Three: Moonlight

Lost in Love

“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.” ― Plato

(song: link)

Jinki walked to the beach and let the water from the sea kiss his feet. He was embarrassed!

Once he woke up and opened his eyes he saw Lily looking at him and his brain froze. He forgot he wasn’t wearing his shirt and got up quickly.

The way her wide opened eyes were stuck on his chest made him realize his mistake. She quickly gave him his shirt and he just run away to the beach saying that he was going to check how things were. This would give her time to go to the “bathroom” too.

He ran a hand through his hair and closed his eyes thinking about his dream again. He was probably imagining things since he was a lot of time around Lily. There wasn’t anyone to talk with and his thoughts were filled with her. That was the solo reason behind his dream with her.

He heard a noise and he looked behind startled. A sleepy Lily came out from the jungle, walking slowly, although her leg looked better, Jinki couldn’t say the same about her cut.

“You should clean your cut with sea water!” he yelled to her over the sea noise.

“No! It hurts so much!” she pouted and he smiled at her cuteness. Since yesterday she was acting a little adorable, like a lost little girl. Her brave and mean façade was falling and behind it was a sweet girl.

“It hurts, but we don’t have a hospital near….I doubt the monkeys know what his a health system! This is really a Banana Republic!”

Lily laughed and did what he asked, sitting near the sea and cleaning her bruise with sea water.

Jinki walked into the sea and looked around him at the fish. There were a lot of different fishes swimming around his legs and they needed to find a way to catch them. They couldn’t live only with fruit. Jinki stole a glance at Lily watching how she flinched every time the water touched her leg.

“They will find us quickly! They are already searching for us by now!”

Onew assured coming back to the sand.

“No…they will be searching for you…They couldn’t care less about me!”

“Don’t say that!” He answered stopping by her side.

“It’s true and you know it! I’m a no one!”

“No…you are someone. And right now somebody is probably really worried with you…so don’t ever say you are no one. That’s disrespectable to the people who love you!”

She looked away but not quick enough and Jinki saw a tear escape her eyes.

He wanted to do something to make her feel better but he didn’t have any good idea.

Keeping busy was the best thing to do!

“Let’s catch some fish and make a SOS sign, and later we can explore a little of the island too.”

She nodded and he offered her his hand to help her get up.

 

 

He was handsome, had a nice body, was smart, responsible and so gentle. Lily couldn’t find a flaw in Lee Jinki.

Maybe he wasn’t a good singer…she never heard him sing. Maybe that was his flaw.

She helped him all morning placing rocks in a v formation towards the sea so they could catch some fish. In the meanwhile she tried to forget how good he looked without his shirt, that morning, when she woke up. He was so embarrassed because she was staring at his chest, and when his ears got red she found him so cute.  She didn’t mean too, she wasn’t a ert, but she couldn’t help it when he was just in front of her eyes. Jinki had a nice body just like she imagined at the ship, on the day she met him for the first time.

“Done!” He exclaimed when everything was ready. “The fish will get stuck here and we will have fish to eat tonight!” he happily said and both walked to the beach.

“Are you hungry?” Lily asked him when he lied down in the sand tired.

“A little! Can you bring me chicken please?” He sked with his eyes closed because of the sun, a gentle smile in his lips.

“We don’t have chicken but we have bananas and bananas and maybe bananas…”

He giggled and opened his eyes staring at her.

She was pretty when she smiled and her hair looked so soft that he wanted to touch it.

“Bring me bananas then, please!”

Lily nodded and walked back to the jungle and a few minutes after came back carrying a bunch of pale yellow bananas.

“I’m just so grateful I love bananas!” Jinki said opening one and giving a huge bite on it.

“I’m really sorry for how I am behaving!” Lily said with a tiny voice and he looked at her while he munched on his lunch.

“I should be helping you and try to be positive but the only thing I do is complain!”

“It’s ok….It’s a normal reaction when you are stranded in an island!”

“But you are not acting like that. You are always so motivated and making jokes; always busy thinking about what to do to make our life in this island better.”

“That’s my way of not thinking about our present situation…”

“So you are worried …”

“Of course! But we can’t give up and we must keep doing everything so we can survive until someone finds us!”  He grabbed another banana.

“You make me think about my dad…”

“Why? Was he stranded in an island too?”

“No!” She chuckled “He always tries to see good things in the worst moments and always keep fighting! I hope to follow his steps…”

The way she talked about him looked like he wasn’t in this world anymore.

“Is he…?” Jinki asked carefully.

“No, he is still alive, but he’s always sick so my mom and I have to work to pay the hospital bills and pay the household expenses.”

“I see…” He giggled and she looked at him surprised “Now I see why you hate me so much! You probably think I’m lucky for having money and that my life is easy…”

“No, no way!” she denied shaking her arms vigorously. “I just thought you were like the rich people in that ship!”

“I’m not…I worked a lot to be where I am now!”

“You stared in dramas too...I guess it must be hard work too!”

Time went by quickly while he told her how he decided to sing and become an idol. She listened to him explain how his debut days were and how great it is to climb into a stage and feel the love of the fans. He was so serious talking about it and she realized he wasn’t just the cute man, always smiling, that she met for the first time on the ship, he was also a very responsible, hard worker person.

They walked together inside the jungle searching for rocks to bring to the beach to build the signal.

While they were making an X they talked about different things, their families, their jobs, their hobbies, forgetting that they were stranding in the island.

The task was actually easier since they were having fun and getting closer.

Lily really felt he wasn’t a stranger anymore. He still had a mysterious aura around him but she find out how he was actually a nice young man.

Jinki enjoyed their time together too. She actually was a little weird like him and tried to make some silly jokes to lighten the mood.

They finished the sign and stopped admiring their work. The sun was already up in the sky and it was probably the middle of afternoon.

“It’s too plain!” He exclaimed breathing deeply.

“You don’t think the rescue team will see it?”

Jinki nodded and stared at the sky and around the island. They could see a hill in the middle. Maybe they could climb it and make a sign there too.

“Maybe if we add some color to it! Plants?” she suggested.

“That’s a great idea!” He praised her and she almost melt. It was just a casual praise and it didn’t mean anything special to him, but to her was something valuable.

“We should explore more of the island! We can climb that hill and see if we can do a sign there too.”

She followed him inside the jungle and they walked in the middle of it trying to follow the same direction so they wouldn’t get lost.

Since the vegetation was too dense, Jinki helped her walk in the middle of it. The hot, humid weather and the plants brushing on her leg made her cut hurt but she tried to hide it from him.

They started to climb the hill when Lily saw a couple of plants with red leaves.

“We can use that!” She said pointing to it..

“We can collect them when we get down from the hill!”

Jinki suggested before they started climbing again.

The view from up the hill was wonderful and now they could be certain that the island was really small.

Lily looked into the horizon all around the island. She never saw something as beautiful and frightening like that. Wherever she looked she only saw blue water. No land or ships in sight. They were really lost…

He noticed her disappointed smile and worried to grab some rocks starting to build the sign. If they were busy they wouldn’t think much about their current situation.

She helped Jinki without saying anything and they worked diligently for probably an hour.

When they finished it Jinki sat on the floor and looked at the sea in front of him.

“They will find us…don’t worry!”

She sat by his side and hugged her knees with her arms. He steal a glance at her. The sun was brightly shining behind her, her hair gently waving with the wind and she looked beautiful.

A strange warming feeling took over of his body and for a few seconds he felt the same he felt on his dreams.

Lily looked back at him and he looked away embarrassed before lying down closing his eyes.

His body was tired since they didn’t stop since morning. His head was probably confused and tired too.

He should stop thinking about his dreams.

 

 

Onew opened his eyes and he was sitting inside a boat. There was no one around him but he could see the boat advancing over the water on his way home.

He was saved! His heart filled with happiness and relief. He couldn’t wait to go back home and see s and hug his mom and dad. There wasn’t anything else he wanted as much as to see them again.

Then he thought about Lily. He got up and looked around  for her.

She was up in the deck, her back facing him and he walked towards her smiling. She was safe too and he couldn’t be happier. He felt an urge to go to her and hug her, he couldn’t explain it but he knew that was the right thing to do at that moment.

“Lily…” he called her name gently and she turned around.

But instead of Lily he saw Young-hee smiling back at him.

“Oh you mean the girl who was in the Island with you? The poor thing….She really fought for her life...”

What did she mean?! Did she mean she was dead? He panicked. No! She couldn’t be dead!

Onew woke up startled and sat up. He was still in the Island and the sun was almost setting. Lily was sleeping by his side. Laying down on her side, facing him, her hands together and looking peacefully.

He breathed out relieved. He was glad it was a dream. Even if Jinki could get out of that island he would never leave it if she didn’t go with him.

It was his duty to protect and save her. Maybe destiny wanted him to do that. Maybe she was the one who should be saved and not him.

He stared at her for minutes admiring her sleeping face and the view in front of him.

Everything was so peaceful. Jinki loved nature and for a long time he wished he would be able to go on a vacation and not look at human beings for a few days. He never imagined his wish would come true.

He sighed and looked at the horizon and then he gasped.

“A ship! Wake up Lily!” He yelled and got up jumping and yelling, his arms stretched and waving.

Lily woke up startled and took some time to understand what was happening.

Once she did she also helped him.

They screamed like crazy, jumping and waving their hands with might but soon their energy started to fade.

They saw the ship disappearing from their sight and the silence returned when they gave up screaming.

“They didn’t hear or see us….” Lily complained.

“No they didn’t…” he answered with a sad weak voice. “We should get back…its getting dark!”

They climbed down the hill together, but this time in silence. Their smiles, and hope from before disappeared.

Still Jinki cut some leaves with his pocket knife and Lily helped him carry them.

They walked to the beach and placed the leaves over the rocks in a way to make the signal more visible.

Jinki did it mechanically. He wasn’t sure the signal was going to be seen but he didn’t say anything. She was already feeling down and depressed and he didn’t want to make things worse.

Lily wasn’t an idiot. She stole glances at him and he wasn’t smiling like before. He was also losing his motivation.

“I think I know a way to get out of here!” She said hesitantly trying to make something to see him smile again.

He looked at her confused.

“We will grab all bananas on the island, build a boat and then make the monkeys help us…they will have to since they won’t have any food here…”

“Banana trees will have more bananas eventually!” he said smirking. He knew what she was doing. She was trying to cheer him up.

“We can cut them all!”

“Or we can make you learn to swim and swim all the way to land…”

She frowned with the idea and he giggled.

“I almost drowned once thanks!”

“But I’m a good instructor….and the only one you have!”

The way he said that made her all warm inside. She only had him…it was so true!

“We talk so much about monkeys and the little bastards never showed up!”

Jinki said cleaning his hands on his shorts.

“I bet they are watching and making fun of us!” She looked to the trees and Jinki walked to the fish trap they made in the morning.

“Yeah! Fish!” He yelled clapping his hands happy.

He took off his pocket knife and started to sharpen a stick so he could catch the fish with it.

“Do you want me to help you?”

She asked worried since it was almost dark.

“It’s ok. Go back to our home and start getting some wood for us to make a fire.”

“Ok…” she nodded uncertain and walked a little away from him. Lily was scared to leave him alone and also scared to go back alone. What if something happened to him and she end up all alone?

Jinki looked back at her and saw how she looked tense.

“Are you afraid of the spy monkeys?” he asked with a serious face.

“A little…” she answered back.

“Just yell if one tries to approach you…I’ll go running with a banana!”

“I feel safer now!” she mumbled while he laughed.

She went back to their “home” and did what he told her sitting on their improvised bed.

Lily waited for him nervously biting her lips. It was scary being alone. The noise of the trees and weird animals was scaring her. Also it was already getting dark.

She heard a noise and almost jumped when he appeared by her side.

“Calm down! It’s only me! Do you really believe a monkey was going to show up?”

She didn’t answer and he bent down near the pile of sticks she collected,  so he could start a fire.

“Wow! They are big!” she said happily looking at three fishes he caught. “Can you start a fire?”

“I read about it once. Can’t be that hard right?!” He answered grabbing the sticks.

 

 

 After what looked like ages Jinki built a fire and both were eating their fish after cooking it in it. It wasn’t the best thing they ate but after being a few days without eating anything it was like a feast of the Gods.

At least their stomachs would be filled with food even though their hearts were almost empty of hope.

“Thank you!” She said eating the last piece of her fish.

He looked at her grabbing the third fish.

“Why?” he frowned.

“For the fish and everything! If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here; and I’m not talking about the fact that it was your idea to enter the boat, I’m talking about you saving me. “

He was her hero! She always said men were useless and she didn’t need anyone, but actually he was reliable and without him she would be dead by now.

“Well I would be already crazy if you weren’t here with me. I think I would be talking with the trees and writing songs about the color of the sea…”

She chuckled and he picked up a little of the fish on his hand and offered it to her, gesturing her to open .

Lily blushed but did what he told her, letting him feed her.

She was boiling with his actions but he didn’t seem to notice anything. To him she was probably just a girl he saved, nothing more. Jinki probably didn’t even see her as a woman.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. She looked sad and her cheeks were red.

“Nothing…”

“Do you have a fever?” he asked worried, too worried.

“No! I’m feeling fine! Just tired I think!”

She got up and sat on their improvised bed ready to go to sleep.

“Does your cut hurt?” He asked still looking at her.

“No…I’m fine!” Lily lied. Her cut was hurting all day, but she was tired of being  a nonsense. She lied down and closed her eyes.

Sleeping would clear her head and on the next morning she would be back to being herself again, and stopping thinking about Lee Jinki.

 

 

He was back at the boat this time, but it was a small rescue boat and in front of him was Lily. The sun was setting behind her, just like during the day on the hill and she was shining just for him.

Lily looked like an angel sent from the heavens and he was afraid that if he said anything she would disappear.

“This is a dream…” she said, her voice coming out from her lips slowly and gently.

He couldn’t stop staring at the way her lips moved. It was almost magical.

“I know…” He saw him answer even though he wasn’t controlling his body.

“This will be the last time we see each other! So cherish it!” She warned him and even though her lips moved and it was her voice he felt that in reality it was someone else saying it.

Jinki opened his mouth to talk but stopped when he saw tears roll down her face.

“What’s wrong? Don’t cry!”

“Wake up!” she said and Lee Jinki opened his eyes.

He only saw darkness in front of him. He was still at the jungle, and they fire as probably died by now. 

Jinki heard a muffled cry on his back and he rolled over and sat up just to see Lily hide below one of the banana trees leaves.

“What’s wrong?” he asked confused, still a little lost because of his dream.

“Just go back to sleep.” she answered with a stifled voice and he knew she was crying.

“No!” He took the leaf from above her and she hid her face with her hands. “Don’t hide! Tell me!”

“No! I’m always ruining everything and crying…no…”

He lied by her side and grabbed one of her hands.

They were now, lying down and facing each other, their hands intertwined and she couldn’t stop looking at him behind her tears. He was so handsome!

He kissed her hand and she blushed.

“It’s ok to feel lost…cos we are lost!” he said smiling gently and she couldn’t help but smile back. How could he be so gentle and caring?!

“You are too good to me…”

“We only have each other….and you are not that bad too!”

“Thanks I think!” she said gruffly and he laughed.

They stayed a few minutes like that and Lily tried to think of anything to say.

“Can you sing something for me? I never heard you sing…”

“Of course…” He frowned in deep thought thinking what he could sing “Ill sing you Moonlight…since we are under it!”

He was quiet for a few seconds and then started singing.

Lily closed her eyes listening to his enchanting voice and strangely her tears stopped.

She was so wrong about him since the first day she met him.

He wasn’t a spoiled rich man hitting on girls. He wasn’t a dumb idol that didn’t know to do a thing. He wasn’t going to abandon her and he was helpful and hardworking. Also he was a great singer.

He was so much like her father…so much like the man she ever dreamed for her.

Her secret wish since she as little. A prince that would come and save her for her loneliness, someone who would take care of her for a change, someone who could make her laugh and would hold her hand when she felt like crying.

He stopped singing and she opened her eyes.

“So? What do you think?”

“It’s wonderful…you are really talented!”

“Thank you! My mom always said I should share it with the world. It’s not something that saves a life but I think it can make a different to a person’s existence. It made you stop crying…”

“Yes! That’s truly a gift! It’s special!”  Lily blinked her wet eyes thinking how lucky she was to be there with him.

“If you want I can sing another one!”

“Which one?”

“Hm….Runaway? Maybe we can get inspired and runway from here!”

She smiled back at him and he stared at her confused.

“I’m trying to remember the lyrics…” He explained.

While Jinki frowned his eyebrows, rolling his eyes confused she was not confused at all.

Actually Lily was never as certain of something as she was right now. She found her prince. He might not like her back but that doesn’t matter when you fall in love. Just being near him admiring how perfect his nose is, how his smile shines more than the sun, and how his hands are warm and soft is enough. You just follow your heart even though he may be wrong and give you a lot of sorrow in the end.

Even though Lily only knew Jinki for three days she felt she knew him for years. She may not know his favorite color or food but she knew how much her heart and body felt drawn to him.

She was in love with Lee Jinki, and she was certain that love would break her heart eventually.  

 

So here it another chapter. Im sorry that it is so small and boring. 

Things will get better next chapter....I hope!

And I think this fic will only have five more chapters! 

Comment, etc...