Lesson 1

Lessons of the Heart

Daisy dragged her feet on the hallway and turned the corner. Her friend Sang Hee came running to her and circled her shoulder with her arm.

“Hi number 1! How are you feeling today?”

Daisy just smiled moving her black hair away from her face. She was used to be called that. She was the number one in school for years and now on college things were exactly the same. No one could beat her, because she worked extra hard all days of her life to be the first!

You could say she was a nerd. She didn’t mind. It was a praise to her.

They arrived to the place where the list with the grade point averages was pinned. A bunch of student were there already.

Sang Hee went ahead of Daisy to check her place and she waited for her. No need to check anymore since Daisy was invincible. The others were too lazy to study for real and beat her.

“I can’t believe this! I got up to 13th place!”

She returned to Daisy’s side and high fived with her.

“Aren’t you going to see yours?”

“No! I’m number one! I know what I did on that exam!”

Daisy answered full of confidence. Her average was perfect, 9,94! No one could beat that!

Sang Hee ignored her and went to check anyway looking at the list curiously with her black eyes.

She gasped and went back to her friend.

“You won’t believe, but you got second place with 9,95!”

“Yeah right!”  Daisy chuckled. Her friend was always making jokes.

“No! I mean it!”

She pushed her aside and went to look at the list.

Daisy was really at second place.

Her eyes moved up to the first place. Lee Jinki with 9,96!

How?! That was impossible! Just for o,o1!

She knew him. She had a lot of classes with him. He was a transferee.  All girls found him cute and weirdly funny. All boys wanted to be his friend because he was funny and friendly. She only talked once with the light brown haired boy and she didn’t have a good impression of him.

 

Daisy walked into the empty classroom. She had an exam that day and she always arrived hours before the exams to review.

But that day ,regardless of being early in the morning, someone was already inside the room.

The new guy was already at his seat with a book open under his head that was resting on the table.

She cleared but the guy didn’t move so she approached him slowly and carefully, just to see his eyes closed and his mouth slightly opened.

He was sleeping!

He really was cute. He acted like a kid, he was a total mess being clumsy and most of the times when other students were studying he was sleeping at strange places. He didn’t have a favorite place to sleep. You could find him anywhere.

That angered Daisy. The way he didn’t seem serious about college! They weren’t there to play or sleep, they were there to study and be an engineer in the future.

She couldn’t deny one thing. He looked like an angel while sleeping. One time she saw some girls say that to him and he just smiled shyly at them. They used to say he was a cute tokki.

Suddenly he opened his eyes and quickly lift his head from the table looking with sleepy eyes and messed hair back at Daisy.

She stepped back a little surprised.

“What are you doing here so early?” he asked rubbing his eyes.

“I could ask you the same!”

“I came here to study, we have an exam today!”

“You should have studied yesterday!” Daisy said under her breath.

“I can’t! I only study on the day of the exam, that way I know everything and have good grades!”

He grinned at her blinking his dark brown eyes.

So irresponsible! She turned around and sat at her desk, unfortunately right in front of him.

He stared at her back thinking. He liked her and wanted to be her friend but she was always ignoring him. He was used to that. Normally girls would ignore him or find him cute like a kid. Rarely would they want to have a relationship with him, because he was too weird or awkward, and also he didn’t know how to approach girls.

With boys it was easier. He could make friends easily and just joke around.

But this girl she didn’t find him cute, handsome, annoying, nothing….she didn’t even look at him. She was basically like that with anyone. No friends, only that blond noisy girl that followed her everywhere. Besides that one she was alone. A loner…

He didn’t understand why.

Maybe she was better with grades than with people.

 

Grades! It was the only thing she was good at and that idiot who only studied on the day of the exam stole it from her!

NO WAY!

She turned around passing by Kyu Bok, her recent admire.

“Can I talk to you?” the well-built, tall boy with black hair and green eyes asked her.

She didn’t spare a moment to look at him. He was just another idiot trying to have some fun with her. That was the problem with boys. They only saw her like some kind of price they wanted to win. Since she was always single they made bets between them to see who would win her heart…and body. She wasn’t stupid. She knew their real intentions. They were far from love and romance.

“Can you just look at me once my Flower?!”

Daisy turned around placing a hand on his chest and pushing him with strength.

“Stop calling me that! I’m not yours! And I told you already: want to date me?! Pass me on that list!”

“Then…are you going to date Jinki?” he asked confused and she exhaled frustrated.

“NO! I’m gonna kill him!”

She said under her breath searching for the one who made her feel like that.

Lee Jinki ran a hand through his hair and rolled in his sleep almost falling from the step where he was resting. He sat up startled and grabbed his phone that was ringing on his pants pocket.

It was his mom and he knew what it meant.

 

Daisy saw him sitting on the step of the stairs that gave access to the rooftop.

“We need to talk!” She said looking down at him.

Slowly he looked up and she could see his eyes were red. He didn’t look great. He wasn’t smiling like he always used too. She never saw him like that.

So he also could have bad days too!  Good! He would understand her problem then!

“I just saw the list! How come you are number one? You can’t! You didn’t even study for real! How did you cheat?” she crossed her arms and moved her head negatively “I hate cheaters! You should be ashamed of it…”

“I don’t need to be ashamed!” he said with a weak voice. He was looking at her but not really seeing her. His mind was elsewhere.

“Oh! And you even don’t feel ashamed…great!”

He got up and she stepped back giving him room.

“I have to go!” he replied and she grabbed his arm.

“No way! You are going with me to the teachers office tell the truth!”

“I can’t! I have something to do now and there’s nothing to tell!”

“Excuses!”

He took her hand away from his arm.

“Do whatever you want. I don’t care if I’m first second or third…there are things much more important than an list with grades averages!”

She looked shocked at him and he stepped away from her. Suddenly he turned to her “And I didn’t cheat! “ He shrugged his shoulders “I did study for it…” he added turning away and disappearing down the hall.

She felt bad now. He implied that she only cared about grades? It was not true. It was the only things that she felt proud of…the only thing that could make her smile was her name next to the number one place.

Daisy walked into her class and the first thing she saw was Jinki. He looked happy today. He was imitating Donald duck making the girls giggle and the boys trying to imitate him without success.

Great…he was a duck now!

“He is Donald and you are Daisy!” Sang Hee said stopping at her side.

“What?”

“Aren’t you two dating?”

“Kyu Bok told everyone you would date the number one in the list so…I just thought…”

“You are totally wrong! And stop thinking!” Daisy said going to her desk.

Another girl was sitting on there and she got up quickly. Not because of fear or respect, but because they didn’t like her much and felt she was weird.

She sat ignoring the laughs of her colleagues and took her notebook and pen out ready to start taking notes.

Slowly the others started going back to their seats and she turned around. Jinki had is notebook opened in front of him and was drawing on it with a pencil.

However he didn’t know how to draw. She couldn’t understand what he was trying to represent on the paper.

Daisy touched her long hair moving it from her shoulder and gained courage to talk with him. She knew how to do the right thing when she was wrong too.

“Excuse me…”

He looked at her surprised. This was the first time she talked with him so nicely.

“Hi!” he answered smiling.

Her heart almost skipped a beat. His smile was powerful but how come he was so dead serious yesterday and now was back to being his happy and carefree self?!

“Yesterday I think I was a little….mean! I’m sorry but I think that it’s really hard to believe someone that does...” she paused and pointed at his drawings. He followed her finger and looked at it clueless. He was good at drawing! “…doodles in class and studies a few hours before an exam is capable of getting a 100% at it. Just saying…”

“I got 100%? Wow! And why don’t you greet people back? I said hi to you! ” he grinned at Daisy.

She bit her lip. He was so incredible frustrating.

“You really don’t care about your grades?”

“I didn’t say that. I do care. I want to finish the course…”

“But you don’t care if you are number one?”

“I just try to do my best everyday but sometimes you are not the best! Just keep trying!”

She frowned at him. Was he really telling her to keep trying?

Oh she was going to destroy him!

“I’m going to get that number one place back! I’m warning you Lee Jinki! This means war!”

He swallowed. She was acting really scary but at the same time she was funny.

“You are cute!”

Daisy blushed. That never happened before; guys didn’t have that power over her.

She turned around to the front avoiding his eyes. What was wrong with her?!

Jinki stared at her back his smile slowly disappearing. He had to find a solution to his problem soon…

Daisy grabbed a couple of books from the library and sat at the bleachers in front of the soccer field ready to drown herself on it. She was going to be the best again. She could do it. Studying was her life.

She was reading a page of a book in English and taking notes when she heard that familiar voice near her ear.

“Hey what are you doing?”

She stared back at a smiling Jinki that sat by her side quickly.

“Those notes are wrong!” He said pointing to her sheet.

“What? No it’s not!”

“Yes it is…you translated them wrongly!” he simply said like it was so obvious.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” she asked him annoyed, wishing that he went to sleep somewhere and leave her alone.

“I slept already! Did you have lunch yet?”

“Of course I had lunch! Its 4 pm…” she said hiding her notes from his eyes.

“I didn’t! I’m so so so hungry!”

“Go eat at the cafeteria…” Daisy closed her book annoyed.

“I can’t!“ He swung his legs like a little kid and yawned.

She was going to ask him why but then she realized she never saw him eat anything or at the cafeteria. Maybe he didn’t have money. She knew how that was, not being able to buy anything to eat and just have breakfast or dinner.

She opened her bag and took a small box filled with cookies her mother made.

She opened it and took one biting at it. She left the box open and waited for him to take the bait.

“WOW! Did you make this?” he asked surprised.

“No, my mom did!”

He nodded and looked away. She knew he wanted it but was too embarrassed to ask for one.

“Here!” she grabbed one and offered it to him.

He grabbed it and beamed at her.

“Daebak! Thank you so much!” He ate it so quickly that she gave the box to him.

He accepted it grateful and she waited looking at him eat all satisfied.

She forgot all about her books…

Daisy looked through her math notebook, but she couldn’t concentrate. Jinki was lying by her side his head near her legs. He wasn’t sleeping just looking at the sky.

“I think this world his magical!”

He suddenly said.

She sighed and was going to ignore him but her curiosity was greater than her annoyance for him. He was so strange, so hard to read…

“Why?”

“There are so many people under this same sky. I bet someone is doing the same thing that we are now at another country…or just enjoying the day we already used! Isn’t it magical?”

She didn’t answer him and tried to look at the numbers on the book on her lap.

“Why do you like to study so much?”

“I want to get smarter…”

“But you are smart!” He answered closing his eyes.

She stopped what she was doing, or should be doing, and admired his eyelashes. Damn he was handsome. His perfect jawline, cheeks and full lips…

She shook her head trying to focus. What was she doing?!

He suddenly sat by her side again.

“Why do you want to be number one?”

He asked curiously, his bright eyes following all her moves.

“I…I like it!”

“Why?”

“Because I feel I’m good at something…I’m good at this…”

“I see! So you don’t have any more talents!” he touched his nose.

She frowned at him. He was always offending her!

“Do you want me to kick your ?!”

She clenched her teeth making him laugh.

 “I’m joking. I bet you have other talents! You just don’t know them yet!”

She stared at the book on her lap. No one ever said that to her before. Since she was little her parents only cared about her grades nothing more.

Jinki got up and stretched his arms and all his body. She stared at him. He was hot!

“I think I’m going now!”

She almost asked him where. He always disappeared instead of studying with the others.

“Wait…” she said making him look down at her. “And you, what are your talents?”

“Oh!” he pouted and smirked “That’s a secret!”

Jinki went down the bleachers hoping like a tokki and she groaned.

He turned around to look at her and waved.

“Thanks for the cookies!” he yelled and a ball from the soccer field almost hit him.

 He didn’t stop smiling though before he turned running away.

She knew one of his talents already: annoying her…

 Jinki was worried. His “enemy” missed classes for 4 days. Something so rare for her!  She was probably dying!

He looked at the empty seat in front of him lost in his thoughts until someone sat on it.

“Oh you are back!” he exclaimed happy to see her. He actually missed her. She was cute on her strange scary way. Also she was nice to him when she wasn’t yelling.

Daisy didn’t answer putting her bag on her desk. She was sick with high fevers. She couldn’t even get out of bed alone. It messed her study schedule and  she missed classes too.

“We have an exam next Monday!” she heard the brown haired boy from behind her say.

“What???” she turned around to look at him.

“Math!”

“My life is ruined!” she mumbled and he chuckled.

“Your life is really simple then…I envy you!”

She gave him a dirty look. Like he had a hard life! Always smiling and sleeping, he probably didn’t have any worries.

On the end of the class, Daisy decided to talk with the teacher. She couldn’t do that exam. She wasn’t ready yet.

“I understand Daisy but I can’t delay an exam because one of my students was sick!”

“I know, but it’s going to mess my average. Please?”

“No. I can’t do that. Why don’t you ask someone to help you study for it?”

“No…I always study alone!”

“Well, sometimes we have to get out from our comfort zone to get even better in what we like to do…” The teacher looked behind her at Jinki that was grabbing his back pack. “Ask Jinki. He is brilliant. He will help you!”

The teacher grabbed his things and left a dumbfounded Daisy behind.

She would never ask him to help her! She was going to do it alone. She was going to start at lunch.

He was her enemy after all.

“Hey! I have lunch today and I brought two apples. Want to eat with me and share it?” Her enemy asked her.

She turned to him slowly with a deadly gaze.

“NO! Eat alone!” she left him in the room and he wondered what he did for her to hate him again.

Daisy groaned frustrated with books around her everywhere. She let her head fall on the table of the library.

She wouldn’t do it alone. She needed help and no one from her math class could help her because she didn’t know anyone besides Lee Jinki.

“Hey! “ Jonghyun, her friend since they were kids sat on front of her.  He recently dyed his hair silver making all girls in college go nuts about him.

They didn’t talk much but he was probably the only one that still talked with her when he wasn’t busy with his band rocking around the city.

“I knew I would find you here!” he only went to the library to talk with her. Studying wasn’t his thing, he was a singer.

“What do you want?”

“Is it true that you are dating Lee Jinki?”

“What? Just because he is the number one on that list it doesn’t mean I’m going to date him.”

“What list? I’m talking about you and him eating cookies by the bleachers all lovey dovey!”

She blushed. They weren’t acting lovey dovey…

“Nope! I despise him!”

“Why? He is awesome! We are friends now!”

“You too? “

“Date him! He is perfect for you. He will bring happiness to your life Daisy. You need that! I worry about you!”

“Don’t! I’m fine and I don’t need him…”

Jonghyun laughed and got up.

“Are you sure?” he said blinking an eye at her and leaving the library.

She sighed looking at all the learning material in front of her.

She wasn’t sure anymore.

Daisy spotted him right away eating his apple on the bleachers, at the same spot from the other day.

Did he like soccer?! He wasn’t looking at the field thought. He was playing with his phone.

She climbed the bleachers slowly and stopped near him.

He looked at her and pated the spot by his side and she sat down contrived.

He gave her the other apple.

“I knew you would come eventually!”

She nodded embarrassed biting the apple.

He giggled all happy and she noticed the way his Adam’s apple moved. His body was a woman’s temptation.

“What were you doing?” she asked pointing to his phone.

“Playing a game!” he answered and she wondered what she was doing there asking for his help.

She gathered her courage and suddenly told him what she wanted.

“I need you!”

He choked on his apple and he looked at her surprised.

“Do you like me?”

She blushed.

“NO! I mean I need you to tutor me...” she said under her breath.

“Oh! You scared me!”

Was that scary that she would like him?! She was hurt with his comment.

“I mean you are pretty and smart and super cute but I can’t date anyone right now!”

He stated seriously looking at her. “So I’m glad that it is just tutoring!”

“I only need this because I missed classes. No other reason since I’m capable of studying alone!”

“I know!” he nodded his head “you are smart. Miss number one on the list! I don’t usually study days before an exam. We have the weekend to study! This is so exciting!”

He grinned and grabbed his phone again.

She felt bad! He was totally mocking her!

He could have won the first battle but she was going to win the others that would follow…

I just made up my own college with my own grade system ok?! Cos im jabiless like that! XD

Hope you liked!

Comments are appreciated! They make me happy! 

Also Jinki likes them!