Another day

Wanna dance?

The encounter was awkward. Junsu felt like he shouldn’t give Seung-hyun the wrong idea anymore but something stopped him. He accepted the invitation for coffee simply making sure to drag Yoochun along. His friend looked at him sideways. When they were seated and the older guy went to order their drinks, Yoochun hissed in Junsu’s ears.

“What are you doing?”

“Having coffee.”

“Junsu! You have a boyfriend. Seung-hyun has made it quite clear that he’s willing to consider dating you.”

Junsu’s surprise made Yoochun roll his eyes.

“Honestly… Look, I never told you but we exchanged some messages about you over the phone. I didn’t let him completely lose hope because I wasn’t sure how things would work out with Changmin but in the end I implied you weren’t interested. Now you go and accept his invitation. What are you doing?”

Junsu struggled to understand what his friend was telling him. Mr. y Eyes was seriously trying to date him?



“Junsu!”

“I’m not sure Changmin and I are going to continue together much longer.”

Only Seung-hyun’s return keep Yoochun quiet after that revelation. Yoochun participated very little in any conversation but Junsu was happy to feel less awkward and bolder around Mr. y Eyes. The dialogue flowed easily between them.

They parted with the promise of meeting some other time. This time Junsu even gave his own phone number to Seung-hyun.

Junsu tried to walk in the direction of the bus stop but Yoochun grabbed him and started walking back to the university.

“I’ll go home later. I’ll walk you to your date with Changmin. Now explain.”

Junsu gave a sad sigh and tried to gather his thoughts. He wasn’t sure if he could explain himself.

“Things are just so… It’s nothing like I expected. It’s just so… awkward. We hardly talk. I don’t know what to talk about with Changmin. I get tongue tied. Even after all this time I can’t help being so shy around him. And he doesn’t call. When we do meet he just kisses me. That’s it. This is nothing like I thought it would be. I’m not even sure if he really likes me. I’m afraid he’s just gonna stop calling or meeting with me and some weeks later I’ll find out he’s started seeing someone else. Like we were never boyfriends in the first place.”

Yoochun stared at Junsu. He breathed deeply, closing his eyes. Then he pointed to the university’s main gate where Changmin was already waiting.

“Junsu, you can’t leave all the work up to Changmin. Yoohwan joked that he’s shy too. Maybe he is and he feels as lost as you. Don’t compare your relationship to what happened between me and Jaejoong or let that make you scared for your own relationship. Tell him how you feel. He’s not some fairy tale prince coming to rescue you and change your life with one single kiss. He’s just a guy.”

The words “I know” died in Junsu’s lips. He wasn’t sure if he’d really mean them. He had dreamed his life would be perfect after he got together with Changmin.

“Go on, Junsu. Work for it. Go get your happy non-ending.”

Yoochun’s words made Junsu giggle. That was the injection of bravery he needed.



Junsu approached Changmin a little wearily. The tall guy smiled at him but didn’t try for a hello kiss. Junsu sighed, knowing that was his own fault. He was about to say the words “we need to talk” when he noticed that Changmin seemed nervous.

“Wanna go have a drink?”, asked Junsu.

As they walked to the rather busy café, Junsu studied Changmin. The tall guy really did seem nervous. Strangely that made Junsu feel perfectly calm.

“Changmin, I… “

“Give me another chance.”

“What?”

“I know we… I… Just give me another chance.”

Junsu’s heart felt like it would jump out of his chest. He looked into Changmin’s eyes and saw insecurity reflected back. He didn’t know if he wanted to cry or laugh. This was so stupid.

“I like you, Changmin. I’ve liked you for a long time. Just watching you from a distance, thinking that you’re perfect. I never really believed you’d ever notice me. But I’m just so shy. I do stupid stuff before my brain can even connect. I don’t know what to do.”

Changmin looked at him with a surprised face but a lot of that nervousness was gone. Junsu felt like a fire was burning inside of him. Now that he had started to talk, it was like he couldn’t stop.

“I still cringe in shame when I remember I said “no” when you asked me to dance. That was so far away from what I wanted to answer that it’s beyond ridiculous. And that comment about your ex-girlfriend, what I meant is that she was stupid for letting you go. I’m sorry about turning my face the other day. I panicked. I was embarrassed that your friends could see us. I didn’t know what to do and that was my reaction. I didn’t think about it. I just did it.”

Junsu stopped to catch his breath. He was talking too fast, trying to say everything before his courage deserted him.

“I don’t even know how to kiss.”

He swore his face was about to catch on fire. Maybe he shouldn’t talk about kissing? Besides, there was still so much he wanted to say.

“I’ve wanted to call you thousands of times. I just… “

And he stopped. His tongue tied itself. It was like no more words could escape him ever again, as if he had lost the ability of speech. Across from Junsu, Changmin now had a rather tender smile. As Junsu struggled to speak, Changmin simply held his hands and laughed happily.



“I’ve wanted to call you a lot more too. You’re not the only one who can be too shy for his own good. There’s so much I want to ask you but I never seem to remember any of it when we’re together. When you called me asking to meet and talk I feared you wanted to break up with me. I know we haven’t had exactly good dates but… Every time I catch a glimpse of you I want to get to know you better. I do hate bumping into that shy wall you present to the world. But I know you’re funny and a good friend. I’m still in awe of how you pulled off that prank call. You can be really brave sometimes, like now. And I do like kissing you. A lot.”

Junsu forgot they were in a café full of people. He saw only Changmin. He heard only his words. He pulled him in for a kiss. Even with the table between them and a little more tongue than he still knew what to do with, this time the one word he had to describe the kiss was perfect.



Yoochun had waited nearby to make sure Junsu would be ok. He smiled when he saw the couple kissing and oblivious to everyone around them. It gave him hope. Somewhere there would be someone who would like him too.

“Guess I took too long to try to talk with Junsu.”

Yoochun turned and guiltily faced Choi Seung-hyun. He scratched his head at a loss of what to say.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be ok. I do admit I was very intrigued by Junsu. Shy and yet so bold. I struggled if I should approach him because of our age difference. It’s not surprising that some other guy stole him first.”

Yoochun smiled weakly. He really didn’t know what to say.

A nearby commotion caught their attention. A large group of students was approaching. Yoochun smiled as he recognized some of his high school friends. He started to describe them to Seung-hyun, entertaining the older man with a description of his friends’s quirks. Yunho and Boa were in the middle, as oblivious to their surroundings as always. Yvonne was semi-dragging her boyfriend of the month. Heechul and Siwon were bickering. And among the others, there was also Jaejoong.

Choi Seung-hyun gave Yoochun a worried look when he heard the sharp intake of breathe. He felt even more worried when he noticed the young man’s eyes starting to tear up. He looked to the large group again. Yoochun had described almost all of them, except the pretty guy currently eating some guy’s tongue. He placed a hand on Yoochun’s shoulder.

Yunho noticed Yoochun and waved in greeting, soon followed by some of the others.

Jaejoong looked up when he heard Yoochun’s name. He looked guiltily and let go of the guy he was holding. Then his eyes narrowed at the older guy in a suit.
Yoochun felt like he wanted the ground to swallow him when he saw Jaejoong approach. He prayed this would be their last meeting ever. They were going to different universities, soon it would be as if they lived in different cities. He barely nodded in acknowledgment.

Jaejoong glared at the older man, waiting for an introduction and for an explanation as to why this guy had his arm around Yoochun’s shoulders. His date approached, clinging to his arm and sending a sneering look in Yoochun’s direction.

“Is that your ex?”

Yoochun kept silent. He wanted to turn and run away. He refused to meet anyone’s eyes. At least he had the comfort that his tears were no longer showing.
Choi Seung-hyun held Yoochun closer, reading the situation. He sent a knowing look at Yoochun’s ex-boyfriend. It was obvious the guy still had some feelings for Yoochun, whatever they were.

“Will you two excuse us? We’re on a date.”, said Seung-hyun.

Two pairs of eyes widened at that. Jaejoong in apparent anger or jealousy, his date in awe. Yoochun kept quiet, just praying for Jaejoong to leave.

Seung-hyun held Yoochun’s hand in his own and started to walk away. When they were far enough away he sat the young man on a bench. Yoochun found himself telling the almost stranger all of what had happened and recounting all the fears he had shared with his brother and friend. Somehow, having Seung-hyun assuring him that he had done nothing wrong, and that he was too good looking to remain single for long, worked better than anything. It was easier to believe him for he had no reason to lie.



4 years later

Yoochun was sighing and sighing again. He hated shopping. He cursed Yunho once more for getting married and forcing him to buy a ceremony suit. However, since he had to do it he was also being practical and taking the time to buy everything else he needed. He’d been delaying the purchase of suits. Yoochun had just finished University and had already found a job. A job that would require suits other than his one interview suit borrowed from his brother. As he perused the endless racks of near identical suits a well-built man caught his attention.

Distracted, Yoochun didn’t notice the shop assistant right next to him.

“Excuse me, sir. Do you need any help?”

“Huh? Oh, yeahh. I’m looking for suits. Work suits. And a ceremony one. For a wedding.”

“Certainly, sir. Why don’t we start with the ceremony suit? Right this way. Follow me.”

Yoochun stole one last glance at the other customer, and was about to follow the shop assistant, when recognition suddenly hit him.



“Choi Seung-hyun!”

A surprised pair of eyes turned his way soon followed by a familiar lift of eyebrows.

“Park Yoochun! Oh, my God! Is that you?”

“Damn! It’s been years. How are you?”

“I’m great. And you? Buying suits? Are you working already?”

“About to start my first job. Gonna need to wear suits and ties. Still don’t know how I’m gonna survive that. Oh, and one of my friends, Yunho, is getting married and I need to find a suit that won’t make me look like a penguin.”

“Well, I have been wearing suits for these past years. Allow me to help.”

“God, please do.”

Hours later, the two were finishing a late dinner, Yoochun’s bags all around them. The conversation was fluid and they kept laughing together. When it came time for them to head home, Seung-hyun offered Yoochun a car ride. As Yoochun was about to turn back to enter his house, he took a deep breath and looked at the older guy with determination.

“Look, this might sound out of nowhere but… do you want to go out with me again? I mean… on a date, the two of us?”

Seung-hyun’s surprise was obvious, followed by a delighted smile. Still, he regarded Yoochun with a serious face.

“I don’t do casual dating. I’ve outgrown that. I’m single but I’m looking for a serious relationship. Someone who also wants the same things.”

“I’m 24 and you’re just five years older than me, not some ancient mummy. Look, I hate casual dating too. All I always ever wanted was to have someone that was just mine. I want a serious relationship. I hate the meaningless hook-ups I keep seeing so many of my friends do. I wish I could have what Yunho and Boa or Junsu and Changmin have. They are still together and looking as strong as ever. I can’t promise that that is gonna happen with us if we go on a date. Come on, we don’t really know each other. But I like very much what I remember about you and what I’ve seen so far. I think we might give it a try. What do you say?”
“What happened to that shy kid you used to be?”

“Oh, he got a bit tired of getting me into trouble or not taking great opportunities.”

Seung-hyun smiled at that and regarded Yoochun with a steady gaze that the younger guy returned easily.



When Yoochun got inside the house he had secured a date and he was feeling pretty hyper.

Yoohwan stared at his brother.

“What’s up with you?”

“Why?” asked a smiling Yoochun.

“You’re all creepy happy smiling. After spending the day shopping and… wait a minute. Are those clothes in those bags? Did you actually get some shopping done?”

“Oh, brother of mine. You wound me, man of little faith.”

Yoochun grabbed his bags and went upstairs followed by his curious brother.

“I sense a story. Come on, out with it. You know I’m gonna bug you till you tell me.”



Changmin closed a box with adhesive tape. Junsu finished filling another box. They were slowly emptying their individual university rooms and moving everything to a small apartment they were going to share together. As Junsu carefully wrapped each frame he looked at the pictures with a smile because of the good memories attached.



“I’m feeling so adult.”, sighed Junsu.

“Really?”

“Yep. We graduated, we’re going to start our first paying jobs soon and we’re going to live together. All very adult like.”

“Well, we are technically adults.”

“It’s a bit scary, isn’t it?”

“I think we’ll be just fine. We’re together.”

Junsu looked up from the box he was half drowned in and saw Changmin softly smiling at him.

“You know something? You always make me feel very happy.”

“Good. You make me happy too.”



Yunho and Boa’s wedding day was a sort of high school reunion. Everyone was there.

Junsu felt especially good about the fact that he no longer worried about what these people thought about him. And it was really fun to be with friends he hadn’t seen since high school.

His biggest surprise was when Yoochun arrived on the arm of Mr. y Eyes. Junsu felt his cheeks burn at the memory of how he used to shamelessly check out the man.

“Junsu, hey! Do you remember Seung-hyun?”

“Ahh, yes. Yes, off course. Hi, how are you?”, stammered Junsu.

When Changmin and Seung-hyun walked away to get them drinks, Junsu pulled Yoochun to a corner and started to interrogate him.

“You’re almost worse than my brother. Calm down, ok? We met accidentally two months ago and it was so nice being with him that I asked him out. He said yes and the rest is history.”

You asked him? But… and did you already… ah…”

“Did we already what? Have ? Junsu, please. I’m 24 years old. I’m not a naïve 17 year old anymore. And he’s not Jaejoong. Will you stop worrying about me? I’m a big boy. In fact, I’m a big happy boy. He’s fantastic.”

“I just want to see you happy.”, pouted Junsu, arms cross.

“I am. Remember how he helped me regarding Jaejoong? I was impressed by him even then. Despite how good looking he is, this time I can safely say that it was his personality that attracted me first.”

Yoochun left unsaid how he had viewed Seung-hyun as simply Mr. y Eyes, Junsu’s property. That had automatically kicked in when he recognized him at the store. It was only at the end of the day, when Yoochun had realised how much Seung-hyun had all the qualities he wanted, that he opened his eyes properly.

“What are you smiling about?”, asked Seung-hyun as he handed Yoochun his drink.

“It’s a good party.”

“Yes, it is.”, agreed Junsu. He watched the way the older guy looked at his friend and he smiled relieved. It seemed this time Yoochun had made a good choice. No more frogs.



The only tension moment was when Jaejoong approached Yoochun. Junsu watched from a little distance away. Jaejoong seemed eager to talk with Yoochun. He worried if his friend really was over what had happened with Jaejoong even if it had been years ago. Yoochun, however, happily greeted Jaejoong, asked him how he was doing and then gave all his attention to Seung-hyun who had returned to his side. To Junsu’s surprise, Jaejoong appeared sad to see that Yoochun was happily with someone else.



Seung-hyun seemed to notice it as well because he made sure to take his boyfriend elsewhere. Jaejoong watched him go with a rather regretful face. Junsu shook his head.



The bride asked all the unmarried girls to gather around. Junsu, Yoochun and some other men were thrown in the middle as well, while their boyfriends walked away laughing.



“Hey, we’re not unmarried women!”, complained Yoochun.

“Never mind that! If you get the bouquet maybe you can ask for a ring.”, laughed Boa.

Yoochun blushed deep red and that was the end of that.

Junsu sneaked to the back, after all one should be able to rely on overeager women to catch the bouquet. Yoochun was there too, looking sullen. Someone tried to put Jaejoong in the mix as well but he escaped. Heechul, on the other hand, made sure to go right in the front.

“Come on, Boa. That bouquet is mine!”

Boa threw the bouquet high in the air. Heechul jumped but didn’t catch it. Junsu actually ducked out of the way. It landed in a surprised Yvonne’s hands. She looked horrified at it, even more when her date looked all happy about it.

Junsu and Yoochun laughed as they hurried away, followed by an angry Heechul.

“That’s not fair. Serial dater Yvonne getting the bouquet is all kinds of wrong. I deserved it.”

“Stop pouting, Heechul. You don’t need it. Besides you broke up with Siwon, remember? You’re single. Oh, have you checked Donghae, by the way? He’s turned quite gorgeous.”

The second Junsu said that, his boyfriend reached him. Changmin crossed his arms slowly and scowled at Junsu.

“Why are you admiring some random guy?”

One look at Changmin’s fake annoyed face and Junsu lost it.



His trademark laugh was loudly heard until Changmin hugged him and kissed him. Heechul rolled his eyes and decided to go check on Donghae after all.

“You’re supposed to only have eyes for me.”

Junsu blushed.

“I do.”

Changmin continued to hold him really close.

“You almost whispered that.”

Junsu blushed more and hid his face in Changmin’s shoulder.

“Oh, shut up.”



This time it was Yunho going around the room gathering all the unmarried men. Junsu, Yoochun and Heechul laughed, feeling vindicated. This time it was their boyfriends protesting with no effect.

Junsu was feeling carefree until he noticed to whom Yunho was aiming the garter. He looked at Changmin and noticed that his boyfriend was actually attentive. A scary thought ran through his head. Dear God, he’s going to try and catch it.

Junsu watched. Like a slow camera motion every second seemed crystal clear. Yunho looked behind his shoulder one last time, threw the garter, it rose in the air then descended right into Changmin’s outstretched hand.

Lots of people cheered. Junsu just stared. His brain was glitching. He caught it. He. Caught. It. We have to dance. Alone. In front of everyone. Ohhhh… RUN!



Changmin was happily clutching the garter in his hands, a big smile on his face. Then a commotion caught his eye. Yoochun and Heechul were staring at a disappearing Junsu. His boyfriend had took off running. Changmin was open mouthed for a while, then he just smiled. He found it endearing how his Junsu was still, even after all these years, just… Junsu.



A little later, a very red faced Junsu was dragged out of somewhere by Yunho.

Changmin opened his arms and hide the blushing face from everyone.

“Where did you go?”

“Sorry. I’m sorry. So sorry. I just… when you caught it… I wasn’t thinking. I panicked, I guess. I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok. Look at me.”

Junsu lifted his face from its hiding place and to his surprise Changmin was looking at him as if he was the most adorable thing in the world.

“I love you.”

“I love you too. A lot.”

“Do you wanna dance with me?”

“Yes.”

The other people in the room had disappeared. Junsu was no longer aware of them. Or of the music. He only had eyes for Changmin and how he was looking at him. They started to sway together and Changmin kissed him. Junsu kissed back.

It was a perfect moment. One of those instances when Junsu felt adored and happy and complete. Kissing Changmin and hugging him left his heart feeling warm.

When Junsu remembered they were in the middle of Yunho’s wedding, there were already a lot of people dancing around them. He shrugged and continued in his boyfriend’s arms. He was exactly where he belonged. And it didn’t matter one bit that he had did a silly thing yet again.





The end.