Chapter o2

Hoofbeats

Minhye felt different as soon as she stepped into the village. The feeling of home was stronger, it was different then what she felt at Seoul. Being welcomed by the cold breeze but the strong smell of cow dung bothered her nose a little.

They made their way through the fields and finally reached their small home that they abandoned years ago. Surprisingly it was quite in good condition, as if someone had taken care of it while they were gone.

Minhye entered the wooden house and placed her bags in one of the rooms.

“It’s so dusty here.” She whispered.

She flop herself on her bed and to find herself on the floor the next moment. The bed was so old that it broke when Minhye sat on it.

“Gosh, this is terrible. How do you expect me to survive in this place.” She whined.

Since there was no servants, she had no choice but to do things on her own. She opened the wooden cupboard and screamed.

“Spiders! Cockroaches! Ewe, omg get away!” she yelled while jumping up and down, avoiding those creatures.

Her parents who heard all the commotion ran into the room to check on her. Instead of lending a hand, they laughed at her.

“Dear please, those tiny creatures are of no harm. You are like a hundred times larger than them.” Her mom said.

“Mom!” she exclaimed.

“I have no time for this dear, we are going out to look for a job. Be a good daughter and take care of yourself.” Her dad said.

“But, we just got here.” She slowly calm herself down after all those pests have left.

“If we don’t start now, we will never go back ever.”

She couldn’t do anything about it. She watched as both her parents left the house leaving her all alone to clean up the place.

She balled up her fist and scream at the top of her lungs, suddenly she heard a loud thud coming from the outside of her bedroom window. Curious, she went to peek what it was.

“What are you doing? Were you eyeing on me? Who are you?” she continuously shot questions at him.

“Damn girl, hold your horses.” He said and dust himself.

“I guessed after all of you moved to town you became worse.” After saying that he carve a smile, “Nice meeting you again Minhye.”

“Who are you and how do you know my name?” she snapped.

“What a friend you are, 16 years in Seoul has swiped away all the memory you had of this place.” He bend down to pick up a leave and pop it in his mouth.

That familiar action made Minhye thought for a moment. After a few moments of silence she finally said something, “Daehyun.”

“Bingo! Howdy partner, it’s been a long time. Puberty has done it right, you look gorgeous.” He prattled.

Minhye furrow her eyebrows, “Put that aside, I want to know what were you doing outside my bedroom window? Are you some kind of ert?” she clamoured.

“Is that how you greet an old friend? Well FYI I wasn’t being a ert. I was just on my way to collect some wood, happens that I heard a retarded scream coming from this place. So I thought that why not check it out and that’s when I saw you.” He explained.

“Why not give an old friend a hug!” he said and open his arms.

“No way, stay away from me!” she said and took a step back.

“Well that’s disappointing. So I think I better get going now. Dad might worry.” He said and wave goodbye before going off.

Minhye just stare at him and laughed, “You got to be kidding me.” She mumbled before going in to clean up the place.

Midnight came and her parents finally came back home.

“Mom and dad you’re finally home.” She said.

“Now is not the time dear, mom and dad is tired. Goodnight.” With that they entered the room and closed the door shut.

Disappointed, she went into her room.

“Psst. Psst. Mihye.” She heard a voice calling her name from outside.

Afraid, she ignored it but the voice called her again.

“Who are you?” she said and stand in a defence position.

“Calm down, it’s just me!” Daehyun replied.

Heaving a long sigh, she put the pillow down. “What are you doing here in the middle of the night?” she retorted.

“I’m just paying a small visit and asking if you want to go out to the farm.” And force out a smile which made him look dorky.

“At this kind of timing? You’re crazy.” She laugh at the thought of it.

“But when we were younger, we would do this all the time.” He said with a slight disappointment in his tone.

“Well look here Daehyun that was in the past. We are talking about the present now, unfortunately I don’t do this kind of things anymore. If you want to do it, you can find someone else to do it with you.” She replied mercilessly, not thinking about Daehyun feelings at all.

Daehyun look down, “Well its fine. I guess you just got back and you are kind of still adjusting so I won’t bother you.” He replied.

He carve a fake smile and waved goodbye, “If you ever need me, you can always find me in the farm though. I will always be there.” In a hopeful tone.

After Daehyun left, Minhye lay on the mattress and continued staring at the ceiling but this time her thoughts was on Daehyun. Minhye had that guilty feeling, she thought that she was bit too harsh on him.

“Well it’s not my fault either. He was being like that, what I can say.” She thought to herself.

Before she knows it, she has fallen into a deep sleep.

The next morning when she woke up, she find herself all alone. For sure her parents have gone out to work. She made herself breakfast and settle down at the front to eat.

She felt calm with the morning breeze and the beautiful scenery of the fields in front of her with kids running around.

She thought that she might spend her time walking around the village because it has been years since she last came here.

Minhye decided to have shower before venturing out, she grabbed her towel and clothes. She went at the back of the house to where the toilet was located.

She opened the bathroom door and enters the bathroom. She was so shocked she couldn’t keep shut. The roof has a huge hole in it, so there is light shining in and in the centre of the room is a huge well-look alike.

She peer into the hole.

“I have to throw this bucket and pull the water out to bath?” she uttered.

The well was really deep and the water, Mihye was doubting whether it is clean or not. She placed her clothes at the side and threw the bucket in as she was pulling the heavy bucket up with the rope, without knowing it she accidently knock her clothes into the well.

“No!” she yelped.

“My clothes, they’re gone.” She cried as though her life was ending. “They are limited edition.” She cried in disbelief.

She decided to go back in the house and get a new pair of clothes. As she was making her way back Daehyun who happened to be walking by saw Minhye looking down.

“Hey, what’s wrong? You look like…I don’t know how to say it but you look sad.” Daehyun asked.

“My pair of limited edition clothes fell in the well.” She answered.

Daehyun tried to hold back his laughter, “So that’s why.”

“It’s a big deal because those clothes are custom handmade and super expensive.” She responded.

“Let’s turn that crown upside down, why not you go have your shower first. I’ll bring you somewhere that will definitely cheer you up.” He said, trying to enlighten her.

Minhye agreed and went to shower while Daehyun wait for her. After her shower, he went to bring her into the woods.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked.

“Somewhere magically.” He replied.

Finally they reached a very beautiful place. Minhye jaw dropped, it was such a beautiful sight. The waterfalls and the trees with beautiful looking flowers. Unlike other waterfalls she has been too, it was slightly different.

She stared at the place in awe. “Why didn’t I come to this place before?”

“You did, when we were younger. We come here every time to play in the water and catch fishes but few weeks later you moved away without any notice. Not even a goodbye.”

Minhye felt guilty, “It wasn’t me. It was my parents. To come to think of it, I wished I didn’t move to Seoul.” She replied.

“Well little Miss Poppins, let’s not get too nostalgic and all. Why not tell me about your life in the city? Got yourself a boyfriend yet?” he smirk.

“Not a single guy ever lasted long with me, they said I had quite a temper.” She replied and threw stones.

“Well, I’m not surprise. Only someone with the patience as huge as the sea is able to stand you.” He replied with a small laugh.

“Oh please I’m not that terrible.” She paused. “Well maybe a little but I have my good side.”

“I would want to see that good side.” Daehyun looked at the sky.

“It’s getting dark. It’s going to rain soon, I think we better get going.” He said.

Both of them stands up and leave the place. Being the gentleman he is, Daehyun sent Minhye off.

“Well I better get going. See you soon though.” He said.

“I want to say I’m sorry, I had quite a bad temper last night.” She apologized.

Feeling pleased he laugh, “This is something big. An apology coming from you. Oh well, I guess I’m sorry too. I was being quite creepy, being here and there all the time.” He replied.

“How about a truce?” Minhye ask and hands out her hand for a handshake.

“Truce.” He said and shake her hand.

-----

A/N: This is a chapter slightly longer. Anyways, I hope this chapter hasn't failed you guys. Subscribe and comment, would be nice. I hope you guys would support me! Thank you.