Short & Bittersweet

Sequel: A Beautiful Curse II

9.

Short & Bittersweet

~*~


At the other side of the town, Mira was fixing her hair in the car while Jongin was driving her to school.

“What time do you end today?” Jongin asked.

“I’m not sure. Probably 2.” Mira answered. “Oppa, you don’t have to fetch me.”

Jongin shook his head. “No, I’ll come later. Just call me when you’re done.”

Mira smiled. She felt good knowing that she has Jongin’s attention now. He has been nice to her ever since Lana was gone. He even took the trouble to send her to and fro school. “Okay!” She replied brightly. “Anyway Jongin oppa, please don’t be sad anymore.” She said while cuddling his arm. “Don’t think about her anymore –“

“I know what to do.” Jongin cut. “And I know what she’s doing.”

Mira let go of his hand and looked straight at him with a glare. “She left you. Why do you even bother?”

“She left but she will come back. I know because she promised me.” He said with determination in his eyes.

Mira snorted. “You know, a promise can be easily broken.”

“I trust her more than anyone else.” He said.

Mira folded her arms angrily. “Whatever. Is that why you chose to drive me to school?” She asked. The car entered the school compound and stopped. She could see many students around and was praying hard that she never had to see that girl she despised so much. “So you could see her?” She faced Jongin.

However, he didn’t answer. Instead, he took her backpack from her and exited the car. “Oppa!” Mira called and followed him.  Jongin leaned against the car as he scanned the school. Mira walked towards him and took the backpack from him. “I’m going in now. You don’t have to follow.” She said.

Mira walked away from him but as soon as she started walking, she found Jongin walking right behind her. She stopped, hoping he would stop too but no. He continued walking straight ahead towards the entrance of the school. She looked at him weirdly and started catching up with him.

“Oppa, what are you doing?” She tugged his arm but it was useless. He was walking without even noticing her presence. “Jongin oppa!” Mira called out loud.

Jongin’s mind went blank right when he stepped out of the car. He was hearing a familiar beat and at that moment, it was louder than usual. Right away, he knew she was there. Without thinking twice, he walked towards the school. He was walking towards where the sound was coming from. It was calling for him. As if he was being hypnotised, he followed the trail of sound. He didn’t even respond to Mira’s cries.

He walked continuously but was forced to stop by the school guard. “You can’t enter the school ground.” The security demanded.

However, Jongin was about to push him away when Mira pulled him harshly. “Oppa!” She slapped his back. “What are you doing?!”

Jongin looked at Mira and then his eyes went straight to another pair of eyes in a distant. By then, students started to crowd around, mostly girls because they were greeted with a rare sight of a handsome guy about to enter their school. They were giggling and smiling as they watched Jongin. Mira on the other hand was half angry and clueless as to what Jongin was doing.

Jongin locked eyes with another. And his world stopped too.

“Lana –“ He muttered.

Mira looked into his eyes and then said. “No. No.” She shook her head in denial. “She’s not here. You have to leave now.” She said.

However, his feet were glued to the ground as his eyes were fixed in a spot. “Lana –“ He called again.

“Sorry Mister, you have to leave.” The security requested.

Mira was afraid that Jongin might cause trouble; she pushed him hard and dragged him back towards the car. Jongin finally moved his feet and allowed Mira to drag him away.

“What are you thinking?!” Mira scolded. “Go back now.” She said. “You don’t have to fetch me.” She added before turning her back from him and walking angrily to school. Jongin watched Mira but his mind was elsewhere. He thought he wouldn’t see her. He thought she has transferred or moved away. Yet, he couldn’t believe who he just saw. The girl he loved so much, his one and only mate.

Now, he was even more determined to get her back. Because in her eyes, he could see that she longed for him too.

 

Junhong was still holding onto Lana’s arm as he led her to their first class. Lana noticed he was frowning. However, she stopped her track and said. “You can let go of me now.”

Junhong stopped as well and turned to face her. His eyes showed anger and displeasure. “Don’t even think of –“

“What?” She cut him before he could end. “I didn’t ask for him to be here. How would I know?”

Junhong couldn’t even be angry at her. She was right. It wasn’t her fault. “I’m sorry but –“ He bent down a little so that he was at the same eye level at her while holding both his hands on her shoulders. “Lana, I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’m already hurt enough.” She said as tears started to fill her eyes. Her lips were trembling and he could see that she was in so much pain. Yet, he had to say it.

“Please don’t even think about going back to him.” He said.

She didn’t answer. She walked away from him towards the class.

 

In class, Lana couldn’t concentrate; the same for Junhong. Both had their minds away from the lesson. Junhong kept watching Lana who was his seating partner in class. He didn’t expect Jongin to be there. Lana was already slowly moving on without him. Yet, he just had to appear right before her. If he knew Jongin was going to show up, he would have requested to have Lana transferred to another school. But of course, his powers never worked against the wolves. They were the only ones immune towards the Princes’ powers.

Lana was just as restless. She wished the time would pass by fast. In her head, she was only thinking about whether Jongin would still be around. Although she was aware that Junhong would probably be mad if he saw her with Jongin, she couldn’t help it. She really wanted to see him again.

Instantly, she raised her right hand. “Mr Park, may I go to the ladies?”

“Yes, you may.” Her science teacher replied.

Lana hurried away without glancing to see Junhong’s face. As soon as she stepped out of class, she walked towards the car park located at the first floor. However, there wasn’t anyone. Everyone seemed to have gone to class. No trace of him. She walked along the corridor and peeped through every corners of the school. No sign of him either.

She looked at her watch and was about to head back to class when suddenly, standing at the end of the hallway, she saw him. Her heart skipped a beat and she stopped whatever she was about to do. However, the bell rang and immediately the quiet hallway was filled with students. She lost sight of him and became anxious. She pushed the crowd of students and headed towards his direction when she felt a tug.

“What are you doing here?” It was Mira. Lana turned to see the girl and her immediate reaction was to hug her. “Let go!” The girl cried as she pushed Lana away.

“Mira –“ Lana smiled upon seeing the girl after so long. Even though she was being pushed away, she was just glad to see Mira again.

Mira on the other hand wasn’t at all happy to see her. She pulled her towards a quiet corner and pinned her against the wall. “I want you to leave this school.”

“What?” Lana looked at her.

“Go away! Don’t ever come back. You’re hurting him more.” She said angrily.

Lana understood what she said and instantly looked away in shame. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to –“

“You left him!” Mira interrupted. “It was you!”

“I know, Mira. It’s my fault.” Lana replied depressingly.

“Don’t ever appear before him.” Mira demanded.

Lana didn’t answer. Mira was right. She shouldn’t think about wanting to see Jongin after all that she has done. She caused him so much pain. She was being unfair to him.

Just then, Junhong appeared behind and lightly pushed Mira away. “What are you doing?” He scolded.

Mira turned around and glared at the male. She knew what he was yet she wasn’t afraid. “None of your business.” She pushed him hard and walked away.

Junhong faced Lana who was looking distressed. “Are you alright?”

“Yea –“ She mumbled and walked away towards the next class. She didn’t bother to explain anything to him.

The encounter with Mira has somewhat made Lana changed her decision to see Jongin. She was about gave up on the idea.

 

The final bell rang, signalling the end of the first day of the semester. Students packed their bags and hurried out of the class. Meanwhile, Lana slowly stood up. She glanced to see Junhong all done with the packing.

“I need to go to the washroom for a while.” She said and left him.

Junhong didn’t pursue further. Instead, he watched her from behind. He knew what she was going to do and was waiting for the right time to intervene.

Lana walked towards the washroom located at the end of the corridor. She was looking down the entire time with her head hung low. She walked continuously until suddenly, someone pulled her to the side.

She was surprised by the sudden pull but when her eyes met with another pair, she was even more stunned. Right before her, there he was, Jongin.

For a brief moment, none of them spoke. They locked eyes with one another. Lana looked into his while he looked into hers. Slowly, she moved her hand and touched his face. She felt the roughness of his skin. Most importantly, she felt his warmth. Her eyes began to fill with tears as she gently caressed his eyes, nose, lips and cheeks.

“J-J-J-J-ongin...”She choked.

Jongin didn’t say anything. He remained still. His world has stopped too. He felt her touch of skin and instantly, his heart began to beat rapidly. Only Lana has that effect on him. Without saying a word, he bent his neck and closed his eyes.

He moved his lips to hers and finally after so long, they kissed.

Lana didn’t stop him. She closed her eyes and sank deeper with the kiss. Her arms were wrapped around him while he held her closely. Their bodies touched and she could feel his warmth resonated through her soul. She was feeling alive. She finally felt like she was living.

They stopped eventually and pulled apart. Jongin rested his chin on top of her head, smelling her sweet scent. Lana rested her head against his chest and listened to his heart beat. Both of them didn’t have to speak a word to know how much they missed each other.

Just by a kiss, he knew she was still in love with him.

However, another voice crept in.

“Lana!”

Both of them turned to see Junhong snarling furiously. He stepped forward and pushed Jongin forcefully against the wall with a loud bang. He was about to throw a heavy punch when Lana stepped in between to stop him.

“Junhong, no!” She yelled.

“Go away!” He yelled back.

“If you hit him, you’re going to hit me too!” Lana cried out loud.

Lana was right. Junhong was going to hurt her. Eventually he stepped back but his eyes were still piercing right through Jongin. Without saying anything, Junhong pulled Lana with him but Jongin stopped him this time.

Lana was standing in between two of them. Both were about to pounce each other.

“Don’t leave me again.” Jongin finally spoke.

Lana’s heart sank. She faced him and let her tears fall. “I’m sorry.” She apologised.

“Let go of her. She’s already engaged.” Junhong faced Jongin.

“I don’t care.” Jongin responded. He turned his attention back to Lana and said. “You promised me, didn’t you? You will come back to me.”

“I-I-I-“ Lana couldn’t say anything. She was conflicted.

“Come on Lana. You love me.” Jongin said as he cupped her cheeks.

Junhong was fuming mad. He couldn’t bear to see them any longer. He grabbed Lana yet this time, she pulled away.

“Let me go.” She demanded.

“No!” Junhong blurted out loud. “Lana, don’t do this to Yongguk. You’re his fiancée.”

Although Junhong’s words stuck her quite harshly, she went towards Jongin. Junhong stared at her, all speechless. Lana went for Jongin and embraced him tightly. He kissed her forehead tenderly and they stayed together.

Junhong was so furious but remained his cool. He walked away without saying a word, leaving the couple behind.

“Lana, don’t leave me.” Jongin said.

Lana shook her head and replied. “Hang in there for a while. I’m sorry.”

“Do you have to do this? Marry him?” Jongin looked into her eyes.

“I don’t want to lose you, Jongin.” Lana sobbed.

“I’m alright now. You don’t have to sacrifice anymore.”

Once again, she shook her head vehemently. “You don’t know the council members. They’re ruthless! They won’t spare anyone.”

“I can protect you.” He said.

“I know you can but I have to protect you too.” She said. “You love me?”

Jongin kissed her lips and answered. “I love you with all my heart.”

“Then, wait for me.” She ended with a kiss on his right cheek. Slowly, she walked away.

 

To be continued...


Finally Jongin and Lana meet again. It was short and bittersweet. Soon they have to part.

But will Lana eventually return to Jongin? Or will she stay with Yongguk?