Revenge

Sequel: A Beautiful Curse II

7.

Revenge

~*~


Jongin ventured into forest at night all alone. It has been almost two weeks since Lana left him and although he was trying to live normally like how he used to, it was just too difficult. He didn’t talk to anyone. He was always in his room or alone outside. Neither did he eat. He lost his appetite and as a result, he was getting skinnier. The rest of EXO still monitored the forest every night even though Lana was no longer with them. But they left Jongin out from doing the night rounds since he wasn’t at the right state of mind and body. Thus, Jongin had all the time for himself and he mostly went to the forest towards the lake just to keep his mind at rest.

Dressed only in a pair of cut-off jeans, Jongin ran freely across the forest at immense speed. He let the wind tussled with his hair messily and breathe in the air. It was dense and heavy on that particular night. He sprinted until he reached the lake; the place which reminded him of Lana more than anything else. Across the lake stood the palace and he watched it with desperate eyes, slightly panting from the run. Every night he came by the lake to see the palace, desperately hoping he could catch Lana at the other side, even just a glimpse of her. But there was hardly any sign of her. All he could hear was her soft heart beating. The lake was where he could hear her heart so clearly. And that was enough to keep him living every single day she was gone.

Just like any other night, Jongin closed his eyes and let the sound of her heart drowned him. “Please come back...” He muttered softly and a tear dropped.

“I know you’re there looking at me right now. I promise to bake your favourite chocolate muffins every day. I promise to teach you how to dance. I promise I won’t call you lame anymore. I promise I won’t climb up your balcony and give you a scare. I promise I won’t mess up your hair. I promise –“ He choked on his tears.

 “To take you somewhere nice; to the top of the mountain, just like you’ve always wanted. I promise, I promise to be with you every single second until you’re sick of me.”

Jongin stopped as he bawled uncontrollably. “I –“ He stuttered while trying to fight the tears. “I promise to take care and love you for as long as I can and make you the happiest girl one can ever be.”

“Please just come back home.” He ended and dropped on his knees as he continued to sob.

 

Back in the palace, Yongguk stood at the balcony in Lana’s room and stared at the lake. His head turned away and looked at Lana who was on lying on the bed. The party was still ongoing despite the couple’s exit. It has been an hour he spent in Lana’s room waiting for her to come to. He walked back in and shut the balcony door behind him.

As he slid the doors closed, he muttered softly. “I can’t let her go back to you.” And he locked the doors, not letting even the wind to enter inside.

Yongguk went over to sit by the bed and lightly Lana’s hand. She was warm and above all, she was beautiful. The light make-up on her face and her hair which was still neatly styled; she was indeed how a Princess in the palace should be like. She lived up true to her name. Smiling all by himself, Yongguk recalled the moment back during the engagement ceremony. Although it seemed like he was holding up relatively well, he was actually rather nervous himself. He was just glad everything went smoothly and Lana did really great.

Yongguk gently cupped her smooth cheeks and gazed her sleeping face when suddenly he felt movement. Lana’s head turned slightly before slowly opening her eyes.

“Hey –“ Yongguk called out and smiled. “How are you feeling?”

It took a while before Lana could figure out what was happening. She looked around only to realise that she was on her bed, still with her gown on. Yongguk was beside her, looking worried. Yet, the first thing that came to her mind is. “I need to return to the party.”

Slowly, Lana pushed herself up but was immediately held down by Yongguk. “No, the party is over for you.”

Lana could still hear the music and laughter from the hall below and she was sure the party wasn’t over. She hated being a party pooper especially when she just embarrassed herself by fainting in a crowd of vampires. She was already weak enough being the only human and now she made herself looked even weaker. With a sigh, she looked into Yongguk’s eyes and said. “I’m alright now. It’s not nice of me to leave the guests unattended –“

“Lana, listen. You don’t have to do this.” Yongguk spoke in a somewhat serious tone. He didn’t like seeing how Lana was pushing herself in order to create a good impression for his kind. He just wanted her to be normal. There was nothing to prove to the vampires. Just being Lana was enough for him.

“I have to.” Lana tried to convince. “Yongguk, this isn’t just about the engagement. All these vampires; they’re here not because of the engagement. They’re here to see me. They’re here to judge me. And I can’t just stay in this room and let them think that I’m this kind of Queen; incapable –“

“Stop.” Yongguk cut her. “That’s enough.” He didn’t raise his voice but it sounded harsh. “You stay here and that’s final. There is nothing to prove to them; absolutely nothing. I don’t like how you’re dealing with this. You’re not supposed to impress them. You don’t have to.” He took her right hand where the engagement ring was and kissed it gently. “Lana, believe me. I don’t care whether they like you or not.”

Lana looked at the ring and then gazed into his eyes. “Oh well –“ She mumbled. “I’m still upset that I didn’t leave them a good impression.” She tried to laugh it off but Yongguk could see that she was disappointed in herself and this made him feel terrible.

“And you –“ Yongguk pointed. “You should have told me that you’re feeling unwell.”

“You were busy with the Council members. I didn’t want to interrupt.” Lana replied rather dejectedly.

Yongguk cursed at himself for leaving her alone. “I’m sorry.” He apologised. “Are you feeling better already?”

Lana smiled and said. “It’s not your fault. I’m okay. I just need to –“ She pushed herself off the bed and walked towards the balcony. Yongguk eyed her movement as he watched her unlocked the balcony doors and slid it open. “Did you close this?” She asked but wasn’t expecting any answer when she walked outside the balcony, letting the cold air seeped through her skin. She was dressed in a sleeveless gown and Yongguk was worried that she was going to be cold. So, he grabbed the nearest shawl he could get and approached her quickly but stopped when she said. “This feels nice; the wind, the air, the night sky and –“ She stopped to see the moon right above her head. “The moon.”

“Put this on. You’re going to catch a cold.” Yongguk draped the shawl over her shoulders. Although she didn’t reject it, he sensed that she was absolutely fine with the cold.

“Thanks.” Lana said. “Being out here is sort of therapeutic for me. I don’t even know why. It’s like the nature is calling me; talking to me.”

Yongguk remained stiff as he listened to her. Lana closed her eyes and shivered a little. She was trying to hold back her tears.

“I –“ She continued. “I just need to tell him that I’m sorry.” She sobbed and eventually let the tears fall. “Every night I wait here, looking at the lake and imagining him being there. I just want him to know that I’m sorry. But he must hate me right now. And I don’t blame him at all.”

Lana then turned to Yongguk who has been watching and listening to her silently. Her eyes were full of pain. “I’m sorry to you too.”

Lana continued crying as she turned to face the outside. She knew that she has hurt Yongguk by her confession. Yet, she couldn’t help it. She needed to let the weight off her shoulders. Besides, she thought it was best to tell Yongguk now rather than dragging him deeper. Yes, she cared for him but her heart only belonged to Jongin. No matter what happened, even if she was never going to see Jongin ever again, she still loved him more than anyone. As for Yongguk, she owed him everything. If there wasn’t Jongin, she would have repaid him with her heart or even her life. Although she loved Jongin, she could never bear to lose Yongguk. Hence, she believed what she was going through right now was only because she wanted to protect the two men she treasured the most. Even at the expense of hurting them both.

Yongguk didn’t say anything; instead he stared blankly at her back. In his head, his thoughts raced. Right from the start he knew he was tearing apart a bond so strong yet fragile, that if one breaks, the other will too. Jongin at the other side and Lana over here... Only these two could sense each other’s presence without even realising it.

~*~

Sipping the glass of blood, Hakyeon, or commonly known as N, glanced at the faces of his brothers. They gathered within the walls of the Council territory after attending the royal couple engagement just hours ago. The party was magnificent just as expected from the royal family but it seemed like the council members were a little displeased. They wanted a wedding not an engagement. And they wanted a Queen who was their kind, not a human. Some of the council members were fine with the engagement as yet. But for N and his brothers, this was an obstacle between them and the goal they have always wanted; revenge against the royal family. They were once a part of them, holding high positions in the palace when the previous King used to rule. However, after Yongguk and the rest of the Princes dethroned the King, they decided to leave the royal family. They have always been under the rule of the King and when Yongguk took over, it was just hard for them to accept him. Yongguk left the palace and rely to banish the King. Hence, many left and joined the Council. As for N and his brothers, they left and brought along secrets of the royal family, many didn’t know. This was the right time to get back at Yongguk and the princes.

Leo folded his arms and leaned back. “What a lovely engagement.” He said casually yet mockingly.

“They’re just buying time not to have the wedding.” Ravi revealed.

Ken let out a cynical laugh. “Relax Ravi. They can’t get away so easily.”

“Yongguk will never change her.” Hongbin joined.

“He has to or he gets dethrone.” Ken said. “We can’t have a human Queen. That’s a blasphemy to our kind and our ancestors.”

“Either he changes her and gets on with the wedding or he chooses to keep her human and breaks the promise with us.” Leo explained.

N threw a smirk and said. “He will be at lost either way. But that’s not the main point.” He paused and flashed his red eyes. “Yongguk and the princes have something we all want.”

“Powers –“ Hyuk pointed out.

“Literally powers.” N spoke. “They have gifts not many of our kind could own; only those belong to the royal family and those who were specially chosen by them.”

“If we obtain those powers, we could be just like them or even more powerful.” Leo said.

Hyuk looked at his older brothers and raised his point. “We don’t know what gifts they possess. They could be a lot stronger than we expect.”

Ravi draped an arm around the young vampire shoulder and chuckled. “Who cares what they are capable of, we just need their blood and that’s enough.”

“No, Ravi. Hyuk is right.” N clarified. “We have to know their gifts before we could plan an attack.”

Ken nodded and agreed. “They’re smart to conceal their gifts and from what I’ve realised after the engagement last night; none of the guards or servants in palace knew about it.”

“Some are even clueless –“ Leo added.

“Of course they wouldn’t know that the princes possess powers. They’re new. The ones, who left, like us, know this secret too well.” N said.

Ravi settled back and glanced around. “So what do you expect to do, leader?” He directed his attention at the oldest among them.

“I’m pretty sure at least a person knows about them.”

“A person?”

“Yes, person... We have to get her.”

 

To be continued...


We have these bad guys... I love VIXX and i think they make perfect vampires. I mean just look...