fourth

The Perks of Being Choi Siwon's Daughter: Caught Up in EunSiHae

"I don't think it's right here. Are you sure this is the address?" Dad asked as he pressed on the brakes and the car came to a halt. And we all know exactly why.

Who would commit suicide in a resort?!

But then I saw something.

"Wait! At the top of the hotel!" I pointed.

I stopped right down on my tracks when a silhouette of a man appeared at the top of the building not far away from where we parked our car. They all looked up, and without saying anything, of course we all thought of what I was thinking.

Uncle Hyuk.

Don't jump. Please.

"Hyukjae!" Uncle Hae desperately shouted as soon as he closed the door behind him as he got out of the car, even though there was a zero percent guarantee that he will hear it. He entered the high-rise hotel and ran quickly to the top, with Dad and me closely following behind him.

We reached the top, the three of us breathing heavily. Dad put his hands on his knees and shouted a few meters away from the soul we are now ought to save. "Ya! Lee Hyukjae! If you have any problem, then what's the use of our presence?!"

"Why?" Uncle Hae quietly said.

"Uncle Hyuk! I may have gotten close to you just these past few weeks, please remember that there are so many happy and important things in life and it is not a good choice to end all of these just because of a single problem!" I shouted, with the words raging from my mouth. I can't take this anymore.

"Don't come near me, or else I'm gonna do something terrible you don't want to even look at," the suicidal man said, still not facing us.

"Come on, Hyukjae! Don't you just know how many people you'll left behind?! Your family, your friends, the people you inspired! So please! Come here and don't continue what you're going to do!" Dad added. I could feel the rage coming out from his mouth. Words that will really strike you, he has plenty of them.

"If I don't continue this, people whom I love will be disappointed. Their efforts will be wasted," Uncle Hyuk again said, now with the side of his face appearing in front of us, though he still avoided making eye contact. It seemed that he was inspecting the ground he was on.

"WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" Dad shouted, and I have never seen him so furious like this before. He was so intimidated that he ran fast and went to his old friend, but I think he remembered what Uncle Hyuk just said earlier that's why he stopped at a small distance away from the man who was probably going to jump.

"This is my only chance. Please let me do this," he weakly added, his words coming out from his mouth just for the sake of us getting a reply from him.

It was a life-risking scene, and I don't think I could put up with this anymore. But then I noticed Uncle Hae with a blank expression on, and then he curled up a subtle smile. What really is going on? Am I just too young to understand this?😣

"UNCLE HYUKJAE! YOU STILL HAVE US! WHAT'S THE POINT OF DOING THIS?! HOW ABOUT YOUR MOMENTS WITH DAD AND UNCLE HAE? WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR SEASONED BROTHERHOOD? HOW ABOUT OUR TIMES TOGETHER AT OUR HOUSE? OUR BAKING SESSIONS? OUR PLAYING-WITH-DOGS SESSIONS? SHOPPING? OUR QUARTET'S PART TIME JOB IN YOUR BAKESHOP? YOUR PARENTS? YOUR GROUP MEMBERS? YOUR WIFE? YOUR CHILD?!"

Whew. I can't believe I sprouted all of those. I can't believe those came out from my own mouth. I can't believe I'm stopping a man from committing suicide. I can't believe that man has to be Uncle Hyuk.

He was quiet. And so were Dad and Uncle Hae. Both of them looked at me in great disbelief, and I swear, I would also do the same if that weren't me who just said those. But I knew then that those gazes were telling me that they strongly agree with me. I then noticed Uncle Hae walking farther from us and covering his eyes with his hand.

I looked at him and I started to worry even more. I could see his lips being bitten by him under his palms.

"Everything will be alright, Uncle Hae," I said as I patted his back. But he turned his back on me. He must still be feeling upset about this.

"YAH, LEE HYUKJAE!!! P-please, if you're thinking of doing something now, please don't," Dad commanded. I knew this. He doesn't want his loved ones to be put to harm, and I know that he was really eager to do what it takes to stop this.

"But I should. It's still for them," Uncle Hyuk spoke amidst the utter silence brought about by the great tension around us.

Fine. I risked everything and went to Uncle Hyuk. But I kept my distance away from him, remembering the consequence of us being near to him at this terrible moment.

"Uncle Hyuk! Can you please go here now?" I said as I came near him, his hair and back beaming in front of my eyes, his silhouette getting clearer as I went to him. "Please?"

My voice was shaky and the overwhelming feeling of this weird phenomenon called crying initiated its first step, then followed by its big highlight. My heart beat faster and faster like it wouldn't stop at any time. My throat went dry, and as I was about to swallow to compensate for its dryness, Dad already had tears in his eyes. My eyes watered, and they can't hold them up anymore, so they overflowed and dripped, touching my cheeks.

Just as I was about to reach my hand to his shadow, which is something I thought wasn't a logical thing to do, but I still did it anyway I didn't know why, Uncle Hyuk stepped back from the slightly-elevated ground with rails in front of him.

He stepped back his right foot without even bothering to look at us, still focusing at the rays of the bright sun which my eyes can't bear to look at. It was followed by his left foot, closing to his right.

"Hyukjae!" Dad shouted. The echo was just loud enough for Uncle Hae to hear. I looked at the latter's direction and I saw him covering his face with his hands, hurting himself for what had just happened.

I returned my gaze to Uncle Hyuk who was kneeling with his hands on his lap and head lowered to his chest. I still couldn't see his face since his back was still in front of us.

I have seen his tears of joy. But for the record, if ever he would continue, this would be the first time I'll see him break down and cry.

"Hyukjae! It's all right, we're here." Dad rushed up to Uncle Hyuk, who placed his palms on his face, hiding whatever feeling he might be feeling right now. I ran towards him. Dad patted uncle's back as the latter started to put his legs closer to his head and hands, and he began to sob and grieve.

Or so I thought.

He didn't look like he was crying nor grieving for his deed.

"Hyukjae? Are you all right? Ya, Hyukjae?"

"PUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

What the actual hell?! Uncle Hyuk burst out in laughter as his pink gums glimmered through the rays of sunshine.

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" laughed by someone from afar.

Uncle Hae!!! You were into this?!

Uncle Hyuk's eyes crinkled until we could not see them anymore, and he held his belly as it can't contain all his laughter anymore. Dad was still clueless of what just happened when the presumably suicidal man rolled and lied on the ground as his mouth opened wider and wider as he let out all his laugh.

The laughter continued the same time as my confusion got longer and longer.

"So can someone tell me what just happened?" I scoffed as I wiped the tears on my face. I don't want them to see that I fell on their trap. I just can't fathom what actually happened.

"Hahaha!" Uncle Hae strutted from behind.

WHAAAAAAT?! "Uncle Hae?! You were into this?!" And all along I thought that he was innocent and knew nothing about this. Ahhh how naive of me.

"Ha... ha... ha," the rolling man effortlessly spoke, letting out all the laughter until it subsides. He was still lying on the ground with his hands stretched out wide and his eyes glued to the sky covering us from afar.

"Ya, I'm good in acting, right?" Uncle Hae asked Dad. However, the latter was still flabbergasted of the recent scenario, so he flaunted his confusion with his opened mouth and immovable eyes.

"So you're not going to attempt suicide anymore or," Dad monotonously asked though the scene was already obvious and clear as crystal.

"W-wait, h-how...?" I searched and searched for answers around me involuntarily. I looked around but found nothing, so I asked. "What's really the meaning of all of these?!" My heart and eyebrows are angry, but I demanded for an explanation. I demanded for an acceptable reason, if possible.

Uncle Hyuk finally stood up and brushed off the dust from his previous rolling session on the floor. He heaved a big but subtle sigh. "You didn't read the 'letter' up to the end, did you?"

The letter? What's with it? I haven't read it since I was so startled.

"They didn't even bother to let me show them the 'letter' because they were so aggressive and they panicked when they knew about this." Uncle Hae butted in. He rummaged in one of his back pockets and got a crumpled piece of paper, something that was like a poorly made draft from a scratch paper.

"Huh?" Dad trembled as he reached for the paper. I drew close to him for us two to read what was written on it.

I'm sorry to all my dearly beloved if you have reached it this far, if ever I have disturbed you. I just want you to be happy. I know this might not be the best way, but at least, it would be great. If you have gotten to the next point of the journey together with me, thank you for the effort. I know that you love me.

Then there was a quickly-written scribble of what appeared to be an address. And this was it.

"What now?" Dad asked.

"Wait, look here," I suggested. And what I saw pissed me off.

We're gonna have a vacation! You should come because it's gonna be fun. Yay! :^)

It was written in very small and illegible letters, probably so that no one could see it. I just gasped and scoffed. You just don't know what's going on in the minds of these people that just by the mere thought of being with them sometimes scares me.

"So, what really happens now? You're not gonna commit suicide?!" My father asked dumbly. Oh my, his slowness had attacked again since all his quickness were taken away earlier due to our fast-paced, action-packed journey towards here.

I observed the two and I also did my I-kind-of-also-know-how-you'll-respond-because-I'm-also-thinking-the-same-way-as-you-so-I'll-do-the-same reaction. We all glared disappointedly at Dad. He looked at us like he was some innocent child who was playing at the street awhile ago, but is now showing a confused and kind of gloomy expression because someone just stole his lollipop from him, which was financed by his eagerness in asking his mother some money for him to buy his favorite treat from the nearby store.

"Ohh! WHAT THE?! OH GOSH YOU GUYS ARE - UGHH!" Dad shouted, going as loud as he can since he was seizing the warm open air around us. "Out of all the ways for you to ask us to come with you for a vacation, you chose this way?! Don't you know that death isn't something to be joked about?! HUH?!" Dad again spoke, now with great conviction that he seemed he knew he was right and that we were all wrong. He rolled his eyes at us with his eyebrows going higher and higher by the second. He shook his head, obviously showing his disappointment to them. He did his best in blinking away all the tears he had with him awhile ago.

Uncle Hae flashed his gloomy but emotional eyes. Uncle Hyuk watched Dad's expression and he suddenly felt sorry and innocent. "H-Hey, we knew you were tired because you are always so busy about work, so we had this so you could unwind and enjoy... but I guess, we just should've informed you beforehand about -"

"But still, AAAHHHH! At least you're not going to commit suicide! I'm still so happy that I'm with you idiots rather than losing you! Waaaah!" Dad exclaimed happily. What Dad. How bipolar of you. Ah, it's still half of the day but I'm already going crazy because of these people! He was so happy that he hugged the two of them immediately who were still buffering about his sudden reaction. The two shot confused eyes, but as soon as Dad hugged them, they unhesitatingly hugged him back, like embracing the loved one you have not seen after a very long time.

"Sofie! Why don't you join us?" Uncle Hae asked while gesturing his hand to me and towards the warm hug, looking as jolly and cute as ever.

Dad was right. They are idiots. Even himself. But duh? Who would refuse this offer?

I went and I inserted myself between them. "Thank you, God, for these people in my life!" Dad shouted as his grip on us became tighter and tighter.

"AMEN!!!" we all said in unison. The moment was so great that I really felt it and I wished for it not to end. We were all in a state of euphoria, all in cloud nine, just by the mere fact that we were together after all this time. As we look back, we had shared amazing and heartfelt memories one could ever wish for, and now that we have each other, what else do we need? We only need to look forward in life and to just keep going.

"Ah, you made me anxious! I really thought you would really do it!" Dad expressed as we all broke out from the hug.

"Eh, I thought of the possibility that you wouldn't come if we would invite you for a vacation because we know how busy you are in your work. We thought that we would be a disturbance and of course, work is still important than our drabbles and trips. We thought that we would just waste your precious time. So we came up to this idea. We knew you would come if ever this happens, so..." Uncle Hyuk explained their side.

Yes, Dad has really been busy these days that I didn't get the chance to see him anymore. And if I did, he would always look gloomy and tired. So I'm thankful for them that Dad finally had the chance to stay away from work.

"When I called you earlier, I never thought that you would really come that fast and be worried like that. I felt guilty along the way, that's why I rarely talked. We're truly sorry for this," Uncle Hae added. Oh, so that's why.

When Dad heard them, his eyes went watery again as he couldn't hide his gratitude towards his friends. "Woah, thank you, guys, for being concerned. Words are not enough, I guess," Dad uttered. "But, yes, I actually have work to do. Appointments, meetings, papers, ugh, I don't even know where to start. And oh! My secretary said that I have to meet this group of important people later and that they are people whom I don't really wanna miss!" His mood suddenly changed as he started talking about his piles of workload.

 “Oh, we're so sorry. You can ditch this trip if you want. If it doesn't bother your conscience. But we're not pressuring you, okay?” Uncle Hyuk said in a low voice, making Dad guilty if ever he's gonna choose work before his long time friends.

Dad worried for a second, but he didn't think twice about what better decision to make. “Yes, that job is important, but they come and go. And friends don't.”

“Yah! Are you sure? Maybe that's a billion-dollar deal, and you shouldn't simply shrug it off,” Uncle Hae said, pressuring Dad even more.

“Yeah, it could be a billion-dollar deal, but, what about us, right? Oh, sorry, not pressuring you again," Uncle Hyuk added.

“Ah, guys, you're making me more and more confused! But, ugh, who cares.”

"Yeah, Dad. Just ditch them. They might be as big as a billion-dollar deal who could be a very big benefit for the company, but you don't even know them, Dad. You have always told me that family comes first."

"But in a crucial situation like this, are you just gonna let that slip? I mean, we could reschedule this vacation," Uncle Hyuk slowly spoke. I could feel that he was testing Dad's conscience, like he wanted Dad to go and work that deal and another part of him wanted for Dad to stay for this somehow long-awaited vacation. He's too ambiguous I can't even comprehend.

"Why not ask your secretary first if they're really that important? Maybe she's just saying it for you to come on time so her work will be much easier. Just saying," Uncle Hae suggested, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck while stretching it. Yes, we have been standing here for so long already.

"O-Okay." Dad scanned through his pocket and got a hold of his phone. After hearing the sound of a few clicks, he positioned his phone right on his ear and waited for the other line to respond. "Oh, hello. So about these clients whom I'm supposed to meet later, are they really that important that I should really go? I mean, can't this appointment be rescheduled next week or something? Ah, I have this important thing to do right now."

We all looked at Dad and listened to the phonecall cautiously, waiting for his secretary's response. It was kinda quiet up here so we eavesdropped. Oh please, please, please.