Blue's Story

Collision

 

          It was always the same—no one liked a girl without double eyelids. No one liked a bi-racial girl. She was only half Korean. She was only half a person in their eyes. Her unusual eyes and her unusual name made her an alien. That was what they called her. She was a fat, ugly alien. She was taller and thicker than the other girls; not overweight, just bigger than the average. That was only worse in training when the rest of the girls were dieting, like short, tiny children and Blue was the only real lady.

          When she walked into the Hot Spot Coffee Shop to apply for the job as a barista, the manager assumed she did not speak Korean at all.

          “Can help you?” She stared at him. “Want coffee?”

          “I’m here to apply for a job, actually,” she said in Korean, and he looked mildly surprised. She introduced herself as Hyori Wang, though her family called her Blue.

          “Funny, Hyori is a Korean name.”

          She knew very well it was a Korean name. She faced this often. If she didn't need the job, then she would have snapped at him. Instead, she smiled and explained her heritage like she did every other time. Her mother was American. Her father was Korean. She was born in Korea. She has lived in Korea her entire life. She was a Korean girl with an unconventional English name.

          Eventually he hired her. He did, however, refuse to call her "Blue."

          She hated her job. She did not mind serving coffee to most people. She did hate serving coffee to the same people who threw blue paint on her because they thought it would be funny. Or the people who wanted to see if the alien had gills by holding her under water at her swimming classes. Or the people who tried to strangle her until her face turned Blue. Or the people who wanted to beat the Korean out of her. Or the people who wanted to chance her and her "dirty, filthy family" to America.

          To be fair, not everyone hated her. She had friends, though many of them abandoned her to avoid being bullied themselves. She did not blame them. For the most part, she wanted to be alone anyway.

          Blue was always in trouble for fighting. A punch to the face. A kick to the stomach. Head locks and arms bent behind their backs. Cries and screams of pain. Broken noses and missing teeth. Detentions, community service, expulsions. None of it was compared to the looks of scorn her mother got. She promised herself she would make it stop.

          Idols had influence like no other.

          She met Jaehyun at auditions for Academy Ent. He was doing a dance tutorial that all had to learn and perform for judges, for heads of the company, and for trainers of all kinds. The dance was a piece of cake, and she was the only one who thought so because when Jaehyun circled around to help, he looked amazed. He watched her when they performed it. The other people auditioning called her a "fat cow" to make themselves feel better.

          At the first day of training, no one talked to her. At their break, no one approached her except Jaehyun. When they dyed her hair blue, he complimened it. "I like it. Not because of your name, but because it's original." She told him about her family, about her and her mother's struggles. She told him about her goal to tell everyone that just because she was biracial, because she was half-Caucasian, that gave them no right to look down on her because she will be the best. He called her brave.

 

          No one questioned by Dongwoon's face was red. For once, no one knew anything. Her band mates mentioned nothing about it. Dongwoon seemed to have forgotten about it and was back to his usual, sending her incoherent messages that really made no sense, sending her coherent messages that made her wonder what the hell was going on in his head, picture messages of his face and every facial expression he could make, and making conversation. She did not see Style X around. They left to promote in Japan, so that left her with the ease of mind that she would not have to see him for some time.

          Blue and Dongwoon at on a park bench, disguised as best they can, drinking coffee and relaxing. Summer was approaching and it was warm and sunny. They shared earphones, listening to music, when A. Drenaline's song "Alone" came on. She smirked and glanced at him and he lifted his head from her shoulder. "You listen to us?"

          He nodded and smirked. "A little bit, yeah. It's cute and y and really nice to hear."

          "Did you know I wrote that song?"

          "No, did you really?"

          "Yeah, it was one of the songs I wrote while I was in training."

          "Who did you write it about?"

          "What?"

          He paused the song. "Well it says, 'I want to get you alone. Just you and me alone.' Who was it about? Or were you dreaming about me even back then?"

          She laughed and shook her head. "There was a guy in training that I used to like. It was a while ago. He's gone now. He was cut from the company a while ago."

          "Well I'm glad he's out of the way." He put his arm around her.

 

          She walked into the A. Drenaline dorm, tired and ready to sleep until she heard a giggle. When did Minah ever giggle? She kicked off her shoes and stepped into the living room, freezing at the sight. He sat between Minah and Angel, as sleek and attractive as he has ever been. He looked up with big brown eyes, a big smile, and said, "Hello there, Hyori."

          "...Hoya?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my attempt to trick, I tossed in INFINITE'S HOYA. I don't have this planned out, so it's just going with the flow. Leave comments please please please because I dunno where to go from here. Hm. And if I know people are reading, I'll want to update faster.