As Easy As Possible

Sequel: A Beautiful Curse II

3.

As Easy As Possible

 

~*~


Adjusting the palace life wasn’t as easy as how Lana expected it to be. It was even harder being among the presence of highly dangerous being, especially in the confined environment of the palace. Hence, she was left with no choice but to mop in her room almost the entire day, every day. Moreover, her clothing has changed. She could no longer wear her usual comfortable shorts and tank tops like how she used to don. Now, she had to dress nicely, like a Princess. Furthermore she left her previous home abruptly and wasn’t able to bring her clothes. So, she had to start wearing the clothes Yongguk has prepared for her. She had to behave appropriately as well; just like the title she currently possessed, a princess.

Lana looked at the reflection of herself in the full body mirror. There were dark circles and her face was pale, probably due to her loss of appetite these past few days. Also, her meals were often forgotten because none other than her actually eats. Thus there was hardly food prepared for her. She was the only human after all.

“Well at least I have something in common with them.” She mumbled at the paleness of her skin, just like the vampires.

Lana looked at the pretty floral sleeveless gown she was wearing. It was definitely pretty but she wasn’t doing justice towards the gown. She was physically a wreck. And mentally, she was just as bad. However, she tried putting on a strong front in front of these vampires fearing that if she displayed any sign of weakness, she was seen as vulnerable. Well, not like she was any threat to them.

Lana kept staring at her eyes of her reflection until she heard soft knocks on her door. She turned around to see Yongguk walking into her room.

“Hey –“ He greeted with a warm smile, a total opposite of his icy cold skin.

Lana flashed a weak smile in return. Truthfully, Yongguk has been the one pulling her together all this while. Without him, she would probably be dead by now. Not because the vampires would feed on her, but because when she was really at the lowest point in her life, Yongguk was there to comfort. His presence was greatly appreciated although she still felt rather cautious with him. It wasn’t because she didn’t trust him enough. She just didn’t want to hurt him knowing well that her heart has already been taken by, Jongin.

Jongin...

That name never failed to pierce her heart so painfully. However, right now, standing in front of her wasn’t the guy who she missed terribly, wasn’t the guy who she never wished to hurt and wasn’t the guy who she never wished to leave. Instead, Yongguk was the one before her.

Yongguk... Her husband-to-be...

Just the thought of it turned her dizzy and her knees turned weak. Luckily, Yongguk was quick to catch her.

“Hey, are you alright?” He was holding onto her waist tightly while she looked into his eyes. They were so close that she could see his pupils started to dilate, a sign which meant that he was either thirsty or feeling fearful.

“I’m fine.” Lana managed a nod before pulling herself away from him quickly. She didn’t want him to feel uncomfortable. Or rather, she was the one feeling uncomfortable by the close proximity between them.

Yongguk let her go but stayed close to her just in case she started to sway again. “You haven’t been eating well lately. Is the food not to your liking? Or do you have anything you would like to eat? I’ll get –“

“No, I’m really okay. Thanks.” Lana cut him off. She turned towards her bed and sat down, staring blankly on the floor.

Yongguk looked at her worriedly. It was definitely tough for her, living in the palace. More importantly, it was tougher being away from Jongin. He knew it.

He approached her slowly and knelt on the floor before her. As he lightly lifted her chin, he looked into her eyes. “Do you want to go home?” Lana’s eyes suddenly sparkled delightfully at the mention of home. It was rather painful to see her reaction but he was more concerned of her happiness rather than his. “I’ll bring you home, if you want to.”

Although it was a tempting offer, Lana shook her head and refused. “No, I don’t want to.” She knew well that if she returned to EXO, she was going to put their lives in danger, including Yongguk as well. She made a deal with the Council vampires and she had to fulfil it. No matter how much she dreaded being in the palace and away from the wolves, she must ensure everyone’s safety. She couldn’t afford to lose her important ones anymore.

She loved Jongin and she would come back for him. But, not now... She had to fulfil her role first...

“Lana, you don’t have to force yourself.” Yongguk said as he gently her cheeks and admired her beautiful face.

Once again, Lana shook her head. “I’m not. I have to do this... To save everyone...” She spoke with her eyes displaying unfaltering emotion.

Yongguk looked down briefly, trying to take in her words. She was right. She sacrificed everything in order to save everyone, including himself. “I promise I’ll do anything to make it easy for you. Hang in there, my Princess.”

Being called a Princess has become a norm to Lana’s ears. She has grown numb towards the title she was bearing. There was no point telling Yongguk to stop calling her that, although she disliked it so much. “I will.” She answered as he pulled her for an embrace.

 

Yongguk stepped up the throne and encircled it. Thoughts raced in his mind as he looked at the throne which he would soon be able to sit on. It was definitely waiting for him. Yet, after watching Lana’s miserable state, he wished he could just throw this throne. After all, it was just a wooden chair, nothing magnificent about it. He closed his eyes and let out a sigh. He didn’t want it to end this way. Yes, he was glad he could have Lana by his side but not when she’s slowly destroying herself.

Yongguk ensured Lana’s stay in the palace was as comfortable as possible. He regularly checked on the meals prepared for her and made sure it was to her taste. But, she barely touched her food prepared specifically for her. He provided a nice room with a comfortable bed, only in hers. Yet, she was haunted by sleepless nights and could never get proper rest. He did everything to ensure she was safe from harm, safe from the eyes of the vampires. He even requested the rest of the Princes to take turns guarding her room, when he was not around. But Lana was still lonely.

Yongguk took a glance at the throne for the last time before turning around and exiting the grand hall. However, just when he was about to exit the door, Himchan and Daehyun entered. Their faces were cold and stiff. That was when he noticed two other male vampires behind them.

“Prince Yongguk, how is the wedding preparation coming along?” Ken and Leo, two of the Council vampires entered following Himchan and Daehyun.

Yongguk recognised those two vampires so well. They were once guards of the Palace but turned their backs against the Royal family and joined the Council. Everyone wanted to be a part of the Council because they were in fact the highest beings in the vampire kind. It wasn’t the Royal family any more after what the previous King did. Although the Council listened and respected the Royal family, Yongguk never trusted them at all. Their main duty was to protect the existence of their kind in this human world. To them, as long as the vampires did not expose their kind to the humans who were clueless of their existence, then they were safe. Hence, protecting the Royal family wasn’t their priority. In fact, if they could, they would have expelled the Royal family for good. But they still kept them, for name sake.

“What brings you here?” Yongguk asked the two unwanted visitors.

Ken and Leo bowed before the Prince before speaking. “We are here to remind you that the Council is closely monitoring the situation. A week has passed but nothing has been confirmed.”

Yongguk let out a short cynical laugh. “It’s not easy to prepare a wedding, especially a Royal one. Tell that to the Council.”

Leo stiffened a little but soon relaxed after Ken spoke. “We can offer help if it’s too difficult.”

Yongguk stared at the both of them, almost glaring fiercely. Yet, he remained his cool. “I have a request. Would you be able to convey my message to the rest of the Council?” Yongguk asked.

“What is it?” Leo eyed him suspiciously.

Yongguk looked at Himchan and Daehyun before speaking his mind. “Instead of a wedding, I would like to have an engagement ceremony first.”

Ken and Leo frowned and tilted their heads. “Engagement? Why would you need an engagement?”

“It’s the Royal family tradition. Aren’t the Council aware of this?” Yongguk defended.

“Alright, we’ll convey the request, since it’s tradition as you’ve said.” Ken said.

“Are you sure you’re following the tradition, my Prince? Or are you stalling for time?” Leo provoked.

“Just so you know, the Princess can never run away from the deal she made. Engagement to prevent the wedding? That is something the Council won’t like to hear.” Ken added.

Prince Yongguk shook his head and smiled forcefully. “No hidden agenda. We’re just following tradition.”

Ken and Leo understood. “I guess that’s all that we need to know. We’ll convey the message back and hope to hear more good news from the Royal family. Till then, take care of the Princess.” Leo said. His last sentence struck Yongguk. It was definitely a warning from the Council.

The two Council vampires bowed for the last time before exiting the room. As soon as they opened the door, they were greeted with a sight.

“Princess Lana, our respect to you.” Ken and Leo bowed in unison as Lana stood before them at the doorway.

Lana was taken aback by their presence and immediately shivered in fear. The Council vampires left terrifying memories for her. “Oh-h? H-H-H-Hi... I m-m-m-mean... G-G-Glad t-t-to see –“ She stumbled her words.

Seeing the fear in her eyes, Yongguk dashed towards her and stood in front protectively. He held onto her hand hoping it would comfort her however, the two vampires noticed the immense terror. They took the opportunity to instil even greater fear in her.

“Are you preparing well for the engagement, Princess?” Ken smirked.

“E-E-Engagement?” Lana stuttered.

“Yes, everything is going just right.” Yongguk answered on her behalf.

“Good to hear. We can’t wait to come to the party. We’re sure you will look beautiful, Princess.” Leo said.

Himchan interrupted their conversation and said. “Ken, Leo, how about a glass of red hot deer’s blood?” He offered the two Council vampires glasses of red liquid.

“Oh thank you. We’re actually quite thirsty.” Ken said as he took the glass. He stared at Lana intensely before drinking the red liquid right before her eyes.

Lana felt like she could throw up any minute. The smell of blood on top of her fear for the two vampires before her only made her weak in the knees. She felt like she passing out but Yongguk kept a steady grip on her.

Once done, the two vampires wiped the remaining blood from their lips and then looked at the Princess. “Thanks for the drink. We’ll be making our move now. See you soon, Princess.”

Lana couldn’t even speak or move an inch. She just stood still as the two vampires bowed and left. Right after they left, Yongguk turned to Lana.

“What do they mean by engagement?” Lana said, her voice sounded faint. She was in dazed after what just happened.

“We get engaged first. We’ll think about the wedding on a later date. It gives you more time to be prepared.” Yongguk said.

“Why?” Lana asked as she looked into his eyes.

Yongguk smiled and answered. “I told you that I would do my best to make it easier for you.” He looked into her eyes and he could sense that she was thankful for what he has done. A tear dropped and instantly, he wiped it with his thumb. “It’s the least I could do.” He said.

 

“One pain is cured by another..."

 

To be continued...


A/N:

I'm sorrry for not updating for a long time. Something personal happened to me. I lost someone really dear and it was a really difficult time for me. Besides, I just ended my school exams. So it was really hectic. But a promise is a promise.  I will finish the story. Don't worry. I just need more time to draft out the chapters first. Nonetheless, here is an update. Thank you for your patient and hope to see you in the next chapter. =)