Not Mute

My Contract with Mr. Byun.

 


[Hyemi's POV]

After arriving home, I head to sleep and forget to shut the window. I lightly snore as I have been sleep driven this passing day as I think about the deal Baekhyun asked me to join. -Why me?- This thought has always lingered in my mind for who knows how long, it might've been there since Baekhyun asked but I'm not sure.

 

Soon, the sun light blasted through my slightly opened window sill and I flinch when the sunlight meets my eyes. I roll over, and go back to sleep. -It's Saturday anyway...Saturday... SHOOT!- I get up abruptly and instead end up meeting the floor. -Ouch, me and my clumsiness.-

 

I rub my head before getting of the floor. I check the time and widen my eyes. 11:30 AM. I rush in the bathroom and grab my toothbrush hurriedly making me trip over again. -Must be bad luck.- 

 

"HyeMi! Come down! It's 12!" A voice calls. -12?- I hurriedly sprint to my clock and check the time. 11:30 AM. -Shoot! I forgot this was dead.- I hit my head lightly at my forgetfulness. I quickly change and head down the stairs, grabbing my apron on the way.   

 

"I'm coming!" I shout. Yes, you read that right, I shouted. I spoke. It's not the first time I spoke but I have the tendency to not talk to people I don't know or trust. 

 

"Aigoo! Look at you! Let's get this shop working, shall we?" A old fragile looking lady said kindly. 

 

"Sure." I bowed, "oh. ajumma? I have to meet someone at 1pm today, can I?" I asked. Wow. That was the longest sentence I've said in months.

 

"I told you, Hyemi don't go calling me ajumma, just call me Aunt Su. We're family after all these years, yes? Sure you can go, meeting a friend?" She asked.

 

"You could say so, Aunt Su." I said.

 

"Let's go and get ready for this old Bubble Tea shop now, shall we?" She instructed kindly.

 

"We shall." I worked in a Bubble Tea shop where these two kind elders worked at. They took me in as I had no family and raised me like their own. Soon, I got older and so did they. They were already too old to manage the shop and even wanted to retire, they even consulted me about it and I objected the idea. They seemed surprised as I had no connection with them and the shop. I asked them if I could take it and they said I had to talk. I was scared at first but, they sent me to special class in helping me be able to regain my talking skills.

 

I never ever told them why I decided to turn into a mute girl and never socialize, not gaining a friend from how many years but then, I met Sehun. He comforted me like a brother would and gave me hope. I opened my mouth to talk when needed and turned mute blocking out the world from me at other times. I stared at the time and crowds of people came piling in making it pretty much busy. "MIMI!!" I heard Sehun shout. Why was I so sure it was him? It's all because he was the only one to call me that. 

 

"Mimi?" Baekhyun muttered, "oh? It's you! It's you!" Baekhyun pointed to me. I simply waved and bowed to the guests.

 

"You know her?" Another guy nudged Baekhyun.

 

"Yeah, she's from school." He simply replied, "this is Jong In by the way." Baekhyun smiled as he introduced one of his friends. 

 

"Mimi! How long has it been when I had my bubble tea?!?" He sulked and I giggled. I put two fingers in front of his face telling him two days. "That's still too long! Other people have it everyday!" I shake my head and lightly giggle.

 

"Oh! It's you again!" Another voiced sounded. I turned around to see 8 handsome boys coming in the crowded shop. I bowed and looked at one person. Xiumin. I gestured my hand towards the upper level where, it was less crowded and they followed. 

 

I sped down and told the unni waiter to serve the 12 boys and of course, she agreed. After she took their orders and, went into the kitchen to make them. I sighed as I took the last step towards the boys table, I served them and Sehun had to pull me down to introduce me. I bowed again and again without saying a word and left in a hurry.

 

"Aigoo. Isn't it past 1 now?" Aunt Su said I looked at the time. 1:10 PM. It's late but Sehun and his hyungs are still upstairs and Baekhyun is one of them. Nevertheless, I sighed and made my way out forgetting to take my notebook with me. 

 

"I'm so sorry, I'm late." Baekhyun panted in front of the waiting me. I noticed I didn't have my notebook so I grabbed one of his arms gently and surprised him. "W-what are you doing?" I ignored his question and gently wrote on his arm some words.

 

'You're twenty minutes late.' It supposedly said.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry!" He bowed many times before I let out a giggle. 

 

'I'm joking! I just came too.' 

 

"Really? You sure? It's 1:30pm." He said and I nodded smiling. "Okay then, but to make it up to you, let's go get some ice cream." I nodded happily and clapped my hands. "You like ice cream?" 

 

"Yes..." I whispered, ever so quietly like the gentle breeze in a summers day.

 

"You spoke!!!" He exclaimed immediately. I heaved a sigh and took his arm once again.

 

'I did say, I wasn't mute.' 

 

"But-" I put my finger on his mouth signaling him to not to talk and so I continued writing in his arm.

 

'Doesn't mean that I don't talk, okay? I've talked - like you heard, Sehun say just before.'

 

"You heard?" 

 

'Yes...' I wrote, 'I was bringing the bubble tea when I heard.' 

 

"Oh." Was all Baekhyun had to say. "Urm... How about we go on a date sometime, to get to know each other?" 

 

'Sure.' I wasn't surprised at the fact he wanted a date to know each other but he seemed a bit flustered.

 

"It's all for the contract, okay? We need to make it seem somewhat real." He said flustered and I nodded slowly. 

 

'Well, talking about the contract, can I see it?' I wrote slowly on his arm. 

 

"Sure!" He hands over the neatly typed contract full of detail and I scan it. I take awhile and he whines. "Hurry up!" He whines from time to time. I grab his arm again.

 

'Not the patient one, ay?' He nods and I hand back the contract, all signed. 'We have to make rules.'

 

"Sure, you can't go without rules right?" He said and I nodded. I head towards the swing and gesture for him to do the same. "But we also have to have something to write it on." 

 

'Can we do that on Monday?' I write on his arm.

 

"The lazy one, ay?" He copies me and I smack him gently.  'I am not! Sunday, I'm busy and Monday we can do it after school. Also I don't have pen and paper here.' I slowly write on his hand.

 

"Can't you just go get it?" He argues. 'No, once I go in the shop I'll just start working again.' "That's harsh?" 

 

'No, it's agreement I did.' 

 

"Like this one?" He blinks and I smack him again, "I will assume you like hitting people." I duck my head and pout. 

 

"No I don't." I mutter under my breath.

 

"Oh? You talked again!" He comments and I turn my head towards him glaring, "Ooooooo scary~" he taunts and I hit him hard in the stomach making him topple over in pain.

 

"HEY, WAIT!" I turn around and blink at a crouching man, "We will introduce a new rule everyday, okay?" I nod in agreement.

 

I stomp off and head home while smiling. No matter what he does, you always end of smiling at his cheerful attitude. "This is getting interesting," you whisper and giggle on your own. 

 

"What so interesting, Hyemi?" Sehun asks blinking at me.

 

"Oh, Sehun!" 

 

"Oh ho! You're speaking!" He yelps and I smack him.

 

"What's so wrong with that?" I ask pointing at him.

 

"Well, you're always the girl who's mute and so 'invisible'" he air quotes while talking.

 

"I'm not mute! I hate talking okay?" I burst.

 

"I know, I've been with you ever since... Forever!" He exclaims and I hit him again. "Man, Baekhyun hyung was right, you do like hitting people." He mutters while rubbing his arm.

 

"He... what?" I ask.

 

"He said that you liked hitting people but how could he know? You haven't talked right?" He questioned looking at me and I shrug while cleaning the tables. 

 

'Go home, now.' I write on Sehun's arm.

 

"Being mute again, hey?" He says and I attempt to hit him again but he dodges and waves me good bye before leaving. I slightly chuckle and continue on my work. -I must wake up early tomorrow for that photo shoot.- I thought about my schedule that is happening tomorrow before I sleep that late night. -Go to the café and then, do my homework.- I sigh at the amount of work I have to do on Sunday -Can't help it I guess.- I switch off the lights and lay on the bed, recalling the happenings of today. -Stupid! Why did you talk?!?- 

 


Author's Comment: Okay, I made Hyemi talk... Seriously. I didn't intend for that to happen so quickly I guess my hands just typed something heheh. But now I have another plan for the story so yea... I hope you got to know about the characters a bit more. Thanks for your love and support!