♡ Ch. 9

Save You

Min stared at her dress with her knees tucked underneath her chin. The dance started in 2 hours and she had to be at the hotel in 1, all dressed and only arriving early to make sure the sound system worked and all the decorations were arranged right (even if she had just been there fixing them herself about an hour ago). She had taken a shower, dried her newly dyed hair, let it down and allowed her natural waves to frame her look. She was in her bathrobe sitting on her lounge chair, with her light make up on, but not showing any signs of getting dressed.  

It’s not that the dress was ugly; she had picked out the red sequin dress because she had liked it, but as she stared at it she recalled that she was going to match Junhyung’s tie. She titled her head to the side. Of course she was going to match with her boyfriend, but there was no excitement or joy about it. She was even thinking of changing into a different dress, but then sighed and shook her head at the thought. “It’s just a dress” She mumbled and got on her feet then grabbed her dress and headed into the bathroom.

When she emerged from the bathroom all dressed up and with her hair styled with a silver headband, she grabbed her matching red heels and black bag, then immediately headed out of her room.  She went down the stairs in her bare feet and when she opened the front door she gasped out loud when she saw Kikwang standing in front of her and from the looks of it, he was about to knock on the door.

They stood there staring at each other both of their eyes traveling up and down, taking in their appearances. Kikwang was wearing all black, with the exception of the red satin silk long sleeve under his blazer. He wasn’t wearing tie and she noticed that his hair was now dark red instead of the bright she had grown accustomed to and she wondered when he had changed it.

“Y-your phone” Kikwang managed to say, making Min furrow her eyebrows in confusion. Kikwang lowered his hand and shoved it into his pants pocket, “I tried calling you” Min eyebrows shot up, “Oh! Hold this!” She said, shoving her heels and bag into Kikwang’s arms, then ran upstairs to her room. She flicked the lights on and unplugged the phone form it’s charger, then turned it on. She shook her head at her herself when she noticed that she had also forgotten to grab her jacket. She looked over her phone and sure enough she had 6 missed calls from Kikwang, Dongwoon and Kevin. She also had a message from Kevin and checked that first.

“Hey tried to call, but my car decided to be a and break down on me. Dongwoon and Kikwang said they could pick us up and get us to the dance early. They’ll stop by your house first”

Min exhaled. For a second there she thought Kikwang was there to whisk her away to the dance, but of course he wasn’t. Kikwang may not be close to Junhyung, but he wasn’t the type of person to take his classmates girlfriend to a dance as his date. Min grimaced at her thoughts.

Should I really have wanted that!?

Min quickly put on her jacket and went back downstairs, where Kikwang was waiting. Though Junhyung was her date, he and the other seniors weren’t going to be there until the dance actually started, mainly because the junior student council was in charge of the Winter Dance and only they could get early access.

“Ready” Min said, reaching the bottom step and watching as Kikwang looked away from one of photo frames. He had her purse strap slung over his shoulder and her heels in his hand. He nodded to the picture, “Is that your dad?” Min blinked at the question and walked over to him. She took in a breath when she saw the picture; it was a surprise that it was still there. Granted, both Min and her mother were hardly in the living room and hadn’t really redecorated much in the past few years, but how could they have missed it? Min grabbed the frame and took out one of the smaller pictures it held, then ripped it up and dumped the pieces inside the fireplace. It wasn’t lit up, but she made a note to turn it on later that night.

Kikwang watched her as she glared at the ripped picture and followed her gaze when she began to look for something. “That wasn’t suppose to be out” She said, without breaking her search for more unwanted photos. She and her mother had disposed of a lot of her father’s things, but they apparently had missed something and now she was wondering if there was another sign of him around the house.

“I assume you’re not close” Kikwang asked carefully. “That’s an understatement. My father was a bad man and I want to forget he exists” “Yeah. I get how that feels,” Kikwang said in a soft voice, making Min stop her search and look at him. He had told her about his father, the least she could give him an explanation about her own. Min pretended to continue her search as she began her story. “My parents were never married, so after I was born, they shared my custody. My father liked my mother a lot, but he was very hot-tempered and very jealous, so my mom kicked him out of her house a few months before I was born. After that he became angrier and began to hate my mother and her success, yet always tried to get more money from her, using me as an excuse of course. I was maybe 8 when he arrived home from one of his failed job interviews. The lady who took care of me while he was gone went home and he was just so angry that night” Min voice lowered in the middle of her explanation, but Kikwang was still able to hear her. “He hit me twice before I ran out of there and headed to mom’s house, which was like a 10 minute walk from his at the time. I ran and got to the yard, when he caught me, he tackled me down and hit me some more” She sighed and looked up at a picture of her and Junhyung. “Then Junhyung appeared and pushed him off. This 8 year old just went ballistic and started fighting with this red-faced grown man. I didn’t exactly see them fighting. I couldn’t even breathe, I just heard them. Then the neighbors heard the shouts and came out. They held down my father until the police and ambulance arrived. If he wouldn’t have defended me, my father probably would’ve killed me”

Kikwang listened with clenched fists. He wasn't just livid that her father had hurt Min so much, but he realized that it wasn't just about the long friendship or the love she once felt; Min owed Junhyung her life, which was why she was so stubborn to stay by his side. “So because he saved you, you feel you have to save him?” Min looked at Kikwang, who was furiously looking down at the logs. “You already saved his life once, if he doesn’t want to even try to save himself after that, then you’re only going down with him. I'm sorry about what happened to you, Min. I truly am. Your father was a horrible man and if  I had him here in front of me I would-" They heard a honking from outside. Kikwang ran a hand through his hair, "Let’s go, Dongwoon is waiting” He shoved the heels into her hands and stalked off to the front door. Min put on her heels and followed him out. He handed her the bag and even though he was mad, he waited for her to lock the door and walked with her towards Dongwoon’s car.

“You look nice” Dongwoon complimented after Kikwang gave her the passenger seat. “Thank you. You do as well” “Thanks, I picked the bowtie” Dongwoon said, fixing his blue bowtie and starting the car. Min chuckled and tried not to glance back at Kikwang as they drove to Kevin’s house. “So you guys have dates?” She asked.“Naw. If girls can go in groups why can’t guys?” “The 3 girls he asked already had dates”, Kikwang corrected, earning a glare from Dongwoon from the rear view mirror. “Well what about you then?” He accused, turning right into Kevin’s street. “The only girl I wanted to ask already had a date” Kikwang said casually, leaning his head back on the seat and closing his eyes. Min pretended to look out the window, but couldn’t help clench her jaw. “Oh yeah? Whose that?” Dongwoon asked, curious about Kikwang’s unattainable girl. “Do I know her?” Kikwang shrugged, “Maybe” “Ah come on, we wanna know”

I don’t.

Min thought, but kept closed. She didn’t want to know her name, but both curiosity and jealousy were gnawing inside her and tried to think if she knew any other girl Kikwang was close to. “I’ll tell you later” Kikwang mumbled. “Oh c’mon. Min won’t say anything. Just tell us” Dongwoon pressed, “I said I’ll tell you later” Kikwang repeated and this time Dongwoon took note of his annoyance and didn’t ask again. Min didn’t know what to feel. Betrayed because he didn’t trust her with that or annoyed that there was another girl in his mind.

“Hey guys” Kevin greeted them as he got inside the car. Everyone mumbled their hellos and Kevin raised an eyebrow, quickly noticing the tension.  “Dongwoon what stupidity came out of your mouth this time?” Dongwoon scoffed, but didn’t say anything and drove off, hinting that it had been his fault things got quiet. Kevin settled into his seat and decided to let it go. Min would probably tell him later.

When they got to the hotel, they weren’t surprise that the reserved parking lot they had gotten was mostly empty, with only a few cars parked (which most likely belonged to the chaperons). Min and Kevin lead the way as Dongwoon and Kikwang looked around the hotel lobby.

“Woah” “Did we step into a club?” Min shrugged off her jacket motioned for them to follow her. Kikwang looked up at the illuminated dandelion or snow flake shaped lights. “The junior class can afford to do this?” “Ha. Nope. This was paid for by the parent’s donations”

Kikwang sometimes forgot he went to a high-class private school.

Min led them to the back of the small stage where the DJ booth was. “We can put our stuff here,” She said, unlocking the door to a small dressing room with boxes filled with extra decorations. Min put her jacket and bag down, while Kevin removed his blazer, he then nodded to Dongwoon and Kikwang to do the same, but they decided to keep their blazers on. When Min locked the door, she headed straight to the front without a word. The boys followed after her.

Kevin began to inspect the decorations as Min checked the music set list the DJ had given her, making sure that there weren’t extremely inappropriate songs since this time there were actual chaperons in the room with them. Dongwoon and Kikwang sat awkwardly in one of the tables near the front and watched them. Soon the rest of the student council arrived, along with Yoseob, but they got straight to work in making sure there was no problems with the lights, tables or chairs. 

Dongwoon was starting to doze off and Kikwang kept his eyes on Min. He was amazed at how easily she pushed away her stress and went full on President mode. She took the responsibility seriously, but he had a feeling that she focused on her duties so she wouldn’t start stressing over Junhyung. He was a little surprised that he was finding it easier to read her. Or maybe I’m completely wrong. He told himself, not wanting to get his hopes high only to have her crush them down.

Kikwang let out a soft laugh as Dongwoon jolted awake when the music began to play loudly. Dongwoon shot him a glare, “If you want food, I suggest you make your way over there now before everyone starts coming in” Kevin said as he, Yoseob and Min approached them. The five of them headed to the buffet area and filled up their plates and right when they sat down, the other students began to come in.

As they ate, Min, Yoseob and Kevin received some positive comments about the decorations from their classmates. Even the teachers complimented them. Soon enough the students were dancing, while the five of them sat in their table, talking and laughing amongst themselves.

“Hey” Everyone at the table looked up and saw Doojoon and Junhyung standing there. Doojoon in his navy long sleeve and Junhyung with a white long sleeve and red tie. “You look great” Junhyung said to Min, when she stood up to greet them. “Thanks” She said, trying to hide the fact that her mood had change.

“Want to dance?” He asked her, extending his arm to her. “Sure” She said, smiling and taking his arm. Doojoon sat down in her seat and immediately noticed the silence. “Um, should I leave?” He asked, making Kevin sigh and shake his head. “No it’s not you” He mumbled. “Hm really? Then is it because Min seemed hesitant to go dance with her boyfriend?” Everyone looked at Doojoon surprised. Doojoon however wasn't looking at anyone and had begun to pick on the floral decoration in the middle of the table. “You noticed it too?” “Not just me, Junhyung too. Why do you think he’s been extra clingy towards her? He’s scared that one moment she's there and the next she's leaving him” “And would she be wrong?” Kikwang managed to let out, making Doojoon look at him, but not with a glare like he expected, more with a look of understanding. “I told him that if Min wasn’t happy by his side, he should let her go. He had a panic attack after that” Everyone’s eyes widened in concern, “He’s my best friend, but I care about Min too and I don’t like that he’s doing this to her, but the only that can do something about it, is Min” “You think her breaking up with him will help him?” Kikwang asked, making Dongwoon look at him in confusion. Yoseob was also looking back and forth between them.

“I think it will help her, Junhyung I don’t know. Maybe it will, but all I know is that Min has been by his side for years and it hasn’t help, if anything it might be getting worse. Something different has to be done” “Is that why you’ve been taking Junhyung to all these parties and senior events? He’s never gone unless he absolutely had to” Kevin asked. Doojoon leaned back and nodded, “I’ve been trying to make him realize that there’s more to life than Min and his mother’s control, but it hasn’t been working. I’ve only been providing a short getaway, but not tackling the real problem” Doojoon rubbed his eyes, “There’s a senior bonfire later on. I convinced Junhyung to go, telling him that in order to get permission for it, he had to be there. A lot of us are going, so he agreed. When we leave, make sure Min has a good time all right? I haven’t talked to her about Junhyung in a while, but I think I should, soon” Kevin nodded and patted his shoulder, “All right. Thanks” Doojoon gave them all a reassuring smile and stood up and then walked away.

“Okay, when they leave you distract her” Kevin told Kikwang, “I’ll handle the event so Min doesn’t stress out” “Right” Kevin nodded and got up to leave. Dongwoon looked at Kikwang suspiciously and then widened his eyes in realization. “It’s Min!” Yoseob and Kikwang turned to look at him, surprised by his outburst. “The girl who already had someone to go with! It’s Min huh?” Kikwang huffed and stood up, “Kevin, wait up!” He called out, not wanting to stay and explain things to Dongwoon. “Oh hell no, you’re telling me everything” Dongwoon said, standing up and leaving a confused Yoseob alone at the table. He ruffled his hair, “What the hell is going on?”

-

Kevin had said to distract Min after Junhyung left, but Kikwang had no idea what to talk about. It didn’t help that both Yoseob and Dongwoon were asked to dance by some of their classmates and left them alone at the table. Min had been nibbling on her bottom lip after she came back to sit with them. He didn’t talk to her so Dongwoon wouldn’t eye them, but now that they were alone, he felt the need to ask her what was wrong. He even went to sit next to her, “You okay?” “Doojoon told me he had to talk to me about Junhyung” She said without hesitation. She had a look of concern on her face and Kikwang knew she was assuming the worse.

“If it was serious, he would’ve talked to you now instead of asking to talk to you later” Kikwang reassured her, but Min wasn’t really listening. Her mind was running through every bad thing that could be happening with Junhyung. Kikwang sighed and looked over to the dance floor. “C’mon” He stood up, catching Min’s attention. “What?” “Let’s go dance” Min stared at the hand he was offering her. “What?” She repeated, making Kikwang rub his neck and grab hold of one of her hands, then pulled her up. He expected her to pull away, but she hadn’t, instead she tightened her hold on his hand. “What are you doing?” She asked when they reached the dance floor, “Distracting you” Kikwang answered and then dropped her hand.

The students around them were way too preoccupied jumping and swinging their bodies around that they didn’t notice Kikwang and Min staring at each other with such intensity. Min clenched her hands into fists and she could feel herself shake under his gaze. She wanted nothing more than to pull him towards her and just hold him until she wasn’t thinking of Junhyung, but as much as her body wanted to step closer, she stayed in her spot. Kikwang soften his gaze and took a step forward. Without grabbing her, he leaned forward and placed his lips on her forehead. Min closed her eyes and felt her eyes water as he let his forehead fall onto her shoulder, still without moving his arms from his side. “It kills me to see you like this” He said to her. 

Min immediately pushed him away and stalked out of the crowd. She ignored Kevin calling out to her and brushed past everyone until she was out of the hotel. She began going down the stairs when she heard Kikwang call out her name “Min!” She ignored him and didn’t stop. “Min, please!” She whirled around and glared at him with tearful eyes. “What!? What do you want now? Why are you doing this to me!?” She yelled, making Kikwang stop 3 steps from her. “Doing what?” Min wiped her tears, “Making this harder? I have to stay with Junhyung. He needs me, but you!” She went up the stairs until she was right in front of him and jabbed his chest with her finger. “But I want to be with you” She said through clenched teeth.

Kikwang's hands circled around her neck and pulled her towards him, covering her lips with his own. The kiss was soft, he wanted her to have the chance to pull away if she wanted to, but he couldn’t resist anymore. Min’s hands travelled to the side of his face and pressed herself closer to him, but then Kikwang pushed her back softly, breaking the kiss.

“I’m sorry,” he said, feeling guilty at feeling her hands shaking against his face. He had put her in the position he said he would never want to put her in. Min wrapped her arms around herself and shook her head repeatedly. “I’m sorry, Min” Kikwang said, swallowing the knot in his throat as he saw her so conflicted. “I have to save him,” She said, wiping her tears. Kikwang nodded and stepped back. Min looked up at him, “I’m sorry, Kikwang” He shook his head, pushing away the hurt he felt as she looked at him with sympathetic eyes. “I’m going to ask Dongwoon if he could give me a ride home,” She said, walking past him. Kikwang simply nodded, but didn’t move from his spot. He let out a breath and pulled on his hair in frustration. “Damn it!”

-

“Thanks for the ride. Sorry I made you leave early” Min told Dongwoon, who waved her off and then smiled at her. “What are friends for? I hope you feel better” “Me too. Thanks again” Dongwoon waved and drove off, leaving Min standing in front of her house. She sighed and zipped up her jacket before taking out her keys. She halted to a stop when she saw the door was open.

“Mom?” She called out, reaching for her phone and dialing 911, but refraining from pressing the green button. Min waited to hear noises, but when she didn’t, she walked to the living room where she saw one of the lamps on. She let out a sigh of relief and put away her phone when she saw Junhyung standing in front of the fireplace, holding a picture frame. 

“What are you doing here? Didn’t you leave with Doojoon?” She asked, dropping her bag on the couch and taking off her heels. Junhyung put down the frame that she had looked at hours ago when Kikwang was there. Min crossed her arms around her chest then she waited for an explanation. When he turned around to face her, Min felt her stomach drop. His eyes were bloodshot and he was clenching his hands tightly.

“Junhyung?” She said his name as her hands dropped to her side. Junhyung stared at her with an unreadable expression that Min began to panic. Junhyung swallowed and opened his mouth,

“I saw you with Kikwang”

-

Kikwang sighed and ran a hand through his hair as he waited for Dongwoon to get back from Min’s place. They had decided to leave the dance early and get something to eat instead. He jumped when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and when he took it out, he was surprised to see Min’s name on the screen.

“Hello?” Kikwang furrowed his eyebrows when he heard sniffling. “Min?” “He’s gone” He heard her broken voice, “Kikwang he’s gone” Kikwang felt his body go numb and his past memories began to cloud his head “Min? Talk to me" When he spotted Dongwoon’s car he ran towards it as fast as he could and jumped in way before Dongwoon pressed on the breaks. “Dude!” “Go to Min’s! Now!” He yelled, making Dongwoon jump in his seat, but he nodded and drove off. “Min? Tell me, are you okay? Please tell me you’re okay” Min sniffed and Kikwang heard her stifle a sob.

He's gone”  


So I've decided on how I want this story to end. I didn't know whether to make it a happy ending or a heart wrenching ending, or something in between and you won't find out until next chapter! I don't know if  the next chapter will be the last chapter just yet, but if it is, expect it to be long.

I had already revealed Min's past about her father, but since Kikwang didn't know and I never had her talk about it outloud or to someone else, I added it here and also added some amazingly supportive Doojoon too. Next chapter is going to be a big one. 

So what did you guys think? What was your favorite part?  What do you think is going to happen next?