You’re Smart, But Not Clever Enough

Orange Twilight

“DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!” the teacher asked in no humor at all.

“N-ne….”

“DO YOU UNDERSTAAAAND??!!” She repeated her question towards the class.

“NEEEE!!” finally they answered properly.

“Ne-ne-ne-ne… but why your scores can’t ever bigger than ‘do-re-mi’ and ‘do-re-mi’??” Ms. Kwon, the music teacher and also the homeroom teacher of class XI-1, was being a nagger in the class as usual.

“Yang Yoseob! ” she shouted. “You too!” she pointed at him. “I know that you’re smart and have talent in music. But sure you’re not clever enough! How can you forget to do your homework? How can you be this irresponsible? Don’t you know that this bad attitude will affect to your final result?” Yoseob submitted and just murmured some ‘Ne’ without looking back at the teacher. He just too afraid to look back and only could admitted that he was wrong.

Eunji smiled silently while watching Ms. Kwon scolded Yoseob. She just happy to see her rival being nagged by their teacher. Because that would be means that Yoseob gain more lackness compared to her, while Eunji will still be the favorite student for Ms. Kwon. Yay!

“Jung Eunji!” the girl suddenly frozen in her place hearing her name being shouted. “Since you’re the only one who got good result in our last test, you may out of the class now and take your break earlier while I’m taking this remaining class hour for giving some additional lesson to your classmates.”

“N-ne, Ssaem,” Eunji didn’t know whether she should be happy or feel bad toward her classmates. Everyone knew Ms. Kwon favors her too much since she was the smartest among the students in her class. Including Yoseob who always compete her to take the first rank in their class but end up being shadowed by her for his second position since their first grade. Some of their friends might be jealous, but the matter was they just want to be the best in all they can do.

Eunji took a glare changes with her twins before went out of the class under Ms. Kwon’s shooing her. She could see Yoseob gave her a dislike glare toward her on her walks to the class door. Now that she had her own break time earlier, she didn’t know what to do since everyone was still in their class. Canteen must be still quite empty and she felt lonely when tried to walk across the corridors. Some steps more, until she found some girls from another class seems like admiring at something outside the windows.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“Ssshh, we’re watching our princes right there,” one of them whispered to answer her question while her gaze still stuck through window. Curious Eunji tried to stand on her tiptoes and slipped between them to see what they looked at. Just a group of boys from another class playing soccer for their PE class—what’s so special? She could not understand and just furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Prince? Hha.

Her friend hissed up at her expression then pointed at two boys stretching out their bodies in the edge of the field. “There! You can see the princes of our school, Bang Yongguk and Kim Himchan stretching right there! Owh, they’re so y!” she whined in admiration while Eunji just gave a simple ‘o’ for her comment. She didn’t mind at all for those two princes thingy or whatsoever. Well she wasn’t acquainted to them at all. All she know was  just that those guys named Bang Yongguk and Kim himchan was the most popular boys in school and many girls admired them.

Surprisingly, Eunji never thought they’re special since they acted as normal as two normal high school students could be. Eunji didn’t find them attractive enough to be fallen in love with. It just that their fans subjected them as idols and made some barrier as if they both are untouchable. Somehow Eunji thought this was funny to see them being admired by around the school. Hence, she acknowledged their good looks and talents. Everyone knew Bang Yongguk was ranked first entire school and Himchan followed as the second and those two made a best friendship since their first day in high school.

Suddenly one of the celebrities there turned his head and look toward the throng watching him and his best friend. Eunji believe that was Bang Yongguk to her remembrance, since she couldn’t differentiate them because they always been together in pack. Something has just snapped out in her head—did that Bang Yongguk-something has just smiled at her? Eunji just blinked her eyes and found those two boys back to their game.

School bell rang, and Eunji has just spent her bonus time in wasted. Pfft. 

***

 

Summer festival was going on in Seoul Arts High School. Every class had to send their representatives for every competition, especially for the main competition: couple race. It was habitually to pick representatives by academic ranking in class. So it must be the smartest boy and smartest girl in class as couple.

Thus, Eunji was paired up with Yoseob disregarding their hatred towards each other. They both wore some traditional hanbok as other couples did. In the edge of the field, unlike those couples, these two stood with their back at each other. Pouted face, which obviously told them unsynchronized at all. “Why do I have to do this all with YOU?” he sighed. “That’s my word you just shouted, you know,” she hissed.

“Are you sure you don’t want to replace me to be our class representative?” he asked to one of their supporter behind them.

“Not at all, I won’t ever join this competition if I have to be paired with him!” Eunji whined and gained some chuckles from the guy that none other than Yong Junhyung, her forever enemy. If Eunji and Yoseob competing for their first and second rank in class, Junhyung was behind them as forever the third, following by Jung Daehyun in fourth. “Tch. As if I would,” he responded indifferently.

“Can’t you not fighting over nonsense since the race will be start soon?” Daehyun interrupted them. However he smiled and clenched his fist to the air while murmured, “Fighting, Noona!” Eunji nodded and smile back to her twin, feeling some comfort from his simple cheering.

Everyone could hear sound of cheer everywhere for their class representatives. Especially for Seoul Arts High School’s princes, Bang Yongguk from XI-8 and Kim Himchan from XI-4. They both paired with each smartest girl in their class made every fans of them feel jealous.

Race started. Every boy had to carry the girl on their back and run through every post provided in the race. Each post had its own mission and every participant could continue their game each time they pass the mission. Bang Yongguk and Kim Himchan could easily pass every mission they got while carrying a girl in each of their back because of their muscular and tall build.

Meanwhile, XI-1’s representatives, Yoseob and Eunji left behind other nine teams and everyone laughing for they cute petite appearance. Eunji was petite, but Yoseob was also petite that he got extremely tired of carrying her. Hence, their classmates keep cheering for them in full enthusiasm. Until their last post, Eunji found Yoseob hardly fainted of his tiredness and offered him to be carried by her anyway. At first, Yoseob refused her offer for his pride as a man and argued for a while. But in the end, Eunji carried him in her back until finish line, brought laughter to everyone watched them and also for other teams that finished their race long away before them.

They threw themselves to the ground right after reaching the finish line for tiredness. Yoseob murmured some grateful words toward his partner while panting so hard, forgetting his pride. Tough everyone laughed at them, Eunji didn’t feel embarrassed at all. Yet she found herself so proud for her ability to carry Yoseob on her back. Once again she found something to be bragged about in front of her forever rival, Yang Yoseob.

Eunji felt too exhausted that she couldn’t be present at announcement for the race winner. She could only sit under a tree while massaging her tired feet. Suddenly, someone approached her that she guessed it was Daehyun at first and turned out to be someone she could never imagine before, Yong Junhyung.

“Let me….” He knelt in front of her and grabbed her bare feet to massage them gently, left the girl in surprise. Eunji started to feel relieve on her feet yet she kept in silence watching a different side of Yong Junhyung toward her. She found it too awkward to start any conversation while Junhyung being nice to her like this. Too nice, she admitted it.

“You know…,” he started, his hand keep massaging her feet gently.

“Hm?”

“If I were your pair, I won’t ever let you carry me because I will carry you until the end and won’t ever give any difficulties on you.”

Is it because of her tiredness, or Junhyung’s words somehow made her heart fluttered in a strange way?

***

 


A/N: Chapter two! \m/

Thanks a lot for anyone who upvotes and subscribes here... >w<

In case you don't understand, the teacher (Ms. Kwon) said 'do-re-mi' to express how her students only got lower score in her class. This was taken from a real story of my middle school teacher. She nags a lot and always metaphored our score in her subject by music note like I describe in this story. And she well-known as a scary teacher in my school yet she acted too kind for her favorite students XDD (should I brag that I was one of her favorites? ㅋㅋㅋ somehow I missed her these days...)

Oh, you must be knew that the couple race on this strory was inspired by KBS's Idol Crown Prince in 2012. Yoseob-Eunji just too cute in this variety show. I could barely found .gif file of Yoseob carrying Eunji but none for Eunji carrying Yoseob. If any of you found it, you can give me the link so I can add it on this chapter XDD

    

    

(pics sources: http://sehuna.tk/post/32686361914https://twitter.com/_gyuseob/status/252754081771307009)