Fourth Cup

That Same Old Coffee Shop

Just like yesterday and the day before, Seohyun and I were the only two left in the classroom after class. As I was packing up my things, I heard Seohyun clear and I slightly looked up to see that she was facing me. I got off of the chair and slung my bag over my shoulder, waiting to hear what she had to say to me.
“Um,” she furrowed her brows, “thanks for earlier,”
“Oh, no problem,” I shrugged, “she always gets like that when it comes to Jihoon,”
“How did you know that I was with Park Kyung that day?” She asked.
“Oh, um, I saw you two leaving the classroom… sort of,” I replied and quickly rephrased, “I mean, the other day it was just you and me in here and I saw him come in here to carry your things, so I just kind of assumed it.”
She nodded at my comment, “Well, thanks,”
I nodded back, but before I could take a step forward, I found myself asking her a ridiculous question—one I didn’t think I would ever come to say. “Are you doing anything later on?”
“Anything later on?” she repeated my question and shook her head, “No,”
I forced a smile onto my lips, “Do you want to go to the coffee shop with me?”
“Coffee shop,” she paused before saying anything else, “you like coffee?”
“It’s an addiction that’s hard to stop,” I replied.
She smiled—a real sincere smile that I’ve never seen on her before. “Sure,”

I was blown away and confused at the same time.

“Great,” I answered, “um, do you want to head there now with me?”
“Sure,” she nodded and began to gather her things. Seeing that she had many notebooks and textbooks, I reached over to grab a couple of her books. “Thanks,” she cleared and stood up from her chair. We walked to the coffee shop together, making small talk here and there. As we walked into the coffee shop and headed towards my usual table, I felt a bit nervous having to sit here and talk to her. I barely knew the girl and she barely knew a thing about me.
Placing my bag on the table, I ped the top and searched for my wallet. “Do you want anything to drink?” I decided to ask, which she nodded and looked into her bag to fish out her own wallet. Since this was our first time to hang out, I quickly shook my head, “It’s okay, I’ll pay for you,”
“Are you sure?”
I nodded, “Of course,”

After ordering, I came back with two cups of hot Joe and set them on the table. Seohyun took hers and sipped, then immediately, she pulled her face away from the cup. I chuckled at her reaction, “You should probably wait a minute or two for it to cool down,”
“I’ll be sure to remember that next time,” she set her cup on the table.
“So,” I cleared my throat, “how do you know Kyung?” I decided to ask even though Kyung had already told me.
She took a moment or two to reply to my question, probably trying to think of the best way to answer it. “His father is friends with my father, though it was only this year that I met him.”
“Oh,” I nodded, “so you guys aren’t childhood friends then?”
She shook her head and asked me a question I wasn’t expecting to hear. “How do you know Kyung?”
“Huh,” I stiffened and thought for a while, “well, I don’t really.”
“Oh,” she answered, “I guess you just know his name because you guys have gone to the same school for a while then?”
“I guess you can say that,” I nodded my head from side-to-side.

For the next hour, we sipped on coffee and held on-going conversations for a few minutes before jumping into seconds of silence then back to talking. I had mostly asked her questions about school homework and whatnot; she rarely asked me anything, which doesn’t surprise me since I was sure she didn’t want to be my friend. As I slung the strap of my bag over my shoulder, the door of the coffee shop opens and Kyung entered in. I stiffened at the sight of him and wondered what the hell he was doing here when he said he wouldn’t come if I asked Seohyun to come here with me. Almost immediately he noticed me looking his way and smiled at me as if we were really good friends. I don’t return the smile and looked at Seohyun, “I’m going to head out first,”
She nodded, “Okay, have a safe walk home.”
Just as I slid out of the booth, Kyung had already walked over with his hands in his pockets. He shrugged his brows at me, “Seohyun, I didn’t know you were here with her,”
Seohyun looked over at Kyung and seemed surprised to see him here. “Kyung, what are you doing here?”
“Oh, I like to come here,” he answered, “looks like your friend is leaving though,” he looked at me.
“Yeah,” Seohyun nodded.
“You’re not going yet?”
“I will,”
“Do you want me to walk you home?”
She shook her head, “I can walk by myself,”
“But your bag looks awfully heavy,” he commented, “how about I help you along with her,” he grabbed my arm and pulled me to his side. “It’ll be lighter for you to carry,”
“Uh,” she looked at me which I shrugged.
“Its fine, I don’t mind,” I answered, forcing a smile onto my lips though inside I was fuming.

-

Idiot! I screamed inside of my head as I walked alongside Kyung and Seohyun, barely holding onto the amount of books Kyung had shoved into my hands. He practically gave me her whole bag of books to carry while he took only one and she took none. His reason was that since I drank a lot of caffeine I should have the energy to carry a heavy load. Of course I wanted to argue, but I didn’t because I didn’t want to look like an before Seohyun. She even offered to help me carry some, but Kyung quickly rejected her offer. The only thing that was going through my head as we walked were swear words towards Kyung. The ing bastard jerk of a—

“Finally we’re here,” Kyung interrupted my thoughts.
I stopped walking and turned the side, facing huge black steel gates. Taking a step back from the gates, I felt almost shocked to see that Seohyun came from such a wealthy home. Shouldn’t her parents have sent her to a private school where she would be more educated than a public school?
“Hey,” Kyung yelled, penetrating through my deep thought, and waved at me, “are you just going to stand there until your arms fall apart?”
I rolled my eyes and quickly walked towards them, but suddenly, my foot had a misstep and I found myself flying forward. I was sure that I was going to fall flat on my face, but instead I fell into the arms of Kyung while two to three of the textbooks fell out of my arms and onto the ground.
“Geez, watch where you’re walking next time won’t you?”
I scoffed, pulled myself away from Kyung, and pushed Seohyun’s bag of books into his hands. “You take this!” Anger seethed through my teethes, “I am not your servant!” I turned around and began to make my way out of the gates. I had wasted my time coming here when I could be at home and doing something else.