♡ Ch. 10

Save You

Kikwang was expecting the worse. He was preparing himself to protect Min at all cost. He was imagining any horrible scenario and was rethinking his action plans, but when he ran into Min’s house he found her sitting on her couch, her arms wrapped around herself and staring blankly into the unlit fireplace. 

After looking around the living room and seeing no one there, he went to take a seat next to her. He turned her face to inspect her, trying to find any bruises or cuts, but his fingertips only brushed against her dry tears.

“Are you okay?” He asked when she finally looked at him. Min swallowed and sighed, “He left” She pursed her lips and bowed her head. “And it’s my fault” She put a hand over to stop her sob. “What do you mean he left?” Kikwang asked softly, brushing back her loose hair strands. Min sniffed and turned to look back at the fireplace. 

-

“If you didn’t want to be with me, you could’ve just told me” There wasn’t any anger behind Junhyung’s voice; in fact, his tone was more sympathetic than anything. “Really? I could’ve?” Min retorted. For some reason how he said it annoyed her. Junghyun sighed and rubbed his eyes, understanding her frustration. “Yeah, you’re right. You probably couldn’t,” He answered, dropping his hands to the side.

“I knew you didn’t love me anymore, but I didn’t want to believe it. I wasn’t ready to believe it and you knew that.” Min crossed her arms around her chest and waited for Junhyung to continue. “I-I want to get better” Min blinked, surprised by Junhyung’s words. Junhyung bit his lip and avoided eye contact. “But…I realized I can’t do that while you’re around” Min clenched her teeth, feeling the tears forming. She knew what was coming.

“I can’t be leaning on you so much anymore, Min. I’m hurting you. I’m hurting you so bad and I feel so terrible about it” It wasn’t easy for Junhyung to say this to her, but he had to. He had to do it and after taking a deep breath, he finally stared back into her sad eyes. “I’m keeping you from being happy. I realized that I’m bringing you down with me and I can’t live with that anymore. I need to learn to pick myself up when I fall-”

“What if you can’t?” Min interrupted, surprised by her heated tone. It was what she wanted wasn’t it? For him to be okay. For him to want to be okay. Then why was she suddenly so angry?

Junhyung frowned and walked over to her, then placed a comforting hand over her head. “Then that’s my fault, Min. Not yours. Never yours. If anything, you’re the reason why I made it so far.” Min clenched her jaw harder and let the tears roll down her cheeks. “I-I have to take care of you. That’s how this works!” Min said, balling up her hands into fists and hitting his chest. “I have to! I have to protect you. It’s the only thing I’m good at! Don’t take that from me!” Junhyung immediately wrapped his arms around her. “No, Min, don’t say that” He whispered, his voice cracking at the sound of her sobs. “Minnie, don’t…don’t walk the same path I did. You’re amazing, you’re strong, you have so much to live for and so many things you’re good at, but please, please just like you stood on your own, let me do the same. I need to learn to live for myself. I need to learn to love my life, to live for me. Please understand”

Min controlled herself and nodded, understanding what he was saying, but it didn’t mean it didn’t hurt. Junhyung was her best friend and even though she didn’t love him like a man anymore, he was still someone she would never stop caring for. It was truly bittersweet. She felt relieved and content that he wanted to take back the reigns of his life, but also heartbroken that he was going to leave. If Junhyung was happy though, she could be too. This is what she wanted, but there was always that part of her that didn’t want to give up what they had. She knew it was selfish, but she also knew that keeping him around would only hurt him more. This was what she was waiting for, what she wanted for him and she needed to push away her mixed emotions. It was finally happening. It was something she was preparing for, but when it finally comes, it’s always completely different isn’t it?

“I’m leaving tonight” Min furrowed her eyebrows and pulled back. “What do you mean you’re leaving tonight?” “Doojoon is dropping me off at the train station and I’m going somewhere” “What? Alone? You can’t go alone, Junhyung. I’m happy that you want to get better, but not like this. You need someone there-” Junghyun covered with his hand and smiled, “I’m heading up North. I got accepted into an early music program and that’s where I’ll be” Min shoved his hand to the side, “But alone? You can’t. What about your mother? She’ll do everything in her power to bring you back” Junhyung took a step back, “I turn 18 in two weeks. She won’t check in until then. You and I both know that” “Where are you going to stay? What are you going to eat?” Min could accept his choice of changing, but how could he do it in a completely new city with no one he knows around? What if he needed someone? What if he had another break down?

“All these years in therapy have come in handy you know. I realized what my problems are and I need to get away from them” Min looked away, knowing that one of the problems he was referring to was her. It was just as Kikwang said. How could she have been so stupid? How could she have not seen just how much she was hurting him? “I’m sorry. I should’ve.... I should’ve told you the truth…I should’ve…helped you” Junhyung hugged her again, “You did. You did so much for me. I was the one clinging onto you and all your happiness away. No matter what happens after this, it won’t be your fault.”

Min was terrified, but what if he really needed this? What if he really, truly needed this? She couldn’t stand in between.

She had to let him go.

“You’re not going to call me are you?” Min asked, stepping out of his arms. Junghyun gave her a small smile. “I can’t. Not until I get better” Min nodded, “You’re still going to go see someone right?” Junghyun nodded, “I am. I know I can’t get rid of all of this in one night, but I’ll work hard to do it, alone and with healthy relationships around me” He said the last one carefully, but it still felt like a slap on the face to Min. Still she nodded, “Then I hope you do get better, because I love you and I really want you in my life” “I will be, soon” Min bit her bottom lip and wrapped her arms around herself, “Then you should go now that you’re so sure” Junhyung walked over to the coffee table and grabbed a large duffle bag that Min hadn’t even noticed was there.

Min looked away after he waved one last time, “Hey, Min?” “Hm?” “I honestly hope that even with this happening, you can still allow yourself to be happy. With Kikwang or with anyone else, I just want you to be happy” “You too” Min whispered, but didn’t dare to look at him. She felt if she did, she would try to stop him and tell him that she could still take care of him; that she could still save him.

When she heard the car outside start, she grabbed her phone and dialed the number of the person who she wanted to be there with her. As she was dialing she felt more tears stream down her face. The realization was setting in. There was a possibility that she would never see Junhyung again and it was so painful to think that. When she heard Kikwang voice, she said the first things that came to mind, “He’s gone” She put a hand to her forehead, “Kikwang he’s gone” Another sob came out and she clenched her jaw, trying to calm herself down “Min, are you okay? Please tell me you’re okay” She heard Kikwang’s worried tone and it made her cry even more. It was the same tone she would use when Junhyung would call her crying and to think she might never use it again.

He left me”

-

Kikwang had an arm around Min as she told him what happened. He could understand why she was upset. The person you felt wholly responsible for was gone, just like that, and the thought of them heading out alone would be terrifying for anyone. “I know I’m not making sense. I should be happy for him, but what if something bad happens?” Min looked up at him with her eyes full of worry. Kikwang sighed and wiped her tears away. “Then it happens and it wasn’t your fault. This is the first time Junhyung is fighting to get better and you have to let him. I’m sorry, Min, but he’s right. You were one of the reasons why he couldn’t break free”

Kikwang removed his arm from around and her and leaned forward. “The reason why my father wanted to kill himself was because he had killed my mother before I got there” Min widened her eyes and looked at Kikwang in complete shock. She knew about what had happened between Kikwang and his father, but she never asked, or felt comfortable to ask, what led up to that. “My father lost his company when I was young and got depressed. There were days when he wouldn’t get out of bed or would just sit there in silence. As the years passed, my mother got fed up with working so much and my father not bothering to go see a therapist or get help, so she divorced him. One day when I was coming home from a friend’s house, my mother was supposed stop by my father’s house and give him the divorce papers to sign and pick me up as well. He killed her then and when I got there, well, you know that part already”

Kikwang sighed, “I was scared as hell to think that what happened to my parents could happen to you and Junhyung. Which is why I tried to get you to think about this. My mother didn’t take his depression seriously and you focused on it too much that you were starting to get into that black void. I was trying so hard to not let you fall in. I didn’t want to see you as broken as my father or as broken as Junhyung, because I didn’t want to have to separate myself from you” Kikwang’s voice cracked. “I-I couldn’t be with someone like that because I don’t think I would be able to take it again. Especially because I fell in love with you and-”

Kikwang stopped talking when he felt Min’s arm wrap around his waist. He lifted his arm and wrapped an arm around her, pressing her closer to him. “You don’t have to worry about that,” She whispered. “But please understand that I can’t do this right now” Kikwang nodded and put his lips on top of her head. “I understand” Min cuddled closer to him and closed her eyes, thankful for at least some comfort.

3 months later.

“So any news from Junhyung?” Kikwang asked Min as they walked to class side by side, “No, but Doojoon says he’s doing fine. He broke down a few days ago, but he’s better now. He was fortunate enough to find such a supportive roommate” Min answered him, nibbling on her lip as she spoke. “I know you’re still worried, but you have to have faith in him” Min looked up and him and released her lip. “Yeah, I do, but even if you say that I can’t help worry” “Has his mom tried anything again?” “Other than try to get him out of that school?” Kikwang nodded, “No. She stopped fighting with the school when Junhyung threatened to expose his “sickness” and her “fault” in it. Now she just sends him angry voicemails”

“And how are you doing?” Min chuckled and shrugged her shoulders lightly, “Apart from missing my best friend, I’m fine. Giving up Presidency was the best choice I’ve ever made. I feel so light I could probably fly” Kikwang laughed as she stretched out her hands.

After Min gave up her position as President of the Junior Class, she returned to her cheerful and excitable self. Kevin was so relieved and Kikwang found just more reasons to love the small bundle of energy. There were times when she would get sad when they mentioned Junghyun, but now she was able to talk about him with a lot more ease. It helped that Doojoon kept her posted on how he was doing. She was happy on her own and that definitely made Kikwang happier as well, even if they did remain as friends, for now at least.

“Hold up” Kikwang grabbed her arm and Min spun around with a raised brow. “What’s up?” “I asked you a question yesterday and you told me you would answer me today” Min tilted her head to the side, “Did I?” Kikwang crossed his arms around his chest and stared her down. Min blinked up at him innocently. “Fine! Don’t answer. Not like I care,” Kikwang exclaimed, shoving his hands into his pockets and walking past her. Min released her laugh, “Hold on” She called out, running so she could stop in front of him. She got on her tippy toes and pressed her lips on his. “My answer is yes. I would love to be your girlfriend” Kikwang surprise quickly faded and he grinned widely. “Really?” Min nodded and laughed when she felt herself getting picked up from the ground. “You’re not messing with me?” Kikwang asked, holding her at eye level, “I’m not” He grinned and pecked her lips continuously. “Okay, okay, we’re going to be late, c’mon” She said, pushing him back and making him put her down. She took hold of his hand and pulled him towards their next class.

-

“Do they really have to come to our study group? I do not want to deal with lovey dovey stares.” Yoseob complained, shooting Min and Kikwang a look as they walked hand in hand next to him. “Don’t worry your pretty little head off, Min is helping me with an errand first” Kevin said, twirling his keys in his hand. “Doesn’t change the fact that we have to deal with their lovey dovey stares when she gets back” Dongwoon mumbled, earning a shove from his cousin. “Ow. Fine, whatever. I’ll wait in the car,” Dongwoon cried out, rubbing his arm “Shotgun!” Yoseob yelled, taking off towards Kikwang’s car with Dongwoon shouting at how unfair he was being, behind him.

“Dammit, I forgot the box with the decorations!” Kevin said, releasing a long dramatic sigh. “My god Kevin, you’re falling apart without me aren’t you?” “Just because I have big shoes to fill, doesn’t mean I can’t handle it. Now, I’ll be back. Here” He threw the keys to Min and took off back to the school. “Do you miss being President?” Kikwang asked, putting his hands on her waist. Min scoffed, “Hell no” Kikwang chuckled and leaned down to kiss her.

“Can you believe her? Junhyung is suffering because of her and she’s here making out with someone else” Kikwang and Min broke apart and looked over to the group of girls glaring at them as they walked past them. “What was that about?” Kikwang asked, making Min shrug, genuinely confused. “I have no idea”

“Min!” Min and Kikwang turned and saw Doojoon running over to them with Kevin behind him. “What’s up?” Doojoon was still in his soccer uniform, meaning he left practice, which was something he rarely did. He caught his breath and furrowed his eyebrows, “Junhyung is in the hospital, and I’m heading over there now”

Min for a second thought her heart stopped beating and it took her a while to come up with the something to say, “Is…is he, is he okay?” She managed to ask, with Kevin and Kikwang watching her closely. “I don’t know. I couldn’t get any more information”

“I heard he had already tried it! I never thought Min could be so inconsiderate like that? Can you imagine?” Doojoon shot a look at the pair of freshman girls and they quickly scurried away. Kikwang felt his blood boil. He had already dealt with being called a "murderer" in his last school due to stupid rumors, and he hated that it seemed as though Min was about to go through the same. “Go” He urged her after her gaze had gone to the ground. “Just go” Min looked up at him and immediately noticed his grave face. Min swallowed, “It doesn’t change anything” Kikwang stared back into her eyes, “I’m coming back to you,” She said, kissing his lips softly before handing Kevin his keys and following Doojoon to his car.

Kevin and Kikwang watched them drive away and Kikwang couldn’t help suddenly feel self conscious about his relationship with Min. Maybe she wasn’t over him. Maybe she would always pick Junhyung over him. “She said she’d come back to you. You have to trust her.” Kevin told him, taking notice of Kikwang’s expression. “You know better than anyone that Junhyung will never be out of her life, but you’re here, perfectly okay and he’s not. Right now her best friend needs her” Kikwang nodded, the anxiousness easing down. “And I need to be there for her. You up for a trip?” Kevin smiled, “I thought I was going to have to go alone" "Hey, have you guys seen the stuff they're writing about Min online?" Kevin and Kikwang turned around and saw Yoseob and Dongwoon walking towards them with their phones. "It's ridiculous. Do you have any idea what it's about?" "I'll tell you guys-"

“I never thought Min could do something like that? Who breaks up with someone who is depressed like that? If Junhyung dies it’ll be all her fault” Jihyun, now the new senior class president strode by them, making sure everyone around them could hear her conversation. Kikwang clenched his fists and was about to respond, but was cut off by Kevin.

“Hey” Kikwang raised a brow when he saw Kevin marching over to her. “Why don’t you shut up?” Jihyun looked taken back and to be honest, Kikwang, Dongwoon and Yoseob were also surprised. Kevin wasn’t the type of person to sound so menacing. “I don’t think I ever saw you there helping Junhyung when he first tried to kill himself. Were you there? Did you even bother to see him at the hospital?” Jihyun swallowed, her eyes flickering around for someone to speak up for her, but her friends were dead silent. “I-I didn’t know,” She finally said, “Exactly. You and everyone else didn’t ing know. Just like now. You don’t know what’s going on. All you’re ing doing is spreading stupid rumors about something you know nothing about. You have no idea everything Min did for Junhyung. You have no idea how much she helped him and just how much she was hurting herself to help him. And where were you? Where was anyone else? Huh? Where? So instead of talking just to make yourself look better, why don’t you shut your mouth and wait until the real news comes. Min has done a lot for everyone here and to think, you’re all a bunch of pathetic gossips” Kevin spoke loud enough that a small crowd had formed, but he didn’t care about the attention. He was speaking nothing but the truth and if it spread, then so be it. At least it would be the truth spreading instead of made up lies. He his heel and motioned the guys to follow him. “Let’s go. Unlike them, we have a friend we need to go check up on”

-

Many hours, and many bathroom breaks, later and they finally reached the hospital. Dongwoon noticed Doojoon’s car in the parking lot and they made their way inside as fast as they could. After getting lectured by one of the nurses about running inside a hospital, they found out Junhyung’s room number and went upstairs.

Kikwang took a deep breath when they stood in front of the closed door and knocked softly, then opened the door. Doojoon and Min were surprised to see them there, but Junhyung, who was on the hospital bed with a broken leg, greeted them with a smile.

“What a surprise. I didn’t expect to have so many visitors,” He spoke with a cheerful tone that Kikwang had to do a double take to make sure it was really him. “Whoa. What happened?” Dongwoon asked, pointing at his cast. “He tried to show off his dance skills to some girl and fell off the curb” Everyone turned to look at a pretty faced guy sitting on one of the chairs with a book on his lap. “This is Hyunseung, my roommate” Junhyung introduced them. The three juniors did their manly nod greeting, and then turned to Junhyung.  “Idiot” Min slapped his good leg and shook her head, making Junhyung laugh. “I’m sorry I worried you. I’m fine. Really” He said the last part softly, making Min smile. “I’m glad,” She said, standing up from the chair and walking to Kikwang.

“I told you I would come back to you,” She said, greeting him with a kiss on the cheek. Kikwang wrapped arm around her shoulders and shrugged, “Why make it so complicated? I can always come to you too” Min scrunched up her nose and wrapped her arms around his torso. “Ew. Can you not flirt with my ex in my hospital room please?” Junhyung groaned, with Dongwoon adding a “Seriously” right after.

“Can I sign your cast?’ Yoseob asked eagerly. “You know, they say if you’re the first person to sign a cast, you will be the next one to break a bone” Hyunseung spoke up, turning the page of his book casually. Kikwang, Kevin, Doojoon and Min laughed at Dongwoon and Yoseob’s horrified expressions. “Then you do it” Dongwoon scoffed, “Yeah, like I woke up this morning and thought, hey, I want to break a bone” “Well someone has to make the sacrifice” “You do it. Didn’t you want to get out of the History text next week? Here’s your chance”

“So wait does that mean that Kevin made that heroic speech for no reason? I mean, he might’ve just spilled your secrets to the whole school, but it was so cool”, Yoseob said, changing the conversation entirely when he saw that Hyunseung was handing Dongwoon a marker. Kevin’s face flushed, “I was defending Min!” “I recorded it, you guys want to see?” Dongwoon asked, taking out his phone. “Eh, if it’s for Min, I don’t care who knows” Junhyung said, motioning Dongwoon to get close to watch the video. “I want to see too” Min said, quickly going to go stand next to Junhyung, even Hyunseung stood up, for some reason looking very interested. “Oh come on guys,” Kevin complained, getting pulled by Min to see it as well.

Kikwang leaned on the doorframe and watched them all with a genuine smile on his face. It was nice seeing his friends laughing and enjoying each other’s company.  

Min turned to look at Kikwang and smiled, then mouthed an “I love you”. Kikwang smiled back and shot her a wink before she went back to watching Kevin stick up for her.

This time, Min didn’t see a hint of sadness in his eyes or in anyone else’s. 


Author’s Note: And it ended with a happy ending! I was debating whether to make it more angsty or end it with possibly Junhyung killing himself and having Min cope with that and then end it with a uplifting ending, but I decided not to do that because being saved is definitely possible. It doesn’t always have to end badly. Also, I kind of needed to write a positive end because of all the negative events that have been happening in my life. So hence, the happy ending! Either way, it’s a realistic one. Depression can be fought and can be won. Hope you all enjoyed this story because I really loved writing it. Since my next ones are more on the fantasy ones, it was nice to have a slice of life one to fall back to. Let me know what you think ^^ and I’ll be revealing my next two stories soon! I will be working on MWN next and trying to get a teaser ready for you guys.

Now, thank you so much for sticking around and to thank you LoveVath, 4everhite, WonderfulSayA, pantherahami, minalong and ElleJacobs for upvoting! And thank you all who commented and subscribed! Hope you look forward to my new stories <3