. He promised to assist the other colonies and to start in Seffren his own defence programme for when that threat came, maybe soon, maybe in a few generations.

When the group left the palace, they went to their spaceship to send a message to Jaejoong and Changmin as soon as possible. 



Changmin and Jaejoong were surprised to find a message, signalled as urgent, waiting for them when they arrived at work. They were even more surprised when they understood what their friends had found out. 

-If this group that left Seffren maintained the desire to return and take power… - Pondered Jaejoong.

-I still can’t believe that Heechul was practically a slave for most of his life until the king died. It is incredible that he managed to become the next king when one knows the full story. I was always proud to be descendant from one of his sons that returned to Lhara. Descendant to one of our own who became a king in a faraway colony. I feel so much prouder now. I can’t believe his strength to survive such a horrible fate and thrive in the end. 

But this secret society with their inhumane rules and their slaves… They left Seffren well equipped. And no one ever heard from them again. It’s been a long time since any new colonies were discovered. From the spaceships that left Ancient Earth, few that came to this sector of space are unaccounted for. And yet, if one has the appropriate spaceship, there are still plenty of planets and moons with conditions to sustain life. It’s just that the nearest inhabited ones would take years or almost a lifetime to reach there. This society had the motives and resources to make a journey like that. Should we assume that they would ever try to return here?

-Changmin, you saw the data Yunho sent us. Seffren is still basically unsustainable on its own. Much of that was a direct result of that group’s influence. If they reached a new home and treated it the same, sooner or later they will need new resources. According to what Heehcul gathered of their way of thinking, it is more likely that they will try to conquer the other colonies than consider exploring another planet. We best be prepared. And if we never hear from them in our life time, we have to make sure the next generations are informed and aware.



Back in Seffren, the group finished last minute negotiations considering the new information. Seffren’s king was very thankful for the access to Heechul’s hidden memories and as he was much more familiar with Seffren’s history he was able to shed even more light on what possible threat they might expect. 

On their last day in the huge colony, Sarah went to say goodbye to her mother. Junsu remained in the lab finishing an experiment while Yoochun and Yunho took care of the last details before leaving. 

As the day wore on, Junsu started to feel more and more apprehensive for no reason at all. Deciding to trust his instincts, he stopped everything, and analysed the strange feeling of growing unease. He could telepathically sense where Yunho and Yoochun were. And he had a lesser feeling of where Sarah was. His two friends were worried but the uneasiness wasn’t coming from them. That meant it had to come from his wife. Junsu focused and tried his best to reach Sarah. Their mental link was weak and still very new. They were yet learning how to use it and Sarah found it especially difficult. She could sometimes sense where Junsu was or how he was feeling but not always. Suddenly a very clear cry for help reached him. It was as if he could hear Sarah begging him to go rescue her. 



Junsu burst inside the huge ballroom, ignoring the surprised gasps of everyone present. He walked like an arrow towards Sarah’s mother, only to ignore her at the last moment and keep walking. The Baroness shrieked in indignation.

-How dare you invade my home? What disrespect is this? – She whispered to Junsu, not wanting to cause a scene among her guests.

-I have come for my wife!

-My daughter is not here and anyway she has informed me she wishes to fill for divorce. You have no claim over her!

-I have news for you. She is claiming me! Her mind and heart are reaching out for me. Do you forget she is one of Heechul’s descendant’s? Lhara’s blood runs through her veins. That blood means she can telepathically reach out to me. Do you remember how all your historic records tell of how Heechul didn’t need to open his mouth to speak with his children and grandchildren? I do that with my family. Sarah is my family too. She’s my wife. I have come to take her home and you will not stop me.

-Blasphemy! And I’ve already told you she’s not here!

-Really, mother-in-law? 

Junsu glared at her, not bothering to hide his disgust with the woman. Then he turned his back on her and let his heart and mind guide him to his wife. He could feel Sarah crying out for him nearby. Her voice in his head was as clear as if she was speaking out loud. He continued his way to one of the buffet tables. Without a single pause, Junsu grabbed the table and upturned it, crashing everything on it into the floor. Underneath the table there was a huge box. Junsu opened it. From inside jumped a scared looking Sarah.

-Junsu? Junsu! Oh, Lhara, it’s you. I kept wishing you’d find me.

-I heard you, Sarah. It’s ok. I’m here now. You’re with me. I got you. Calm down.

-You heard me?

-The dragon water really activated our telepathic link. It has just proved stronger than my link with my childhood friends even if it’s not like a true Linked Pair link.

-What? But…

-A warm presence? The sense you’re not alone? That’s me. You probably felt me getting closer.

Sarah’s eyes shone with tears before she flung herself into her husband’s arms. 

-Come on, Sarah. Let’s get out of here. 

The couple walked across the ballroom under everyone’s eye. No one had heard Junsu’s talk with the Baroness, so they had no idea what was going on. Sarah took one last look at her mother and with a sigh, asked Junsu to wait a little.

-What you have just witnessed was proof of telepathy, a trait still present in Heechul’s descendant’s blood. We now take our leave. Mother, your blessing. 

The Baroness quickly recovered, recognizing the cover story her daughter was giving her, along with the glory of having given birth to the only descendant to show evidence of telepathy in over a century. She graciously gave her daughter her blessing. As Sarah and her son-in-law were closing the door on their way out, the Baroness was already basking in a higher social status than even the other marriage she had been planning for Sarah would ever achieve her. 

Already outside, Junsu asked Sarah why she had sort of helped her mother.

-Status is her greatest ambition. She will have it now. Hopefully that means that even if we ever return to Seffren, she will leave us alone. And… despite what she just tried to do, I… I do not want to send her to prison.

Junsu hugged Sarah closer, kissed her forehead and lead her to the spaceship.

-Let’s go home.



The diplomatic journey carried on with a trip to Tarpar and the remaining colonies, already initiating the route that would take them back home. Meanwhile, in Lhara, the defence training carried on and Lydia’s baby reached its due date.



Changmin cursed and cursed again. He was feeling extremely nervous and he wasn’t even the father. But Jaejoong had been impossible to be around for the last purple cycles and today he was making Changmin climb walls. Finally, to the tall man’s relief, the doctors came to take Jaejoong to be with Lydia. With a sigh, Changmin sat down and looked around the room. Lydia’s parents were there as well as Jaejoong’s entire family. Changmin thought that was maybe why Jaejoong was being so nervous. Yunho’s family, Junsu’s and Yoochun’s were also there. Everyone wanted to meet the first baby from the five childhood friends. That realisation made Changmin search his link with his own parents.

“Why are you so nervous, son?”

“Father, is it really this stressing to have a child?”

“Depends… Is Jaejoong’s entire family there?”

“Yes.”

“Then there was no saving Jaejoong from climbing walls. I bet with you that Jaejoong is much calmer inside the room with just Lydia and the doctor. Now hold on a little longer. Your mather and I are almost there.”

Changmin entertained himself watching Yoochun’s mothers being smothered by some of Jaejoong’s many sisters while Junho, Junsu’s brother, seemed to be having difficulty in some discussion he was having with Jihye, Yunho’s sister. Changmin sniggered. He had little patience for children, no matter how old. Jaejoong’s loud nephews and nieces running around reminding him painfully of that. But he had a soft spot for Jihye. She could make everyone squirm.

Changmin got up to welcome his parents when they walked in. They were an imposing presence, tall and muscular. Both were sporting beards at the moment. It was hard to tell which one was the mather. With Yoochun’s mothers, after talking with both women, it became obvious which one was the cather. But not the case with his own parents. Changmin had always wondered about that. 

-What’s with the frown?

-Nothing, mather. Just thinking. 

-About what, Max?

-I was bombarded with questions about when it would be our turn. I guess I’m not in a good mood.

-Yoochun will make a lovely mather. You have nothing to worry about. And no need to hurry as well. 

Changmin fell quiet for a while. Everyone was still under the assumption that Yoochun would be the mather. And it still didn’t make any sense to him why that wasn’t the case. Being in the maternity ward made him even more aware that since he was taller and stronger than Yoochun, that statistically, he should be the mather. 

-Mather, can I ask you something a bit more personal?

-Off course.

-Between you and father, how did… I mean… How was it determined who would have me?

-The Connection takes care of that. You know that.

-But what is the criteria?

-Specifically for same pairs?

-Yes.

-Strength. Both physical and mental. For example, it may seem to you that Yoochun’s mother is somehow weaker than his cather but it’s the other way around. Think about it. Which one really rules the house? Between me and your father, I win in physical strength. Truthfully, I think Yoochun will have a harder time being pregnant than you would ever have. But I guess the Connection chose him for his persistence over your strength. 



Changmin was the first one to be called to see the baby. He almost turned down but everyone encouraged him inside. It was rare for friends to develop telepathic connections and everyone was always proud of the five boys for that. Even Lydia’s mother helped to push him along. 

He walked through the door with his mind still occupied thinking about why the Connection had chosen him to be the mather. After talking with his own mather, it made a little more sense. He had to admit he saw the logic. 

Jaejoong nearly run him over and then pulled him over to the bed. Lydia was holding a tiny bundle inside very small white blankets. Both their smiles were contagious. Changmin found himself smiling a little. He gave in to their happiness.

-Ok, let’s see what all the fuss is about.

-Hold him. Isn’t he the cutest thing ever?

Before Changmin could understand what was happening, Jaejoong had deposited the baby in his arms. Big eyes looked up at him. Tiny fists waved. Changmin blinked. The baby was lost in his two hands, so small it was. He felt afraid to move. He could squash or break the baby. A tiny hand grabbed one of his fingers. The strength surprised him. 



Much later, as Changmin got ready to bed, he still felt as if his hands were strange. He turned and turned. He had shared his bed with Yoochun for what felt like such a short time but he had had trouble feeling asleep ever since the man had gone on the diplomatic mission. Somehow, he had the feeling Yoochun would understand why his hands still felt strange from holding a baby. He kept thinking someday he would hold his and Yoochun’s child. Would it be so small? Would it grab his finger too?



Jaejoong had been incredible busy. He had barely became aware that he missed Yunho before he had no time to think about that. And now with his son, he had no time at all. But much too soon, Jun Woo was big enough for Lydia to travel with him. She wanted to stay a few purple cycles with her parents and Jaejoong could not blame her. They had been strict and only allowed visits for one hour every day but still it could be exhausting. Jaejoong accompanied her but only stayed for half the time. He had to return to deal with some dragon emergency. 

Several dragons were being trained to consider taking riders during the next adulthood ceremony. Jaejoong had to fly with them and identify which ones would be suitable. He talked with Lydia on his bracelet several times a day but he was returning to an empty house. It had never bothered him before. Lydia schedule always kept her away from time to time but with the baby they had not parted for some time. Looking at the calendar, Jaejoong took a bath and left the house. 

It was after one hour of waiting that Jaejoong finally realised he had come to Yunho’s house at the usual day, at the usual time. He felt flabbergasted. It was embarrassing to have been so distracted that he had forgotten Yunho wasn’t back yet. He had simply come to the house on the usual day, as if on auto-pilot. Jaejoong grabbed a drink and sat outside in the porch looking at the forest and the approaching night sky. The orange moon became huge high in the sky and still Jaejoong sat there. He felt strange. His body was restless. It was almost as if he missed with Yunho. He looked up at the stars wishing he knew which one marked the spot in the sky where Yunho’s ship was.