The Director

We Have Been Brave
The next day, Hongbin headed straight for the director’s office, as Leo settled in class.
Nervous. People were pointing and smiling at him.
He wasn’t used to this.

And his source of strength was missing.
He couldn’t wish for Hongbin to return faster than at this moment.

“You must be Hongbin.” The director said as soon as Hongbin walked in the door.
“Yes I actually am! And I have something to say about forbidding Leo and I to go to the party!” Hongbin replied with determination.

The man on the other side of the desk laughed.
“You think I was forbidding Leo and you to the party?

Silly boy. I wasn't forbidding you to go to that party... I was forbidding you from seeing each other.”  This caught Hongbin slightly off guard.

“Well, I still have something to say about it! What gives you the right to-“

the director raised his hand interrupting Hongbin’s rant.
“Look, I think it’s cute that you have something to say about it, but look here, Leo is our star football player and you?

 What are you?

An average student with no big accomplishments?

You are not as valuable to us.

So take your opinion and stay away from Leo!
I will not have some baby faced student ruin the career of one of the school stars, you hear me?!”
The older man had stood up and walked around his desk, standing very close to Hongbin, threateningly.


Hongbin glared back.

“You cannot stop us! We love each other-“
“Love each other? Ha, that I don’t laugh! If you loved him you’d know that his career is his all!

But seeing as you are a bit stubborn on this…

you leave me no other choice.”
Without hesitating the director grabbed the books on his table and flung them at the seat he had just sat on.

“Ah stop it! Help Help! Somebody!” Hongbin didn’t know what was happening at the director went to his seat and threw it over, making a loud thud and then flinging himself behind the desk.
What was going on?!
“Sir, what is it?!” the secretary burst into the room. She froze. There was a student and then there was the director, cowering behind his desk. There had been books thrown at him. And the chair had fallen over.
“It’s him! He attacked me! He is dangerous! I want him expelled!” the director cried and the poor lady, not knowing better,turned grave and nodded..
In all of this Hongbin, didn’t know what to do, he hadn’t fully understood the situation at first but now it was very very clear.
What should he do?

“Sir, for now we can only suspend him. Expulsion only happens after two cases of violence and this seems to be the first one for him!” The secretary had reappeared with the school rulebook in her hand.
“Hongbin, you are suspended until further notice! Leave immediately or we shall call the police!”

The director stood up and stared at the student dead in the eyes, “You are not to set a foot in this school until, and we think you’ve had time to cool off!”
Hongbin was shocked.

Wasn’t this what happened in bad movies?
But what had just happened?
Suspended?
Leo! He had to tell Leo!

“Don’t even think of getting your stuff, you are to leave right now or we shall call the police sooner!” the director added and pointed at his door.

“Ms Bom, you are to him out and call the police if there is any trouble!”
The secretary nodded and gestured for Hongbin to follow her.
They marched in silence.

Hongbin being unable to do anything else.

Still dazed from the events that had just happened.
“Hongbin, was it? I’ve read your files… how could you do that?” Ms Bom spoke up as they reached the main doors, “Your files say only positive things about you! Why do you boys have to go bad? Look at me!”

They had reached the door, Ms Bom had to take the teenager by his shoulders and turn him towards her to get him to look at her.

“Keep your head up, okay, dear? Keep out of trouble and you’ll be back in no time!” Hongbin could only nod emotionlessly.
What was happening?
With Ms Bom holding the door open, he walked outside.

He took a few steps forward and then turned to look back at the school. The bell started to ring, signaling the first hour beginning.
What was he doing?
He needed to tell Leo!

As he took a step toward the door again, he saw through the glass Ms Bom shake her head violently holding her cell phone in her hands.

Leo! He’ll catch him after school! He has to tell him what happened!