Lesson 3

Lessons of the Heart

Daisy stared at Jinki like it was the first time she saw him.

“You work here?” Jonghyun asked making her come back to reality.

“aa….ne!” Jinki answered.

“I didn’t even know you worked! We all thought you were a party guy going out with the ladies!”

“Of course he isn’t!” Daisy said a little too loud glaring at Jonghyun.

Jinki stared at her blinking his eyes. That was weird!

“I mean….” She blushed trying to think of something to say “Look at him! He is a weirdo! No one would go out with him!

“Oh! That makes sense!” Jinki nodded “I’ll take your orders when you are ready!” He bowed and left to serve another table.

Jonghyun noticed how Daisy followed him with her eyes. He never saw her look at someone from the male gender like she looks at Jinki.

Daisy could deny all she wanted but she was attracted to him, maybe even developing a crush on him.

Jonghyun called her name softly and she looked back at him.

“I have something really important to tell you! That’s why I brought you here!”

“Really?! Don’t tell me you got a girl pregnant! I told you so many times…”

“NO! Nothing like that. I don’t sleep around Daisy! I may have the reputation but I don’t do it!”

“I know Jong…” Daisy grabbed his hand. “I know the real you…like you know the real me! We are brothers!”

Daisy’s words were like sharp pieces of glass piercing Jonghyun’s heart.

 

 

Jinki served table 3 and glanced at table 5 where Jonghyun and Daisy were seated.

Jonghyun was a cool guy; they became friends on their first encounter.

Jinki was going to the library when he bumped into Jonghyun.

“Sorry!” Jonghyun apologized looking at the taller man.

“You are short!” Jinki bluntly said calculating his height difference with Jonghyun.

The other students gasped. They all knew how Jonghyun hated when someone called him short. He wasn’t that short after all. Maybe just a little compared with the other students.

Suddenly Jonghyun laughed and offered his hand for Jinki to shake.

“What’s your name? You have guts!”

Jinki didn’t have guts; he was just used to tell what he thought. When it’s true you shouldn’t be afraid to tell it.

 

That was also the reason he told Daisy that she must have another talents. She was cute, smart, and responsible, so why was she always so uncomfortable around others? She looked afraid most of the time.

Jinki saw Daisy grab Jonghyun’s hand. Whatever she was saying was positive to her and negative to him since Jonghyun looked painfully at her.

Jinki wasn’t the best at reading people but he had the feeling that Jonghyun liked Daisy. Maybe she liked him too?

“Lee Jinki!” the ajhumma called him and he rushed to go to her.

 

 

“You said you had something to tell me but you haven’t said anything yet!”

Daisy told Jonghyun while finishing her dinner.

“Well I…” He stuttered nervous moving his chopsticks in the air.

“Those girls are from our college. They only came here to look at the weirdo!” she said interrupting Jonghyun and looking at two girl on another table, clearly giggling because Jinki was talking with a little girl a few tables away. “Some girls don’t know how to behave properly…but sorry you were saying?”

“Daisy we are friends for a long time right?”

She looked puzzled back at her best friend.

“Of course Jonghyun, we used to play around in our diapers! “

“Yes…” Jonghyun was by her side all his life. “You are really important to me Daisy!”

Jonghyun stared at the girl in front of him but she wasn’t looking at him, her eyes were stuck on other man who was playing with a little girl on the other side of the room.

 “Look at them!  They are looking at his ...don’t they have shame?”

“Guess he is popular with girls after all. He always said girls find him too funny to date.”

Jonghyun commented placing his chopsticks on the table.

“Funny?” she chuckled out loud “He is so boring….”

“You don’t mean that!” Jonghyun exclaimed and he was right. Daisy was lying. She actual liked talking with him. He was smart and even though he made her feel uncomfortable with his questions, she liked to be around him. Daisy wouldn’t admit it though.

Daisy’s eyes moved back to Jonghyun.

“I’m sorry I got distracted again!”

“No, you are not distracted! I think that for the first time in your life you know exactly what you want Daisy!”

“What do you mean?” she was confused. What was he talking about?!

Jonghyun chuckled and hit her head lightly.

“Oh! Silly Daisy! I think you spent much time reading books that you forgot how to read your own heart!”

Jonghyun got up.

“I’m going to pay! You pay next time ok?!”

She nodded confused and Jonghyun left the table.

He liked her for so long but she never saw him as more than a friend.  He always suffered in silence seeing her so unhappy not having something in her life to make her smile besides a stupid grade on an exam.

“Are you finished?” Jinki asked going behind the counter.

“Yes!” If Lee Jinki was what she needed to be happy then Jonghyun would do anything to help her. Jinki wasn’t a bad guy anyway. He was friendly, responsible and caring. He would make Daisy happy or Jonghyun would break his legs.

“What’s wrong? Do I have anything in my face?” Jinki asked Jonghyun who was staring at him lost in his own thoughts.

“You are too cute…” He didn’t have a chance against him.

“Well you are too…but I’m not gay!”

Jonghyun chuckled.

“I’m not hitting on you! I like girls!”

Jinki smiled and Jonghyun glanced at his table where Daisy was still sitting, her eyes not leaving the boy behind the counter.

 

 

“Here!”  Daisy stretch out her arm to Jinki who looked at the paper in her hand grabbing it confused.

“That’s my address so you can visit me tomorrow to….help me!” she couldn’t say tutor or teach, it hurt her pride.

“You didn’t need to wait for me to get out of work!”

“It’s ok! I didn’t want to get you into trouble…” also she stayed outside after Jonghyun left watching him serve the clients. He was so polite and hardworking.  

“What time should I show up?” Jinki asked.

“Are you working tomorrow?”

He paused thinking while rubbing his head.

“I don’t think I am!”

“Good! 3 o’clock at my place! Don’t be late!” she warned him frowning and walked away.

“Hey Miss number one on the list!” He called smiling and Daisy turned around surprised.

“Do you want me to take you home? It’s late already!”

“No! Like I would want your company…” she said looking at him with coldness.

He nodded acknowledging what she said.

“I’m going then! See you tomorrow!”

Daisy stared at his back seeing Jinki walk away.

“Idiot! He should have insisted more…”

 

 

“Are you sure you are ok?” Jinki asked again rotating his pencil with his fingers while looking at Daisy’s pale face.

“I’m fine! Just correct my exercise quickly!”

She was still mean and bossy with him but Daisy looked like she had a fever.

She was mostly embarrassed because they were in her room studying. Once Jinki entered it the first thing he said was that her room looked like a grandma’s room. No cute things like in other girls room.

Actually she hid all her plushies and shoujo manga before he arrived. It was too embarrassing to show that side of her to him.

“I think we should stop now! We are doing this for three hours now and I’m hungry and you look sick!”

“You eat too much! I’m not hungry at all!” her stomach growl at that moment and Jinki burst out laughing falling backwards to the floor.

“It’s not funny!” she said over his laughing and he stopped looking up at her, his hair was all messy making him look like a naughty kid.

Daisy felt strange. It wasn’t the fever making her feel hot or her sickness making her heart throb. It was all his fault!

“I think we should finish this for today!” she said getting up and trying to hide her face from him.

Jinki  stole a glance at her crimson cheeks and the way she moved confused.

“You have a fever!”

“No I don’t!” she said stubbornly and walked to the door of her room to open it.

Jinki quickly got up and she stared at him astonished when he placed his hand on her forehead.

He stared at Daisy’s eyes for a few moments and she felt her legs get weak.

“You have a fever Daisy!”

The way he sweetly said her name make her weak and she lost her balance, her vision blurring.

Daisy lost her conscience for a few seconds until her body got slowly back to normal.

Dark brown eyes were staring at her when she got her vision back.  Jinki looked worried.

But why was his head so near hers. And why didn’t she feel her feet on the ground. She was on his arms and he was carrying her to her bed.

Jinki placed her gently on her bed and she only stared at him confused with all she was feeling.

 “You fainted! You need to see a doctor!” He said  concerned.

“Just go away! I’m fine!” She almost yelled avoiding his eyes.

Jinki looked at her one last time watching her sit up on her bed.

“I’m sorry…” he murmured. Jinki looked around him and grabbed his things but before he wrote his number on her notebook.

“Call me if you need anything!” He said looking at her one last time before putting his backpack on his back and leave her room.

Daisy groaned and lied on her bed. Her head was burning because her fever probably came back but her heart wasn’t aching because of her illness.

Daisy was so rude to him that she felt bad now.  She rolled on her side and closed her eyes but she still could see his enchanting eyes looking troubled at her while she was in his arms.

 

 

Daisy took her medicines and she felt a lot better when she woke up on Sunday.

The problem was that she felt bad at how she treated Jinki. Also she needed him to help her with her studies. Only one more day until the exam!

She stared at the numbers he wrote on her notebook and grabbed her phone to call him.

Daisy played with the page of her notebook while he didn’t pick up.

Yes?” Came a voice of a woman from the other side.

“ah…ah …Good morning! Can I talk with Lee Jinki please?”

Who is this?” the woman asked with a harsh tone.

“My name is Daisy…I’m studying with him!”

Oh” the woman’s voice changed “I’m sorry! I thought you were someone else. I’m going to call my son. He forgot his handphone…just a minute!

Daisy waited a little relieved. She was his mother….She didn’t know why she was relieved though.

Daisy? Are you ok?” his voice sounded worried.

“I’m fine! I called you because I’m sorry for how I behaved yesterday!” She was surprised with herself. She was actually telling how sorry she was without feeling uncomfortable with it.

Jinki giggled.

I know that you want me to keep tutoring you so no need to keep pretending that you like me!”

Daisy frowned. She was really sorry, she meant it.

“Can it be at my house today?”

She almost let the phone drop from her hand.

“Why?”

I….I need to stay home today. It’s not far from your house and I can take you home later.”

Lots of  thoughts crossed her mind. She was going to meet his mom, know where he lived and probably be on his room….

“Yes!” Daisy agreed excited and trying not to show it on her voice.

 

 

Daisy didn’t had a hard time finding Jinki’s house. He lived in a nice house with a small patio in front of it. His mom was the one who opened the door for her. She was a cute short woman with chubby cheeks like her son. Daisy liked her because she was really sweet to her. His mom accompanied her to Jinki’s room.

He was playing a game in his phone while sited on the floor.

Daisy’s spent a few seconds looking around her, inspecting his room. It was so different from what she imagined. Everything was really tidy and he had lots of books and 3D puzzles of dinosaurs on a shelf. Over his bed he had a poster with a penguin.

“Penguins are cute!” He said startling her.  “Sit down so we can start!” He grabbed a chair and pulled it near his secretary.

Daisy walked to the chair next to the one Jinki sat on and sat down by his side.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” he asked her making her awake up from her daze “we have a lot of things to do Miss number one on the list!”

 

 

“This was easier than I thought!” Daisy said putting her notebook inside her bag.

“I knew you would get it really fast since you are smart!” Jinki said turning his computer on.

Daisy was grateful that he wasn’t looking at her since his praise was making her blush.

She was confused. He was making her confused.

She should be angry with him and a few days ago all his praises and jokes made her feel angrier with him but now things were different. Daisy couldn’t stop admiring the way Jinki eyes smiled, how his fingers were cute when he played with his pen, how he used to bite his lips when he was thinking.

Jinki groaned frustrated and she stopped admiring him to observe what was happening.

“What’s wrong?”

“I have this IT assignment to make and I don’t understand a thing of webpages and things like that.”

“What do you have to do?” she approached him stopping by his side.

“A blog…”

“I can help you if you want!”

He stepped aside so she could sit on his chair.

Daisy was only doing that to repay him. It wasn’t like she liked him or anything. He was still her enemy.

 

 

“I admire you!” Jinki said looking ahead of him.

Daisy avoided looking at him and kept walking.

Jinki was accompanying her home because he insisted and was already dark. She complained a little saying how he was annoying but in reality she didn’t mind at all.

“Why?” The only person who said that to her was Jonghyun, once, when they were little and she could jump and catch the top of the slide and he couldn’t since he was always smaller than her. Things changed later when he started growing up and she stopped. Still he was a shorty…her shorty!

“You are really good with blogs and things like that! I knew I was right!” he smiled shaking his head.

“Right about what?”

“You have more talents besides studying!” He grabbed her bag taking it away from her hand.

“I can carry it for you!” She pulled it back and Jinki stared sadly at her.

“Why are you always so mean?!”

His cute expression was too powerful for her and she released the bag letting him carry it.

Jinki hop a little and walked in front of her.

“Why do you always act like a kid?” she asked him.

“I do? I don’t know! I’ve always been like this! That’s why you hate me?”

Jinki stopped in front of Daisy and she stared at him. He wasn’t acting cute now; he was serious, like he was when he was working at the restaurant.

“I don’t hate you!” Daisy said and she meant it. She really didn’t hate him even though she wanted to.

He blinked his eyes surprised with her answer.

“Thank you! If it weren’t for you I would fail tomorrow! Now I’m sure I will have 100% on that exam! You will have to work hard too so I can win fairly!” Daisy told him smiling and grabbed her bag from his hand.  “My house is just ahead! Thank you for accompanying me!”

Daisy walked to her home leaving Jinki behind.

He stared at her back waiting until she entered her house and turned back.

Jinki was happy. She didn’t hate him and she wasn’t sick anymore. Also she smiled like he never saw her smiling. Daisy could be pretty when she smiled. He wondered why she didn’t do that all the time, why she was always so serious!

He was going to tell her that he was going to miss the exam but her beautiful smile warmed his heart and he couldnt do it. Daisy was a special girl she just needed to learn how to have fun.

He was going to help her on that….her smile was too beautiful not be shared with others.

Jinki quickened his step; he still had his part-time job to go to.

 

 

Daisy finished updating her blog. For the first time in years she wasn’t studying before going to bed and wasn’t uploading something about college on her blog. She uploaded a cute image of a penguin. Jinki was right, penguins were cute and he was too. She giggled resting her head on her secretary.  

The way he looked at her when she said goodbye to him in front of her house was precious. Daisy couldn’t explain his expression with words; it was a mix of surprise with amusingness.

Lee Jinki was strange and so different from her but she felt a weird connection with him. It was strange since Daisy never believed that kind of things. That’s the kind of nonsense you read in romance books and stupid movies but now she was experiencing something similar.

Daisy closed her eyes and let herself fall asleep dreaming about the next day exam’s when she is finally going to win against him.

 

 

Finnaly the day of her victory! Daisy sat on her seat and took off her two favorite blue pens, the ones she always use in the day of the exams. She had only one class before Math and she was ready.

She looked at the door watching the other students enter and waiting for the Idiot Bunny to arrive, but the minutes were passing and no sign of the brown haired boy.

Daisy looked around the room. Maybe Jinki came in without her noticing and was talking with someone, but still no sign of him.

“Hey!” Sang Hee, her friend, stopped in front of her grinning. “I already heard the news!”

“What news?” Daisy asked not very interested still looking at the door.

“Donald is not coming to do the exam! He told one of the boys he had another important thing to do!”

“WHAT?” Daisy yelled rising up on her seat and making all look at her.

“That’s good! You will be number one and he is going to fail it!”

Daisy paled. She didn’t want him to fail on the exam; she wanted him to do it with her.

“No!” She grabbed her bag and her two pens tossing them inside it.

“What are you doing?” her friend asked confused.

“I’m not going to do that exam without him!”

“What are you talking about Daisy? You never skip an exam!”

“I’m not going to skip it! I’m going to go get that idiot!” Daisy answered leaving the room quickly and bumping into Jonghyun who was coming in to talk with her.

Daisy was going to miss a class but strangely that didn’t worry her because taking that exam with Lee Jinki was much more important!

 

 

Jinki grabbed the menus from behind the counter and walked to the table to serve the couple who just entered the restaurant when he saw Daisy abruptly enter the room, running to him and stopping in front of Jinki breathing hard.

Daisy looked like she has run a marathon, her face a crimson red and her hair all messed up.

She grabbed his arm and pulled him to the door until he regained his senses and stopped her.

“What are you doing here? You should be taking the exam!”

“I can say the same thing to you! I went to your house and your mother said you were here working! How can you be here when we have an exam to do?” She said offended.

“I really appreciate that you want me to do it but I can’t go. I’ll lose this job if I go with you!”

“Lee Jinki you idiot, I don’t think you understand! I want to do that exam with you!”

Jinki looked at her fierce eyes and felt guilty but there was nothing he could do.

“It’s only an exam Daisy…go back! Thank you!” he grabbed her hand caressing it slightly “Good luck!” Jinki turned away and she stomped her feet making him look to her again.

All the clients on the restaurant were looking at them and the ajhumma who hired him seemed angry.

Daisy groaned frustrated.

“I won’t go! I won’t do the exam if you don’t go with me!””

“Daisy…” Jinki didn’t know what to do.

“I won’t!” Daisy shook her head and crossed her arms leaning on the counter. “I won’t!”

She kept repeating it, probably trying to control the studying freak inside her and Jinki giggled. She was acting like an immature girl, so unlike her.

“Ok!” he said suddenly taking off his apron.

“Good!” Daisy said shaking her fist on the air, celebrating her victory.

“Let’s go! Its already time for the exam!” Jinki grabbed her hand and pulled her to the door.

“Lee Jinki you are fired!” The ajhumma yelled but they didn’t stop running.

 

 

They only had ten minutes left to do the exam so obviously they didn’t finished it on time but Daisy didn’t mind it at all. She got to do it with him and also Jinki hold her hand all the way to the classroom.

She saw him get up and give his exam paper to their teacher and she went after him.

“I’m sorry!” she mumbled making him look back at her. She still felt a little embarrassed thinking about how they hold hands for a long time.

“For what?” he asked.

“For making you lose your job since we probably both failed!”

“Funny how you don’t look worried Miss number one on the list!”

Daisy hated when he called her that but she didn’t answer him back.

“Are you sick or something? You always have an answer for everything!” he asked smiling but she knew it was all fake! He was worried. He probably needed that job.

“It’s ok! I can find another job!” Jinki said before leaving the room.

Daisy couldn’t stop feeling guilty since she was the reason he got fired.

 

 

“Are you really ok?” Jonghyun asked Daisy for the fifth time since he decided  to go home together with her.

“I’m fine! It’s only a list!”  She answered swinging her bag..

“You are different Daisy! A few weeks ago you would be crying and screaming with everyone and now you say it’s only a list.”

The exam results came out and she got 24% on it. She didn’t know about Jinki’s grade since they didn’t talk much the last week. He was still number one on the list and she was second so nothing much changed besides her average that was now 9, 12.

That wasn’t the thing that worried her more. Daisy missed talking with Jinki and his annoying questions or the way he always lied down by the bleachers next to her. She still ate her lunch there every day but he always disappeared after classes and she wondered if he was looking for a job to replace the one he lost because of her.

“You really are different!” Jonghyun repeated brooding .  He knew who was the reason behind her change.

“I do feel different!” Daisy mumbled playing with the zipper on her coat.

“But its good Daisy…it’s a good change!” Jonghyun meant it even though he wanted to be the motive and wasn’t. “I have tutoring today!” He said trying to change the subject of the conversation.

“Really?” Daisy asked smiling. Everyone knew how Jonghyun was terrible in school. He wanted to be a singer and was in college to fulfill his father wish.

“They hired a y tutor!” He said grinning.

A crazy thought ran through Daisy’s mind. Her parents would do anything to help Daisy finish the course with the best grade. They would hire a tutor if she failed an exam…and that just happened. She knew the perfect math tutor!

“I got to go Jjong!” She said fastening her step “Good luck!”

Daisy run to her house and took her shoes quickly entering the living room where her father was watching TV.

“Dad I need a math tutor! I just failed an exam….it’s so hard!” she complained pretending that she was actually a bad student.

He looked confused at her. She was always so smart…

“Really? My coworker’s daughter has one…”

“No dad! I know exactly who can help me! His name is Lee Jinki and he is the best at math also he can teach me at the library at school! ”

“Ah ok…then should I call him?”

“No…you just need to pay him! I can call him for you!” She beamed while she climbed the stairs to her room. Her plan was working. Daisy would be studying and by her side she will have Lee Jinki. He would get paid and she will be able to look at him all the time. She giggled and fell on her bed. She felt like one of those stupid heroines on shoujo manga but she didn’t regret anything. Daisy missed him so much…but it wasn’t a crush or anything. She just wanted to help him.

Now she just needed to call Jinki and tell him the news. She wondered how he would react?! Would he be happy and thank her or would he feel annoyed and reject it because he wouldn’t want to be beside a boring girl like her.  He said he wasn’t interesting on dating now….not that she wanted to date him or anything!

Daisy picked her cellphone and stared at Lee Jinki’s number for a few minutes remembering the way he would stretch like a cat every time he woke beside her on the bleachers and the wrinkles around his eyes every time he smiled…

Daisy touched the call button and waited for him to pick up. 

 

Hi! Im sorry! I've been so desmotivated lately....

Here is chapter 3! Im really tired so im afraid the chapter as some mistakes!

Have fun and please comment!

See you on chapter 5!