Twelfth Cup

That Same Old Coffee Shop

The next day, afterschool Kyung, Seohyun, and I met up before the gates. We walked to Seohyun’s home while helping her carrying her books. Once we reached there, we spent about an hour doing our individual homework as her mother and maid cooked. Then after eating, we said our good-byes and departed from Seohyun’s home. Kyung walked me home—again.
As we walked, he talked about how Seohyun was helping him with his homework and all these other stuff. To be honest, I could care less about what they were doing together because once we arrived to my place, I was fully annoyed. I didn’t tell Kyung bye as I headed straight for the entrance of my home.

This kind of routine became too normal for the next few weeks as Kyung and Seohyun began to talk more to each other while Kyung and I started to see and talk to each other less. I missed hearing his voice and hearing him laugh at dumb things. Rather than trying to stop their relationship from forming, I was allowing it and every time that I resisted to stop it, my heart shrunk.

Then one day, Seohyun told me that she had some afterschool activity so she wouldn’t be able to hang out with us. On the outside I was feeling bummed that she wouldn’t be with us, but on the inside, I was dancing. I would get an afternoon with Kyung—alone.
Walking back to my seat, I took out my phone and sent Kyung a text that Seohyun wasn’t going to be able to hang out with us later on. He replied back by saying that she had told him this last night because they had called each other. I ignored that message and wrote back that we should do something together. He replied by saying that we should and he suggested that we go to the new bakery that had just recently opened. Putting my phone back into my pocket, I smiled happily and couldn’t wait for later on.

When the time came, I checked my phone and noticed that he had sent me a text saying that I should go there first because he had to do something. I replied back by saying that I will meet him there. So I made my way towards the bakery with a big smile on my face. How were we going to spend our afternoon together, I wondered? Once I got there, I entered in and walked towards an empty table, then sent Kyung a text that I was here. He replied back by saying that he was going to be late and I told him that it was okay.

After an hour, he was still not here. I told myself that maybe he was just very late, so I waited another hour. And another hour. And an extra 30 minutes before I came to terms that he wasn’t coming. Why exactly wasn’t he here? He told me that he was coming. Did he decide not to come because Seohyun wasn’t going to be here? Whatever the case, I exited the bakery and decided that I was going to the coffee shop to get myself a cup before heading home.

-

The next day, I entered into the classroom and immediately Seohyun greeted me with a smile. She pulled me to her desk and the smile on her face grew even wider. I furrowed my brows at her expression and asked, “What’s up?”
“Last night,” she began, “after I got done with my activities, I met Kyung and we... shared a kiss,”
My heart dropped at her comment. “You met Kyung last night?”
She nodded happily, “I wasn’t expecting to see him, but he said that he waited for me because he wanted to walk me home,”
“Oh really,” I answered, trying to process what she was telling me, but all I could say was another “Oh,”
“As soon as we arrived at my place, he surprised me with a kiss,”
“Oh, that’s… sweet,” I nodded and took a step back, “I think I’m going to head to my seat,”
She raised her brows, “Class hasn’t started yet though,”
“I need to finish a problem on one of our assignments,” I answered and walked back to my desk. My right hand clenched into a fist and I fought tears that were accumulating within my eyes. Kyung had left me to go and wait for Seohyun? He completely made a fool of me, making me think that we were going to have an afternoon together. I felt so foolish right now. I swallowed in the tears and kept a calm expression as I took out my folder.

Throughout the day, I kept getting messages from Kyung, but I ignored them. I didn’t want to know what he had to say to me, which I was sure that it had to do with something about last night. He was the last thing that I wanted to be bothered about.
Afterschool, I left the classroom early to avoid any conversations with Seohyun—or even Kyung—and, rather than heading to the coffee shop, I headed home.

For the rest of the week, I left class early and went straight home. The gap that I had with Kyung —which was once close to closing, immediately grew too far apart that nothing could bring it back together. I no longer tried to meet up with them or even get involved with what they were doing since my presence was useless.

-

One afternoon as I was walking down the hallway, I was stopped by Kyung. I rolled my eyes, “Get out of my way,”
“You haven’t been texting me,”
“Why should I?” I answered, “You have a girlfriend now,”
“You’re a close friend of mine,” he countered.
“When did I ever consider you a close friend of mine?” I answered and pushed him out of the way.
“You’re angry about something, aren’t you?”
I ignored him and kept walking. Could he be anymore dumb to not know the answer to his own question? Once I exited the building, I met Seohyun and awkwardly walked past her as if I didn’t see her. Similar to Kyung, ever since she told me that she had shared a kiss with Kyung and that he had asked her to be his girlfriend, I hadn’t talked to her. One reason was because I didn’t like the fact that she was Kyung’s girlfriend and the other was that I wasn’t particularly a close friend of hers either.

Seohyun called out my name, “Whatever I did to you, I'm really sorry about it.
I stopped walking and slightly turned to look at her, “You did nothing,"
"Then why have you suddenly started to ignore me?" She asked.
"I have more important things to think about," I simply answered. "And anyways, you have a boyfriend now, so your time and effort will obviously be focused on him, right?"
“Do you... like Kyung?” she asked firmly. When I don't answer her, she continued on with an explanation. “I saw it in your eyes back then — they way you would look at him and talk to him. You liked him,"
I rolled my eyes and exhaled annoyingly, “Who said that I liked him? He was just someone who needed help into getting you to like and fall for him. I helped him so my job is done,”
“You can’t lie to yourself like this,”
“You think you know me?” I countered, “I only became your friend because he asked me to. There’s nothing that the two of us had in common so why would I want to be your friend? You’re the new kid who got picked on and I helped because I felt bad.”
She clenched her left hand, “You’re tough but your heart must be weak,”
I scoffed, turned back around, and continued walking. Was I really going to get told that by someone like her? Just as I step foot out of the gate, my name was called by his voice very loudly from behind. I stopped in my tracks, which I questioned why I had did, but stood with my back facing him. I exhaled and continued to walk, ignoring Kyung’s call for my name. On the way home, I kept arguing with myself about why I was feeling like this. After those weeks of avoiding them, shouldn’t I feel indifferent rather than angry?

You like him. Seohyun’s words echoed my head.

Do I still have any feelings for the jerk? I shook my head in response, but my conscious mind had answered with a nod.

Once I was home, I found that my eyes were wet. Had I been crying on the way here? Quickly wiping away the tears, I entered into my home and greeted my mother with a yell and walked into my room without another notice.

Lying on my bed, I exhaled and felt pain pound in my heart as if telling me that I should have stayed to listen to what Kyung had to say. Then again, why was he clueless as to why I was acting this way? Sniffing back, my phone began to ringing annoyingly so I reached into my pocket to take it out. I wasn’t too surprised to see that it was Kyung who was calling me. He probably wanted to talk to me and try to understand why I was acting like this towards him. Clucking my tongue, I threw my phone to the side and got off of my bed. Was I really going to be like this just because Seohyun and Kyung are together now? Heck, I had been avoiding going to the coffee shop because I didn’t want to accidently meet them there and force myself to converse with them.

I should have expected this outcome when Kyung had told me to help him get Seohyun. Why did I let him pull me into this though? What was so compelling about him that I didn’t shrug him away like I would if someone else had asked me to do so? I let out an annoyed groan and kicked my bag in frustration. My phone vibrated, indicating that I had just received a text message. I walked back to my bed and saw Kyung’s name pop up with a notification. Though I should have ignored it, I tapped on the screen to open the message and read it to myself. “Meet me at the coffee shop at 6. Please.”

 


author's note; yeah i kind of sped things up... but i hope you enjoyed it!
@silverrinnie: yep! he's def a confident person; thanks for reading! I'll have to check out that video... soon lol
@chinguchan: mwahaha well i was successful at making you blush! lol you're welcome! thank you for reading!

 - somehow i have a feeling that replying to readers in the story is lame and i should reply in the comment section D: oh well lol