A Broken Dinner

My Player

Chopsticks, knives, spoons, and forks all had their equal share of clinking against the plates that night. The dinner table was crowded. Both of Soori’s elder brothers were there, Taekwoon and Hyuk, luckily, Taekwoon had left his wife and kids at his own house. They sat across from Soori, beside Soori was Mark, and at the ends of the table were mother and father with Taekwoon and Soori sitting near their father, leaving Mark and Hyuk beside the mother. Another lucky factor, there was no uncle that night.

The dinner was mostly quiet, with the exception of the father’s consistent insults and talking down to the rest of the family. Mark had a growing anger starting to build inside of him, but he knew he had to keep his cool. Every now and then, his gaze would lift to look at Soori’s father, but Hyuk’s foot would nudge him from under the table, and the brother would just shake his head.

Finally, the meal was just about finished. Soori was ready to excuse herself from the table and say that Mark had to get home, but of course, her father would not let her even get the chance.

“So, my daughter actually has a guy? What’s your name son?” he addressed Mark with a small grin.

Mark hesitated, but eventually answered him. “Mark.”

“Mark… American boy?” Mark nodded once.

“I see… You look too good for my daughter. Are you a player?”

Mark raised an eyebrow, and his gaze shifted to the other family members for help on an answer.

“It wasn’t an immediate no. So you must be a player. Aahhh… I like you, son. Heh, you’ll probably do Soori in just like I did with her mother,” he then burst into a maniacal laughter. Soori’s fists clenched underneath the table, and she shut her eyes for a moment, mentally counting to three and taking a deep breath before she opened them again.

Sadly, nothing could keep out the booming laughter of her father as he pounded his fist against the table before his gaze lifted up to Soori’s mother. “Oh, my dear. Do you have any booze? I know that brother of yours, he has to have some beer somewhere. Be a good woman and get me a few bottles. Maybe if we’re lucky we’ll have another child tonight,” he then burst into more laughter, watching with amusement as the woman stood up to obediently get him a beer.

Mark was astonished. How could this family let that man push them around like that. Were they that reliant on his money? Did they need money from him so bad to let him push them around like that, or did they just grow used to that being how it was?

Soori couldn’t bear to watch her mother grab the bottles of beer from the fridge. Before she could even open the fridge door, she slammed her fist onto the table and stood up. “No!” She yelled defiantly.

Everyone stopped and looked up at the young girl with wide eyes. There was an intense flame in her eyes, it was almost a murderous gaze, and she was ready to close in for the kill. She turned her head and met her father’s disgusted eyes.

“Ugh. Sit back down, little girl. Act more proper would you,” he scoffed. “And you!” he pointed to their mother, “Where is my beer? I need to get drunk.”

“No!” Soori yelled again.

“Excuse me? Are you yelling at me? You have the nerve to yell at me?”

“You don’t deserve to treat my mother like that! You don’t have the right to treat any of us like this!” Soori spat.

“Sit down, you little !”

“Don’t call her that!” Mark immediately rose up to defend Soori.

“Oh? A player is going to defend you? Don’t act like you care. You’re just here to her and leave her, don’t play games with me boy. I know what your kind does. I am your kind.”

“No. Soori is special. This family is special. They deserve better than your bull.”

After those words, Taekwoon slowly stood up as well, and rolled his shoulders back, “He’s right, Kinimitsu.”

“You! You have the nerve to call your father by his first name? Damn it, Nala, where is my beer?!” the father exploded.

“…Why don’t you grab one yourself and shove it up your ,” the mother spat back as well, closing the fridge door and making her way to join her children and Mark.

Kinimitsu scoffed, turning his head to look away from the sight in front of him. He found it all too disgusting. “You guys have the nerve to do this… Don’t you know who you’re talking to? The man that’s kept you all alive and taken care of? I’ve sheltered you inconsiderate pieces of !”

“And don’t you realize? We don’t need that anymore. We don’t need you anymore. We’ve grown tired of your bull. You are no father, you are no man that takes care of us. You’re still just an immature er. A little boy in the body of what? A seventy year old?” Soori scoffed.

“Pack up your bags, Kinimitsu,” Soori’s mother sighed, her voice being the only one that seemed to remain calm while her children were fuming with anger, “No one is buying your attitude anymore. We don’t deserve to put up with it anymore.”

Hyuk stood up and made his way to exit the dining room, “I’ll throw them out on the driveway for you, Kinimitsu. The same way you threw away our mother’s feelings for you,” he gave him a sarcastic smile before leaving the room to pack up his father’s bags.

Kinimitsu was raging with anger. He scoffed before standing up, glaring at everyone before his eyes fell on Soori. “Alright, so this boy might care for you now. But a player is a player, Soori. And you know, he’s going to leave you.”

“Wow. The most meaningful words I’ve ever heard from you and it’s when I’m tired of your bull,” Soori let out a dry chuckle before giving her father the icy glare she would throw whenever someone mentioned her father or uncle.

“Now get your out of this household.” 

~

“Sorry you had to see all of that…” Soori apologized to Mark after her father was kicked off to the streets. The two teenagers were now in Soori’s room, with Soori sitting at the foot of her bed while Mark was lounging on her chair in front of her desk.

Mark just smiled softly and shook his head, “I’m glad I got to see that. I feel a lot closer to you now.”

She let out a soft sigh and laid back on her bed, staring up at her ceiling for a moment. Mark kept his eyes on her, a small smile remaining on his lips as he gazed at the girl.

“Hey, are your parents okay with you staying here this late?” Soori suddenly asked, looking up at Mark.

“Hmm? Yeah, why wouldn’t they?”

“Well, we have school tomorrow, so…”

“It’s fine. I’ll be back home before midnight, that’s all that matters. Besides, they like you so they don’t really mind… And it’s only a little past seven.”

“Oh… Do you want us to take you home?”

“I’m sure you won’t let me walk home anyway, so yeah. Thank you,” Mark smiled softly.

Soori smiled back over at him, she waited for a moment and took a couple deep breaths. “Can you stay a little longer though? Let’s do some homework together… I don’t want you to leave yet…”

I guess she’s really bothered by this…

“Of course,” Mark let out a small chuckle, getting up off the chair and bringing both of their backpacks over to Soori’s bed. He laid down beside her on his stomach, pulling out a couple of their binders so they could work together. “How about we start with English?”

~

“No, Mark. That is not how you solve this!”

“What am I doing wrong? Look, this is how you do it!”

“Mark, everything you’re doing right now is wrong!” Soori laughed, pushing her homework aside as she leaned in closer to fix Mark’s mistakes as they were getting closer to finishing their math homework.

“Alright, alright…” he rolled his eyes, letting her fix everything up before closing his binders. “That’s enough for tonight. Thanks for the help, babe.”

She chuckled, sitting up and closing her binders as well, stretching out her arms as she checked the clock. Seeing that it was barely nine, she groaned and laid down again beside him.

“Thanks for staying here,” she whispered softly while still staring at the ceiling.

Mark looked over, softening a little bit as he to his side to look at her. “I’m here whenever you need me. Okay?”

Turning onto her side to face him, Soori smiled a little and nodded, “Okay… Thank you…” she spoke in a soft, delicate voice. After a moment of silence she moved closer to him, closing her eyes as she nuzzled her body up against his.  

Mark froze in his spot, taken aback from Soori’s sudden movements. His eyes widened as he looked down at her, her head was buried in his chest and her hands had a loose grip on his shirt. She looked like she was in her most vulnerable state.

He cleared his throat a little, about to speak up when Soori suddenly cut him off, “Just hold me for a moment…”

Without a second thought, Mark wrapped his arms around her waist. A small smile formed on Soori’s lips and she tightened her grip on his shirt. “…Hold me for more than a moment…” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Well that was a thing. This is half what I meant by it might seem rushed. The dad is in and out all in one chapter- 

Like I said, antagonists aren't too big in this chapter they'll all play a larger role in a later sequel c:

ALSO SHOUTOUT TO sprinkleofsarcasm FOR THAT GORGEOUS POSTER UP THERE I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE WOULD MAKE A POSTER FOR ME BUT OH MY GOSH THAT IS JUST SO LIKE SCJIAOWUEHGAIUERH

Comment Replies~

MIDNIGHTMYSTERY - Aaahhhhhh- I love all of the Blonde Marks on top but I don't think I can triple update for a while- I'll try my best! Hopefully someday~