Chapter o3

Hoofbeats

The next morning, like any other days her parents would be out early in the morning to work and only to be back home at midnight. She went out to the kitchen and to find a small note place at the counter.

“Take care of yourself. Here is your allowance, spend wisely. Yours truly, Mom and Dad.” She read aloud.

After doing her morning routine, she took the money her parents left for her and slot it in her pocket. She decided to go out for a morning walk around the village since she didn’t get to do it yesterday.

The thought of her clothes falling in the well made her depressed for a moment but to come to think of it something was odd. If those clothes fell in, it should at least be floating but today morning she didn’t even see a piece of clothing in the well at all.

She didn’t want to think too much so she shrugged it off. She was walking and come across a group of children playing around in the dirt. To see them getting all dirty made her frown.

“What is so fun about getting dirty?” she thought to herself.

The dirt didn’t even bothered them at all just as long as they have fun is enough to make them happy.

“Maybe I should learn to be happy? At least I won’t be so depressed about moving here.” She mumbled.

She continued her walk when suddenly she heard someone calling out her name. She turn her head around and to be greeted by an old couple.

“Minhye dear, it’s been a long time when did you come back?” the old lady asked.

“I just moved in yesterday. Excuse me but do I know both of you?” she replied with a question.

“Just as I expected, moving to Seoul wasn’t a good idea at all. Your parents were so stubborn they chose money over family.” The old lady complained.

“Excuse your grandma, she can be quite short tempered. We are your grandparents, it’s been a long time you might have forgotten. So have your parents taken care of you well?” her grandpa asked.

“I guess things were still the same. They have taken care of me well, I guess.” She replied.

“Well that doesn’t sound really convincing. Why did you guys moved back here so suddenly?” he asked.

“Well, mom and dad’s business wasn’t doing very good so it went bankrupt and all of our property was taken away, so we had no choice but to move back.”

“You must have been really sad, how about coming to grandma and grandpa house! I have baked some chocolate chip cookies and brownies!” her grandma exclaimed.

“Your grandma gets excited to easily too. By the way you can call me grandpapa and your grandma grandmamma. A lot of people call us that!” he whisper.

She chuckle and nods. She follows as her grandma drags her all the way to their house, chattering and laughing nonstop while on their way there.

She sits in the dining room with her grandpa. He was entertaining her with jokes and stories while her grandma went to fetch some cookies and brownies for them.

“Here you go, fresh from the oven.”

Minhye grabs one of the cookies and ate it, “It’s so delicious!” she exclaimed.

“Well what can I say? Your grandmamma is the best baker and chef in the village.” She replied proudly.

She went back into the kitchen to get some juice.

“So how is your stay here for now? Adjusting very well?” her grandpa asked, out of the blue.

“It’s really different here, like I mean in terms of everything. I like it here.” She replied with a smile.

“You were so young went I last saw you. So have you met Daehyun yet? Ever since you left, he was all alone. You are like his one and only friend that he has.” He said and pop a brownie in his mouth.

“The first time I met him, I thought he was some sort of creeper. Literally like everywhere I go, he’s there but eventually I found him okay.”

“He must have miss you a lot.” He laughed.

Minhye choked on a brownie, “Juice coming up!” her grandma shouted from the kitchen and hurriedly give Minhye a glass of juice.

Her grandpa just laugh, “You must have been really shock when I said that.”

Minhye could only nod.

After having a long chat with her grandparents, she decided to continue her walk around the place before night falls.

“Feel free to come back any time!” both her grandparents chorused.

“I will!” she shouted from a distance.

She continue walking and enter a farm, a familiar looking one too. She look at all the animals and in the group was a familiar looking figure.

Daehyun look up and was shock to see Minhye, he walk towards her with a smile.

“Well I’m surprise!” he said.

“I was just walking by, so what are you doing there?” she ask curiously.

“Milking the cows, why want to try?” he smirk.

“Oh no please, I’m not touching those…” she pause “Whatever those things are called.” She said in disgust.

“Towner, as expected.” He said trying to provoke her.

“Are you trying to provoke me?” she retorted.

“Nope, just stating the fact.” He grin mischievously.

Minhye was fuming, she was so mad that Daehyun was underestimating her, “It’s true what people say, you have quite a temper.” He said.

That sentence triggered her anger. She balled her fist and scream at the top of her lungs before storming away.

Daehyun just chuckle, “I’ll cheer her up later.” He thought to himself and continue with his work.

Minhye wanted some time alone so she went to the place where Daehyun brought her to yesterday. She sat by the waterfall and threw stones.

“Stupid friend. You call yourself my friend. Brat.” And continue spatting whatever word that comes through her mind.

Suddenly she heard a sound. She stands up and listens to it carefully. Curious she follows the sound. Going deeper and deeper into the woods, the sound became louder and louder.

To her surprise, she finds an injured horse deep in the woods. Its leg was being caught under a huge trunk. Having the urge to help the horse was strong but comparing the size of the trunk and her, her strength is not enough to push it.

So she could only now rely on her intelligence. She thought for a moment and finally she has an idea. She quickly put her idea to test and quickly set it up.

After setting everything up, the only thing to do now was to lift the thing off the horse’s leg. With all the strength that she have she pressed onto the log and it lifted the trunk off the horse’s leg.

It struggle to stand. Finally standing on its feet, Minhye notice that its leg was badly wounded and it needs to be taken care of immediately. Minhye tried approaching the horse but it avoided her.

“I’m here to help. Let’s take you out and treat you wounded leg, okay?” she said, hoping that it would listen.

She tried approaching it for the second time, shocked the horse didn’t avoid her unlike the first time. She the horse softly and whisper, “I’m here.”

She slowly brought the horse out of the place.

Meanwhile Daehyun was busy drying clothes.

“Where did you get this expensive looking clothes dear?” Mrs Jung asked.

“It’s not mine mom, it’s Minhye’s.” He answered.

“Okay, that’s sweet of you. Anyways dad wants you to clean the stable later. So you better hurry.” Mrs Jung inform him.

“Okay mom.” He said and make his way towards the farm.

He was busy preparing the stuff to clean the stable, “Daehyun?” someone calls his name, he look up to see who and see Minhye.

“I need your help.”

-----

A/N: I finally updated after three hectic days! I was out for my freshmen orientation programme and so I wasn't able to update. I finally did it today! So I hope I didn't disappoint you guys. I would love to see people commenting on how is my story. Comment and Subscribe! Thank You!