Three

Time Bomb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kibum stayed in that corner of the cafe every night that week, doing whatever he could to waste time so he wouldn't have to go home yet. It was 11 pm by the time a worker with a big smile and auburn hair would stumble over to Kibum’s spot and tell him it was closing time, and Kibum would reluctantly pack up his things to leave.

That Friday, as Kibum was playing with his phone as he was walking--a bad habit of his--he ran into someone who appeared to have been doing the same thing, and their two phones fell to the floor. The man he ran into bent down quickly to pick up their phones, handing Kibum his while apologizing repeatedly. 

Kibum just shook his head and muttered “thanks,” stuffing his phone into his jacket pocket, and shuffling out of the cafe. Kibum cursed himself in his head for being so careless. The least he could do for people was live quietly, and he wasn’t doing a very good job of that. His eyes teared up a little as he replayed that moment over and over again in his head. Dammit Kibum, why are you always making things more difficult for the people around you? Don't you see you're in the way?

Kibum shook his head to clear it of the thought. If he would just get home and run straight up to his room, everything would be fine. He could hide under his covers and forget about the day's awkward encounters, forget about his worries, forget about how much he really hates reality. He felt sick to his stomach, knowing that would only last the night. In the morning, he'd have to do it all again.

Once Kibum got to his house, he entered as quietly as he could, trying to be invisible to his parents. After successfully retreating to his room at the back of the house, Kibum collapsed into his bed, hugging his pillows with a deep sigh. Every day wore him down more and more, and he was surprised he didn't break yet. Kibum closed his eyes for a moment before reluctantly getting up to change out of his clothes.

Kibum had just finished his nightly routine when he heard his phone ring, signalling a text in his room.  He scrambled around in his jacket to find his phone, turning it on once he did. He had a text from a strangely familiar number, but it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter