first

The Perks of Being Choi Siwon's Daughter: Caught Up in EunSiHae

"Ya, Siwon, where is my newly bought scarf? That red-and-black-checkered one?"

"Tss. It's just there. Just scan the drawer."

Heaving a sigh is what all I can do right now. And I kind of do this every single day of my damn life.

"Hey! It's not here!" I overheard from upstairs.

"Aish. This monkey is just so lazy. Ugh," my father grumbled as he stood up and left all his paperworks to go upstairs to finally make the so-called "monkey" shut up.

Gosh, they're actually so annoying.

Hey there. Let me introduce myself first before all of you witness this commotion going around in here. I'm Choi Sofie, Choi Siwon's daughter. Yeah, you read that right. I'm the daughter and the only child of the one and only Choi Siwon. Lucky, right? But not all the time. Well, yeah, I get to have certain privileges knowing how prestigious, famous, and financially stable my family is, but sometimes it gets so annoying.

You don't know how stupid and clingy my father is. Though he is actually lovable and thoughtful.

What gets in the way are his friends. His close and best friends. Those two. Uncle Donghae and Uncle Hyukjae. They're just so noisy and annoying, it just ruins my day.

My hatred towards them started when both of them went here in our house last Christmas. They took packs of my candies that I received from my close friends. My friends said to me how tiring and how they managed to get those since those sweet pleasures were really hard to find. Those were my favorites! And we promised to eat those altogether on Christmas Eve while counting down for Christmas Day. Too shallow, but, ugh, you don't understand me because you're not in my place. But still, my Dad let them have those when he saw them in the fridge. That memory .

They were annoying even before that, but I just held it in. I even thought that their friendship was really cute. But time wore on, and it just grew as an annoyance. I saw that coming. Kind of.

One thing that I can't and won't ever forget was when someone just rang a hundred times the doorbell of our house on the crack of dawn. I was awakened by that sound and was terrified for my life. I thought something dangerous happened that my heart skipped a beat and I just jumped off from my slumber though my sleepy head still wanted to embrace the crisp sheets of my longing bed.

"Why is that doorbell ringing so early in the morning?!" Dad mumbled as he stepped out of his room.

"MASI! It's time to go! You didn't forget, right?!" Uncle Hyukjae shouted from downstairs.

"Yah! Wake up, you sleepyhead! It's time!" Uncle Donghae blurted in.

Gosh, they're so noisy! And I haven't even completed my sleep yet! What annoyed me even more was that it was still around 4:30 in the morning. Ugh, I don't know if I can still go back to sleep comfortably.

"Okay, okay! I'm coming!" Dad replied as he stormed into his room again just in time as the two of them were about to enter his room. Probably to annoy him even more.

And I went back to sleep but not as safe and sound as I what just had earlier. This is all your fault, uncles.

Here's another memory that just burns in me whenever I think of it.

I was so excited to go home because Dad sent me a pic and told me that he bought a new puppy. He named it Bugsy. Weird, but, whatever. I didn't even buy food after school because I wanted to rush home and play with the new pet, but I couldn't even find the dog anywhere.

Until I saw Bugsy at the backyard together with Choco and Yuki: Uncle Hyukjae & Donghae's dogs, respectively, as what Dad told me countless of times. And speaking of the devils, they were at the side, watching the three of them play around and dig on the ground. Oh no, wait, I think something's wrong - the dogs are destroying the flowers Mom and I planted! And the two of them were not even doing anything to stop them?! They were busy taking selfies! What the actual hell?! As if bothering me though not complaining is not enough!

This isn't right. My father's gonna hear about this.

"Oh, hi there. You're home," Dad, in his suit and tie, said as he approached me, waving his hand. He always looks dashing, I must say.

"Dad! Can you please tell your friends to please get hold of their little, furry friends?! They're destroying our flowers! My flowers, to be exact!"

"Uh, oh no. Okay, dear. I'll just scold them."

I saw the two of them argue with Dad, though teasingly. I hated that view, how they always take advantage of him. Like, seriously guys, this is what you're gonna repay to Dad for everything he has done to you?! I'm done.

***

"Dad, why are they like this?! You have been so kind to them, but it's like nothing to them. I just don't understand," I said as I immediately stopped doing my homework as Dad came in to my room.

"Sofie, in behalf of them, I'll just say sorry to you. Don't worry about your flowers. I already told the gardener to fix them just like nothing happened," Dad explained as he sat on my bed and grabbed a ball by the bedside drawer.

I faced him while still sitting on the office chair opposite my study table. I inspected him from head to toe. "Why are they behaving like this? Why are they so," I hesitated for a bit to say this, but whatever, "so stupid? They're already old, but they don't even act like real men! Ugh," I grumbled under my heavy sigh.

"Sofie dear. Please don't call them stupid. They are still my close friends and your godfathers. Yes, they seem stupid, but you shouldn't call them that. Only I can call them stupid," he said, lying on my bed while playing with the little ball.

"Dad?!" I uttered in sheer confusion and disappointment.

"Being friends with them has more advantages than what you actually think. And you're also lucky to be so near the two. You should even be thankful to them. If not because of them, you would not even be here in this world," he said, like an all-brainer who knew what happened ever since.

I glared at him, my eyebrows could meet at any time. "W-what? Why? If this is a joke, Dad, this is your last, okay?" But I wanted to listen, so I shoved my homework away.

"I was a really slow guy when it comes to hitting on girls. I don't know what to do when I'm with them, how to approach them or even how to keep the conversation going. But Hyukjae & Donghae helped me get through it. I met your mother and I was astonished by the way her eyes crinkled whenever she smiles and the way she laughs whenever my stupidity and clumsiness hit me. The two of them would set up dates so the two of us can go together and would make excuses so we would be let alone. They would help me plan for dates and choose on what to wear. And when it was time to propose to her, Hyukjae and Donghae made the script! Haha! But I helped! Well, a little bit," Dad uttered to me. I could see how happy he was as he was telling me his story. It's like an undetachable part of him that he's sharing to me.

"Woah, Dad, you're so weak!" I chuckled. "Why aren't you tough enough to get those girls? I mean, you're handsome, rich, famous, you've got everything! Oh, wait, don't get too flattered! But, I didn't know you were like that."

He let out a happy but awkwardly-sounding chuckle. He lied on the bed with his arms and legs stretched out, feeling so relaxed; he seemed he wanted to tell more. And I was still on the chair.

"Being in a famous group is hard, I must say. Always being cool and dazzling in front of the camera, being wrapped up in all those glitz and glamour, these actually get tiring to do. But the brotherhood that we made through the years, and the warmth you get from belonging in a group that treats you like a family though you're not blood-related, gave me the happiness that I never expected. I hope you'll also feel the same way for them, since they're already my family. Not biological, but at least, a big and happy one. They gave me home."

Wow. That - I can't believe I'm gonna say this - hit me. Woah. Words-of-wisdom night, I guess.

"W-woah, Dad, easy. I-I actually like my two uncles... it's just that... they're kind of annoying, and I'm just not used to it. I'm sorry, Dad, for feeling this way... I'll... I'll try to adjust, I guess," I stuttered, feeling bad for what I have thought of them. It's not right for Dad's part. Her daughter hating her Dad's "brothers" is logically wrong, now that I thought of it.

"Now, what's one thing that a monkey, a horse and a fish have in common?" he said from out of the blue. "Well, they're all animals, but what's that one, distinct thing they all share or they have in common?"

Wait, what?! This is so from outer space. I don't even know how to respond to this. "W-w-what? What's this nonsense you're sprouting, Dad?" I shot my eyes at him, and my eyebrows are now closer to my eyes than usual.

He got up from my bed and returned the ball back to its original place. He looked at me while crossing his arms. Oh, those eyebrows are striking again. "You think about it. Think about the answer to that. And make sure to tell me the CORRECT answer," he emphasized, scared that I might miss that part, "so maybe I can forget all of your hatred towards them. Good night and may you have sweet dreams," he said as he shut the door behind him, chuckling at the last word he uttered.

I lingered my vision at the door that just closed. His words are still fresh in my mind. The similarity between a monkey... a horse... and a fish?! What the hell is this?!

I just stared into space thinking about the common thing between those animals. It's already 11:06 pm and I'm still stuck on that question. Thank you, Dad, for helping me in my homework. I really appreciate it. I'm not even halfway in completing it because of your presence tonight and for that bothersome but wonderful question.