Chapter 16

Connections

Reminder: To differentiate telepathy:
-Hello! This is normal speech.
"This is telepathy."
For all you stickelers for regular formatting, sorry about that but it just makes it easier for me.


Talking to the ship was possible, although it would be harder the farther away it got. 

Changmin was the one in charge of establishing the connection with the ship and Yoochun was always the one on the other side. Private conversations were possible. Eventually Changmin gave up on his stubbornness and relished the moments he could talk alone with his Linked One. Yoochun didn’t hide how much he missed him which effectively melted Changmin’s coldness and residual anger. 

The taller one found himself often remembering their last kiss, his fried brain, Yoochun’s warmth, those arms around him and the one word whispered into his ear: mine. He missed sleeping next to his Linked One terribly and he wanted to somehow punish Yoochun for it. Changmin had half of an idea of how to do it. He went over Yoochun’s collection and specifically, the most watched videos. Once again, he came across the video of his lookalike. On one of Yoochun’s more unguarded moments, he had read a memory of the first time Yoochun had suspected them of being a Linked pair. He had felt very flattered that the mere hint of him had caused Yoochun to point up even before they had gotten together. Studying the video, Changmin smirked, knowing just what he was going to do.



Changmin put his plan in motion. Quite often, communication with the ship was done with recorded videos and written messages. He sent a warning for Yoochun to watch the next video on his own quarters and to record himself watching it. Actually his exact words were “Record yourself watching every single second of the damn video or else… And make it a full body video, not just your face.” which he knew would get Yoochun to obey, if only out of curiosity.

Until the reply from his Linked One arrived, Changmin was a bundle of nerves. Jaejoong deemed him insufferable and impossible to put up with it. His own parents sort of stayed away. Even Yoochun’s mother kept their distance. His only solace was his dragon.

“Calm down, Changmin. You are too restless without your Linked One.”

“I’m sorry, Actor. I’m just not sure of what Yoochun will think.”

“You seem to have decided to tease and banter him. Nothing new. I dare say he quite likes your temper. Whatever you did, I’m sure he’ll react well.”

“I hope so. Oh, Lhara! Just help me relax, please.”

“Hold on. Time to stretch our wings.”

With a loud whoop, Changmin held on to the red leather strap and tried not to close his eyes against the wind. 

To their right, Sailor and Blur suddenly approached intent on a race. Jaejoong was doing his own loud whoops on Sailor’s back. 

-Hey, Max! I bet you Sailor flies faster!

-You wish! 

“Actor, you aren’t going to let him get away with that, are you?”

“No.”

“That’s all I wanted to hear. Let’s go!”

For several hours, the three dragons and the two riders flew over mountains and prairies. Sailor and Blur were both amazingly fast but Actor was more daring and Jaejoong was forced to concede that the green dragon was faster. He crossed his arms and pouted as a gleeful Changmin smirked and flew loops around him. 

-You’re impossible, Max. 

-No, I’m the winner!

Jaejoong rolled his eyes at Changmin but couldn’t help a smile at his friend.

Actor, Sailor and Blur landed on a nearby mountain top and seemed to talk among themselves. Changmin looked at Jaejoong for information but the older one just shrugged his shoulders. Then the dragons turned their attentions back to their riders. 

-Actor is saying something about visiting the… Patriarch? What are they talking about?

-The ancient dragon that helped me. 

-Really? I can go there as well?

-If they say so. Better prepare yourself. He’s really something. 



Changmin walked slowly, a little behind Jaejoong, as they entered the huge cave in the dragon reserved territory. He was feeling a little apprehensive. Actor had made this sound like a big deal and the three dragons following them were behaving almost reverently. 

The gigantic stone carving was there, just like Jaejoong had described it. It was difficult to believe that the stone was actually a live dragon. If Actor and the others were ancient by human standards, this dragon was beyond that. 

One eye opened and looked curiously at Jaejoong and Changmin. 

“Hello, little ones.”

“H-hello. My name is Changmin. Ah… Nice to meet you?”

A loud rumble answered Changmin. There was very little movement from the face but he could swear he saw it laugh silently. The eye turned its attention to Jaejoong.

“Humm, still damaged. Drink more water.”

Jaejoong rushed to obey. 

“Why have you requested my presence?”

“Changes are coming. You two must prepare.”

“For what?”

There was such a loud rumble from the stone dragon that Changmin and Jaejoong fell to the floor. A slight tremble answered, like an echo. Across the cave a few rocks fell. Another stone dragon was under a pile of stone, moss and long ago dead tree roots. It was difficult to see its shape. Erosion seemed to have washed the details away from the living stone. 

Both men sensed a murmur in their heads. Whatever this other dragon was saying they could not comprehend him. Actor, Sailor and Blur tensed at the continuing murmur. The Patriarch waited, his full attention on this other stone dragon until the murmur turned into silence and the eroded dragon became undistinguishable from his surroundings again. 
Changmin and Jaejoong looked at each other apprehensively.

“Your race helped to save us from becoming stone. You made us curious again. Made us fly once more. There is offspring again after so many of us became dust. The… advised us to welcome you and his advice proved true.”

Sailor sensed his rider’s confusion and tried to convey the eroded dragon’s name in a way that the two humans could comprehend. 

“Augur, Herald, Omen. He is like a Seer or Oracle from your own stories. He senses presages and reads the cosmic flows. You can almost say he senses the future choices one must make.”

Jaejoong didn’t felt any less confused, maybe more. Turning to Changmin, he picked one of the names.

-That’s Augur. He’s clairvoyant, I guess.

-Actor just used the name Prophet. Humm… So, he advised all the others they’d need our help. But our help with what? Or against what? And when will that be?

The Patriarch’s eyes studied Changmin appraisingly.

“The time is soon. You will notice the winds of change. Humans and dragons must become one but you will also have to fly on your own. Join forces.”

Both young men waited for more. The stone dragon moved no more. The three dragons nudged them and started to move to the entrance of the cave.

-I don’t understand. – Complained Jaejoong.

Blur nudged him again and Jaejoong climbed on Yunho’s blue dragon instead of his purple one. Changmin remained on the ground, leaning against Actor, his arms crossed and a frown on his face. Sailor flew up and circled around them. Blur took off after his mate, Jaejoong on his back. With one last look behind him at the mysterious cave, Changmin climbed Actor and took off as well. 

As soon as they left the sacred dragon territory, Mira, Junsu’s chameleon dragon joined them. He flew around the bigger dragons. Actor indulged the smaller dragon in a mock race before they all fell back into a line.

-There is only one threat I can think of. - Said Changmin.

-The only one I can think of is us. Humans are their own worst enemy and by extension to everything else. But how?

-I don’t know, Jae. But you just said what I think too. Had another ship arrived on Lhara would things have happened the same way? 

-All the colonies are peaceful and cooperating. Maybe it’s not something in our time frame. It could even refer to the stories we heard of when Heechul was Seffren’s king. There were rumours of an avoided war. Time moves differently for the dragons. What to say of a race that gets so old that they become stone and erode away?

Pensive, Changmin turned his attention to Actor.

“Could Augur, Prophet or whatever you call him have referred to a different time?”

“No. Time does move differently for us but we measure it accurately. The Patriarch had me, Sailor and Blur search for the next leaders in this generation. The danger may be other humans, I do not know. But it approaches soon.” 

-Leaders? – Jaejoong asked.

To their left, Mira flew forward and looped in front of Jaejoong before returning to his place.

-Mira says it chose Junsu because he was one of the promised leaders: the Healer. This is weird.

-Jae, come with me. I want your help to review our security protocols. We probably should extend them to protect the dragons too. 

-Blur and Sailor just got miffed with you. They think of themselves as warriors.

-Tell them the security protocols I have in mind will make full use of the dragons as warriors. Damn, I wish Yoochun was here.

-Why?

-We need to fly on our own too. That’s our ships. 

-What do you have in mind?

-You’ll see. Whatever Augur thinks is coming, I can assure you we will be prepared. I'll make sure of that. 



Lydia finished her work with the horses and flew with Chami back home. She had amazing news for Jaejoong. News that she wanted to give in person when they were both well rested and hugging each other.



Yunho was happy with their mission so far. The conversations in Tarpar had gone very well and it had been incredible to visit another colony. Now they were going to Seffren, the biggest of all the colonies. 

Another reason why he was so happy was Jaejoong. Ever since he had stepped foot inside the spaceship and they had their first exchange of messages, a surprising thing occurred. Yunho had recovered his childhood friend. Now that they couldn’t meet in person, Jaejoong’s anxiety had diminished and they were soon talking easily. It wasn’t perfect. He knew they were avoiding the bigger issue. However, they were talking as they used to and playing around. He hadn’t realised how much he had missed his friend until now. 

Jaejoong’s and Changmin’s cryptic warnings to verify if any colony could be a threat had been strange. From such a distance it was difficult to know what to think of the Patriarch and Augur. But that couldn’t dampen his good mood. He was confident in the strength of the ties between the colonies. Ever since Heechul had created the Chosen Ones system, which in a way could be considered an exchange of hostages, and reunited the colonies, the cooperation was peaceful and with good intentions on all parties. Still, he kept attentive, just in case.

Yunho fidgeted in his seat. He watched the countdown anxiously. Then after a few bips, Jaejoong’s smiling face appeared on the screen.

-Yunho! You’re not going to believe it!

Yunho laughed at Jaejoong’s smiling face. The older man was practically jumping in his seat. 

-What is it?

-I’m going to be a father! A father, Yunho! Oh, Lhara! 

Jaejoong continued jumping in his seat, not even giving Yunho enough time to say anything before he’s telling his friend all about his child.

-Lydia can feel the baby already. She spends hours sitting with her hand on her belly. I don’t feel anything yet. Oh, I can’t wait to feel my son kick my hand. The bump is still so tiny, you can’t tell she’s pregnant. I’m so happy. Scared, I’m scared. Will I make a good father?

Yunho smiled seeing Jaejoong’s happiness. He’s probably one of the few who suspected that his friend wanted his own children. Even forgotten in the middle of such a big family, Jaejoong loves his nephews and nieces and spoils them. Yunho is sure he’s going to be an excellent father, no matter how nervous his Linked One feels now.

-I’m really happy for you. And don’t worry, you’ll do a great job.

-Jihye visited us. Your sister wants the favourite aunt spot. You should have seen her. She managed to shut up all of my sisters who are much older than her.

-That sounds like her. 

-Jihye and Lydia bandied together and got rid of my bossy sisters. Along with both our mothers and Lydia’s mother too, they are buying everything for the baby. And I mean everything. 

-When will you get your house back? You know, you and Lydia can hide at my house if you need to. 

-Thank you. We might need to. 

Yunho was smiling like a loon as they continued to chat. His friend was back. He had no idea of how things would be between them when he got back to Lhara but surely they would be more relaxed with each other. Jaejoong was confiding in him again, searching his advice and company. It was also fantastic to have him interact with his family again. He knew how much his parents and his sister had missed Jaejoong.

This diplomatic mission was the best idea ever.



Junsu found Sarah analysing some medical samples they got from Tarpar. He stopped at the door to look at her. Junsu felt very lucky. Yoochun and Yunho were both missing their Linked Ones very badly. He had his Linked One with him. 

Sarah sighed and continued to twinkle with the sample. Then she sighed again and moved to a screen. She played back a video message. Junsu listened curious. It appeared to be Sarah’s mother. He frowned. The woman was talking as if Sarah was moving back to Seffren permanently instead of just to visit.

-Sarah?

-Junsu. I was just about to go search for you.

Once again, she sighed. Junsu was holding Sarah in the next breath, worried about her sad face.

-What is it? Why did your mother spoke like that?

-She never listens. She’ll try to force me to stay. I’m worried. I should have stayed behind. 

Junsu hugged her more closely. Sarah words gave him a strange cold feeling that he didn’t like one bit. He could sense trouble ahead. Their stay in Seffren was not going to be an easy one. 



Changmin checked again. Still nothing from Yoochun. He cursed and threw something across the room. His Linked One had simply greeted him and proceeded to enable all the different private conversations. Yoochun had had more than enough time to see his video and reply, say something about it, anything. Yet only silence so far. It was maddening.
A bip announced that Yoochun was back. Changmin blinked. The background was different. His Linked One had moved to his private quarters. Changmin gulped and swallowed. Tried to remain calm and seated perfectly still. He was not about to ask anything. Still, something told him it was good thinking on his part to be all alone in one of Yoochun’s many ships he had scattered around Lhara. 

Finally unable to withstand the silence and Yoochun’s teasing smile, Changmin exploded.

-Damn you! Have you seen the video I sent or not?

-Not.

-What? 

Changmin started on a tirade but Yoochun held up his hand in a silent request for him to stop and listen. With great effort he did just that. Arms crossed and scowling, Changmin shut his mouth and tried to give Yoochun his best death glare.

-I saw your attached message. Whatever you have in this video you obviously wanted to see my reaction to it. Well, we are now on one of the rare occasions when we can speak in real time. I think it has to beat a video response. You can record me if you want to. I’ve no idea what you cooked up that you are so furious with me but I’m guessing my reaction might be worth recording according to you.

Changmin fell silent. He wanted very much to see Yoochun’s reaction. However, he had prepared things in such a way that he would be free of possible embarrassments. Yoochun was turning the tables on him. Damn the man. He pondered what to do but his curiosity won.

-Fine. Get on with it.

Surreptitiously, Changmin moved himself in such a way that if need be, his face would not be picked up by the camera. He waited, heart beating fast, while Yoochun hit play and sat back on his chair making sure that his entire body was on screen for Changmin to see.



Yoochun had two images in front of him. One was Changmin half hidden, looking curious and slightly nervous. The other was Changmin sitting on the sofa in their home with his familiar smirk in place.

The real time Changmin hide further from view but Yoochun’s attention got caught in the video. There was something about it that was niggling at his memory.