Chapter o5

Hoofbeats

The next day Daehyun decided to pay a little visit to a good friend of his. On his way to Minhye’s house, he met her parents who happened to be leaving the house.

“Good morning, Mr and Mrs Park.” He greeted the both of them with a huge smile.

Mr and Mrs Park was so surprised to see him, “Good morning Daehyun, you have grown up to be such a handsome young man.” Mrs Park praised him.

Daehyun cheeks flushed pink, shy and embarrassed he could only nod in response.

“Hurry dear, we are getting our bonus today! That adds up to our savings.” Mr Park said in a hurry.

Mrs Park smiled and hurriedly walked away trailing behind her husband. Daehyun could just shake his head, how lonely Minhye’s life could have been. Her parents cared about the money more than what their daughter needs. Daehyun pity her so much.

Minutes after Minhye’s parents left, Minhye came out of her house. Still half awake. Daehyun laughed at the unusual sight before him. Minhye paused and her eyes widened in horror. She hurriedly ran into her house.

“What are you doing here early in the morning?” she shouted from inside.

“I was just checking if you might need any help with Mocha.” He replied.

“Why early in the morning?” she yelled.

“I didn’t know that you might turn out like that. It’s okay you have your shower and breakfast, I’ll go check on Mocha.” He said and went to the back of the house where Mocha slept.

He went over to Mocha and untie the neck rope and brought her somewhere. Minhye on the other hand felt extremely embarrassed that Daehyun had to see her in such an unglamorous state. She hurriedly had her shower and breakfast.

After doing all the necessary things, Minhye decided to look for Daehyun and Mocha. She thought that probably he would be at the farm helping his dad but when she reached the farm, no one.

Mrs Jung who happened to meet Minhye asked her, “What are you doing here Minhye?”

Minhye was startled, “Oh, I was just checking out if Daehyun could be here with Mocha by any chance.” She said.

“He was here a while ago, but he went out. He said he wanted to bring Mocha out.” She said.

MInhye who was fuming inside had to control her anger. How could he bring Mocha out without her permission? Minhye thanked Mrs Jung and went to look for the two of them. All the while she was rambling inside about how Daehyun brought out Mocha without her consent since she wasn’t fully healed yet.

While she was walking she happened to notice two familiar figures, she fold her sleeves and stormed up to them.

“Daehyun what do you think you are doing bringing Mocha out without telling me?” emphasizing the last word.

Daehyun was startled, “Hold your horses girl, I didn’t planned to kidnap Mocha anyway. Here you can have your horse back.” He said and hands over Mocha to her.

She snatched the rope from his hands, “Thank you. Will you excuse me, Mocha and I have some bonding session to do.” She said.

Halfway she stopped her tracks, “One more thing, I want you to give me five days alone with just me and Mocha without you in our way. Is that clear?” without waiting for his response she walked away.

Daehyun drooped his shoulders and sighed. He made his way back to the farm where he will be working on the farm work.

Minhye brought Mocha back to her house. She released the rope and glared at Mocha, “What did I tell you about going out with strangers?” she asked.

Minhye was trying her best to communicate with Mocha but every time she tried doing so, she don’t get the response that she wanted and then ending up losing her temper way too easily.

She tried several ways, one of them was trying to speak horse language since speaking Korean had not been of a great help to her.

After getting tired of talking she sat down abruptly, “I give up. If you are going to continue treating me like this. What’s the use.” She said.

In the midst of her sulking, a miracle happened. Mocha sat beside Minhye and laid it’s head on her lap. Minhye was so shocked with the sudden reaction. She was hesitant at first then slowly she its head.

“This is a really nice feeling.” She smiled.

Mocha looked up at Minhye with its mouth curved at the end, “Are you smiling?” Mocha asked, totally in shocked.

Mocha flipped her forelock, “I got to admit it, you really do love flipping your hair.” She said.

They stayed at that position till the sunsets. The beautiful view and scenery, she was starting to feel comfortable living in her village. Mocha was starting to open up to Minhye even more and she hoped it will stay as it is, because that’s how she liked it.

Before going off for bed, she gave Mocha her dinner and then brought her to the back where Minhye had specially prepared for Mocha to sleep.

“I’ve made this place especially for you so hope you’ll sleep well.” She said and kissed Mocha.

Mocha responded with a , “That’s cute and disgusting at the same time.” She replied with a laugh before going into the house.

She changed into her pyjamas, suddenly she heard the door opened followed by chattering and murmuring. She peeked to see who it was.

Surprised to see it was her parents, what was surprising that they appeared to be drunk. It was the first time ever she saw her parents getting drunk.

She didn’t want to approach them so she closed the door shut and went to sleep.

The next morning, she woke up. She walked past her parents’ room and the awful smell from last night was lingering in her parents’ room. Her parents haven’t woke up from their sleep yet which was really unusual.

Curious she decided to follow her parents to work, since she never knew what they worked as ever since they moved here.

Minhye stayed in her room until her parents woke up for work. She quietly stayed at a safe distance and followed behind them, hoping that they wouldn’t notice she was following them.

She followed them to an old looking café, there their parents changed into their working uniforms and set for work. Minhye stayed and observed.

Six hours of intense observing she noticed that her parents was leaving the place.

“Why do they finished work so early but only come back at midnight?” she thought to herself, confused and curious.

She then picked up a newspaper and covered her face so she could not be seen. After that she continued following them, she realised her parents was going into a very dark and secluded place. She peeked at the corner of the wall.

There was a lot of people there and she could tell on the spot those people there are gamblers. Probably this is where her parents got the extra cash from.

From a distance she saw both her parents gambling all the money they earned, in a blink of an eye everything was gone like the wind.

Inside of her she felt a huge disappointment towards her parents. If they were so desperate enough to go back and earn fast money this was not the way, instead it will make you lose your money even more.

In the midst of all of the noise, a conversation caught Minhye’s attention.

“I heard you have a beautiful looking daughter. How about betting her in this?” an old man asked her dad.

Minhye was so shocked with that statement, she prayed so hard that her dad and mom would say no. How could a parent bet on her daughter like that?

“Okay.” Her dad said.

That made her legs feel weak, she was in a state of shock that she could faint anytime soon.

“That’s the way. Come on, it’s not like it’s your first time right?” that man smirked,

Minhye had her jaw dropped, “That means dad and mom didn’t bet on me once but more?”

She couldn’t control her tears, she ran and ran. She had no clue but she ran as fast as her legs could carry. Reaching in front of her house her legs couldn’t take it anymore. She fell on her knees and cried.

“What was my dad thinking when he said that?” she thought to herself.

“Do they not love me anymore? Is money so important to them till them have to do all of this?” all those questions that ran through her mind.

Daehyun who happened to be walking by approached her, “Minhye?”

Minhye looked up, her eyes filled with tears. Daehyun was surprised, he didn’t want to question anymore and just pulled her into a hug.

Minhye cried in his shoulders, she couldn’t even speak nor think. It was as if her world was falling apart. Mocha silently approached them and huddled.

“You don’t have to say anything to me, just cry your hearts out. I’m here.” Daehyun whispered in her ears.

During that night the three of them cried through the night, sharing the sadness together. Since that was what friends are for.

-----

A/N: I had a funny feeling when  typed out this chapter, the excited feeling. I don't know why but I am. Anyways comment and subscribe! I would really LOVE to hear what you guys think about the story.