Funeral

Lost Dog

     Officer Lee gets out of the car, and is in a black suit instead of a uniform. A man you've never seen before gets out of the passenger's seat . The man is holding a silver box, it's kinda like a cube brief case. He comes closser and sets the case on the porch next to the wolf.

     "This is Doctor Kwon. Since it's an endangered, male, animal, I had to bring him along." After Officer Lee explains the identity and nature of the man, the doctor opens the case and pulls out a couple things. He moves the wolf's leg and sticks a large syringe into one of its .

     He extracts some and you guess that it's because it can be used. He does so several times on each one and carefully packs up the syringes full of gametes back in the case.

     "All done," he stands and stretches out his arms, probably because he's tired since it's really late at night. He grabs the case and walks back to the car. He puts the case in the back seat and gets in the passenger's seat, leaning it back and closinig his eyes.

     Officer Lee gets a pen and notebook out of the inner pocket of his jacket to take notes. "So, how many people did you see? And how many had guns?" he looks you right in the eyes with a face so serious that it's almost scary.

     "A lot. Around 20, and they all had guns," you nod to yourself, remembering correctly.

      He writes your words down on the paper and mumbles to himself. "So they probably had more guys to drive and pick up the catch." He kneels down and looks at the wolf for a minute, "shot clean through." He moves some of the fur on the wolf's chest with his hand before scribbling more on the pad of paper.

     "Well, we've got what we need. I'll see you later Miss Y/N, Mr.Kim," he gives a small bow and goes back to the car. He gets in and the sound of the car door shutting wakes up Doctor Kwon. He leans his seat back up and they both put on their seat belts.

     They drive off and it goes back to the peaceful silence of nightime on a farm. "Appa, I'll burry him tomorrow and keep him in the shack until then," the poor guy didn't even get to say goodbye to his family.

     "Okay. But just yell if you need help carrying him," he stands and you shoo him away.

     "It's fine. I got him," you carefully pick up the wolf and drag him the way you did when you were getting him to the porch. It takes less than three minutes to get him to the shack, but it feels like an eternity.

     You are only five feet away from the shack and you hear a whimpering sound. You set the wolf down against the shack and peer through the unexplained open door.

     Two parallel little yellow lights flicker back at you like eyes, staring into your soul. You pick the wolf back up and carry him to the door. When you open it, you look around inside before moving.

     There's nothing there so you bring the wolf next to the couch. You lay him down gently and leave the shack, securely closing the door behind you so nothing gets in or out.

     Tired, you trudge back to the house and into your room. You take your shoes off and sink into your cozy bed drifting off to sleep.

 

*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*     ​*

 

     Smelling many kinds of savory meats, you open your eyes to a new day. Bacon. Sausage. Beef. And... duck? You stick your head up and stare at your door. Falling and stumbling a lot, you scramble out of your room and make your way into the dining rom.

     You zip to your seat at the table and wait for delicious food. Your mother walks in first, meat in hand. She sets down two plates of meat and your father does the same.

     "Can I just take my food to the shack since I have to hold a funeral?" you remember the wolf and stand up.

     "Sure, just don't overwork yourself shoveling. If you need any help just ask," your father speaks as your mother retrieves a picnic basket from the kitchen.

     You take the basket from her hands and start filling it with the breakfast meat and some fresh vegetables. You pick up the now stuffed basket and get out the front door, heading towards your place of peace.

     You open the shack's door and shut it behind you like you always do. You make your way to the coffee table and set the basket on top of it. You climb up into the attic of the small building and come down with an old worn blanket in your arms.

     You lay the blanket over the wolf and wrap it around him. You carry him outside and set him down against the wall of the shack that's facing away from the house. A few gravemarkers are there, one of them is your old husky Oliver's.

     You spend about 20 minutes digging him a quality grave and you wipe your forehead with your arm when you finally finish. Carefully, you settle the old wolf down into the large hole in the ground that will become his resting place. You begin to pour the dirt back in and finish in 5 minutes.

     When all the dirt is atop him, you head into the shack and pull one of the ready-to-use wooden cross grave markers off the wall.

     You carefully stick it in the ground at the head of his grave and sigh. You've burried many pets and wild animals in your life, so now you're always prepared with the few crosses that are hanging on one of the shack's walls.

     You're not sure what to put on the cross, but you don't want to give a name that wasn't his. You decide to leave it blank and you go into the shack with an empty and growling stomach.

     You wash your hands in the sink next to the door and sit down on the couch which just so happens to be next to the coffee table. You relax, ready to eat, and notice something furry in a shoebox under the counter on the other side of the room.

 

 

Author's Note:

Hi guys! What do you think of the story so far?

PS: there's a couple words added/changed in the first chapter & gametes are reproductive cells

What do you think of this chapter?