The Little Things You Do

Random Ramen Kryber Shots

 

The Little Things You Do

Fluff

 

 

“Man it’s cold...” Krystal muttered under her breath. She squeezed her fingers together tightly and stuffed them into her coat pocket, hoping it would warm her limbs even just a little. She shivered when a cold gust of wind blew against her back.

 

She was about to give up waiting for the bus and just grab a cab when a pair of gloves and small heat pack was held out in front of her. She looked up and saw the owner smiling at her. She smiled back and shyly took the items, mouthing a quiet thank you before slipping on the warm pair of gloves.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Krystal frowned when she noticed the empty tray on the counter in front of her. She leaned forward and scanned the other similar looking trays further down the counter hoping they had placed the dessert in a different place today. But she saw none.

 

“What’s wrong?” Amber asked as Krystal sat down in front of her with a pout. She was carefully peeling the cupcake liner off the chocolate cupcake she had gotten.

 

“I think they ran out of cupcakes today.”

 

“Oh.” The peeling stopped. “Here.”

 

Krystal saw the chocolate cupcake being placed down in front of her tray. She shook her head. “You don’t have to give me yours.”

 

Amber shrugged and scooped up a spoonful of soup. “I’ve been eating too many sweets lately. I need to start cutting back on those sugary treats anyway.” She sipped the liquid from her spoon carefully.

 

Krystal picked the cupcake up and smiled. “Thank you.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

The shaking of the plane woke Krystal up. She huffed and blinked her eyes to adjust to the light. Her body ached all over from sleeping in that uncomfortable position.

 

“Sore?”

 

“A little.”

 

Amber waved her hand in the air to get the flight attendant’s attention. She whispered something to the lady who nodded and disappeared behind the curtains for a few seconds. She then reemerged with two pillows in hand.

 

“Thank you.” Amber took the pillows and set them on her lap. She then turned and pushed up the armrest in the middle. “Lap or shoulder?”

 

Krystal smiled.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Here.” Amber held out her hand.

 

Krystal took the hand and followed closely next to Amber as they made their way down the flight of stairs. “Thanks.” She said once they had reached the first floor.

 

“No problem.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

The booming roar of thunder outside made Krystal jump up from the couch in surprise. She was never a fan of storms, especially ones that shook the whole apartment. It always frightened her. Her roommate had left earlier in the week to visit family in the States so she was all by herself with no one to comfort her.

 

The vibrating of her phone temporarily pulled her attention away from the storm.

 

“Hey.”

 

Krystal quickly replied. She was glad to have someone to talk to, anything to get her mind off the scary roars outside. “Hi! What’re you up to?”

 

“Nothing much... By the way, are you home right now?”

 

“Yeah. Why?”

 

“Could you come open your front door?”

 

Krystal furrowed her brows and got up as she typed her reply. “What for?”

 

“Cause its cold outside and I’ve been knocking for the past few minutes now.”

 

Krystal picked up her pace as she read the message. She pulled open the door to see Amber smiling on the other side.

 

“Hi.”

 

Krystal gasped. “What are you doing here?!”

 

“To keep you company.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I know you don’t like storms and since you said your roommate’s gone for the week, I thought I’d come by to keep you company until the storm passes. It’ll be less scary with two people.” Amber happily held up the bag in her hand. “Look, I even bought your favorite snacks and movies.”

 

Krystal couldn’t help but break out into a wide smile as she practically pounced Amber.

 

“Y-yah!” Amber took a step back, trying to regain her balance and keep the food from being crushed.

 

“Sorry!” Krystal pulled back and dragged Amber inside the apartment excitedly.

 

“By the way, your doorbells broken,” Amber said as she walked towards the living room.

 

“I know.”

 

They both sat down.

 

“Do you also know that you have terrible hearing?”

 

“Wha...Hey!” Krystal stopped rummaging through the bag of snacks.

 

Amber shrugged. “What? It’s true. I really did knock for a long time.”

 

“It’s not my fault. The storm outside is too loud.”

 

“Uh-huh, you keep telling yourself that.” Amber pushed herself off the couch to put in a movie. “Which one do you want to watch?” She held up two DVD cases, one in each hand.

 

Krystal pointed at the one on the right.

 

“I figured.” Amber placed the chosen movie’s disk into the DVD player.

 

“How’d you know?” Krystal asked curiously.

 

Amber walked back towards the couch. “How would I not know?”

 

Krystal smiled as Amber sat down next to her and immediately started munching on one of the snacks from the bag.

 

“Thanks, Amber.” Krystal sincerely said after a while, glancing over at the girl.

 

Amber tilted her head and smiled back. “Anytime.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Hey, finished with everything?”

 

“Yeah. What are you doing here?”

 

“Taking you out to lunch.”

 

“Why are you up so early on a weekend?” Krystal checked her watch. “It’s not even noon yet.”

 

“You’ve been working so hard on your projects lately and neglecting your health so I thought I should take you out for something nice to eat. Kind of like a reward for working so hard.”

 

“You know you don’t have to do that. You already bought me sandwiches and soup for the past few nights.”

 

“I know, but I want to. Now come on, time’s a-wastin’. If we don’t go now, there’s gonna be a line at the restaurant.”

 

Krystal eventually gave in and got into the car.

 

“Thanks, Amber.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Hey! Sorry I missed your calls!”

 

“Don’t worry about it. Still practicing?”

 

“Yeah, but if you’re done, I can come pick you up and drop you off at home first.”

 

“Oh, no, that’s okay. I can wait. I’m actually heading in your direction right now.”

 

“Are you sure? It might be another fifteen to twenty minutes before practice is over.”

 

“It’s fine. I don’t have much to do anyway. I’ll wait for you on the bleachers.”

 

“Okay...please be careful getting here.”

 

“What am I? Five? This is a safe campus, Amber. Half the student body are still roaming around outside.”

 

“Still. It’s getting dark so you should be careful. Just come straight here, okay? Take the main street where there are more people.”

 

“Yes, mom. I’ll see you in a bit.” Krystal hung up and chuckled to herself. Amber has always been so overprotective of her, sometimes even way more than her own parents.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Alright everyone, let’s call it a day!” The basketball coach yelled after blowing his whistle.

 

The loud squeaking noises in the gym died down as people stopped running and made their way over to the bleachers to grab their stuff.

 

“Hey.” Amber smiled when she saw Krystal standing by her bag.

 

“Hi!” Krystal greeted happily and held out a cup towards Amber. “I got your favorite.”

 

“Ooohhhh~ She got her her favorite~” The other players along the bleachers started elbowing each other and snickering.

 

Amber and Krystal blushed at the comment and immediately looked away from each other.

 

“Shouldn’t you guys be heading home before you past your curfew time?” Amber glared at her friends who eventually walked away laughing and whistling to themselves.

 

“Sorry about that...” Amber sat down and pulled out a towel to wipe her sweat.

 

Krystal shook her head and sat down next to the girl. She waited until Amber was done before exchanging the drink in her hand with the dirty towel.

 

“Thanks.” Amber took the drink. She sipped the bubble tea and chewed on the tapioca happily.

 

Krystal smiled to herself.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Hey, I’m sorry I can’t be at your sister’s engagement party.”

 

“It’s okay. Family matters come first. Is your grandmother any better?”

 

“Yeah, she’s much better now. The worst is over so she’s slowly recovering.”

 

“That’s good. How are your parents and sister doing? This must’ve stressed them out a lot, huh?”

 

“They’re tired but good. I sent them home to rest properly a while ago.”

 

“It’s good you’re taking care of them but I hope you’re not neglecting your own health?”

 

“Of course not. I don’t want to be lectured by you when I get back.”

 

“Ha. Ha. That’s not funny at all.”

 

“I know you smiled.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Hey, Krys?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’m sorry I can’t be there for your birthday either.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’m just glad you remembered.”

 

“Of course! How could I ever forget your birthday?! I was planning on celebrating with you right after your sister’s engagement party when the clock struck twelve.”

 

“There’s always next year.”

 

“I’m sorry...”

 

“Stop saying sorry. This isn’t your fault.”

 

“Okay... I promise I’ll bring you back something good.”

 

“You better. Or else I’m never gonna talk to you again.”

 

“Gasp! You wouldn’t!”

 

“Watch me :P.”

 

“Haha, please don’t. I promise to bring you the best present you’ll never forget.”

 

“I hope so. Anyway, I’ll talk to you later. Take care of your grandmother. Give her my best wishes.”

 

“I will. Please send your sister my regards too. I’ll be back before you know it.”

 

Krystal sighed as she came to the last text message from Amber dated three days ago. She hasn’t heard anything from the girl since then and missed her terribly, though she would never admit it out loud.

 

Her sister’s engagement party today was coming to an end soon which also meant the nearing of her birthday. So far, she’s just been sitting at the bar staring off into space, hoping the party would end soon so she could go home. That and waiting for Amber’s text message to wish her a happy birthday when the clock strikes twelve.

 

“Hey Soojung, there you are. I’ve been looking all over for you.”

 

Krystal blinked and looked up to see her sister staring back at her. “Oh, hey, Unnie. What’s up?”

 

“A friend of mine misplaced her purse somewhere. Do you think you could help us look for it? It’s a black leather tote with silver lining.”

 

“Sure, does she remember where she last placed it?”

 

“Unfortunately, no, she doesn’t. But we’re all splitting up to look for it so if you could check the veranda, that would be great.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Krystal placed her glass down and slid off the bar stool. A lot of people had already gone home so the place was considerably a lot quieter.

 

It was a bit dark out on the veranda but the lighting along the wall made things visible.

 

Krystal began searching from the entrance to the far end where the lighting became more dimly lit.

 

Just as she reached the last table and chairs, a pair of feet off at the dark corner of the veranda caught her eyes.

 

She was about to scream when the person standing in the shadow stepped out into the light.

 

Krystal’s eyes widened in surprise. “Amber?!”

 

“Hi.” Amber smiled.

 

“What... What are you doing here?”

 

“What do you mean? You know I would never miss such a special day.”

 

“But-But your grandmother...”

 

“She’s fine, still recovering, but fine.”

 

“What about—”

 

“Hey, do you mind telling me what time it is?” Amber interrupted.

 

“S-sure...” Krystal was still too shock to realize what was happening. She looked down at her watch. “It’s 12:00am.”

 

Amber’s smile grew wider. “Perfect timing.” She then brought her hands out front.

 

Krystal saw the small purple cake Amber was holding and felt touched.

 

“Make a wish.” Amber held the cake out.

 

Krystal felt overwhelmed by the feelings inside her but did as she was told. She clasped her hands together, closed her eyes and made a wish. She then blew out the candle and smiled at the person standing in front of her.

 

As soon as Amber set the cake down on the table behind them, Krystal pounced on her. Amber almost lost her balance from the force of the hug but quickly caught her footing.

 

“Woah, there. Did you miss me that much?” Amber laughed as she tried to pry Krystal off her.

 

Krystal mumbled some incoherent words against Amber’s neck which made the older girl laugh even louder.

 

“I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”

 

Krystal eventually pulled back and regained her composure.

 

“By the way, aren’t you curious what I got you?”

 

“You mean the best present that I will supposedly never forget?”

 

“Yep, that’s the one.”

 

“So, where is it?” Krystal asked when Amber didn’t continue.

 

Amber smirked and fixed her clothes. “You’re looking right at it.”

 

There was a moment of silence as Krystal stared at Amber.

 

“What? You?” Krystal finally asked, though she secretly agreed that Amber just being there was the best present she has ever gotten.

 

“Yes, me.” Amber reached into her pocket and took out a bow. She then placed it on top of her head and laughed when Krystal rolled her eyes playfully. “Just kidding. I got you something else.”

 

“You didn’t have to. I’m happy with you just being here, honestly,” Krystal said sincerely.

 

“Aw, that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me. But really, I got you a real present.” Amber reached into the inside of her jacket pocket and pulled out a black box. She then handed it to Krystal whose eyes widened when she saw the brand name printed on the lid.

 

“Omo, Amber! This must’ve cost you a lot!”

 

“Nah,” Amber waved it off, “It’s nothing. Open it.”

 

Krystal slowly opened the lid, feeling grateful and touched. She took out the silver necklace with a small heart crystal pendant attached to it and just stared at it for a minute.

 

“Do you... like it?” Amber asked carefully, unsure of Krystal’s expression. “It has your name engraved on it.”

 

Krystal finally looked up and noticed the worried expression. She smiled. “I love it!” She then hugged Amber tightly and repeatedly thanked her.

 

Amber wrapped her arms around Krystal’s waist and exhaled in relief. “My pleasure. Happy birthday, Krys.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Are you cold?” Amber asked, breaking the silence.

 

“No, I’m okay.” Krystal shook her head.

 

It’s currently 1am and they had been walking along the Han River for a while now. Amber said they should work off the cake they had just eaten.

 

“Can I...” Amber hesitated. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.” Krystal stopped walking and took a seat on one of the nearby benches. She stretched her legs out and sighed in content. “So what would you like to ask me?”

 

Amber slowly sat down next to the younger girl. “What do you... What do you think of me?”

 

Krystal tilted her head curiously. “Huh? What do you mean?”

 

“Who am I to you?”

 

Krystal raised her eyebrows. “Why are you suddenly asking me this? You should know already.”

 

“I’m...not sure...that’s why I’m asking.”

 

“What? You’re not sure?”

 

Amber fidgeted with her fingers. “Just... tell me?”

 

“You’re one of my best friends,” Krystal paused, “and one of the people that I treasure most in life; someone that I can’t live without.” Krystal scrunched up her face cutely and curled her fingers. “Ugh... so cheesy...”

 

Amber smiled a little at the cute expression but immediately fiddled anxiously with her fingers again. “Is that...it?”

 

“What do you mean?” Krystal furrowed her brows and carefully observed Amber. “Why are you suddenly asking these strange questions? What’s on your mind, Amber?”

 

“It’s just...” Amber swallowed. “There’s something else I want to be.”

 

Krystal silently waited for Amber to continue, not sure where the older girl was going with this.

 

“I like being your best friend and all, don’t get me wrong, but I-I would like to be more than just your best friend...i-if possible.” Amber blushed. “A-and not talking about in a sisterly or sibling kind of way...”

 

A few seconds passed by before Krystal chuckled. She started to understand where this was going. “What kind are you talking about then? What do you want to be?”

 

Amber took a deep breath and reached out to take Krystal’s hand in hers. She tried to keep her hands from trembling. “Honestly, I’m not very good with words. But if you’ll let me, I want to be the person you turn to when you’re sad or angry and the person you hug when you’re happy. I want to be the person you’re most comfortable with, sharing everything and anything. I don’t even mind your violent punches.”

 

Krystal shoved Amber jokingly, though her heart was racing uncontrollably.

 

“I want to be the person that gets to hold your hand, to hug you, to laugh with you, to snuggle with you, to kiss you, and most importantly, to love you. To simply put it, I want to be there for you for everything and for nothing at all.” Amber looked at Krystal shyly. “I know there are many things that I still lack, but in spite of all that, I hope you’ll let me selfishly ask to be the only one in your heart from now on.”

 

The sincere confession rendered Krystal speechless.

 

“Um... Krys?”

 

Krystal blinked.

 

Amber’s shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry.” She let go of Krystal’s hand and turned to face the river. “I shouldn’t have said anything. Forget I said anything.”

 

“Stupid.”

 

“Huh?” Amber looked back at Krystal, confused.

 

“Stupid,” Krystal repeated.

 

“Wha...?”

 

“Did you even have to ask about something so obvious?” Krystal reached up and poked Amber’s forehead. “You should know you’re already all that to me, minus the kissing part.”

 

“So you do know that I’m speaking outside of the friendship context?” Amber asked carefully, afraid to hope.

 

Krystal shook her head and poked Amber’s forehead again. “Babo. Of course I do. Do you ever see friends kiss each other?”

 

“Well—”

 

“On the lips,” Krystal added.

 

Amber blushed and shyly bit her lower lip. “S-so... this is okay with you? I mean... I can... I mean we can... I mean...” Amber couldn’t stop stumbling over her words and sighed in defeat. “Help me.”

 

Krystal laughed and leaned over to kiss Amber’s red cheek. “Yes, you can, as long as you let me love you too.”

 

Amber nodded happily like a little kid and pulled Krystal into a tight hug. “I love you, Krys. So much.”

 

Krystal chuckled and return the hug, feeling elated. “I love you too, Amber. More than you know.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“So I’m guessing you two are an item now?”

 

“Yes. It’s official. I’m no longer on the market.” Krystal grinned at the ceiling.

 

Jessica shook her head and nudged her sister lying on the sofa with her foot. “Never knew it was that easy to win your heart. I mean, all she did was what – take you out to lunch and drive you home and bam, you’re immediately sold. Heck, even high school boys could do that and a lot more for the girl they like.”

 

“That’s not true. She’s done a lot more than that. Maybe the things she does aren’t over the top or extravagant and might not seem impressive compared to other people who have tried to approach me, but every single small gesture she makes means a lot more to me than all of them combined. Her caring gestures, actions and words, they’re not the result of some meticulous calculations or intentions but sincere expressions from her heart. That tells me who she is as a person. She doesn’t need to go to great lengths to come up with a grand event or shout out to the world how she feels about me because none of that matters. The only person she needs to tell is me and she’s done just that. I have never been happier than when I am with her.”

 

Jessica quietly digested her sister’s words and exhaled in defeat when she realized the truth behind them. “Well, it’s your life. I just hope she’s worth what you’re making her out to be.”

 

Krystal smiled. “Don’t worry, Unnie. She is.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Hey, they didn’t have strawberry so I got you mango-flavored. I hope you don’t mind.”

 

“No, mango’s good.” Krystal took the drink from Amber. She was quietly enjoying her drink when she noticed Amber staring at her intently from the corner of her eye. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?” Krystal turned to look at Amber.

 

“Uh...”

 

“What is i—”

 

Amber leaned in and cut Krystal off with a kiss.

 

Krystal was initially surprised but soon closed her eyes. Just as the kiss was deepening, she felt a light brush on her right shoulder. Her eyes fluttered open and she pulled back to see what it was, catching a glimpse of Amber’s retreating hand in the process.

 

“What are you doing?” Krystal stared at Amber’s closed fist questioningly.

 

“Nothing.” Amber casually tried to hide her hand behind her back, but Krystal caught her arm before she could. “Krys, I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Amber warned when Krystal tried to pry open her hand.

 

“Why not? What are you hiding?” Krystal managed to successfully force open Amber’s hand but immediately regretted it. She yelped and scooted away.

 

Amber laughed and pulled her hand back towards her. “Told you it wasn’t something you wanted to see.” She then blew on the bug on her palm to make it fly away.

 

“You could’ve just told me, you know.” Krystal pouted.

 

Amber chuckled. “And have you freak out, flail your arms around dangerously, and squeal until my ear drums burst? No thanks. The last time I told you there was a bug on you, you almost karate chopped my face off when I tried to help get it off for you.”

 

“If only I had succeeded back then...” Krystal sighed dramatically.

 

“You know you would miss these delicious pair of lips too much if you had.”

 

“Ha! You wish!” Krystal rolled her eyes with a smile before taking a sip of her drink.

 

The atmosphere soon became quiet with only the light breeze and occasional bird chirping in the background.

 

“Hey, Amber?” Krystal called out after they had moved from the bench to lie down on the warm, soft grass. She snuggled closer to Amber and laid her head down on the girl’s chest while playing with her shirt. “I’ve been wandering for a while now, but... why did you choose to confess to me on my birthday?”

 

“Hmm...” Amber hummed softly. “Why do you ask?”

 

“No reason, just curious.”

 

“Well, I figured if I confessed to you on your birthday and you accepted me, then that would mean one less date on the calendar I would have to remember.”

 

“Wha... Yah!” Krystal shoved Amber away with a pout.

 

Amber laughed and pulled Krystal to lie back down. “I’m just teasing you. That was just one of the perks that came with it which I realized later on. But!” Amber quickly added when Krystal was about to get up. “I honestly didn’t plan anything. I just wanted to fly back to see you on your birthday and give you your present. You sounded down when I was away and I just wanted to make you smile. That and I really missed you while I was away so I guess that kind of played a part in my spontaneous confession. The mood just felt right at the time so I decided to just brave through it and tell you. And I’m glad I did.”

 

“I’m glad you did too.” Krystal tilted her head up to give Amber a peck on the chin. “Thank you.” She said sincerely, hoping to convey all her love and gratitude to her.

 

Amber smiled and pulled Krystal closer. “My pleasure. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”