Eleventh Cup

That Same Old Coffee Shop

“Seohyun,” I called out and ran towards her in the hallway, “hey,”
Seohyun turned to look at me and smiled, “Oh, hi,”
“Did you just arrived here too?”
She nodded, “I’m guessing you did too,”
“Yeah,” I nodded back and cleared my throat, “so how was your weekend—other than the part about going to the aquarium?”
“It was nice,” she answered, “I’m sorry about what happened at the aquarium though,”
I waved a hand in opposition, “Nah, don’t worry too much about it,” I smiled and quickly proceeded to ask her, “So, if you aren’t doing anything later on, you should hang out with me.”
“Really?” She asked surprisingly.
I nodded, “I mean, if you don’t mind to of course,”
She shook her head, “I would love to,”
“Great,” I said as we entered into the classroom.

Afterschool, I waited on Seohyun and we made our way out of the school to go to the coffee shop together. We walked in silence there, but it wasn’t anything awkward rather it was almost comforting. Once we arrive there, we ordered first then went to go sit at my usual spot. Seohyun placed her heavy bag onto the table and settled into the chair with a smile on her face.
I do the same—minus the heavy bag—and sipped on my drink.
“How was your walk home with Kyung the other day?” Seohyun asked.
I shrugged, “It was fine, I guess,”
She smiled, “I’m so sorry about what happened the other day. I feel like maybe if I—”
“It was all me,” I cut her off, waving a hand, “if I had watched where I was going then that wouldn’t have happened,”
“So,” she hesitated to ask her next question, “is it okay for me to ask if you’re afraid of water?”
I nodded, “It’s fine; I had a traumatic incident happen when I was younger so I’ve always avoided pools or anything of the likes.”
“Oh, I’m sorry,”
“I’m fine though,” I forced a smile onto my lips and decided to change the subject, “so, are you dating anyone at the moment?”
Immediately her face light up in surprise and she let out a nervous chuckle, “N-No,”
“No,” I repeated, “that didn’t sound too confident,”
“Well,” she relaxed her face muscles, “I do… admire someone,”
“Who?” I asked in surprise, “If you don’t mind me asking,”
She shook her head, “He’s—”

My name was suddenly called, interrupting Seohyun from answering my question. I turned my head to the side and was surprised to see Kyung walking towards us. Somehow, he looked really different today than he did the other day. Could it be that he got a haircut? No, there was nothing different about his hair. As soon as Kyung was right beside me, he placed a hand onto my shoulder as if it were something I was used to.
“What a surprise to see you here, Seohyun,”
Seohyun nodded, “I didn’t know you come here also Kyung,”
“This is where I usually come to meet up with her,” Kyung patted my shoulder.
“You guys are close now,” she stated much rather questioned.
“I guess you could say that,” I mumbled and shrugged Kyung’s hand off of my shoulder. “I wasn’t expecting to meet you here today, Kyung.” I turned to look at him with questionable eyes.
He chuckled and bend on his knees to look at me at eye level, “I thought I said I was going to be late coming here,”
I raised a brow at his comment; he never mentioned anything about this to me. “Okay, well, what are you going to do now? I’m with Seohyun,”

“Can’t I join you guys?”
Seohyun nodded, “I don’t mind,”
“Fine,” I replied.
Kyung patted my shoulder, “Aren’t you going to scoot over so I can sit next to you?”
“Next to me?” I questioned, glancing up at Kyung to see him shrugging his brows at me. “Okay,” I said under my breath and scooted my body to the side as Kyung settled himself next to me. As Kyung began to talk, my heart was fluttering uncontrollably at the feel of his shoulder next to mine and his leg slightly touching mine. Was I seriously going crazy now? My hands were clenched under the table and on my lap. My mind was unable to render what Seohyun and Kyung were saying to each other and it was all because Kyung was sitting next to me. It was too late for me to deny the uprising of my feelings towards him. I couldn’t breathe whenever I saw him nor am I able to even think. Slightly looking at him, I noticed that his attention was only on Seohyun though. I was hoping to see him shift his attention towards me, but he didn't look away from her.

Then again, was I really expecting him to look at me? He made his feelings clear: he likes Seohyun. But there could be a way to make him change his feelings, right? Humans have the ability to fall for others, so maybe if I could just make him lean his feelings towards me a little—No! I mentally shook my head at the thought. Why was I even thinking of this? No.
But if I had to actually admit it to myself, I was really beginning to fall for him. When did I start to have these feelings towards him? After the kiss, probably. Or maybe even earlier—when I had first met him? I shook my head. It couldn’t have been that early. But whatever the case, I wish that he would just look at me.

As if he had read my mind, Kyung turned his head my direction and smiled. “You’re being quiet,”
I shook my head, “I-I’m not,” I replied, “just listening to you two talk, that’s all,”
“Should we talk about something that includes you too then?”
“Nah,” I waved a hand, “you guys go on ahead and talk,”
Kyung leaned his shoulder against mine, “Hey, you’re here, so we should talk about something that the three of us can converse about,” he furrowed his brows and whispered, “without you, the two of us would feel awkward,”
“Right,” I mumbled and cleared my throat while trying to think of something that the three of us could relate to. “What’s your favorite food?” I dumbly asked.
Seohyun placed a finger onto her lower lip and thought, “I think it would have to be my mother’s curry noodle soup,” she smiled, “she makes the best!”
“Really,” Kyung leaned towards the table, “why haven’t you invited us over to try some then?”
“Oh,” Seohyun’s brows perked up, “do you guys want to come by tomorrow after school then?”
“Yeah,” Kyung answered and looked at me, waiting for me to answer.
“Um,” I pursed my lips, “sure,”
“Great,” Kyung chirped, “let’s meet up afterschool before the gates and head towards Seohyun’s together,”

After spending an hour or so at the coffee shop, we decided that it was time to go. Seohyun called a cab to take her home since her bag was so heavy and she didn’t want to trouble us by making us walk home with her. Kyung and I watched as Seohyun got into the cab and the cab driving away from us. With a sigh, I turned to look at Kyung and saw that he had turned to look at me too. There was suddenly a moment of silence as we just looked into each other’s eyes as if waiting for someone to say something.
Breaking away from his eyes, I cleared my throat, “I best be going,”
“I’ll walk you home,” Kyung said and began to walk.
I furrowed my brows and walked beside Kyung, “Why are you walking me home?”
“I can’t?” He questioned, looking at me.
I shook my head, “I mean, don’t you want to get home early?”
“Nah,” he answered, “I don’t have much to do at home anyways.”
“Don’t you have dinner with your parents or something?”
He laughed blandly at my question, “My parents are rarely home, so I have dinner by myself or sometimes I just go out with friends.” He answered.
“Oh,” without thinking about my next question, I asked, “do you want to have dinner with me and my family tonight?” The words slipped from my lips so easily that my heart was already beginning to race within my ribcage.
“Really?” Kyung breathed out, “Well, if your parents don’t mind,”
I shook my head, “No, they don’t mind at all. In fact, I guess you could say that would be a bit happy that I finally bring a friend home.”
“Wouldn’t they think I was your boyfriend though?”
“No,” I answered—a bit too quickly. “I mean, maybe, but if I just tell them that you’re a friend, then it should be fine.”
He chuckled and suddenly placed his hand on top of my head to mess my hair. I frowned, moved away from him, and fixed my hair as we walked. Though I was frowning on the outside, on the inside, I couldn’t be any happier that we were getting this kind of time together.

Once we arrived and entered into my home, I called out, “I’m home,”
“Welcome home,” my mother called back and walked out of the kitchen. She froze at the sight of Kyung, “Who’s that?”
“He’s a friend,” I answered, “I invited him for dinner,”
“Ah,” my mother nodded and forced a smile onto her lips, “well, I hope you enjoy what we will be having then,”
Kyung nodded, “Thank you,”

Suddenly my brother appeared before us. He fixed his glasses and looked at Kyung skeptically, “You’re the guy who fixed my bike, right?”
Kyung nodded, “Right,”
“Nice job,” he raised a thumb, “I rode it to school without a problem,”
Kyung chuckled and raised his thumb, “I’m glad to hear that,”
“So I guess you coming over means that you’ve officially started dating my sister, right?”
I choked on air at his question and quickly shook my head in opposition, “He’s just a friend, nothing else,”
My brother smirked, “Okay, fine,”
I rolled my eyes, “Come on,” I said and walked towards my room.

Closing the door, I turned around and found Kyung looking at my pictures on the walls. I walked towards him and stopped to stand beside him. He was smiling as his eyes looked at each individual picture.
“You looked really cute when you were young,” he said and turned to look at me, “I mean, you still are cute but with more... maturity.”
I stiffened at his comment and looked the other way, “So, uh, what was with the sudden show-up?”
“I don’t know,” he answered, “I just got so used to coming there to meet you that when I entered in, I had no other choice but to walk towards you guys,”
“I see,” I nodded and turned to look at him. “By the looks of it, it looks like she’s really into you,”
“You think so?”
I nodded, “Her smile seemed really relaxed and, well, her eyes were on you the entire time,”
He chuckled, “That’s only because you barely contributed to our conversation,”
“I kind of spaced out,”
He clucked his tongue and placed a hand on my head, “Don’t space out,”
I moved back to remove his hand from my head, “I can if I want to,” I answered. “And, anyways, I feel like I don’t even need to be there since the two of you were fine talking,”
“Nah,” Kyung shook his head, “like I said earlier, I only felt comfortable because you were there with us—and I’m sure that Seohyun feels the same way. Without you, the two of us wouldn’t have much to talk about,”
“But you walk her home every day and you even have her number,”
He nodded, “Yeah, but while we walked home, she would usually keep quiet.”
“Well, I still don’t see the point for me to be there,”
“You don’t needs to see the point,” he answered, “you should just know that you being there makes everything better,”

“Hah,” I cleared my throat and walked over to my bed to sit on it.
Kyung crossed his arms, “You know, I think it’s really brave of you to just invite a guy over to your house, especially to your room alone.” He walked towards me and sat on the empty space next to me. “Are you trying to signal something—for say, friends with benefits?”
“W-What?” Before I could say another word, Kyung had pulled me down onto my bed. He was still beside me, but his arm crossed over my body. I swallowed back, “What are you doing?”
He chuckled and leaned his head inward, “Geez, if I knew that you wanted this kind of relationship, I probably wouldn’t have asked you to help me get Seohyun,”
“I-I’m not,” I shook my head; my eyes widened in confusion to the sudden situation. “I don’t want that kind of relationship with you,” I said, but he was already moving his head closer to me—to the point where I could feel his hot breath on my skin. “K-Kyung,”
“We could just have a tiny bit of fun before dinner you know,” he whispered into my ear.
“What?” I breathed out. His hand was placed on my cheek and his lips was nearing closer towards mine. My body froze, disabling me from stopping him—then again, another part of my mind was telling me I should let this happen. But I pushed back that thought and forced out, "Stop,"
Kyung chuckled and removed his hand from my face, “I was only kidding,”
“You—” I sat up and punched his shoulder, “jerk!”
“Ow,” Kyung rubbed his shoulder and sat up as well, “that hurt,”
“Don’t do something like that!” I punched him once more and got off of my bed.
“I just wanted to make sure you weren’t fusing some feelings for me,” he smiled, “if that were to happen, I don’t think our plan would be very successful.”

I swallowed back hard at his comment and frowened, “I-I think I hear my mom say something about the food being ready,” I walked towards my door and headed out.


After dinner, I walked out of the house with Kyung.

“Thanks for dinner,” he smiled, “it was nice seeing your family be all ‘family,’”
I nodded, “Have a safe walk home,”
“I’ll see you tomorrow,”

 


author's note; double update! well i might consider updating the rest because there's only 14 chapters... so another update tmr and so on.
@HarooVIP: aww ;-; you're too sweet! thanks for reading!