Sixteen

Cruel Fate

I lay in bed and stared at the the ceiling. I had my phone gripped tightly in my hand and I was so tempted to call Yongguk and break the news to him. I didn't know why but I couldn’t. I bit my lip and closed my eyes, feeling a tingle run down my spine. I placed a hand onto my stomach and felt my heart jerk at the thought that this was Yongguk’s child. 

 

In the end, I fought it and put my phone down, deciding not to call Yongguk. I was going to see him soon, so I just closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep. I woke up at about three in the morning to my phone ringing. I squinted at the bright screen and quickly picked up. 

 

“Is something wrong, Yongguk?” I said, struggling to speak clearly. 

 

“Hey.” Yongguk greeted. “I can’t sleep.” 

 

“How come? Don’t you feel well?” I asked, rubbing my eyes. 

 

“No, it’s not that…” he sighed. “I just… I just want to hear your voice.”

 

I closed my eyes at the sound of his distressed voice. I wanted to comfort him and tell him that everything would be okay, but I couldn’t. Something was definitely wrong. I could sense it. 

 

“You there, babe? Did I wake you?” Yongguk asked. 

 

“No, no.” I shook my head. “What do you want me to say? So you can hear my voice.” 

 

The phone call lasted an entire hour with us both feeling tension but too afraid to admit it. The way his voice strained when he tried to force a laugh. The way my stomach twisted every time he exhaled a breath of worry. We both were anxious. 

 

The next day came unexpectedly, with the sun rising quicker than I wanted it to. The time neared nine and I paced my room, Daehyun’s friends were on his way to pick Yongguk up. I stared intently at the text Yongguk sent me in the morning and sighed. 

 

“I’ll see you later. Eat breakfast and look pretty for me. Love you.” 

 

I jumped at the sound my door being opened and then revealing Daehyun. 

 

“Hey.” he said. “You alright? Youngjae has set off to go get Yongguk.” 

 

I nodded and tried smiling at him in a way of showing my gratitude, but it probably came out forced and fake. I sat on my bed, feeling my legs shake uncontrollably. 

 

“You’ll be fine.” Daehyun placed a hand on my shoulder before leaving me alone in my room. 

 

I packed my bags quickly and before I knew it, Daehyun ran into my room, telling my Yongguk was in the driveway. I quickly zipped up my duffel bag and swung it over my shoulder, rushing out the door to meet Yongguk. I stepped out of the house saw he standing there, watching Youngjae’s car drive off. 

 

I ran up to him and swung my arms his neck, bringing him close to me as I felt him squeeze my hips. I pulled away and cupped his face in my hands, caressing his checks with my thumb. He was safe and physically right in front of me. It meant that it was the start of our path to starting over. 

 

Just as Daehyun stepped out of the house and closed the door, a black car pulled up in front of Daehyun’s drive way. Before I had time to comprehend and observe the car, three men stepped out of the car and aggressively made their way to us. 

 

My eyes darted in every direction, feeling my airways close. I couldn’t believe what was happening or what was about to happen. Yongguk protectively pushed me behind him and stood his ground. I found Yongguk’s hand and tightly gripped onto it, as if he was my life. In the corner of my eyes I could see Daehyun straightening up and preparing for what was going to happen. 

 

“Are you going somewhere?” one of the men said. 

 

“How is it any of your business, Yang?” Yongguk said back hotly. 

 

It was a side of Yongguk that I wasn’t used to. I knew that he was a drug dealer and a hit man, but I had never associated with that side of him before. With me he was so different that I would forget that he had another side to him. I swallowed and suddenly felt intimidated by the men that were approaching us. 

 

“You owe us a lot.” the man named Yang continued to come closer, taking a gun from his waist band. “You were meant to die.”

 

Then as he got face to face with Yongguk, he shoved the gun barrel into Yongguk’s chest. I gasped and held my breath, while Yongguk remained unfazed. By then the two other men had stood on either side of us, one next to Yongguk and one next to me. 

 

“Sir, I request you step away from them.” Daehyun said slowly, approaching us. 

 

Out of no where, Yang swiftly shot into Daehyun’s shoulder. I gasped and my attention whipped to him, seeing him wincing in pain, grabbing his shoulder instinctively.

 

“What do you want?” Yongguk said lowly. “Stop hurting all these people.”

 

Yang laughed and teasing ran his gun barrel along Yongguk’s heaving chest. 

 

“I want you dead.” Yang whispered. “But since you won’t die, maybe I should kill someone else in your place?”

 

Yongguk instantly stiffened and let his eyes drift to me. Suddenly, the man standing next to me grabbed my arm roughly and dragged me away from Yongguk. I screamed and thrashed in their grip while the other man joined us, grabbing my other arm.

 

“Yongguk!” I cried, seeing his face as I was dragged to their car. 

 

He let my name slip his lips before trying to run to me. As I neared the car, Yang continued to point a gun into his chest. I knew that there was no way that I could have been saved, without hurting the people around me. Just as the men opened the car door, ready to shove me in, Yongguk grabbed onto Yang’s arm. 

 

Bending his arm in a strange direction, Yongguk forced the gun out of Yang’s hand. Then Yongguk threw him to the floor, before kicking him swiftly. I thrashed violently in the men’s grip before feeling a hard impact on my face. I let my head whip to the side before the burning pain kicked in. 

 

I had my head whipped to the side and couldn’t see what was going on. Suddenly another hard slap followed and my vision went hazy, making my head turn. But those few seconds was all it took to change everything. I couldn’t see what was going on but I heard loud grunting and then a series of loud footsteps running towards me. 

 

“Yongguk!” I suddenly heard Daehyun call. 

 

Time stood still. I had managed to turn my spinning head back, just in time to see the surprise and pain in Yongguk’s eyes after the gunshot had gone off. Yongguk stopped mid step as the pain hit him. My eyes widened as I watched Yongguk, my entire world, fall to his knees. 

 

Yang swiftly got up and ran towards the car, shoving me away and towards Yongguk. The three got into the car quickly and drove off, without a trace. Daehyun raced from behind Yongguk towards their car, trying to catch a glimpse of their number plate, or anything that he could hold as evidence. 

 

I shakily got onto my knees and held Yongguk’s shaking figure in my arms. Yang had shot him in the back, right where his lungs were. I stared down at him and felt my entire world crumble in that one stare. His eyes were sad, like he knew he was too hurt to repair. Like he knew there was no more. 

 

“Yongguk.” was all I could utter from my shaking lips.

 

I stared at him in silence as I felt his blood trickle down my lap, soaking my jeans. He smiled at me and let out a struggled cough, wincing. Tears were in his eyes and tears were also in mine. 

 

“You’ll be okay…” I sobbed. “You’ll be fine, Yongguk. I’ll just call an ambulance and-“

 

“Babe,” he whispered, sounding as if talking was a burdening task. “You know it’s over.”

 

“No.” I shook my head. “You’ll be fine. You can’t leave me.” 

 

Yongguk brought a hand up to my cheek. “Please don’t cry.”

 

I bit my lip as more tears fell down my face. I couldn’t fight it anymore. 

 

“Yongguk, I’m pregnant.” I said. “You’re going to be a dad. So please don’t leave me.” 

 

Yongguk stared at me for a while and didn’t say anything. But soon, he cracked a smiled and let tears slip his eyes. I held his hand resting on my cheek and guided it to my stomach. I was losing him, his breaths were coming out shallow and harsh. 

 

“I love you a lot, babe.” he breathed, smiling as his gently caressed my stomach. “And our baby too.” 

 

I gripped tighter onto his hand and nodded. His eyes fell slowly and no matter how much I called and shook him, they wouldn’t open. No matter how much I wept and sobbed, he couldn’t hear me. My chest pinched in pain and the realization came crashing down to me. 

 

“Yongguk?” I called, panicking, not able to accept it. “Yongguk! Please.”

 

I let my hands touch his chest, remembering how sturdy he felt every time he’d hug me. Then I let my shaky hand touch his chin, his lips, nose. I sobbed loudly, wailing because there was nothing else I could do. I let my fingers brush his lips, yearning for one more word. Any word. Or one more kiss. 

 

I lost my entire world.

____________________


Hai friends~ Hope you've enjoyed this story but I'm sad to say that 'Cruel Fate' has ended :'( 

 

BUT WAIT, DON'T LEAVE!

 

I'll be posting an epilogue soon, so please look forward to that. Again, thanks a million, billion, trillion for all the love and support. Please anticipate my next update.