Nine

Time Bomb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Kibum stood in front of Jinki's cafe, notebook clutched tightly in his arms. His heart was already beating quickly at the thought of spending the day with Jonghyun; his cheeks were pink, and it wasn't just from the cool autumn wind.

Kibum was excited. This was the first time in years he would be hanging out with friends, and just the thought of it was enough to make him feel light and happy. See, Kibum? Just admit you like Jonghyun, it's much easier that way.

Shut up, voice. I don't like him.

Jonghyun had sent Kibum a text earlier that morning, inviting him to come to the cafe early so they could hang out before Jonghyun's friend wanted to meet. At first, Kibum had been reluctant, but the elder persuaded him with promises of free coffee all morning. Who can pass that up?

And besides, Kibum would always take any chance he could get to be out of the house before his parents woke up.

6:45 am. Kibum shivered a bit in the cool wind, pulling out his phone to text Jonghyun that he had arrived. The cafe didn't open until 7:30, so the two would have a bit of time to chat while Jonghyun helped Jinki set everything up in the cafe. Jonghyun had requested a break at noon, when they'd meet up with his friends, and Kibum had no problem hanging out until then.

He would've been there anyway, working on his designs in the corner.

"Bummie." Kibum looked to the entrance from where he stood against the building. Jonghyun was leaning out the door with a wide grin on his face. Kibum smiled and tried to hide it under the knit maroon scarf he was wearing; he knew the other could still see it in his eyes.

Who was Kibum kidding; he was excited to be with Jonghyun today.

Jonghyun reached a hand toward Kibum, who walked hesitantly toward the door. He stared at Jonghyun's hand, blushed, and brushed past him into the cafe. He heard Jonghyun chuckle behind him as he shut and locked the door again.

Jonghyun lead Kibum to the counter, where he gestured for him to sit down on one of the tall stools at the counter while he worked. Once he was seated, Jonghyun poured a cup of coffee and gave it to Kibum.

Jonghyun just stood there in front of the younger, grinning.

Kibum cleared his throat, glaring at Jonghyun. "Remember, today's your only chance to impress me, Jjong." Harsh. Kibum rubbed the back of his neck and looked down at his feet, mentally crossing his fingers that the other didn't take it the wrong way.

The elder just smiled again. "Keep calling me Jjong... I like it."

Jonghyun left to go behind the counter, but backtracked and spoke quietly into Kibum's ear from behind, "Oh, and I'll be sure not to disappoint." With a wink, he disappeared into the back room.

Out of the back room, the auburn-haired man Kibum knew as Jinki emerged with a raised eyebrow. "What was that about?"

"What do you mean?" Kibum asked.

Jinki leaned on the counter in front of Kibum with a goofy grin. "Jonghyun was blushing just now. Was it because of you?"

Kibum shrunk back in his seat, putting some distance between his face and that of the strange guy in front of him. "Of course not, why would I make him blush? We're both guys."

Jinki puffed out his cheeks. "So? What does that matter? You like men, don't you?"

Kibum choked on the coffee he was in the middle of taking a too-big drink of. Jonghyun came back out from the back room just in time to witness Kibum's coughing fit. He sent a glare Jinki's way. "What did you do, hyung? Don't kill my new friend."

"Yah, stop calling us friends! You're amplifying my shame," Kibum choked out. He pouted, slouching in his chair. 

Jonghyun burst out laughing, shoving Jinki's shoulder, causing the elder to wildly stumble backwards. "K-Kibum, you're so adorable, I c-can't," Jonghyun laughed out his words before he was gone again, setting up the rest of the cafe and cleaning tables. Kibum sat in his place, dumbstruck by the hysterical scene he just witnessed. Kibum watched him work, listening to the way he hummed a constant tune that he didn't recognize while half-walking, half-dancing around the room. 

Kibum watched a bit too long. He turned around in his seat again to face Jinki, who gave him a look.

"You like him."

Kibum sent him a glare. Why does this guy care so much? His voice was noticably weaker when he replied. "You're crazy."

Jinki shrugged and continued wiping down the machines and counters, whistling while he worked, adding to Jonghyun's tune. Those two are so noisy.

Kibum groaned, standing up and walking over to Jonghyun, who was cleaning the front windows. "Jjong."

"Hmm?" Jonghyun hummed, looking over his shoulder at Kibum with a sweet smile. "What is it?"

Stop smiling at me like that. "Give me that," Kibum commanded, grabbing the cleaning supplies from Jonghyun. He started cleaning where Jonghyun left off, ignoring the fact that Jonghyun was currently watching him clean with a huge stupid grin on his face.

"I felt bad just sitting there while you guys were cleaning," Kibum mumbled, turning so his blushing face was hidden from Jonghyun's--and, more importantly, Jinki's--line of sight.

_________________

Noon finally came around. Kibum and Jonghyun were standing next to each other outside the cafe, waiting for Jonghyun's friend to meet up with them. Kibum had no idea who his friend was, and it was making him really nervous. It was one thing to be around Jonghyun; that was difficult enough. He hated meeting new people. It always made him feel sick.

Today was no exception. Kibum's hands were shaking in his pockets, and he had the uncomfortable feeling his neck was sweating. There was a lump in his throat, and it felt like his heart was beating so hard that it was going to jump right out of his chest. He let out an uneven breath, making a cloud in the cold air in front of him.

Jonghyun, on the other hand, was standing next to him, not a care in the world, rocking back and forth on his feet and humming another tune. When he noticed the younger boy shaking, he stood a bit c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter