Golden

Aftermath

I gasped and set Ara down. Jumping up, I raced for a warm coat before I set off. I had to find Baekhyun. He was my precious brother for god's sake. Chanyeol tried to stop me, but Ara was clnging to his legs, so he couldn't move very well. He ended up laughing in his deep voice. I smiled, despite the situation, Chanyeol could always be cheerful.

"Come for me if I'm not back by dawn," I called to them. 

"Be safe!" Kai hollered after me. I nodded and loked around. Where could he have gone? I tough of the places I went last and where my locket could've disappeared.

First, I went to where I tended Suho. Nope. Next, I chekced where I first awoke with Mira. Not a chance. I looked for food in so many spots! Where was he? I was getting frantic, and that wasn't good for this situation. Pabo, I told you to not look for my locket! In 15 minutes flat, I scoured the entire area around our camp. With a defeated sigh, I began to head back when I saw something golden along the river. As I neared, I saw that it was a bridge! Scratching my head, I walked across of it. It's a wonder the bridge didn't collapse.

Flashback:

"I'm gonna catch you!" Baekhyun playfully sang before running toward me. I laughed and ran all the way to school, passing this exact bridge. It was full of people so I had to dodge here and there. Because Baekhyun was beind me, he simply followed my path. Eventually, he caught up with me, picked me up and twirled me around.

"Hyeri~ I caught you!" He teased to the 10 year old me. He was really strong back then.

I smiled at that memory and pushed on. Perhaps I lost it at my school? The school I went to was from Preschool to 12th grade. Baekhyun was in 11th and I was in 10th. I raced across the bridge just liek I did almost everyday and halted when I saw the school. Brick lay everywhere. This was pretty fatal. No one would survive this. Baekhyun you better not die on me. I picked up things and threw them around, looking for my brother. When I came into the middle of the school, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Baekhyun was curled up in a ball. His hands were clutching something. I neared him and whacked his head lightly. He slowly turned up and a small smile flitted across his lips.He held out my locket and clasped it around my neck.

"Thank you. Don't you EVER scare me like that again ok?" I tried not to full out scold him. Tears of relief flooded my eyes. One escaped and Baekhyun brushed it with his thumb..

"I'm sorry. You just need to be happy. That locket makes you happy which makes me happy," heshrugged. I laughed and hand in hand, we walked away. When we approached the bridge, there was something off. Insead of it being all golden, there was a heap of dead bodies on the ground. Specifically 2 bodies.

"Don't look," Baekhyun covered my eyes for me. His body was quivering. I shook of his hands and nearly fell in shock. It was my parents, dead. It was pretty obvious that they weren't killed by the earthquake because they were both slit at the throat. A pool of blood lay around them.

"Mom..." I reached for her but Baekhyun held me back. 

"Let's go," he firmly told me. I lost all my rationality. I was wild, crazy, absurd, insane, you name it.

"Who would do that? Why? WHy put it on the bridge!? Are they after us? What if someone is following us!? What'd we ever do???" I cried. Baekhyun held me close to him reassuringly. He was the only one I had left. The image of my parents were haunting me. Dead dead dead.

"Shh, it'll be alright," Baekhyun cooed. His eyes were glazed with unshed tears. I desperately wanted to believe him, but really. There was 9 of us at the camp now. Not enough food, it was getting to be tiring. Who would ever find us anyways? No one would care if we rotted and died.

"L-let's go back to home base," I looked on the ground and we walked. There was a golden string up ahead. It lead to somewhere. I bit my lip trying to ignore it, but it was calling for me. I squeezed my eyes shut and blocked out all images of the golden sliver of string. 

"Run!" Baekhyun urgently whispered and we ran as fast as we could to the camp. When we got there, Kyungsoo handed us a plate of hotdogs on hamburger buns. Ara yelped in delight and clung to Baekhyun. Chanyeol started telling funny stories and got everyone laughing.  Mira, who was sharing a tent with Ara and I sat down beside me. I missed you all.

"Are you alright? You aren't laughing and these stories are pretty funny," she bit into a hotdog, "I'm glad you guys are safe."

"I'll tell you in the cabin," I whispered and acted as though it was funny. Baekhyun didn't bother to act. Chanyeol sat besides him and clapped him on the back.

"You ok?" his eyes were concerned. Beakhyun nodded and ate more of his food. Suho trained his eyes on Mira with concern. I genuinely smiled at that. Kai and Sehun, the maknaes, were talking about something and Kyungsoo watched the stars pop up here and there. 

There was peace for now.

But that was quickly distrupted when people began to march in. They held weapons. Baekhyun picked up Ara and shielded me with his body. Chanyeol stood next to him as Kai hid behind me. They were all strong. Mira was in Suho's arms, getting protected. Kyungsoo was trembling behind Sehun.

"What do you want?" I stepped foward. I got a better sight of them and saw that they were in golden. Just like everything. This all fit together. My locket was golden, the brige was golden, the string, and now their armor.

"Hyeri." The soldier shrugged and followed his commands.

"No..." Baekhyun pleaded me. He knew I would sacifice for the team.

"What do you want me for?" I raised up my chin boldly.

"Our captain wants to see you." The soldier came foward. I got into my kungfu stance. Between clenched teeth, I muttered, "Don't lay a single hair on those behind me." The soldier laughed, "I don't intend to." I relaxed.

"Guys, take care. I love you! I kissed Ara on the cheek. Baekhyun frowned but pulled me close, "I'll save you I swear it." I nodded and moved onto hugging everyone. Mira's shoulders sagged. 

"Bye!" They screamed after I was getting pulled away. We went to the golden path where I saw roughly pushed.

Golden, what of this color?