third

The Perks of Being Choi Siwon's Daughter: Caught Up in EunSiHae

Their visits to our home became frequent, and we bonded all-day long. They would annoy me even on the trivial things, but I somehow learned to go with the flow. And the waves were clamorous, but riding them was fun.

We also baked and baked other pastries, as what Uncle Hae suggested, being meticulous on every measurement to be made and step to be followed. And we actually did numerous sweet pleasures! Ah, thinking of this made me hungry. So sad.

Dad also told me something heartwarming, well at least for me. I got colds and he remembered something so he told me about it.

He grabbed the medicine out of the fridge and handed a syrup on a measuring cup to me. "You're so sickly."

"I'm not. It's just cold nowadays and my body can't seem to handle it," I argued.

"You are. When you were really little, your uncles and I would actually take turns in guarding you and giving you medications. Scared you might actually throw up."

"I don't do that, okay?!"

"God forbid." He raised his eyebrows the same time as he raised his glass of water.

"But wait, uncles? You mean..." I gave him a are-you-thinking-what-I'm-thinking? look and I competed my eyebrows with his.

"Exactly," he strongly implied, even aiming his pointing finger to me, agreeing with what I just proposed.

I didn't know they were that thoughtful. I didn't know they cared about me that much. I felt enlightened and shocked.

"They were even the ones who insisted that you should be brought to the hospital when your fever got really high." He continued to drink his water, finishing it until the last visible drop.

Oh. Why have you just told me this, Dad. How nice of you.

"But Dad, if they already took care of me ever since, why can't I clearly remember those things? And... why am I not close to them since then?" I asked out of great confusion that my mind felt so boggled.

"Of course you can't remember them clearly because you were so young and little back then! And when you were on the brink of growing up, your uncles got their big breaks in their careers and businesses, so they hardly spend time with me during those days. And you always go straight to your room after class and you often lock yourself up there. Of course you haven't caught up to anything around here. But now they're here! Hooray for that!"

The glass he used was placed by him on the sink. He left the kitchen, leaving me hanging here beside the counter.

I heard the sound of the working compartments of the fridge and the cringing sound of the glass plate and fork being put on the sink as I finished eating my after-dinner snack. With these low-pitched sounds, my mind rested on the thought of having those people as my close companions. A wave of realization and reflection hit me, bothering my conscience. I should've been good to them, but ignorance overshadowed the possibility of getting to know them more.

***

I went out of my bedroom because I decided to play with Bugsy. He is just so cute that I want to squeeze him until his insides burst. Oops, sorry for that. But really, he's so cute. Now that I thought of it, cute is an understatement for that little pup.

Fortunately, it's the holiday season, so I am totally free! Hah. I waited too long for this just to do things I have long wanted to do.

And of course, as expected from a businessman, Dad's not here. But I think he's coming soon enough.

Just as I thought, someone entered the house comfortably. "Whew, that was tiring, but thankfully I was quick. Now it's time for a rest." Dad put away his things and went on the biggest couch and laid on it. The small pillows fell as he seemingly rolled endlessly. He couldn't find the best sleeping position, I reckoned. He looked tired, indeed.

But fate didn't let him fall to slumber that easily. His phone rang, and I was worried that he might not be able to get his well-deserved rest because of another work to do in the company.

"Hello," he answered weakly while still closing his eyes and lying on the couch. "W-wait, slow down, okay? I can't understand what you're saying," he mumbled as he the speakers of his phone, the sound waves reaching up to where I was.

Cries and unclear words were all I heard at first. "Siwon-ah! Hyuk-Hyukjae! H-h-he left a suicide note in their house! I can't contact and I can't find him! He's going to end his life any moment today! And there's this address! Siwon-ah, what are we going to do?!" The weird sounds continued on the other line. It was Uncle Hae, crying and sniffling. As soon as Dad heard Uncle Hyuk's name, he jerked his way up and stood from his slumber.

Uncle Hyuk? S-suicide? I never thought that "Uncle Hyuk" and "suicide" would be joined together in a single sentence. I can't... I can't believe this is happening.

My heart raced, drumming rapidly as I heard the ticking of my wristwatch. Every second wasted right now is every second closer to his final day here on earth. I couldn't seem to move. I felt that my every step should be beneficial enough to stop this upcoming torment.

Dad stood up when he heard the word "suicide." His eyes went bigger than the actual, and his eyebrows told me that he was really troubled of what was going on. His free hand touched his head, going to his hair, gripping it so hard, feeling that it was his fault, looking so depressed and worried. I was about to take my first step towards him when I saw his two eyes going red and his worried look. It was then that I realized how important Uncle Hyuk is to him.

I got to do something. I could not just stand here while something wrong is about to happen.

No, I must not let this happen. And I won't.

"He left an address?" I heard Dad asked, and he was dumbfounded.

"I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but there's this weird address scribbled on the notes here in his table. I'm not sure what this means, but I think we should go there. I'm actually getting scared," I heard from the other line. His voice was still weak and crumbling, feeling that a part of him was being taken away. It was epidemic that I thought that I'll also sound like that if ever I'd try to speak.

"O-Okay, okay. Don't lose hope, Hae, nothing wrong is gonna happen, everything is gonna be all right. Calm down, calm down, I'm gonna go and fetch you," Dad assured, though it was ironic, looking at how he was talking about was the opposite of what he was actually feeling.

"I'm here at his house," Uncle Hae lastly said as he ended the call.

Our eyes met. And we knew what we would do without even talking to each other. Our eyes understood what our minds thought and what our mouths are supposed to tell, and our hearts would not bring this to disgrace. We ought to do something. And it's only us who can do this.

My feet finally decided to move, and I rushed towards Dad.

"Dad, I-"

"I-I must do something," he said, avoiding eye contact because his eyes were getting red and wet.

"Dad, I'll come with you. You don't want to fight this alone, right?" I grabbed his hand.

"Let's go," he agreed.

He got his car keys, and I rushed to get my shoes. Adrenaline was everywhere. There was no time to waste. This battle should be fought and won.

***

"Donghae, what do you think is with Hyukjae right now? What made him do this horrible thing?"

"I-I also don't know! I was so shocked and startled about everything that I don't know what to do," he replied with his voice still shaking.

Oh no. It still seemed yesterday when his gummy smile appeared in front of all of us, and I still want to see that view. Nothing bad must happen to him.

All of our happy memories came rushing back to me, and my eyes and mind just froze. Everything came back to me, like a splashing wave telling me to wake up and do something. I didn't want our memories to just end right here, and I thought that he never deserved to have his life taken from him just because of a problem he might be facing right now.

"Why was there even an address? I mean, I-I just don't understand," Dad asked. He still can't fathom the situation at hand.

"M-Maybe he wants us to know where he will..." Uncle Hae stopped and didn't continue his reply. His head lowered down to his chest, and he broke down. I could hear his sobs, and my eyes started to signal my tears to well up in them.

This situation is so unusual to them. They were always so happy together, and it just shocks and pains me that this is happening to them. They don't deserve this. And they never will.

We quickly went to the car and hoped for Uncle Hyuk to be safe. No one dared to talk. Everyone went quiet, so worried about him. We just went to the address Uncle Hae found on Uncle Hyuk's desk. We knew that this might not be the actual place where he might be, but our instincts were so strong that we still decided to go.

For once, I believed that your biggest joys could be replaced by tragic occurrences in just a snap of a finger.