Missing

Sequel: A Beautiful Curse II

13.

Missing

~*~


Lana walked down to the first floor of the palace towards the kitchen. She wanted to get herself a drink. She could have just requested her maids for it but she thought it would be better for her to roam around the palace for once. She was still fearful of the guards and maids. Although they were nice to her, she still felt intimidated by their presence. Their pale glowing skin and red eyes still caused her goose bumps.

As she was about to enter the kitchen, she overheard a conversation among the servants.

“I heard the Princes might be going out of town the day after tomorrow.”

“Yeah... I don’t know what is it about but I guess it has something to do with the council.”

“What do they want?”

“I don’t know. I’m guessing they are pushing for Prince Yongguk and Princess Lana to get married.”

Lana sighed. Of course it was going to be about her future plans. What else can the council want from the royal family?

Timidly, she entered the kitchen in which the servants immediately stopped their conversation. She smiled at them while they fumbled upon her entrance. Lana was always amused to see the guards and maids being nervous around her, just because she was the Princess. Well technically, she held the highest position in the palace among the females.

“I’m just going to get myself a drink.” Lana said.

“Oh? We’ll get it for you, Princess.”

“It’s alright.” Lana headed towards the refrigerator and took a small bottle of milk. She looked inside and noticed the fridge was filled with food. Everything was for her only. “Oh my, we have a lot of things in here.”

“Yes, Princess. Do you want us to prepare a meal for you?”

“No no –“ Lana smiled and shook her head. “I already ate in school.” She closed the fridge and looked at the servants. “Who does the shopping for all these?” She asked.

“Sometimes Prince Himchan will do the grocery shopping. Sometimes Prince Youngjae.. Why Princess?”

“Ah I see.” Lana replied. “I’ll tell them to cut down on it because it’s way too much for me.” She said nicely. “Anyway, keep up the good work. Do take some rest if you’re –“ She stopped halfway and realised her mistake. “I’m sorry. You don’t get tired. Hmmm, maybe do take the day off and spend some time for yourself. I don’t know. Go shopping or sightseeing –“

“We aren’t allowed for all that, Princess. We stay here and never leave the palace.”

“Really? Who makes up the rules over here?” Lana asked curiously.

“The Princes.” The servant answered timidly.

Lana shook her head. “Aww that’s terrible. I’m going to tell them off.”

“Please don’t do that, Princess. We are happy to stay in the palace forever. It is an honour to serve the royal family.”

“Nope. This is a violation. You as an employee have the right of freedom too. Don’t you want to see how the outside world is like?”

“We already know how the outside is.”

“I mean like now... You know like... Hmm , I’m sure you knew of the outside world when –“ Lana stopped briefly, trying to come up with a better way to express herself. “You were still human?”

“Yes, Princess.”

“And that must have been 100 over years ago?”

“Yes, Princess.”

“Well, all the more I should tell the Princes to let you have off days so that you can enjoy. Don’t worry about it. I’ll convince them.”

The servants didn’t retaliate anymore. In fact, they were smiling brightly. Lana’s idea was definitely tempting for them.

“Thank you for your kindness Princess.” The servants bowed before Lana.

Lana was happy knowing that the servants were delighted too. However, as she was about to exit the kitchen she turned around and asked. “Anyway, I overheard your conversation. Is it true the Princes have to leave the palace to meet the council?”

“Yes, Princess.”

“Alright thanks. I’ll ask them about it.”

 

Lana walked out of the kitchen in search for at least one of the Princes. She climbed up to the second level towards the grand library where Youngjae usually was. She knocked on the door to the library while leaning against it to hear any sound from inside. She was right. The Princes were there. Within seconds, the door was opened and Daehyun stood before her with a questioning look.

“Yes, are you looking for us?”

Lana stared back at him and then peeped behind to see the rest of them looking at her. “Well, yeah. But if you are busy, I’ll go –“

“No, come in.” Yongguk appeared suddenly behind Daehyun. He pushed the door wider and let her in.

“Thank you.” She entered and walked towards an empty seat. Himchan and Jongup were sitting on the opposite while Youngjae was right next to the window. Yongguk walked towards the seat in the middle and Daehyun joined and sat at the sofa. She saw Junhong was there too, sitting at the corner without glancing up to acknowledge her presence.

“Do you have something to say?” Yongguk asked nicely.

Lana fiddled with her fingers nervously before finally asking. “I heard that you guys are going away for a while. Is it true?”

“Yes, we received a call from the council, requesting to discuss over an urgent matter which isn’t revealed. We’re not sure what it is though.” HImchan replied.

“They wanted all six of us to be present but –“

“But?” Lana looked at Jongup who stopped briefly.

“Well, we can’t leave you alone here nor bring you along.”

“Junhong said you have a test coming next week. Am I right?” Yongguk asked her.

Lana nodded. She was surprised that Junhong still remembered about her school curriculum. “Yes, I have school. Anyway –“ She swallowed hard before finally continuing. “I’m fine here. You guys may go ahead.”

“Are you sure?” Youngjae asked her.

“Yes, I’ll be fine.” She remembered how the servants and guards have been nothing but nice to her. There was no need to worry.  “It must be urgent. So, don’t worry about me and go for the meeting.”

“What if Junhong stays?” Daehyun proposed suddenly. Junhong looked up at the elder guy. His eyes were emotionless. It seemed like he neither agreed nor disagreed with the idea. “He needs to go school too anyway. We can tell the council its fine. There are still five of us.”

“Yup, that sounds good.” Yongguk agreed instantly.

Meanwhile, Lana looked at Junhong who seemed to be relatively quiet throughout the discussion. She knew he was unhappy to be left out. Moreover, he was obliged to baby sit her in a way. He must have really found her to be such a nuisance, she thought.

“So how, Junhong?” Himchan turned to the youngest.

“Yea whatever you want me to do.” Junhong replied flatly and stood up before leaving the room.

The rest of them didn’t even stop him. They knew it was best to just leave him be. Lana, on the other hand, felt responsible. And she didn’t blame Junhong for acting that way. She deserved it.

 

The next day in school, Lana met up with Jongin as usual after her lesson. It has become a mandatory for them to meet up every day. No matter how busy Jongin might be, he would still find time to wait for her in school. Of course, it was his only chance of being able to see her after all. Although Lana was sure the vampires weren’t particularly like the idea of her meeting a wolf and if she ever gets caught by any of the vampires other than the ones who already knew of her relationship with EXO, she would be in deep trouble. She was still the Princess and soon to be Queen of their kind.  They wouldn’t want to be affiliated with a Queen who has a bond with a wolf. Well technically, she belonged to one of the wolves, which was worst. Her life would be in danger and so would be EXO.

She sat in front of Jongin while he was behind, wrapping his arms around her waist. He rested his chin on her right shoulder and kept smelling her sweet hair scent. It was weird but he possessed wolf abilities. Smelling was one of his greatest senses. And Lana was his most alluring drug to him.

“The Princes would be away from the palace tomorrow.” Lana suddenly spoke as she played with his fingers casually.

Jongin smiled immediately. “That’s great. You can stay with us.”

Lana liked the idea but she refused the offer. “I’m sorry Jonginnie. I can’t leave the palace.”

With a sigh Jongin replied. “No one will know. Besides, it would be unsafe since they wouldn’t be around to protect you. I don’t trust them but I don’t trust the rest of the vampires even more.”

“They are fine. They won’t harm me. In fact, they have been treating me nicely.” Lana responded.

“I’m going to tell Yongguk to have you stay with us at least while they are away. Come on, EXO misses you so much and Uncle Lee too.”

Lana shook her and then turned around at him. Their faces were so close and their noses were almost touching. She looked into his eyes and said in a pleading voice. “Please understand that I can’t leave the palace. Jongin I love you a lot but this is not the time yet.”

Jongin stared down miserably. “Fine. But if anything ever happens to you, don’t stop me from bring you back home from that filthy place.”

“Alright –“ Lana agreed and then gently kissed his cheek. “Thank you for being understand.”

 

After that short rendezvous with Jongin, it was time to head back. Lana waited just outside school for her usual pick up while Jongin stayed close just a few metres away watching her. She looked at her watch and noticed that Himchan was later than usual. She has waited for about 15mins when a car swerved and stopped in front. She turned around and saw Jongin. She waved her good bye secretly and then hopped into the car.

To her surprise, it was someone unexpected. Junhong was there instead. He was the one fetching her from school that afternoon. She looked at him while he drove of the car without saying a word. The journey was silent. It has only been a week since they last talked but she already missed their interaction.

Hence, she began first. “How are you lately?”

Junhong didn’t answer straightaway. It took him at least a minute before he finally replied. “I’m okay.” His voice was coarse not the usual bubbly tone. However, Lana was already glad he finally responded to her.

“The class misses you.” She said. “It has been rather quiet without you around.”

“I’m sure they will live through it.” He said nonchalantly.

“I won’t.” She blurted. “I miss the old Junhong, the one who never fails to cheer me up, the one who smiles the brightest and the most mischievous to me.”

Junhong remained quiet. Lana’s words touched him but he was too egoistical. Instead of reconciling, he shot back. “Well I miss the old Lana too, the one who never betrays her kind and only makes Yongguk happy.”

Lana sighed. “Yes, I fail to make Yongguk happy but I won’t ever betray –“ She stopped suddenly. “Our kind, the cold ones...” She ended.

“I’m not sure if I buy your words.” He mocked.

Lana was baffled. She looked at him and spoke. “You can say whatever you want. It doesn’t matter what you think as long as my conscience is clear.”

“Then prove it.”

Lana was getting agitated by the seconds. At first she felt bad for Junhong but now he was questioning her loyalty which angered her. She folded her arms and refused to answer him. Instead, she blabbered. “You should just go with them. I would rather have a peaceful time on my own.”

“I was forced to, not that I intend to stay.” Junhong lied. Of course, he wanted to stay behind. No matter how angry he was at her, he still had to protect her. “Besides, you might just run away.”

“You’re being unreasonable and ruthless. If I wanted to, I would have run away long time ago.”

“Well that explains everything. You have thoughts of running away and you said you won’t betray us?” He provoked.

“Don’t twist my words.”

“Having a relationship with –“ Before Junhong could finish, she cut in rather angrily.

“If you want to continue about Jongin, then so be it. Me having a relationship with him and betraying the royal family has nothing to do with one another. I can’t live without him no matter what happens. I’m trying my best to make both ends meet.”

“Sadly, you can’t. You do know that we and your precious soul mate family will never co-exist.” He said quite harshly.

“Nothing is impossible. Just look at me...”

Lana came from a vampire mother and a wolf father. Nothing was impossible. Junhong wanted to snap back. Yes, Lana was a result of something extraordinary but looked at what happened. Neither her parents survived. And now, the one suffering was Lana. She was neither here nor there. The only way to solve was for her to choose a side. But she just can’t do it.

As soon as they reached back, Lana went straight into her room. She was too angry and wanted to calm herself. The Princes were about to leave when they saw both Junhong and Lana coming back with grim expressions. Yongguk chased after Lana to her room while the rest of them cornered Junhong.

“What happened?”

“Nothing.” Junhong answered monotonously.

“Junhong, whatever it is, learn to control yourself.” Jongup reminded.

The rest of them agreed. “We’ll be away for a short while and I expect no nonsense from you.” Himchan said.

“Look after her like always.” Youngjae reminded.

Junhong left the room and pretended to have not heard.

“Where are you going?” Daehyun called him when he noticed that Junhong was going out of the palace.

“I need to get a drink.” Junhong said.

“We are leaving now.” Daehyun reminded once again.

“Yea I know. Just go. I’ll come back soon. Come on, I need some fresh blood to cool myself down.”

“Don’t be too late. No one is here –“

“Whatever.” Junhong walked away.

Meanwhile, Yongguk was in Lana’s room. He held her hand gently and said. “I’m going now. Take care alright. Just find Junhong if you need anything...”

Lana smiled. “Don’t worry about me and settle everything that needs to be done.”

“I’ll come back in two days.” He said.

He turned around and walked away when suddenly she tugged his arm. He turned around and was surprised, when she kissed him on the cheek. “Take care and see you soon.” She said.

Yongguk didn’t expect the kiss. He was surprised. He looked at her eyes and brushed her cheeks tenderly.

“Lana,  I lov –“ He wanted to say it but stopped halfway. “I’ll come back. Wait for me.” And off he went.

 

Lana got herself ready for bed after a nice cold shower. She looked at the time and it was already midnight. The palace was unusually quiet since the Princes have gone away. She didn’t know where Junhong was and wasn’t bothered to look for him. She could take care herself without him. She was angry at him after the afternoon’s heated conversation. But the anger was slowly fading away. He has every right to be angry at her for being with Jongin. Yet, he shouldn’t question her loyalty for the royal family. She would put her life for them. If he wanted prove, then she would prove it to him one day.

As she laid on the bed and was slowly drifting to sleep, she was awoken by a sound of foot step. Thinking that it was probably Junhong checking on her, she continued to shut her eyes. However, in a swift movement, she was grabbed and pulled up by the waist unexpectedly. She opened her eyes only to see a pale stranger looking back at her. Frantically, she screamed but was covered before she could. Within seconds, her vision turned blurry. The intruder continued to cover tightly until she finally went limp. Slowly and quietly, he lifted her up and dashed across the balcony, out of the palace. No one heard. No one knew Lana was missing.

 

To be continued...


WHERE ARE YOU JUNHONG??