Queenkas and Kingkas

Orange Twilight

“Jung Eunji! Eunji-ssi! Wait a minute!”

Eunji was going to go to music room for practicing with Orenji—shortened of ‘Orange Twilight’—when someone called her from the other side of the corridor. She turned around to face three girls approaching her.

They were Krystal Jung, Sulli Choi, and Luna Park—let’s say that they are the queenkas of the schoolwell known by their English nickname rather than their Korean name. The three were obviously beautiful and bright, their school grade was not bad and their English were so good and were part of student council and noticed as the angels of English club in the school. They were from class XI-6 and their parents were rich and had some kind of authority on this school so that everyone knew them—such a typical of any queenkas.

But don’t worry, these angels were not the kind that having habit of bullying another student. Eunji got along quiet well with them but not too close enough since they were lived in two different worlds. That’s why Eunji quite surprised when they called her all of a sudden.

“Yes?” she responded.

“Are you busy? Can we ask you something?” Krystal asked her and smiled brightly.

“Oh, sure. Actually I have to go to music room. But I guess i can halt it for some minutes. What’s up?”

“Oh, god bless you, Eunji-ssi! Thanks for wasting your time for us!” Sulli chirped and grabbed her hand, swinging it in happiness.

“Great. Is it okay if we talk in English Club room?” Luna asked her.

Eunji subtle nodded and followed them to the English Club room in wondering. They were so nice and let her sit comfortably and even served a cup of her favorite patbingsoo. Aren’t they deeds too much for just asking her some questions? Eunji somehow felt burdened because of their kindness. What if she couldn’t answer their questions? Though they were nice girls, people were unpredictable. Who knows?

“Um—may I know what kind of question are you going to ask me about?” Eunji asked. She could clearly see how the three queenkas’ eyes glinted in anticipation.

“Eunji-ssi, can we talk comfortably? Can we be friends?” Sulli asked her and grabbed her hands eagerly. Eunji nodded awkwardly, and Sulli widened her smile even more. “Yay! So, is it okay if we just call you ‘Eunji’?” she asked again, and Eunji nodded again. But hey, Eunji was sure that the question Sulli asked wasn’t the main question they will ask to her.

“Eunji-yah, I heard that you are going to participate in Seoul High School Music Competition, right?” Krystal asked and Eunji nodded. “And you are forced into a group with Bang Yongguk, aren’t you?” she asked again. Eunji smelled something fishy when she heard how Krystal said the name of ‘Bang Yongguk’ in somewhat admiration tone. However, she nodded again.

“And Kim Himchan?” Sulli mouthed.

“Our Yoseobbie?” Luna followed.

Eunji nodded over and over awkwardly. She was sure that the three boys they asked were the main topic question they were going to ask to Eunji.

“Owh, how lucky you are, Eunji-yah…. I would trade anything with you just for being surrounded by those princes,” Luna clasps both of her hands hysterically.

“Eh? Princes?” Eunji tried to not scoff at their admiration toward the boys. “But there’s nothing special with them, really. We just playing music, that’s all,” Eunji tended to tell them that the boys were normal students as everyone was. But she didn’t want to kill the admiration and imagination they had about the boys in sudden.

“You know, they barely talk to us the girls. But since you’re in same group with them, they must be talk a lot with you, right?” Sulli looked so curious.

“Besides, you’re in same class with Yoseobbie. I heard that you’re his rival in your class. Oh, I even envy you when you both participated in last Summer Festival as couple.”

Oh, come on. Eunji would admit it if people fangirling over Bang Yongguk or Kim Himchan. But it was her first time knowing that his classmate, Yang Yoseob had his own fangirl. However, she admitted it that sometimes Yoseob seemed a bit mysterious. Though he was a kind of bright and happy-go-lucky person, he didn’t talk too much with their girl friends. Eunji was an exception since they were only quarreling every time they’re having conversation.

“Eunji-yah, can we ask for you help?” Krystal pleaded her. “Can you introducing them with us?” Eunji swore that it was her first time seeing the mighty Krystal pleading like this. She wondered why they didn’t just ask them directly. Aren’t they the school’s queenkas? The boys sure will consider them.

“But why don’t you just ask them directly?” Eunji suggest.

Sulli sighed heavily. “You don’t know how hard it is to get them.”

Luna nodded. “Every time we try to approach them, they will make some kind of barrier so that we can’t reach them.”

“If we ask them to hang out with us, they always reject it nicely so that we can’t force ourselves to get close to them even more,” Sulli added.

“But you’re lucky, Sulli-yah. Himchan agreed to hang out with you for some dates,” Krystal pouted. “Yongguk was too hard to get and he never reply my love letter.”

“Love letter in this technology era? Hha!” Luna scoffed.

“They said that he like it when someone confesses their feeling through handwriting so that he can read that person’s heart…,” she murmured, but her two friends chuckled at her.

“So that’s why, Eunji-yah, we ask you to help us getting close to them. Please?” Krystal begged.

Eunji couldn’t easily say ‘no’, but she wasn’t a cupid either to match make these queenkas with the kingkas. “I-I’ll consider it,” she stuttered.

“Really? Woah, thank you so much, Eunji-yah!” Sulli yelped and hugged her tightly.

“But I can’t promise that I will be that much help, so please don’t anticipate too much….”

***

 

“Oh, our princess is coming! What make you take a long time to come here, Eunji-yah?” Himchan was always the first one who welcomed her every time she walked in to the music room.

“Nothing,” she answered simply.

“What’s happen? Is there any problem? Your countenance isn’t as good as usual,” he bent down to look closer at her face but Eunji shove him off.

“Don’t do that, you’re perfume is too strong, Himchan-ah,” she frowned and bewildered Himchan while the two others giggled at them.

“Eh? Really?” he sniffed himself. “Alright, I’ll lessen it next time then. But for now—”

Without any notice, Himchan pinned her neck by his armpit mercilessly. Eunji squirmed, trying to release herself from his sudden attack. “Yah, Kim Himchan! I can’t breathe!” she tried to push him off but the boy’s strength was too much for her. She could hardly breathe since Himchan’s perfume scent was too much and hampered her breath. Whilst, the boy enjoyed her misery and laughed hard.

“Nyahahaha, try to release yourself if you can, Eunji-yah,” he teased and tightened his pin on her.

Being impatient of her freedom, she tried to kick his shin as strong as she could. But her attempt was failed and she tried to stomp on his foot. Once, twice, she only stepped on empty floor but she kept trying. And finally, she succeeded to stomp hard on his foot. Himchan released her automatically and grabbed his own foot while groaning and hopping in only one foot. The situation was reversed, as now everyone laughed out loud at him. Even their leader who was barely out laugh and Yoseob was literally rolling on the floor laughing.

“Yah! You’re such a rough girl, Eunji-yah!” Himchan groaned, his foot was hurted by her attack.

“You start it first, weeek!” she scoffed and lolled at him. Honestly, how could this boy be one of kingkas in their school? Eunji shook her head at the thought.

***

 

“I’m sorry, guys…,” she murmured and lowered her head for her guilty.

They were in a café near Hongdae, sitting on the seats set for three couples. Eunji sat in front of her three boy friends of the same group: Yongguk, Himchan, and Yoseob. The boys crossed their hands on the chest and stared at her in disbelief. Eunji asked them to have a group date and to have some drinks in the café. But end up she tricked them to have a date with the queenkas who asked for her help before. She wasn’t a kind of liar so that she explained to them about her true deed before the three girls come to join them.

“Aren’t you trying to sell us?” Yoseob scoffed.

“I’m not selling you for anything. But I’ve promised them that I‘ll make them have a date with you…. I’m so sorry…,” she lowered her head even more until her face barely met the table surface. “I feel so guilty… that’s why I tell you now, before they come to join us. You may go now if you like, I’ll explain to them that you aren’t willing to have any date. I’ll take my responsibility.”

Himchan snorted, trying not to laugh. “Is this why you look so lost in your mind nowadays?” he asked, and Eunji nodded to the table. “Aigoo… why don’t you just tell us before, Eunji-yah?” he stretched his arm to ruffle her hair caringly. He wasn’t that mad to her, indeed. But then he pulled of his hand of her when she lifted her head and everyone saw that her eyes were wet by tears.

“I’m sorry, really. You don’t know how hard I try to ignore their request. I never knew that you have such hard core fans of yours. I used to be just an ordinary girl, but once they knew I have a group together with you, they start asking me all about you and so on. I can’t go around as free as before in our school…,” she cried.

“Are you talking about those three queenkas?” Yoseob amazed at her explanation.

But Eunji shook her head. “It’s not only about those three. I’m talking about all of your fans around the school. And for those three, I can’t do anything since I’ve promised them about this courting date….”

“Why don’t you just strictly say ‘no’?” Bang-leader finally said something and everyone turned their attention at him.

“Yah, you can’t be that strict to a bunch of girls, Yongguk-ah! They’ll hate our princess for sure if she dejected them that bluntly,” Himchan slightly slapped his friend’s arm, trying to calm his cold behaviour.

Yongguk let out a deep sigh. Eunji felt even guiltier seeing him this upset since Yongguk almost never showed any emotion before. “I’m sorry…,” she repeated her words more and more.

“Alright, since you have arranged this event for us, why don’t we just enjoy it?” out of nowhere, Yongguk clapped his hands once as if he made a conclusion of the problem. He grinned even though it was obviously not a happy grin.

“Are you sure, Yongguk-ah?” Yoseob now amazed at the leader’s mood swing.

He nodded. “Now that we’ll have to meet our dates, why don’t you have a walk around Hongdae? Then let’s meet again after this date?” Yongguk asked in a demanding question.

“Where? When?”

“We’ll text you later. Just—don’t go too far away so that we can find you easily. How?”

“Okay, then,” Eunji nodded and wiped her tears roughly. “See you later,” she bowed to the three boys.

“Oh, why do I have to know you from the first? Why do I have to be in a group with the kingkas? I wish I just have a group with some nerd clowns so that no one will pay any attention to me…,” she murmured and sighed while walking out of the café leaving the boys for their dates.

***

 

Let’s meet in Hongdae playground in ten minutes.

That was the text Yongguk sent to her. The boys must have finished their dates now. Eunji turned her step to the famous playground in Hongdae wondering what Yongguk plan at her was. She wouldn’t be surprised if Yongguk scolded her about her trick of the boys.

She arrived at the meeting spot. But she didn’t see any of the boys. There were only a bunch of people surrounding around some kind of street performance in the center of the playground. Well, this was the charm of Hongdae playground. People could freely perform their talent there, not only for just a showcase but also for gaining money by their performance.

Eunji was waiting on a bench for some more minutes, but the boys didn’t come yet. She tried to make a phone call, but their phone was not active.

Whether you look here or you look over there
You can't know, Dooly~ Dooly~
The lonely Dooly is a cute baby dinosaur
Hoi, hoi, Dooly is my psychic friend~

She gasped as she noticed who the owner of that voice was.

Eunji got off of the bench and joined the throng to see who the singer perfomed in the podium was. She was surprised watching three boys in clown costume were performing there. One of them was sitting while playing acoustic guitar. He grinned to Eunji with his eyesmile—it was obviously Kim Himchan. The other two are singing, one of them took the rap part. And there they were, the boys were performing as three clowns in the center of Hongdae playground.

Eunji couldn’t help but laugh. Was this the reason why Yongguk demanded her to meet here?

However, her laugh wasn’t lasting long. She saw Yongguk grinned mischievously at her while pointing at a pile of clown costume beside the podium, obviously telling her to wear it as well. Eunji’s jaw dropped noticing what his real intention was. Hell no, Bang Yongguk! She was not that serious when she wished to have a group with some nerd clowns!

***

 

Everyone is a clown... But, only a few of us have the courage to put on the makeup!

 

***


A/N: Nyahahaa~ updated~! \^^/ (sorry I didn't make any poster for this chap though u_u) What do you think about Orenji's members in this chapter?

Translated lyrics of Baby Dinosaur Dooly OST, you can listen to the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq4F-9Vi7kI

Visualization of performance in Hongdae playground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgc1gVosA3g

(okay, the well-known one was Lee Jonghyun's performs at AGD drama~><)

Picture and quotes source: http://egyptshrineclowns.com/