second

The Perks of Being Choi Siwon's Daughter: Caught Up in EunSiHae

Wow. Home has never been this quiet and peaceful since the duo stopped visiting here. I wonder what they're up to again. 

"Wow. It's so quiet in here. It's been so long since this happened." Dad interrupted my thoughts. And he was right. He was scanning through the daily newspaper while having a drink of his Americano. I could smell its aroma even here in the living room.

Ugh. Nothing worth watching. But Dad got a phone call so I eavesdropped as much as I can, ignoring the long distance between us.

"W-what?! When did this happen?! O-okay, Hae, we'll be right there," Dad panicked. I thought it was a call from the company, but then I heard Uncle Hae's name, and I started to get worried.

"What's the matter, Dad?" I asked. My heartbeat rate was going faster by the second.

"Get dressed and be ready. We're gonna go to the hospital. Hyuk's mom is there," he said as he rushed upstairs to get the car keys.

Oh no.

***

"It was over fatigue. Too much working at the shop. Told her not to do it because I'll have my part-time job there anytime today, but she insisted. Ah, thanks for coming by the time he called."

I could feel the sadness immersed in every word he spoke.

"But the doctor said everything's fine! So no need to worry. Rest is all she needs right now. This calls for the part-time worker to do his responsibilities," Uncle Hyuk assured, but now more confidently and cheerfully, though I could still sense that he was still worried about the situation.

"I know she'll get through this, Hyukjae. Your mom is strong just like you," Dad comfortingly said, patting the man's back.

"Yes, she'll get through this. It's just over fatigue, nothing serious! So smile, okay? She's bigger than this stupid sickness," Uncle Hae uttered as he stood up from the couch opposite the bed.

I actually like Uncle Hyuk's mom. Everytime Dad and I would go to Tous les Jours, she would give me enough pastries that would last for almost a week! And I like it. Receiving food is better if it's for free. And seeing her like this pained me.

"Oh, before I forget, I'll buy lunch for everyone. Hae, accompany me, please?" Dad urged.

"Ah, okay, sure. We'll be right back."

"Stay here, Sofie, be with your uncle," Dad said. Whatever that meant, I had no intentions of leaving either - I actually wanted to comfort him.

"Bye, guys." The door shut behind us.

"Well, hi there. We have exchanged casual greetings before, but we never really talked and bonded together, now that you're kind of growing up," Uncle Hyuk said in a soft voice, waving at me.

"Ah, ha, yes. Good to see you, Uncle. But it is indeed unlikely to see you and to talk to you at this situation," I explained, going near him.

"This was unexpected, and no one wanted this," he mumbled as he sat on the couch. I followed him.

"Sorry, in behalf of the two of us. We know that we've caused enough trouble. I'm actually surprised that you didn't tell your Dad to ban us from your house," he slowly said. He then let out a soft chuckle without bothering to open his mouth. I could feel his sincerity. At least, he realized what they had done.

"I'm sorry also for not being a good godchild - I mean, I'm just sorry for thinking the other way about you two. I thought you were just an annoyance for Dad. And because of that, I hadn't realized that you are so important to him. I'm so sorry for telling you this."

Dad was really worried when we were on our way here. I could see it in his eyes. Their bond is really something, I guess. 

"Ah, I was absolutely right. I know you'd think that way about us, of course. But my kid's still too small, not that I don't wanna be with him! I love playing with him, of course, it's just that his mother's always taking care of him, so I spend my time with you, guys. Donghae, too. He's just bored because his little son is with his grandma in Mokpo, and he must wait until he grows up to be a school kid so he can transfer and study here. He hasn't something precious to have a close look on," he added, staring into space.

I smiled. He's actually thoughtful. "Thank you for being there for Dad." I didn't know why I said that though. Oh no. This is too cheesy.

He looked at me and smiled, his eyes even crinkled. His eyes set on a different direction again, like he was in deep thoughts. "Tss. You and your Dad really should be thankful to me! Hah, kidding. Welcome. But I think I'm more thankful to him."

It's slowly sinking into me why Dad has these people as his friends. 

He then the TV and let me watch something. I was grateful. 

I was watching this eerie documentary about Ming Dynasty when he suddenly spoke to me from my right.

"Ah, oh. Since we're talking about him, about your father, do you know that Siwon is an animal?" he asked while looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"W-what?" Gosh, everything's getting confusing. He said that he's thankful to Dad for everything and right now he's telling that Dad is an animal?! What is the meaning of this?!

"Did you know that your Dad is also called as-"

"We're here! And we've brought lots of food!" The door suddenly opened, and Dad and Uncle Hae stormed in the room.

"Ah, right. Thank you very much. You did so much to me. I really appreciate it," the seated man stood up and got the plastic bags from Dad.

"You know it's nothing, right. That's what friends are for!" Dad replied. He smiled so widely that his dimples were showing off.

"Yah, of course that really is it! We got your back, okay?" Uncle Hae added.

I just realized that I was actually watching the little scene in front of me when my facial muscles told me that I was smiling. Gosh, I didn't even notice. 

But, the aura they gave me felt... warm. It was fun watching them, and it felt priceless. I could feel the sincerity their smiles and chuckles gave off, if only I didn't know them, I could tell they were very close biological brothers.

I learned the essence of something. 

This weird and complex word called friendship.

Those subtle facial expressions and kind hand and body gestures just completed my day.

Could this get any better? Something in my chest said that this is good, and it was.

***

"She's all fine now. Thank you for your help!" he said as he flashed out a bright smile.

"Ya, Hyukjae, stop smiling. Your pink gums are showing," Uncle Hae replied, making the jolly man frown suddenly.

Wow, Uncle Hae! A point for you for pissing Uncle Hyuk off! Haha!

Now I'm really enjoying their company. Who knew being with older people is actually a lot more fun?

"Hyuk, hand over the flour please," the younger man said as he gestured his hand to the one he was talking to.

"Are you sure this is right? There's too much flour already! This looks like a white mess!" the other man explained. He couldn't take the "disaster" going on around here.

Banana cake is our thing today. I can't even think why. All I know is that Uncle Hae called earlier this day and told Dad that he and Uncle Hyuk will come over and bake a cake. I was actually expecting for a chocolate mousse or strawberry-filled cakes, but a banana cake?! Oh well, I just acquiesced when Uncle Hyuk said he likes bananas and he loves its cake. I don't think I'll argue with that.

The sound of the creamy and fluffy ingredients mixed together made me my lips. I swear, my stomach hesitated to grumble, but it did. And the sweet, sweet smell of the flavors oozing in the kitchen, ah, so sweet and great.

"How come you just baked today? I never knew you were this good," I asked Uncle Hae, looking at the motion of his hand on the wooden spoon mixing the creamy texture in the big, stainless mixing bowl.

"Well, I learned a lot of baking years ago because of a drama. And I really liked it. But hey, I made pastries here even before! You just didn't know because you don't even come near us," he said as he grabbed a rubber scraper and transferred some to the baking pan. Oh, so it was actually he who baked, like weeks ago? Our home smelled so good that time, but I was so tired, so I went directly to my room and slept.

"And... that's it. We just have to wait until all of these are finished baking," he uttered as he crept under the oven and arranged the pans inside.

"Ah, smells so good," Uncle Hyuk said.

"Hmm, right," I seconded.

"Ah, Uncle Hyuk, what was that thing you were about to say when we were at the hospital? The one that got cut-off?" I am still bothered by that so I didn't prevent my mouth to say that.

"Ah? Wait, what was that..."

"The thing about Dad? Something about Dad that I still don't know?" I slowly said, hoping he'll remember what he should be remembering.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Hmm." He still hasn't grasped it yet. Ugh, please, please, remember it please!

"Eh, the thing about Siwon? Hmm, there are so many. What do you want to know? I can spill everything!" Uncle Hae butted in, putting his arms over the confused man.

"I think it was about... the thing... I ca -"

"Hello world! Always wonderful! Good afternoon, Loves!" Someone suddenly entered the kitchen and yelled at us. You know who.

"Ya! You're late! We already finished baking and where have you been, huh?!" Uncle Hyuk groaned while moving his head and looking at Dad so intently, like he's going to kill him at any moment from now.

"Guys, guys, guys! I bought steak! I realized you all just stay here for dinner and we'll eat together! Let's all have a great time and celebrate life!" What's this all about, Dad. You're at it again. Why.

"What are we even celebrating today, huh?" I asked.

"Hooray for steak! Yes!" Oh no, Uncle Hae looked so excited about this, he might forget about his cake.

"Then let's cook it together!" Dad shouted. Shh, Dad, you're really noisy.

He still didn't answer me. Okay, okay ignore me because you can't see me. Ignore me just because of those big cuts of steak.

***

I closed my eyes as I smelled and devoured everything my nose can catch in front of me. This feast was worth waiting for. Oh so good. 

"Waaaaah, this is amazing! I never had this big one since you last treated us," Uncle Hae said in a childish way. He was really amazed.

"Let us pray first, okay?" 

Of course, Dad. As expected.

"Lord God, source of everything, we thank you for this bountiful feast set on our table today. We thank you for the gift of family and friends who are always there even when we feel the saddest moments in our life."

All eyes were closed as we immersed in us the prayer being said. And I prayed fervently for this.

"May you forgive us for all the sins we had committed. May you shower us with blessings and graces along our ways. You are truly amazing. We love you. Amen," Dad prayed, his words as sincere as ever.

"Amen," we all said in unison. Nothing's better than thanking and praising God for everything He has done for us. Thanks to Dad that is why I know this. 

We satisfied our stomachs by engulfing all kinds of food we could find on the table. Ah, so delicious.

"Aha! Because we have this special moment together with special persons, we would like to present to you, Sofie, a gift that we worked hard to find! The packs of candies we took from you last Christmas!" Uncle Hae beamingly said as he reached out for the paper bag on the floor.

OMG. What. 

But seriously, guys, thank you.

"W-woah, thank you, uncles. I-I never thought that you would actually give me these back, I-I just," I said, stuttering at the act they just made.

"We're sorry for stealing your candies. It's your Dad's fault! He said that no one owned those!" Uncle Hyuk defensively said.

"Your father said he saw you going to the fridge and after searching in it for more than how many minutes, he noticed that you looked furious. And he stole glances at you looking badly at us. So, he thought that those were yours. But we realized it after we've finished everything, so..." Uncle Hae added.

"THANK YOU!!!" I exclaimed. I stood up and shook the two of them in excitement. Wow. Just wow. I never thought I would get these again.

My heart leapt for joy that it gave the go signal for me to hug both of them so tightly, euphoria still in me.

"Just... thank you for being always there for Dad and me, uncles. You two are priceless," I said. I almost believed that I didn't say that because I was never the type to say things like those. So unusual.

"Woah, you all look cute together. Wait, one, two, three, smile!" Dad said and he snapped a picture of the three of us.

I could see my father's dimples, Uncle Hae's showing-off teeth and Uncle Hyuk's gummy smile. I might sound weird, but something in these views lifted up my heart. The feeling that crept up inside of me could melt any freezing heart. 

Aw, so cute.

Who knew cute things come from little joys?

No one.

Until he or she discovers it.