Miss Pretentious

My Boyfriend's Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That’s it. I’m over.

 

These words silently escaped my shaky lips as I was standing immobile. The back of my eyes itched in an instant as I stared at the couple who was drowned in momentary tranquility. Recalling everything that had happened that morning, a hint suddenly came to my mind. I was given the opportunity to tell her, but I didn’t make use of it, or at least not in a very good way.

 

There was no one to blame but myself. It was all my fault. If I didn’t fake everything, this wouldn’t even be happening. Unfortunately, it was too late for realization now. Regret could do nothing about it either.

 

One of my hands slapped to cover my mouth as I took a step backward, planning to escape the forthcoming pain Jessica’s words were about to cause me.

 

I was about to fully back off when Jessica’s velvety voice interrupted my thoughts. “She hates me? You’re a liar,” she briefly told Nick as she let out a humorless chuckle.

 

“I’m not lying. She really is my ex, and she’s here to make you pay for it. She’s here to get revenge.” Nick spat, clenching his fists and teeth in anger.

 

I hopelessly took a huge amount of air as my sight wandered upwards, to the ceiling. I bit my lower lip harshly, thinking it could divert the pain I was feeling down my chest. But it didn’t.

 

It did hold my tears in place, though. I didn’t want to cry—not anymore. If there was someone who should be crying right now, it should be Jessica, because I messed up her feelings. Being I was the one who caused it, I had not even the slightest right to shed tears.

 

Out of the blue, my lips stretched into a sad smile as I remembered how downy her voice was when she told me she loved me. That moment I never wanted to leave—that’s over. I tried to swallow the invisible knot which formed in my throat but to no avail. It only made my breath hitch as it was devastatingly choking me.

 

When Jessica started to talk again, I completely lost it.

 

“You’re really something, Nick. Look at yourself. How much more pathetic can you get?” She paused only to dig the perfect words in her mind and continued, “Tiffany and I have only been friends for not that long, but I can already tell I know her well. I know how pathetic she can be every time she’s hurt. She will even beg just for someone she loves not to leave. But she’s way, way better than you who knows nothing but point a dirty finger at innocent people and blame others for your own fault.” Her upper lip twitched in disgust as she was giving him a head to toe once-over. It was apparent how she was just trying to compose herself when, in fact, she was hurting as well. She was hurt to know all the stuff I hid from her, everything I faked just to be with her.

 

Nick’s facade grew into a terrible one, as if he heard something he never once imagined. But he wouldn’t give up that easily. “You’re just saying that because you don’t really know her. She’s despe—”

 

Before he could go on, Jessica cut him off. “I know her better than you do. She told me everything—about you and her being a couple, about you cheating on her with me, about her breaking up with you because you’re an .” She proudly smiled at him, in a disdainful manner. “I know everything.”

 

My mouth flopped open, and my legs solidified in shock.

 

How did she know? I didn’t tell her any of those. If she really heard what I said when she was half asleep—I only said Nick is my ex, no more details.

 

I could only heave a sigh, whether in relief that she didn’t believe him or in fright that she would shut me out anyway, I didn’t know.

 

Nick must have felt uncomfortable upon hearing all those because he started fidgeting. He took a grip of the sleeve of his long-sleeved polo and folded it upwards to his elbow. He wordlessly glanced to the floor then back to Jessica. “Fine, let’s cut this off. Damn how I wasted my time going here only to get dumped by you. Sure, I love you. But I can have any girl I want anyway, so—goodbye.” He concluded self-assuredly though disappointment could clearly be heard from his voice. He rotated hundred eighty degrees and left.

 

Jessica, being left all by herself, ducked her head and stared at her feet as if it could ease the pain she was feeling. A couple more seconds passed, she paced forward and fell into a step in front of a table only to kick the corner of it. “.” She cursed in unison. It hurt me to see her like that, but I could do nothing. I was a coward after all, so I guessed that explained it.

 

I didn’t want to call for her attention as I didn’t know what to tell her once she asked me about it. I planned on just leaving, but then I heard her ask herself, “Why did she not tell me?” Her downy voice carelessly echoed in the vacant space. When she turned her back, she was like a deer caught in the spotlight seeing me standing before her.

 

I didn’t say a thing. I only watched how her eyes glistened because of the light illuminating the tears forming in them. As expected, she only gazed back at me. She was in a pessimistic thunderstruck while I was in a cocktail of dread. Everything was already awkward and uncomfortable, so I averted my eyes. My head turned to somewhere that had nothing to do with her as I ran my forefinger to wipe the tears forming in the corner of my eye. Unexpectedly, she began her pace and walked to invade my personal space. “Don’t tear up. I told you before, you’re ugly when you cry,” she rocketed off, forcing a giggle to come out.

 

Covering my face with both hands, I shook my head sideways. “I’m sorry,” I tried to say, but my voice faltered at the second word. It felt as if my heart was wrenched when her arms wrapped all over my waist. I knew from then she would never shut me out and we were alright.

 

One of her hands went up to pat the back of my head, and she spoke, “I knew everything for quite a while now. I was just waiting for you to tell me, but you didn’t. Nonetheless, I forgive you.” Afterwards, she puffed a relieved sigh, so I did as well.

 

“How did you—” I wanted to ask, but the hidden lump in my gullet made it hard for me.

 

She found that obvious because she explained, “Tiffany, I have money. You didn’t want to tell me your name, and I didn’t want to fall for a stranger.” She playfully rolled her eyes. “Also, that day when I saw you in disagreement with your friends at the mall, I heard everything. Sure, it wasn’t revealed then, but that was where I started to wonder why your best friend hated me so much. I wanted to ask you, but I didn’t, for I didn’t want to force it out of your system. When I drove you home, I found out your friend lives in the same dorm. I saw her, and I had a talk with her. She told me everything and apologized for the words that came out of . I asked her not to tell you about the conversation we had so—”

 

“So it’s because of you that she suddenly apologized to me the next morning and even threatened me to tell you everything,” I outwardly chuckled in disbelief. I thought I was the mastermind of all this. It turned out I was the only one who didn’t know what was going on.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter