A Glimpse

Sequel: A Beautiful Curse II

8.

A Glimpse

~*~


A new semester has started and Lana was least excited to attend school. She only has a semester before she completed high school and eventually entering college. Her life took a drastic change over a month. Now, she lived in the palace, a place full of the blood kind. And she was already engaged to a Prince. Best part, she was only 18 years old who has yet to complete her education still.

Lana stood in front of the mirror as she tied her hair. Dressed in school uniform, she looked the same as before and none of her classmates would know anything that has happened. Except for a few; Junhong and Mira...

Mira’s name appeared in her mind and immediately she shuddered. Mira was the closest she would ever get in order to know how EXO was doing. Most importantly, how Jongin was doing. Then again, Mira might not be attending the same school anymore. She might have transferred elsewhere. They might have brought her somewhere far and safe. They; EXO. Obviously, they hated her and wouldn’t want their little sister, the only one left to be hanging out with Lana.

Lana closed her eyes and erased all the thoughts in her head. She must endure just a few more months before leaving everything behind, her friends and teachers in school. They wouldn’t know a thing and it was best that way.

“Lana, are you done?” Someone knocked on her door while she was getting her thoughts in place. She turned around to see a blonde Junhong walking into her room all dressed in uniform just like hers.

Lana examined his appearance from head to toe. He looked the same as the first time she met him, like a young student. Of course, he was forever young. He was tall and skinny but not too thin for a guy his age. But compared to the rest of the Princes, Junhong was not as buff. He might seem like a normal student, not much of a threat. Yet, underneath his cheerful facade, Junhong was the most dangerous predator in school. And only Lana knew who he was and what he was capable of.

Lana nodded and replied. “Yes...” She grabbed her backpack and walked towards him.

“Great, let’s go. I’m driving.” Junhong exclaimed ecstatically while tossing the car keys.

Lana stared at him with wide eyes. He was in a good mood unlike her. He seemed to be excited about going to school together with her for the first time. She looked away from him and exited the room.

As she walked down the staircase, Himchan was waiting below. Holding what seemed like a lunch pack for her, he passed it to her with bright smile. “Here you go, for lunch. I made it.”

“You cooked?” Lana was surprised considering that vampires don’t eat food like humans, much less cook. It was sweet of him, she thought but it wasn’t necessary. She would probably bring the lunch back home just the way it was, untouched. She wasn’t in the mood for school or food.

Himchan patted her head and said. “I’m a major in food and nutrition alright? So, I know how to cook and what sort of nutrients a teenage girl like you need.”

“Hyung –“ Junhong eyed Himchan suspiciously but then focused his attention at Lana. “Maybe you should stick to the canteen food –“

“Thanks, Prince Himchan.” Lana cut Junhong and smiled at Himchan.

Himchan was about to give Junhong a tight smack but stopped when Lana thanked him instead. “Aish, how many times must I tell you. Don’t call me Prince Himchan. It’s Himchan Oppa. OP-PA.” He emphasised.

Lana’s face blushed a little when Himchan requested for her to call him endearingly. “Alright, Himchan Oppa.” It felt awkward to be honest.

“See, it’s not that hard. Okay now get going. I bet you can’t wait to see your classmates.” Himchan said.

Lana snorted inaudibly. Facing her classmates was the last thing in her mind right now. However, she forced a smile and walked towards the main door when suddenly she heard someone calling.

“Lana –“ Yongguk came from behind and approached her. He was wearing a white shirt with his sleeves rolled up and black pants with black shoes. He wore the same kind of smart casual outfit all the time, shirt and pants. Yet every time she saw him, he was always good looking and charming as ever. He was smiling and his eyes gazed hers, making her feel nervous suddenly. “Take care and see you later. Don’t forget to eat lunch and don’t be naughty in class. Study hard, beautiful.”

Upon hearing his words, Lana couldn’t help but curse at herself for not saying goodbye to him before heading to school. He was her fiancé after all; a sweet one too. He was gentle despite the pain she was causing him. Even now, he was giving her the strength knowing that she was having a hard time facing the crowd after a long time. Slowly she walked towards him and wrapped her arms around his waist as she rested her head on his right shoulder. “Thank you.”

“Why are you thanking me?” Yongguk whispered into her ear.

“For everything...” Lana muttered as she tried to force her tears from falling.

 

In the car, Junhong switched on the radio letting the music flowed freely. It was a bright morning and the temperature was just nice. She looked outside and saw endless of trees. As the palace was located quite a distant away from town where the school was, they definitely needed to travel by car. Casually, she rolled down the window letting the wind blew her hair. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply for a while before shutting the window.

Junhong remained silent, watching her from the side. He didn’t want to question her actions and allowed her to do what she wanted. He knew she was miserable. She hasn’t been out of the palace for quite some time; hence she must have missed the outside world.

“How long have you been to school?” Lana suddenly asked out of the blue.

Junhong chuckled upon hearing her question. “I joined last year; just a few months before you came.”

“Oh?” Lana was surprised.

“Yeah. Before this, I wasn’t enrolled in any school. You know, I have been through high school close to 50 times!” He exclaimed.

Lana laughed finally. “Really? Then why did you even bother going back to high school again last year?”

“Because of you... I had to be in the same school as you.” He explained.

“Did Yongguk request for it?” She asked.

Junhong shook his head. “Even if he never requested it, I would have still done it. I knew when you were coming. Our paths are intertwined. Not just Yongguk, but all of us; you, me, the Princes and even –“ He stopped briefly but eventually continued. “EXO.”

Lana stumped after hearing the last word yet she stayed cool. “So, you could see the future?”

Junhong smirked a little. “Not really the future. I have good sense of judgement like I know what is most likely to happen or when it will happen.”

Lana frowned. “I don’t understand.”

“Okay, you see that man over there.” Junhong pointed to a pedestrian walking along the side path. “What do you think he’s going to do next?”

Lana shrugged. “Hmm, I don’t know. Maybe he’ll go inside the convenient shop and get himself a drink.” She answered uncertainly.

“Close but he’s actually going to meet his wife inside.” Junhong said.

True enough, the man entered the shop and greeted a lady with a kiss. They seemed like a pair of husband and wife. “How do you know?”

“It’s not the future that I see but more of like I know what will happen next just by looking at a person. I can see what a person plans to do and when he plans to do it.” He explained.

 “So you have to see a person before knowing what is it?” She asked.

“Nope, I don’t have to. I didn’t have to see you to know that you were coming to this town.” He said. She was still confused and he could see it on her face. “Okay, I can’t see the future. But I know what a person plans to do right at the moment. I can sense a person’s decision, whether if he wants red or black. I exactly know what he will choose.”

“Alright I get it.” She said. “Am I right to say that this is your special gift?”

Junhong nodded. “Yes, just like Yongguk has the ability to heal. I have this gift. Same goes for the rest of the Princes.”

“What do the rest have?”

Junhong was glad they were finally talking and it seemed like Lana was becoming more interested on knowing about his kind. “Well, Himchan hyung is able to infiltrate pain through the mind. Daehyun hyung could numb and control someone’s mind. Youngjae hyung is able to trace memories of a person. And lastly, Jongup hyung is able to sense whether someone is lying.”

Lana was amazed. “Wow, that’s really cool.”

“Aside from that, we are also stronger and faster than most of our kind.” Junhong added with a smirk. “Never mess with the royal family.”

“Does every of your kind possess such gifts?” She asked.

“Nope, only us and those who share the same blood as us.” He answered.

Lana frowned again. “What do you mean share the same blood?”

“As you know, our royal blood is highly sacred. We are the only ones who possess such rare gifts. However, we can bestow such powers to any of our kind. They just have to drink our blood. The late King used this to create his personal royal guards.”

“You mean like that two –“

“Jaejoong and Yoochun? You remember them?”

“Of course.” Lana shuddered, remembering the first night she encountered with these two highly trained royal guards.

“Yup, they are examples of such.” He said but he sounded deflated. “And, they will be the last of it. None of our kind should ever know about this.”

“Because if that happens, you guys will be targeted.” She said.

Junhong nodded and agreed. “It’s bad enough that many aren’t particularly fond of the royal family.” Lana knew he was referring to the council. “It’s going to be worst if they knew of such powers we possess and what our blood could do.”

Lana tapped his shoulder and said convincingly. “Don’t worry. Your gifts will never be known to anyone. The royal family will exist indefinitely.”

 

Eventually after a long ride, Junhong pulled the handbrake and stopped the engine. Lana looked around before finally stepping out of the car. Once she was out, some students glanced to see her and had surprise expression. Not because they were surprised to see her after the holiday but because she came to school in a car with Junhong. He, on the other hand, acted like nothing has happened. In fact, as soon as he was out, he met up with his group of friends, bumping fists with them and laughing out loud.

Lana walked towards the entrance of the school when suddenly; Junhong pulled her arm from behind quite forcefully. She thought he has forgotten about her after meeting his friends.

“Not this way, let’s enter from here.” Junhong said as he led her towards another entrance to the school.

“Why?”

“Don’t ask. Just follow me.” He said.

Lana followed him but when she heard commotion at the back, she turned around to see what was going on. There were a group of students crowding near the entrance she initially planned to go before Junhong pulled her away. That was when she realised why he did that.

“Jongin –“ Her world stopped.

 

To be continued...


OHHHHH? Are they going to meet? Lana and Jongin? Stay tuned to next update!