Nothing but ruins

Aftermath

Hyeri:

"Mira!? MIRA?" I looked around me. A sudden weight was lifted up, something was thrown aside and Mira's face came into view. My shoulder's sagged with relief.

"I'm fine, just a bit tired. I may be stuck under a tree, but I still have arm power," she flexed her muscles. I gasped when I saw the huge tree laying upon her leg, which was in fact, dripping with blood.

"Mira... I'm going to get you out." I was determined. I stood up slowly and circled the tree. Around me, there was nothing but ruins. Not a single sign of life. Where's mom, dad and Baekhyun? They are safe, they have to be. An earthquake, a huge one, shook our city and now, well, let's just say it wasn't in good shape.

"Careful," she weakly smiled at me. Her face was pale, so pale that it scared me. Her blood was flowing away too fast. My brain geers qorked quickly as I tried to find a solution. Mira was not only my neighbor but my best friend as well. It'd cost a lot for her to die. I was smart and she was strong, together we made the best team ever. 

"Aha!" I facepalmed myself, wondering how in the world I haven't thought of this in the first place. I searched around and quickly found a parking meter that got yanked out of the ground. I propelled it up and yanked off my jacket, tying it to the meter and the tree, connecting them. I found a metal desk with magnets on it, huge magnets with double sides. Perfect. Quickly, I placed them on  the parking meter, which had metal so it stuck, and tied to a branch. I tied the table to the meter with a blanket so it wouldn't lift up. Instantly, the magnets grew attracted. The desk kept the meter down, and slowly but surely, the tree lifted a foot.

"Oww," Mira winced. I rushed to help her out. She limped with me near a river that ran by our house. Hurriedly, I sprinted back and grabbed the jacket and the blanket. I sopped the jacket wet and wrapped it gently on Mira's leg so it'd stop the bleeding.

"I'm going to looked around for supplies and our neighbors," I informed her. She nodded, probably not hearing due to the fact that she was tired looking. I set out, glancing this way and that, completely hopeful for any sign of life. 

Walking about, I found 2 backpacks, one for Mira, one for me. I filled Mira's with all the first-aid supplies I could find, and some clothes that were thought to fit her. Mine was filled with some kind of packaged food and water, and clothes that were mine, or at least for now. No one living. I saw only dead bodies that were bloody and gross. Dejected, I walked back and found her sleeping. Seeing her ashen face, I was scared that she would die if she slept further.

"Mira! Mira!" I found myself screaming. She woke up with a start. Her leg hasn't gotten any better. I took out some antiseptic and badaged and applied it on her. Her face contorted, for it stung. 

"Any body?" Her teeth were clenched, trying not to scream in pain.

"No." I busied myself making the package of food, which happened to be an assortment of vegetables. I heated the water with a match I found. 

"Oh god. Do you think Suho...lives?" She turned her worried eyes upon me. I nodded, not quite telling the truth but not quite lying either. Suho lived next to me and was her brother. The other neighbors were Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Sehun and Kai. We atein silence, both thinking of what was to come. 

~~~

"SEE ME DON'T YOU!?" I heard a voice screech from a fairly large crack in the earth below. I saw that it was Kai. Finally life! I scrambled toward him and saw Kyungsoo besides him, clinging on for his dear life. 

"Be careful! I'll get you out!" I looked around for rope, but nope, none found. Sighing, I used my numb fingers to tie the sweatshirts I found throughout todays shirt together and hang it down. Kai grasped it and began to ascend slowly. 

"This is tiring," he panted when he reached the top. I pulled him up and we moved the sweatshirts to Kyungsoo. He held on, his owl eyes spooked. 

"Come on!" Kai encouraged. Kyungsoo took a while, but he finally made it up. None of us were too worn out to run, so we ran toward the small camp Mira and I have made. 

"Kyungsoo? Kai!?" Mira was so happy that someone was found at last. 

"Yeah," Kai sat down and immediately ate what was left of the food. Kyungsoo joined me to look for food. He was a great cook and was very helpful for finding food. We found a couple bags of Sunchips, 3 cans of peas, 2 carrots, a pack of rice and some ramen noodles. That would make a good meal for now. When we got back to the small camp, there was 2 tents put intact so we had shelter.

"Cool!" It was cool. There was a minifire in the middle as well, and the desk I used was there as our dinner table.

"Yeah, turns out Kai has plenty of ideas of putting things together," Mira sounded kind of shocked. Kyungsoo had the meal cooked in 10 minutes and we scarfed it down. 

"We need to find the others," Kai was determined. We nodded, but then soon got lazy and ended up sleeping for the rest of the night. Perhaps in the morning, we will have better luck. I clambered into the tent, seeing a blanket lying and 2 puffy things that I couldn't identify.

"This is our headquaters for now," Mira sighed. I was glad she was with the from the start. When the earthquake occured, we were at our secret treehouse, somewhere in the midle in the middle of the night. It came unexpected.

I peeked my head out of the tent, long after people fell asleep. The stars twinkled merrily, the moon smiling at them, the indigo of the sky seemed almost too cheerful.

Maybe that was a good omen, I dared to hope.