♡ Ch. 7

Save You

“The only time you skip class is when Junhyung is, well you know, but since Junhyung is on his trip I’m guessing something else is bothering you” Min leaned on the metal fence and looked down at the school field. “Min?” Kevin went to stand next to her. “Do you think my relationship with Junhyung is healthy?” She asked, thinking back to what Kikwang said to her earlier that morning. Kevin sighed; he and Doojoon were the only ones who really knew about Junhyung’s depression. Kevin had been a friend of both Min and Junhyung since they were kids, but since he was the same age as Min and was always in her classes, he had always been closer to her. After Junhyung’s incident he immediately took notice of Min’s change of character. Sure she toned down her energetic self when she took on the role of President, feeling like she had to take it seriously. Yet there were times when her animated self came out and Kevin was glad she hadn’t given up her true personality to make Junhyung look good or to silence the comments of Junhyung being too sophisticated for Min. Now though, it was rare to see Min with a full smile on her face and it was truly starting to worry him.

“I think that maybe you don’t love him anymore” Kevin said carefully. Min closed her eyes and leaned her forehead on the fence. “I do”, She whispered. Kevin frowned, “But not like you did when you first got together? Admit it, Min. You don’t love him like that anymore” Min nibbled on her bottom lip and then placed her hands on the fence. “Kevin, I can’t leave him. Not yet. Not until I’m sure he’s okay” Her voice cracked and she quickly covered with her hand. Kevin put an arm around her shoulders. He hated that she was put in that situation, but there wasn’t much he could say anymore. He had already warned her that she could be putting her own mental state in danger with all of the stress she was taking on, but Min’s loyalty to the people she loved could be both positive and negative. Then again, he was sure that if Min was in the same situation as Junhyung, having someone always there could make a big difference. “He’ll be okay soon, Min. You have to keep believing that” Kevin said, trying to reassure her. “I just want him to be happy again” Kevin leaned his head on hers. “We all do, Min" 

For both of your sakes.

-

“Where are Kevin and Min?” Dongwoon asked as he set down his food tray on the cafeteria table. Yoseob shrugged, “No clue. They weren’t in class and they haven’t answered my texts” “Did they even come to school?” Yoseob shrugged again. Dongwoon took out his phone and tried to call them, but there neither answered. As Yoseob and Dongwoon talked about where they could possibly be, Kikwang simply sat there quietly and didn’t offer anything to the conversation. He was deep in thought, worrying that his comments had affected her in a bad way.

The rest of the school day went by and Kikwang didn’t see Min or Kevin anywhere; he even waited by his locker longer than usual until Dongwoon called him to say that he was in the parking lot waiting for him. Once he stepped out of the building, he was about to send another text, but he stopped walking when he spotted Min putting up a large poster on one of the auditorium doors. Kikwang took a deep breath and walked over to her. “Hey” Min turned around and to Kikwang’s surprise she greeted him with a smile. “Hey. Perfect timing. Can you hold this?” Min asked, motioning to the poster. Kikwang eyed her and nodded, then held up the poster as she taped it to the door. “Okay” They both stepped back as Kikwang read it.

“Halloween Beach Party? Huh. That’s a first” “What? Never been to a Halloween Beach Party before?” Kikwang shook his head. “I have not. I never even knew people planned Halloween Beach parties” “The beach is right there, Kikwang. Most, if not all, events in this school happen on the beach. Anyway, I will see you there right?” Kikwang looked at Min, who looked completely different than the morose girl from this morning, in fact, she looked a lot chipper than usual. “Are you okay?” “Of course. I need to finish putting these up then I have to meet up with Kevin to make some calls for the event. I’ll see you later”

Kikwang watched her walk away, both confused and concerned about her sudden change, but whatever she decided to do wasn’t his business was it? He only hope she trusted him enough to tell her what was going on, because something was definitely going on.  Kikwang blinked in surprise when Min appeared in front of him. “Thank you”, She said in a low, almost sad, voice. Then to his surprise, she got on her tippy toes and pecked his cheek, her lips lingering there for a bit before she stepped back, waved and walked away. Kikwang touched his cheek and stared at the back of her head, concern evident in his eyes. 

-

“Did you all join a cult without telling me?” Kikwang asked cautiously when he saw Yoseob, Dongwoon, Min and Kevin standing around Min’s locker with cat ears on their heads. “It’s Halloween season and this is the only thing the school administration allows us to wear during school hours since they’re all dead inside”, Min said with clear disappointment in her voice. “I see” Min got on her tippy toes, making Kikwang tense up, thinking she was going to kiss his cheek again, but instead put the cat ears on him. “Now we all look adorable!” She grinned, clapping her hands together. Kikwang raised an eyebrow, from the 5 months he knew her, he had never seen her smile so wide.

“I take it you like Halloween?” “Like it? The girl is obsessed!” Dongwoon said, scratching his head under the headband. “Halloween isn’t officially until next week, but Min always celebrates early” Kevin said, not surprised by Min’s sudden rush of energy. He couldn’t help feel happy that she was acting like the energetic Min he grew up with. 

“Okay, here’s the plan. I have different headbands for all the days leading up to Halloween and I want you all to come over every night until then to watch a scary movie. I promise to help with homework and not complain about how slow you are,” She said, as everyone looked at Yoseob and Dongwoon. They were both smart kids, the problem was that they were both lazy with their work and took forever to finish it. “Then a scary story before you all lea-” She stopped mid-sentence and Kikwang noticed her excitement simmer down. Her friends followed her gaze and saw Junhyung and Doojoon walking down the hall towards them. Doojoon was also wearing yellow cat ears, but Junhyung wasn’t.

“I’ll text you the rest later” She said, then smiled up at them, “I just remembered I need to ask my teacher something” She turned around and walked away. “No fair, I asked Min for the blue ones” Doojoon complained, looking at Yoseob’s ears. Yoseob grinned, “I helped her with her science project, so she owed me a favor” Doojoon raised an eyebrow, “And you used it to get blue cat ears?” Yoseob shrugged, “More like the blue headbands for the rest of the week!” Doojoon mouth dropped, “Unfair!”

“You didn’t get a pair?” Kikwang asked Junhyung. Junhyung looked away from Doojoon and Yoseob. “The Principal said it wouldn’t look professional on me” “Min is a President too and she wears them” “True, but Min has always been very bright and childish”, Junhyung said, checking his phone after receiving a text. Kevin frowned at his comment, “Energetic and childish are two completely different things” “I’m aware of the difference” “Min made these personally and you know how much she loves Halloween, you should be wearing them” “They’re just silly accessories, Kevin” Kevin sighed and picked up his backpack. “Will it kill you to do something for her for once?” Kevin said, clearly upset. After an awkward silence, Kevin sighed and decided to catch up to Min.  

Everyone stood still, not knowing what to say or not really understanding what was going on. “Excuse me” Junhyung mumbled, walking through Yoseob and Dongwoon. “They’re not doing very well are they?” Yoseob dared to ask after Junhyung disappeared down the hall. “Who? Kevin and Junhyung?” Yoseob shook his head, “No. Min and Junhyung” Doojoon sighed, “Yeah, it’s obvious huh? I’ll see you guys later. I’m going to try and see if I can stop an argument from happening”

-

“Hold up, Kevin” Junhyung called out, seeing Kevin take a left. He wanted to talk to him about Min. During the trip he couldn’t help think about her and wonder if there was something other than their relationship upsetting her. Although he was a workaholic, he truly did care about Min and loved her dearly. “Kevin…” Junhyung stopped walking when he saw Kevin had reached Min at the soda machines. Kevin looked over his shoulder, an annoyed look on his face. “What?” Junhyung shook his head and looked at Min. Min glanced at him and pushed one of the buttons. “Are you really mad at me about those ears-”

“Don’t worry about the ears, Junhyung. They’re just stupid and childish ears after all. I’ll see you tonight. We’re watching the Exorcist and you’re coming, got it?” Min cut him off. She then grabbedh her soda and  turned to look at him with a smile on her face. Junhyung blinked. He was surprised that the conversation didn’t lead to an argument. They had been arguing about everything lately, but Min looked completely unaffected by his decision to not wear the accessory. He was expecting her to tell him that they were just ears and that it would add charm to his appearance or something along those lines, but she completely brushed it aside.

“I’ll see you later, okay?” Min walked over to him and pecked his lips before walking past him. Kevin watched her with purturbed eyes. He knew what she was doing, but he couldn’t very well say that he approved of it. He was truly scared that the decision she took to help Junhyung any way possible was going to affect her emotional state. Just how much pain could she keep in? He was going to see that forced smile for a while now and he hated it, but she was so determined and when Min got determined, there was nothing anyone could do to change her mind. Especially when it involved someone she cared very deeply about.

Doojoon stopped her, “You okay?” He asked. Min nodded and gave him a reassuring smile. “I’m great. I need to head to class early though. See you later” She said continuing on her way. Doojoon raised an eyebrow and walked over to where Kevin and Junhyung were watching her.

Kevin’s eyes shifted to the ground. Min was going to pretend Junhyung’s actions and words aren’t going to hurt her only to ease his worries. His damn worries. Kevin was angry, but he couldn’t just blame Junhyung for everything.

Junhyung faced Kevin, “What was that all about?” Kevin shrugged, “I don’t know. Maybe she’s just got tired of fighting all the time. Aren’t you tired of it too?” Junhyung gave Kevin a confused look. Kevin sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Min is going to make an effort not to argue anymore. Can I at least ask you to do the same or try to do the same? Please.” Junhyung swallowed and nodded. “Of course. Yeah. Believe it or not, I really want to fix our relationship” “Okay. Good” Kevin didn’t know what else to say. He knew that Min’s emotions for Junhyung were different, but he wasn’t exactly sure about Junhyung’s feelings for Min. He didn’t want to make things worse so instead he waved and headed to class. Junhyung rubbed his eyes and took off on the opposite direction with Doojoon behind him.

Kevin turned the corner and stopped when he saw Kikwang leaning on the wall. “Kikwang?” “Min is going to pretend that everything’s fine? That Junhyung isn’t hurting her?” Kevin exhaled, “You heard everything” “I know everything. I also know that their relationship is broken and that no matter how hard Min tries to fix it, it won’t end well if all she does is give and all Junhyung does is take” “I agree, but Min isn’t going to listen to that. She’s going to listen to her heart and right now Min’s heart cares for Junhyung’s well being. Junhyung saved her once and Min hopes to do the same now” “By sacrificing her happiness?” “I don’t like this Kikwang. Truthfully, not even breaking up would fix this problem, but there is no way Min will give up on Junhyung until she’s sure he’s going to be okay. She may not love him like she used to, but she still cares for him and he’s still her best friend. Min has always been a faithful friend and that’s both a strength and a weakness” Kikwang leaned his head back and looked at the ceiling. “Then I suppose the only thing we can do is be there for her” “That’s what I’m planning on doing. That is, until I figure what else to do. Junhyung is my friend too and I don’t want him to, well, I don’t want a repeat of what happened to him” Kikwang nodded, understanding him. “I get it. The only way to save Min is to save Junhyung” Kevin frowned, “You think it can be done?” Kikwang looked at Kevin with determined eyes “I don’t know, but we sure as hell can try”

-

Min continued with her act throughout that week. Kikwang went to all of the movie nights she hosted and he knew that having her classmates and friends around helped her keep that smile on. He also took noticed that Junhyung kept his word about not arguing with her. They seemed to be getting along well and it was a relief, but both Kevin and Kikwang were always nearby watching over her and although it was killing Kikwang on the inside seeing her with Junhyung, he couldn’t help feel relieved that she wasn’t forcing herself so much.

“Did the school really approve renting a private beach for a High School event?” Kikwang asked, raising an eyebrow at some of the seniors setting up the Halloween decorations over the sand. “This spot has been rented out to our school for who knows how many years. It really isn’t that strange” “Well, it’s strange for the new kid” Min laughed as she lifted a large fake spider. Kikwang stepped back, “Ew” Min raised an eyebrow behind her sunglasses, “Are you afraid of spiders?” “Not afraid, just grossed out. Stop it” he said, when Min brought it closer to him. “Sorry, couldn’t resist. Why are you here so early by the way?” She asked, setting down the creepy decoration. “Well other than being curious as to how a beach party in autumn will work out, I thought maybe you could use some extra help”, Kikwang said, picking up and examining a plastic skull.

“Ah huh. So you coming here early isn’t an excuse to say you didn’t have time to put on your costume?” “Um. No” Min crossed her arms around her chest. Kikwang made a face and set down the skull. “Dongwoon told you?” “He sent me a text about 10 minutes before you got here. Don’t worry though. I’m not disappointed. I could use all the help I can get”, She said, then pointed behind her. “You can start by helping me set up the heaters. It’s going to be a cold night” “Sure. How many are there?” He asked, following her. “Four big ones and a couple of small ones for the tables” Kikwang got on the small stage they set up for the dance and walked over to where the bigger heaters were lined up. “Are you doing anything for the real Halloween tomorrow?” Kikwang asked her, picking up one of the bigger ones. “Other than watching scary movies at home and handing out candy? Nope. Kevin is taking his younger siblings trick or treating, same with Yoseob and Dongwoon as you know hasn’t finished his report due on Monday so he’s staying in to finish it” “What about Junhyung?” “He and Doojoon are heading to a seniors only bash their friends are planning” Min helped Kikwang bring down the heater onto the sandy ground.

“Your parents?” “Mom is out of the state this weekend. Can’t make it” Kikwang jumped off the stage. “Then you want me to come over?” Min looked at him surprised, “You want to?” Kikwang shrugged and focused on pulling the heater next to the table where the snacks were going to be set up at. “Sure. If that’s okay?” “Um. Yeah. Sure” Min answered. “If Dongwoon finishes early, I’ll tell him to come over. Maybe Kevin and Yoseob will be interested too” Min nodded eagerly, not hiding the fact that she liked the idea. “Right. Okay”

Kikwang smiled at her, “All right then. Can’t wait” Min blinked, a bit taken aback at how his smile brightened his features. She lost focus on her grip and her hand slid down a metal part sticking out. “Ow” She mumbled feeling the scratch. “What happened?” Kikwang asked, letting go of the heater. “Nothing. Just a scratch” Min mumbled. “Let me see” Kikwang took her hand, “First aid kit anywhere?” He asked her, but Min was too focused on how close he was that she didn’t hear him. Kikwang glanced up at her and the second their eyes met, Min dropped her hand and stepped back. “Ah, yeah, I’ll go get it” She said quickly. “You bleeding?” Kikwang and Min turned and saw Junhyung behind her, fixing his snapback. “Ah yeah. I got a cut” “I’ll go get a bandage”, He said, walking over to the table with the emergency container. When he came back, Kikwang had moved away, allowing Junhyung to put the Band-Aid on her hand. “Better?” Min rolled her eyes. “It’s just a small scratch, my guts won’t fall out” Junhyung made a face and pressed his lips on top of the wound.

Min was stunned. Junhyung was never an affectionate person, especially not with other people around. So it shocked her that he did that in front of Kikwang and honestly she didn’t really like it. If she still had feelings for him maybe she would’ve loved the warmth, but now it just felt awkward. Still, Min smiled. “By the way, you and your council are allowed to the party tomorrow. I’ll pick you up at 7pm okay?” “Tomorrow?” “Yeah, Halloween. You said you weren’t doing anything remember?” “Ah” Min glanced at Kikwang. “Sorry, did you already make plans?” Junhyung asked, turning to Kikwang. “Nah. We were just talking about it, but nothing official. I’m going to be helping Dongwoon with his essay though, so I probably wouldn’t have made it” Kikwang said, focusing on picking up the heater again. Min bit her bottom lip, feeling awful. “Actually-” She began, but Kikwang cut her off. “No seriously. I can’t make it. Sorry” Min pursed her lips, but quickly smiled when Junhyung turned to her. “7pm. Okay. Got it” Junhyung kissed her head and walked back to the table to return the first aid kit.

Min turned to look at Kikwang, but he was already far away setting up the heater and avoiding eye contact. Min sighed and decided to just set up the smaller heaters near the tables instead. Junhyung later joined her, but even after the dance began, Kikwang ended up leaving early so she didn’t have the chance to properly apologize.

It was safe to say that Min did not enjoy her Halloween weekend like she always did. She spent her time thinking about whether she made the right choice to go with Junhyung to the party. Part of her said that she did, since she said she was going to try to make their relationship work, but the other part couldn’t help feel guilty for what happened with Kikwang. Min ended up leaving the party early and going to bed way to early for a teenage girl. Her mind and heart were constantly battling with each other and Min definitely needed a break from all her mixed emotions.

Everything will be clearer in the morning. She told herself before knocking out, but alas, it was just wishful thinking. Fortunately Kikwang made it seem like he hadn’t been bothered by the change of plans and Junhyung continued to make an effort to not argue. Min decided to just go with it and push back her true emotions, after all Junhyung was her main priority, right?

-

“It should be illegal to ring the doorbell so early. Why are you here?” Dongwoon mumbled when he saw Min standing on his porch, nicely dressed and wide-awake unlike, well, him. “You were supposed to bring me my notes last night” Dongwoon yawned. “Oh. Right” he turned around and walked back inside. Min rolled her eyes and followed him. “I’ll be back”, Dongwoon said, heading upstairs. Min sighed and looked around Dongwoon’s living room. There were a lot of pictures of him as a kid, along with pictures of family trips. She even spotted a couple of Kikwang and whom she assumed were his parents; he looked a lot like his father.

“Stop!” Min jumped when she heard the loud scream come from upstairs. “Dongwoon?” Min called out, her heart thumping loudly as she waited for a reply. “Stop!” Min swallowed and quickly ran upstairs without thinking it twice. Min followed the whimpers and opened the door at the end of the hallway. She blinked, surprised to see Kikwang thrashing around on his bed “Kikwang?” Min said his name quietly, not knowing what to do. “No” he mumbled, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Min felt her stomach drop seeing him like that and rushed to his side. “Kikwang, wake up” She said, shaking him slightly. “Wake up, Kikwang. It’s okay. You’re okay.” Kikwang eyes shot open and he quickly sat up, looking around with fearful eyes. Min his hair with one hand and cupped his cheek with the other, saying his name to get his attention. Kikwang blinked and then faced her, “Min?” He asked, confused and out of breath “It was just a nightmare”, She said softly, wiping the stray tears. He stared at her for a few seconds before wrapping his arms around her waist and hiding his face in the crook of her neck. Min was a little puzzled by his actions, but she didn’t push him away. Instead she wrapped her arms around him and his hair as he tried to compose himself. “D-do you want to talk about it?” She asked, but Kikwang shook his head. “No” he mumbled, tightening his grip on her. Min could feel his heart thumping rapidly, but as she continued to hold him, she could feel both is heartbeat and breathing returning to normal.  

Min his hair and glanced towards the door. “Where the hell is Dongwoon?” She mumbled and tensed up when she felt Kikwang chuckle against her neck. Min watched him straighten up and wipe his eyes. “Someone could be running around with a chainsaw at full power and he wouldn’t wake up” “He said he was going to his room..” Min trailed off, watching him as he wiped his sweat and tears. Kikwang sighed and looked at her. “He most likely went back to sleep. It’s too early for him to be up” Kikwang said, glancing at his clock on the nightstand. “It’s too early for me too” “Really? I guess I’m just a morning person”, Min said, shifting her gaze to the doorway. Her face had heated up thinking about holding him a few moments ago.

“So you came by to?” Kikwang asked, glancing at her. “Picking up some notes I let Dongwoon borrow” Min answered quickly. “Ah, well we better go get them” Kikwang said, getting out of bed. Min blinked, alarmed that she hadn’t notice he wasn’t wearing a shirt. Kikwang also must’ve realized it, because he quickly put on a black shirt nearby and cleared his throat nervously, “Let’s go” “Right” Min stood up and followed Kikwang to Dongwoon’s room. Oh my God that means that I was holding him while he was half !?  Min shook the image out of her head and focused on not tripping on her own two feet as she followed Kikwang down the hall.

Kikwang opened up the door and motioned for her to come in. “Found him” Min shook her head. “This brat” Min mumbled, seeing Dongwoon sprawled on his bed. Min picked up a pillow and began hitting him with it. “Wake up!” Dongwoon groaned and grabbed the pillow form her hands, then covered his face with it. “Dongwoon!” “They’re on my desk” He mumbled. Min sighed and walked over to the messy desk. Fortunately her notes were right at the top of the pile.

“Dude, wake up. I’m hungry” Min heard Kikwang say as she checked to see if all the pages were there. “My mother usually makes extra food whenever she’s home. Do you guys want to come for breakfast?” Min asked, frowning at the small dent on one of the papers. Kikwang shrugged and looked down at Dongwoon, “What do you think?” Dongwoon mumbled something incoherent. “Free food, Dongwoon” Min added, turning around. Dongwoon immediately sat up and stretched his arms upward. “Sounds good” Min rolled her eyes, “I’ll wait for you guys downstairs then” Min said, leaving the room and avoiding eye contact with Kikwang at all costs.

When she got downstairs, Min waited on the sofa, pretending to look through her notes, but she couldn’t help glimpse at Kikwang’s pictures. She knew Kikwang had been transferred because he was being bullied, but nothing more than that. He was still a mystery and Min couldn’t help be curious about his past life. She wondered if the nightmare he had was just a simple nightmare or something more. She reached for her phone, but stopped herself. No. It’s not any of your business. Min told herself. She could easily request his file, but she wasn’t going to do that. He was finally opening up to people; she didn’t want to do something stupid and push him away. She considered him her friend and cared for him dearly, not only that, but she didn’t want to do anything else to put a strain on their friendship. She was already ignoring the thoughts about having feelings for him and focused more on not ruining the nice friendship they already had.  

“We’re ready” Min looked away from the pictures. She raised an eyebrow when she saw Dongwoon’s wardrobe. “Did he just roll on in the closet or…” Min trailed off, trying not to laugh at the colorful cheetah printed pants he was wearing. “His parents gave them to him for his birthday. It was a joke of course. My aunt and uncle have a pretty great sense of humor don’t they?” Kikwang said, admiring the pants. “They do, so why is he wearing them?” “Wearing what?” Dongwoon asked, rubbing his eyes. “I just threw him the nearest pants and he put them on like a good boy. We should go before he realizes what he’s wearing” Min laughed and stood up, “Good plan. Car’s out front”

“Is it just you and your mother?” Kikwang asked, getting into the passenger seat. Min nodded and the engine. “It is, but she works out of the state. Right now she’s planning out her transfer to an office nearby. She’s a journalist for a fashion magazine” “Ah” Kikwang said, leaning back as Min exited the driveway. Min glanced at him, but didn’t ask him anything until they were a few houses away from her home. “So what do your parents do?” She asked. “I’m an orphan” Min tightened her grip on the steering wheel, surprised by his answer. She parked her car in her driveway and looked at Kikwang, who was simply staring out the window as if his comment wasn’t a big deal. He didn’t tell me what his favorite color was, he told me that he was an orphan, how can someone say it so casually? Min thought as she turned off the car. “I’m sorry” She managed to say. “We shouldn’t keep your mother waiting” Kikwang said. “Right” He nodded and got out of the car without looking at her, then opened the back door. “We’re here. Wake up, Dongwoon. How is it possible you can fall asleep so quickly? ”, Kikwang mumbled, shaking his cousin’s shoulders. “I’m up” Dongwoon muttered.

Min got out of her car and led Dongwoon and Kikwang to the front door, “I’m back” Min called out into he house, juggling her keys in her hand. “And I’ve brought guests” She added, heading straight to the kitchen. “Well it’s a good thing I made extra” Kikwang heard a woman’s voice coming from the kitchen. When he stepped through the arch, he noticed a woman, a few inches taller than Min and with longer hair, standing over the stove. On the kitchen island there were plates filled with eggs, pancakes, bacon and hash browns. There was also a pitcher of orange juice and the coffee machine was filled to the brink.

“You always make extra, even if it’s just us two” Min answered, grabbing two extra glass cups from the cupboards. Min’s mother looked over her shoulder, “Oh. Is that Dongwoon? I’m not used to seeing him in the mornings” “His Ms. Lee” Dongwoon greeted, taking a seat at the dining table. Min’s mother turned and took off her apron. “Hello, I don’t believe we’ve met” She said to Kikwang, offering a hand. Kikwang quickly shook her hand. “He’s Kikwang, Dongwoon’s cousin” Min answered. “Well, welcome. Go take a seat, I’m just waiting on the last batch of bacon”, She said, turning around and turning off the stove. Kikwang didn’t sit down right away; instead he helped Min place the plates on the table.

When they food was ready, they all sat down and ate. Min’s mother talked about how well things were going at the company and that if all went well, she would be back home by Junhyung’s graduation. Min continued the conversation, talking to her about school events. Dongwoon just ate without really acknowledging anyone and Kikwang focused on eating as well, since he didn’t know what else to do or say. Min and her mother seemed really focused on their conversation, but he was preparing himself to get bombarded with questions from her mother.

Kikwang glanced up when he heard a phone ringing. “Speaking of people I should hear from soon” Min said, standing up and looking at her phone. “Excuse me” She said, stepping out into the hallway. Kikwang caught Min’s mother’s eyes; “I’m guessing it’s someone from the senior class giving her the thumbs up for the venue she recommended. At least that’s what she was talking about before they called” “A venue for what?” “The Winter Dance I believe” “Ugh, that’s the dance where we have to all wear white isn’t it?” Dongwoon asked, “It is. Min was telling me they’re planning on changing the whole white thing. Something about having a friend who spills everything on his clothes” Min’s mother raised an eyebrow at Dongwoon. He looked down at sure enough there was a stain on his gray shirt. “Oops” She and Kikwang laughed as he tried to remove it. “Just go splash some water on it” “Right” Dongwoon got up and Kikwang immediately tensed up realizing he was going to be alone with Ms. Lee. “Those pants are interesting” Kikwang laughed, “They are” He answered, then braced himself, but when he saw Min walk back into the kitchen he quickly focused on the food again.

 Ms. Lee and Min continued with their conversation as if she never left. A few minutes later Ms. Lee got a call from work and announced that she had to get to the airport in an hour, but continued eating without rushing, focusing on what Min was telling her. Kikwang couldn’t help smile at that. He could tell that she was trying her best at keeping a good relationship with Min even if she was usually away. After they were all finished eating, Kikwang and Dongwoon helped Min with the dishes as Ms. Lee brought down her suitcases. “All right, behave, no drinking, no parties….” “Blah blah” Min added, making her mother chuckle. Ms. Lee kissed her forehead and said goodbye to Kikwang and Dongwoon. “I’m coming by next week and staying until Tuesday okay?” Min nodded and walked her out. When she came back Kikwang and Dongwoon were comfortably sitting on the living room couch watching cartoons.

“Well, you sure made yourselves at home” She said, taking a seat on the loveseat. “Your home is just so inviting” Dongwoon said, raising the volume on the television. Min rolled her eyes and leaned back. Kikwang hunched forward, “Don’t you get lonely all by yourself?” Min simply shrugged. “I don’t usually stay at home when I’m alone. I just sleep here and go out, so I’ve never really felt lonely”, Min answered, keeping her eyes on the screen. Kikwang nodded and focused back on the TV.

“Do you guys want to do something today?” Dongwoon asked after another episode started. “Sure. What do you want to do?” Min asked. Kikwang furrowed his eyebrows, “Dongwoon, didn’t you promise my Aunt you were going to help with her class’ Saturday picnic today” Dongwoon let out a long groan. “Crap. Well at least I’m dressed” Min and Kikwang pursed their lips together to stop the laughs wanting to come out. Dongwoon raised an eyebrow and looked down at his attired. “You jerk” Dongwoon said, shooting a glare at Kikwang. Min and Kikwang burst out laughing. “Sorry, man. I couldn’t resist” Dongwoon made a face and stood up. “Thanks, now I have to go back home and change” “Take my car. Once you’re finished helping your mom you can come pick up Kikwang and I’ll take you guys home” Min said, throwing her keys at him. “Okay, I’ll see after noon or something” Dongwoon mumbled. Min and Kikwang waved, but didn’t move from their spots. It wasn’t until after Dongwoon left that they realized they were alone together.

They pretended to watch the television, but the tension was evidently there. Kikwang cleared his throat, “You look a lot like your mother, well a lot shorter, but very alike” Min stuck out her tongue at him. “Thanks” Kikwang chuckled and changed the channel. “You look a lot like your father” Min said, but immediately noticed the change of emotion on Kikwang’s face. His body stiffen and his face went blank. “I’m nothing like him” Min stared at him, taken back by his angry tone. “Okay. I’m sorry” Min said quietly.

Kikwang balled his hands into fists. I want Min to trust me. I want her to rely on me when she’s having problems with Junhyung. I want to know everything about her, but is it fair that I’m keeping everything about me a secret? Kikwang sighed and made a choice. “Min, we’re friends right?” “Of course we are” Min said, shocked that he had to ask. Kikwang bit his lip. “Min, I don’t like your relationship with Junhyung. I think you’re going to get hurt and I don’t want to see that” Min exhaled, “Kikwang-“ “I’m not finished” He interrupted her. Min closed and waited for him to continue. “But I know you won’t give up on him. I just…I just want you to know that I’m here and that Kevin and I will always be there whenever you need to rest up that fake smile of yours” Min face fell. “What are you talking about?” “I know what you’re doing. I know you’re pretending that everything’s okay for Junhyung’s sake, but Min I want you to trust me and I think in order for you to truly do that, I need to tell you the truth” “The truth? About what?” “About why I left my old school” “You were bullied…” Kikwang nodded, “I was, but do you know why?” Min shook her head, looking at him concerned. Kikwang looked up at her with tearful eyes, making Min’s stomach churn; she didn’t like that painful look on his face.

“Because I killed my father”

 


Author's Note: *dramatic music plays* Oh dear. Kikwang's secret is out! So many MinKwang moments in this chapter, but what's going to happen now that Junhyung is making an effort to fix his relationship? I made this chapter longer than usual because I feel like I owe you beautiful readers since I haven't updated in a while. Thank you for sticking around and continuing to support this story <3 Let me know what you think! What do you think Min should do with her current situation? What would you do if you were in her position?