A New Boyfriend

Collision

 

          A. Drenaline returned to their dressing room backstage, already beginning to remove microphones and batteries. Blue settled in front of her mirror, removing makeup when she noticed a red light flashing on her phone. It was a missed call from a number that she did not recognize. Whoever called did not leave a message, but they did however send a text as well.

Blue, this is dongwoon. can you call me back? ^^

          She called the number, listening to the rings before the deep-voiced maknae of B2ST answered. “Yeoboseyo?”

          She smiled even though he couldn’t see. “Sunbae, you wanted me to call you? Sorry I missed your call earlier, I was on stage.”

          “Ah ne, I forgot that when I called, so I sent you a text message. Are you free Saturday?”

          “I think so. Wae?”

          “Do you want, uh, to go to the amusement park with me?”

          Ah, so that was why he called. Hara made sure that Blue listened to the radio show that B2ST was on, when Hyunseung said she was not even remotely his type, when Dongwoon said she was his type, and when Hyunseung practically gave Dongwoon permission to take her out. Was this a date?

          She was taking too long to answer. “Sure, I can go. I’ll meet you at your dorm, okay?”

          Well, she was going on a date with Son Old Man, the foreign-looking maknae from B2ST whom she knew practically nothing about. What was he like? Would it be a fun date? Would he make her do all the talking? Would he want to ride everything? Would this all be in the press?

          She changed out of her stage clothes and kept quiet, thinking about the impending date that could potentially help or hurt her newfound career as an idol. None of the others noticed her silence or her thoughtful expression, even back at the dorm when, instead of watching shows, she retreated to her room.

 

 

          Blue took one last look in the mirror. Her first date was with an idol. Sure, she met idols a lot recently, but to go on a date with one, it felt strange. Getting dressed, she tried not to be too cute nor too y yet just her. After six clothing changes, she settled on a white and black polka dot tank top, a black pleated skirt, and a long black sweater with her favorite white boots. She curled her blue hair. She decided to pass on makeup.

          As she left the A. Drenaline dorm, she ran into Style X, who had just arrived to their dorm from a schedule. He waved, as did Chinhwa and Minwoo, and then approached. She could see the dark bags under his eyes. He wasn’t sleeping. She gave him an awkward smile. They had barely talked in the weeks since she arrived drunk at his doorstep. He still had not told her all that she said in her drunken stupor, and every time he looked at her, she felt nervous and slightly uncomfortable.

          “Hyori-ya~ Long time, no talk,” he said, forcing a smile.

          She twirled the curl of her hair and nodded. “Ne, I’ve been busy. I have to focus more on work and with the new single and upcoming full album, we have to work harder and stay focused. There are commercial films and now they want me to do a drama.”

          He continued with his forced smile. “You will do well. Where are you going now?”

          Should she be honest? She has been working hard, but every idol is allowed fun sometimes, right? Just because she is being watched all the time does not mean she has to stop her life. Jaehyun has been her closest friend since training. The least she could do was be honest with him, no matter how weird things were. “I have a date… I think.”

          Jaehyun’s smile vanished. “A date? With Hyunseung?”

          She shook her head. “Ani, with Dongwoon.”

          He nodded. “You really like the B2ST guys, huh?”

          Her eyes widened in shock. “What is that supposed to mean?”

          “Nothing,” he said, shrugging and shuffling on his feet. “It’s just that ever since B2ST came along, Style X has seen nothing of you. I can’t remember the last time we had a movie night or a party or anything—”

          “I’ve got to get going,” she interrupted. “I don’t want to be late. Sorry I don’t have time for you, Jaehyun. I have schedules now that require a lot of time and concentration.” With that, she rushed to the stairwell.

 

 

          Junhyung answered the door and gave a brief nod before vanishing into the kitchen. She could hear the voices of Kikwang and Yoseob in the living room and she stood in the doorway awkwardly until Doojoon shouted, “Blue!” He glanced into their bedroom and shouted, “Dongwoon, come on.”

          Out from the bedroom stepped Hyunseung with a small, pretty girl with long dark hair and big brown eyes. She had a cute round face, and she was dressed in small jean shorts and a large white shirt. Hyunseung’s eyes widened more than Blue thought was possible and he gestured to Blue.

          “JungAh, this is Blue. Blue, this is JungAh.”

          Her big brown eyes narrowed. “Ah, the girl who hit when you were driving. Annyeong.”

          Blue smiled. “I actually stepped in front of his car. It was my fault.”

          “Hm, then I guess you should stay out of oppa’s way then?”

          Oppa? Ah, Hyunseung likes this kind of girl?

          Hyunseung cleared his throat. “Blue, why are you here?”

          “Ne, why are you here, Blue?” JungAh added.

          She was exceptionally annoying with her vicious brown eyes and high pitched voice. She was shorter and thinner too. Blue could crush her. Instead of giving in to anger, she folded her arms and leaned against the wall. “I’m waiting for Dongwoonie.”

          JungAh smiled triumphantly. “Good. Well, oppa, I’ve got to get going. I have an exam tomorrow. You know, because I’m studying to be a doctor.” She flipped her hair and glanced back at Blue, who was already thinking of what it would be like to push her down a flight of stairs.

          “Ah, geurae?” Blue asked, sarcastically, ready to snap back until Dongwoon stumbled into the hallway. He towered over Hyunseung with bleached blond hair, small brown eyes, and foreign features. He was thin and lanky, dressed in black skinny jeans, a plain white v-neck tee shirt, and a brown leather jacket. What was with B2ST and leather? She had to admit, he looked cute and much older than he really was.

          He smiled. “Are you ready to go?”

          She returned the smile, nodded, and headed towards the door. Dongwoon called out a, “Bye, hyung,” before following her. He rested his hand on his around and smiled. “Off to the amusement park we go, right?” She nodded and they entered the elevator.

          “I was surprised you called, Dongwoonie. I didn’t expect you to ask me out, especially after all this stuff with Hyunseung.”

          He nodded. “I actually wasn’t going to, but the hyungs forced me to call.” He paused for a moment and said, “Not that I didn’t want to! I just don’t normally ask girls out on dates and I was scared you were going to say no.” Then he got quiet.

          Blue turned to face him and shook her head. “I heard the radio interview when Hyunseung told you to take me out and how you said I was your ideal type. I still didn’t think you would. I don’t understand how a girl who walks into oncoming traffic and gets caught hugging onto an idol while drunk can be your ideal type.” He almost responded but she grinned and said, “But if that’s what you go for, all the power to you!”

          He pointed to her shirt and said, “Blue, you have something on your shirt—”

          She glanced down and he tapped her nose. She gaped. “That is so cheesy! You can’t do that!” She hit him and he laughed.

          “So, should I call you Blue or Hyori? Because I’ve heard just about everything under the sea.”

          She shrugged. “Whatever you want, most of my close friends call me Hyori, but everyone knows me as Blue. I don’t mind.”

          The elevator door opened and he said, “I’ll call you Misu because you have a beautiful smile.” Her cheeks burned as she followed him out of the elevator and into the parking lot.

 

 

          When they arrived at the amusement park, Blue was grinning. They spent the entire car ride belting every song on the radio including their own. And now that their throats were slightly hoarse, they climbed out of the car and headed inside.

          Blue watched a rollercoaster wiz by as Dongwoon handed her pink cotton candy. He smiled, content with himself, and said, “I figure you’re sick of blue jokes already.”

          He was right, she was. She cocked a brow. “Then why do you have blue?”

          He broke off a piece of his own blue cotton candy and ate it. “Everyone knows blue cotton candy is the best.”

          Together they sat on a bench and ate. Blue asked, “How come you don’t go on dates often?”

          “I don’t know. I never really found anyone I wanted to ask.”

          She sighed. “I’ve never been on a date either.”

          “Why not?”

          “I’ve always been busy working or training. When I was younger, I used to get bullied a lot because I was only half-Korean. So as a result, I started fighting a lot. Now, people are scared of me or I’m too busy and no one wanted to take me out. I used to like someone, but he said he only likes girls with double eyelids and brown eyes.”

          He frowned. “That’s not nice. Do you still get into fights?”

          She shook her head. “No, I’m an idol now so I have to be careful. I don’t like fighting.”

          Dongwoon shrugged. “I’ve never been a fight. I never had to fight.”

          She laughed and said, “You’re too sensitive to fight.” He went back to eating his cotton candy.         “So, are you one of those people who are afraid of rollercoasters? Or will we be riding everything here?”

          Dongwoon thought for a moment and grinned. “Ne, but we can’t scream because we have to sing later.”

          She stood and grabbed his hand. “Then, don’t scream, Woonie.” She pulled him towards the closest rollercoaster.

 

 

          They stood in the cotton candy line one last time. This time, she bought him the pink cotton candy and she bought herself the blue. They walked away and he raised his brow. “Why are you eating the blue one?”

          She ate and piece and shrugged. “Everyone knows blue cotton candy is the best.”

          Together they walked back to the car. “That was fun, but I don’t think the hyungs will be too happy with me. I have a sore throat.”

          “That’s because you wouldn’t stop screaming,” she responded.

          He rolled his eyes and laughed. “Ani!”

          “Today was great,” Blue said once Dongwoon was driving. “I thought you would be really weird and boring, but you weren’t boring.”

          “What about weird?”

          “You’re definitely weird, Woonie.”

          “I’m weird but you have blue hair?”

          She stuck her tongue out. “I hate my blue hair. I was going to dye it back one of these days.”

          With one hand on the wheel, he ran his free hand through her blue hair and smiled. “I think you should dye it light brown. Or cotton candy pink.”

          She ran a hand through his hair. “Hm, or I could dye it blond and we could be one of those matching couples,” she joked.

          “Misu, I don’t want to be a matching couple with you.”

 

 

          Jaehyun stifled a yawn and he tossed on a hoodie and headed to the front door. He figured he should apologize to Blue for what he said earlier and he heard the elevator sound. He swung open the door and stepped into the hall.

          Son Dongwoon of B2ST had Blue in his arms, tiny, light, and breathing softly. He carried her down the hall, past the Style X dorm and down to hers. He rushed towards them and the guy whispered, “Shhh! She fell asleep on the way home.”

          Either she fell asleep or he drugged her. He wouldn’t be surprised. Maybe he got her drunk too. Maybe it was a B2ST thing—taking out female idols and getting them drunk.

          It wouldn’t be the first time people targeted Blue.

          He followed them to the dorm and knocked on the door. Minah opened the door, stepped aside and let Dongwoon enter. Jaehyun made a motion to but she stopped him. “I think it’s time to give Blue some space. You worry too much and you’re being a little overbearing, Jaehyunie. You don’t need to oversee her going to sleep.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note, "Misu" means "smile" in Korean, I believe...