Chapter 5

Wooing Ms. Arrogant

Tiffany caught a cab in rush.

'What the hell is daddy doing in our house..Doesn't he have a business meeting?' Tiffany thought, confused.

Tiffany's dad is a very busy man as they run a phone company, so Tiffany is confused as to why her dad is at home this early.

After paying the driver, she entered their house and there she saw her father chatting with a couple and a guy who she thinks is their son.

"Good afternoon, Daddy, and hello to you, too." Tiffany said politely, catching their attention.

"Oh here you are, Miyoung!" Mr. Hwang said, grabbing Tiffany gently by the arm. "Please excuse us."

Mr. Hwang dragged her to the garden, and spoke. "I'm sorry, dear. I'm really sorry."

"Huh? Dad...what's going on?" Tiffany asked.

"Miyoung...y-you're getting married." Mr. Hwang said. "I'm so sorry."

"Me? what? why?" 

"Our company is near to undergo bankruptcy...and this is the only way to save it. I'm so sorry for doing this..I'm so sorry." Mr. Hwang cried taking Tiffany aback.

"D-Dad..it's fine...it's okay. Don't cry now."

 

They went back to the living room where their visitors are.

"So this is my daughter, her name's Miyoung." Mr. Hwang said, smiling.

"Good afternoon, I'm Miyoung, but I prefer to be called with my English name, which is Tiffany. Nice to meet you." Tiffany said, smiling fakely, though it seems real to the elderly.

"You're so pretty, dear. Oh this is my son." The lady said, before turning to her son, "Introduce yourself."

"Hi, I'm Nichkhun...nice to meet you." They guy said before smiling towards Tiffany. 

"Why don't you guys talke to each other. treat her well Khun!" Nichkhun's father said.

 

 

The next day, Yuri was scolded by her English teacher.

"Ms. Kwon, you do know that you're near to flunking English, right?!" Mr. Joo said, clearly disappointed.

"I know..." Yuri mumbled. "You know? then why aren't you doing anything about it?" the teacher exclaimed.

"I'm sorry Mr. Joo, I'll ask for help." She apologized, "Alright...you may go now."

 

"You're awful, Yul." Hyoyeon teased."How could you fail English?" she laughed.

Yuri glared. "Hey! It's not like you're in a better shape!" she snorted.

"So..who are you getting help from?" Yoona asked.

"Dunno." 

"How about Jessica?" Seohyun teased.

"Hmm..That could be...but I'm sure as hell she won't help me."

"Just try, Yul." Hyoyeon said. "Fine."

When Yuri was infront of the three's table, Taeyeon stood up, alarmed.

"Woah, calm down shorty." Yuri teased.

"What do you want?" Jessica coldly asked.

"Help me...in English...please." Yuri mumbled, but the three were able to catch up on it.

"What benefit will she get from that?" Tiffany asked, in perfect English.

Yuri was puzzled. "Fine, what will she get from helping you?" Tiffany asked again, this time in Korean.

"I...I'll stop the bullying."

"DEAL!" Taeyeon exclaimed, and got a scary glare from Jessica. "Oops..sorry, but think about it Jessica."

"Fine. After school come by my classroom." Jessica said.

"Thanks."

 

The class finished, and Yuri come by Class A's classroom to fetch Jessica.

"So...what exactly in English are you flunking at?" Jessica asked, as they sat in the library.

"Grammar...you know..verbs and stuff."

"If the subject is singular, the verb should be in its s-form. If the subject is plural, the verb shoulf be in its base form. Do you get it?"

"Yes." Yuri nodded. 

"I'll give you a quiz" 

 

The tutoring continued and Yuri can't help but look at Jessica's serious face.

'Beautiful.'

"Oh..." Jessica mumbled as her ballpen dropped on the floor.

They bent to pick it up and their fingers touched. Yuri felt blood rushing up to her cheeks.

"Here." Yuri said, and gave the pen to Jessica.

Finally, the lesson ended.

"Thank you...and I'm sorry." Yuri said sincerely.

"It's fine." Jessica said, smiling lightly.

"So...friends?" 

"Sure...friends."