Third Cup

That Same Old Coffee Shop

Rather than enjoy my peaceful time at the coffee shop, my time was wasted by answering every question Kyung had for me. I should have just stayed home to avoid meeting this guy. Everything he asked me pertained to my personal life, which I don’t feel comfortable telling him since I don’t know the guy very well. By the time I had had enough of staying at the coffee shop, my drink had gone cold. I barely got to sip any of it thanks to this guy. As Kyung rambled on about some stupid question, I packed my things, ignoring whatever he was saying to me.

“You’re leaving?” He stopped mid-sentence to ask.
I nodded, “It’s late,”
“Oh really?” He took his phone from his pocket and checked the time. “What do you know, we spent an hour here just talking,”
I scoffed at his comment, “More like you couldn’t keep your mouth shut for two seconds.” I slung my bag over my shoulder and slid towards the edge of the seat.
Before I stood up, Kyung cleared his throat, “Do you want me to walk you home?”
“No thanks,” I shook my head and stood up, “I live only 5 minutes or so away from here,”
“Oh,” he nodded, “well, then, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then,”
“What makes you think we’ll be seeing each other tomorrow?”
He smiled, “Well, I’ll see you at school then right after school, we’re going to meet up here right?”
I frowned, “Who said I was going to meet up with you here?”
“Me,” he chuckled, “you look like you could use a friend,”
“Well, I don’t need one.”
“Come on,” he slid towards the edge of the booth, “the more we hang out together, the more we get to know each other and soon we’ll be friends.”
“I told you that I have my own set of friends,”
“So do I but like I said, it’s no harm to make new friends,”
I sighed and said the next couple of words on a whim, “You’re dating Seohyun, aren’t you?”
He laughed amusingly at my question, “Dating Seohyun? Why would you suspect that I am dating her?”
“Because you walked into our classroom yesterday to help her carry her things like as if you knew her,” I answered, “someone from another classroom wouldn’t come to another just to help someone carry their things unless they know each other.”

He sighed and leaned back, “Seohyun and my parents know each other, hence the reason why she had to move here. I was only trying to be the good son of her parent’s friends.” He explained.
“Do you like her?” I asked without hesitation.
He smiled and it almost looked like he was blushing, which gave me enough proof that he does like her.
“So you do then,” I said matter-of-factly, “well, if you hang out with me too much, I’m sure she’s going to get the wrong idea.”
“But I want to hang out with you,” he countered, “I get this feeling that you’re a very lonely person and I want to make you feel like you’re wanted.”
I stiffened at his comment, but quickly shook my head. “I don’t need any of those feelings,” I stood up from the booth and walked away from him.


-

The next day, as I walked into the classroom, I couldn’t help but look over at Seohyun. Funny how I didn’t know her name until Kyung told me. Heck, I don’t think anyone in this room knew what her name was since she never really said anything in class. Before I reached my seat, however, I was suddenly dragged out of the classroom and back into the hallways. Turning around, I was furious to see who it was that dared to pull me out of the classroom; and the instant that I do, I no longer found it a surprise to see that it was Kyung. I jerked my hand from him, which he only tightens his grasp on me.
“Let go,” I struggled, “I’m trying to go to class!”
He exhaled and pushed me against the wall, “I just wanted to talk with you, but with you struggling like this, I might have to an extra measure to make sure you won’t make a scene.”
I widened my eyes at his comment and stopped trying to defy him.
He smiled as soon as I relaxed, “Good. How was your walk home last night, huh?”
“Fine, I guess,” I answered.
“When do you usually get here?”
“About this time,”
“Do you walk here?”
“What other choice does it look like I have?”
He clucked his tongue at my tone, “I’m only curious,”
“Why don’t you just let me go so I can go to class?” I gritted through teethes.
“Because I want to request you to do something for me,”

“Request?”
He nodded, “Why don’t you become Seohyun’s friend? She’s really lonely in that class and I’m sure she’d love it if someone in the class would talk to her,”
“She’s a new student,” I stated, “if I were to suddenly talk to her, she would obviously assume that I only want something from her—and that doesn’t mean that she’ll think I want to be her friend.”
He shook his head at my comment, “Nah, Seohyun isn’t like that. If you approach her with sincerity, she’ll more than likely take your sincerity and be your friend.”
“How do you know that?”
“How else do you think I got her to let me carry her things?”
“Then why don’t you just go talk to her and be friendly with her?” I pushed Kyung away from me, “I shouldn’t have to follow your orders because you like her and want to get to know her through me.” I snickered at him before going back to my classroom.
Before I entered the classroom, Kyung quickly said, “Well if you do ask her to hang out with you then I won’t be there to bother you at the coffee shop,”

I ignored him and walked in. Sheesh, he thinks he can just order me around because we had spent an hour together yesterday? I scoffed and sat down in my desk, feeling annoyed and bothered by Kyung’s request. Unfortunately, I found myself looking back at Seohyun and thought about approaching her. No! I shook my head at the thought. She looked someone who doesn’t want to be bothered by anyone in the classroom.

Just as I looked away, Seohyun’s name was called by a classmate, retracting my attention back to her. I furrowed my brows, surprised to see that it was actually a friend of mine. Why did she call out Seohyun’s name? I wondered and watched to see what else she’ll ask of Seohyun.
“The other day I saw you talking to Jihoon,” she began, “what’s up with that? Are you dating him?” She asked, crossing her arms. Oh great, I shook my head at the sudden mention of Jihoon’s name. Jihoon was somewhat her boyfriend and if she were to ever catch him talking to another girl or if anyone in the classroom dared to speak to him, she’d bring havoc. “So? What is going to be your excuse huh?”
Seohyun looked up at my friend and shrugged, “I don’t know what you’re talking about,”
She clucked her tongue at Seohyun’s answer, “Don’t lie! I saw you two days ago with him!”
“Two days ago,” she mumbled the words and it looked like she was rewinding her memory in her head, looking for what my friend had demanded. She clenched her fist, “T-That, I was actually with someone else and just happened to bump into Jihoon.”

“Hear her stutter?” She turned to her friends, “How could you be with someone else when you were alone with Jihoon?”
“He had left to go somewhere really quick—”
“Liar,” she cut Seohyun off, “I swear I will—”
Unconsciously my lips moved on their own and interrupted my friend from continuing her sentence. “Seohyun was with a friend that day and had bumped into Jihoon.” Suddenly everyone’s eyes turned to look at me, surprised that I had spoken up. I swallowed back a lump in my throat and began to immediately regret the fact that I decided to stand up for Seohyun.
My friend looked over at me with a raised brow, “You saw?”
“Yeah,” I nodded, controlling the slight tremble that heard in my voice. It wasn’t like I was scared of my friend, but the fact that she was my friend and I was defending somebody else was the problem. “She was with…” I paused to think of someone she could have been with and immediately one name came to mind. “Park Kyung from room B-4,”
“Park Kyung,” she repeated the name and seemed to recognize it. She turned back to look at Seohyun and asked, “You know Park Kyung?” Seohyun sat there frozen, unable to nod her head. I looked right at her and motioned my head in a nod for her to copy.
She slowly nodded her head in reply, “He’s… a friend,”
“Hm, well,” she took a step back from Seohyun, “sorry for bugging you about it then,”

I sighed in relief and shook my head, wondering what the hell I was doing.