Epilogue: Bittersweet

That Same Old Coffee Shop

Letting out a sigh, I watched as steam puffed upward from my cup of coffee. Today was another day where the teachers cram in lessons to "help" us prepare for the upcoming exam. I could barely keep up with what the teacher was saying or even writing on the board because the minute she finished writing a sentence, she would erase it without a second thought. Why don't the teachers plan out what they're going to lecture throughout the school year rather than just go by the flow? Suddenly my phone started vibrating on the table top, diverting my attention away from the puff.
A slight smile spread across my face at the sight of the name printed on my phone's screen. Without another second wasted, I slid a finger across the screen and placed the phone next to my ear. I cleared my throat and let his name slip from my lips, "Kyung,"
"Thank god you picked up!" He sighed in relief.
"What's up?"
"Are you busy right now?"
"I'm at the usual place," I replied and quickly asked, "what's going on?"
"Wait there ok? I want to meet up with you,"
I nodded to myself, "Ok, I'll wait here then."

Within a few minutes, Kyung appeared through the doors of the coffee shop. His eyes were quick to pinpoint my location and walked towards my table with his hands behind his back, smiling like an idiot.
I furrowed my brows and as soon as he stood before me, I asked, "What do you have behind your back?"
Kyung exhaled at my question and quickly presented me with a small bouquet of varied flowers. "As I was making my way here, I saw these and thought it be nice, so I bought them."
I nodded; my eyes were glued at the bouquet of flowers, "They're really nice,"
"I'm glad to hear that," Kyung moved the bouquet of flowers away from me and sat in the seat in front of me. "If you think they're nice, then she'll think they're nice, right?"

She? I repeated the word inside of my head, which I was then immediately hit with reality — the reality that the flowers were most likely for Seohyun. I cleared my throat and nodded to Kyung's question, "Seohyun will definitely enjoy this bouquet of flowers."
"Great," Kyung widened his smile, "I just wanted your input of whether or not it was cheesy to do."
I swallowed back a ball of spit and forced a smile onto my lips, "Are you meeting up with her today?"
"Yes," Kyung nodded, "actually, we're supposed to meet here."
"Here?" I asked. "Oh, I guess I should probably go then — "
"Why? Just stay and hang out with us," Kyung suggested. "We haven't hung out together in such a long time."
"Maybe next time," I shrugged as I gathered my things, "I actually have a lot to study tonight."
Kyung frowned, "We can study together,"
I shook my head and pulled the strap of my bag over my head, "I'll see you whenever,"
"I'll walk out with you then," Kyung stood up at the same time I did.
I sighed, "Fine."

Once we were outside of the coffee shop, I took a step away from Kyung and waved at him. Kyung took a step towards me and grabbed my hand, forcing me to stop. I furrowed my brows at his action and waited for him to say something, but he just stood there looking at me. Before I could ask him what was up, I noticed a familiar face from afar and pulled my hand from Kyung. "Looks like your girlfriend is coming; better hide that bouquet of flowers so you can surprise her."
Kyung cooed my name, "You sure you don't want to stay with us?"
"I'm sure," I nodded and forced a smile onto my lips to assure him.
"Then, will you call me later on?"
"You'll be busy," I simply answered and took another step away from Kyung, "have fun."
Kyung nodded and turned his back against me as Seohyun walked closer to him. I turned my back against them and continued walking without looking back, knowing that if I do look back, I would feel bittersweet about everything.

 

 


author's note: yaaaaaaay the fic is finally done! Thanks to everyone who read this & commented! I appreciate it a lot! yeah the ending was not... happy, but I gave a fair warning in my description that it would end bittersweet. I was just kind of done with the whole happy ending stuff and wanted something like this so mwahaha! lol anyways again thanks for reading!