Be brave

Wanna dance?

Over the next week, Junsu started to count down the days until he could attend one of Yoohwan’s football games and finally meet Changmin again. He ended up spending quite a lot of time alone because Yoochun had become inseparable from Jaejoong. Yoochun was in pure bliss, even if he had to endure his brother’s suspicious gaze. Junsu believed that the younger guy knew exactly what was going on and was just waiting for something bad to happen. Having met with the new happy couple twice already, Junsu didn’t agree. It was a very different Jaejoong that he had seen. Jaejoong had behaved like the perfect dream guy. Junsu even had to admit he felt a little bit jealous of his best friend.



The surprise party for Yoohwan’s friend was a success. The poor guy wandered in lured by Junsu’s phone call to find all his friends ready to give him presents. Still, he kept whining about the cute guy on the phone. He was convinced he had to be one of his many conquests and wanted to know which one. The more he asked, the more Changmin’s face turned sullen. Yoohwan turned his face curiously at Changmin who ignored him. Deciding that enough was enough, Yoohwan answered his friend’s queries and in the process saw how Changmin’s bad mood dissipated.

“Look, the guy on the phone was my brother’s best friend, not one of the silly guys you usually mess around with. Which means… you can forget it. You never met him and, even if you did, he’d never just up and kiss you. You’d have to work for it and I’m not sure you, of all people, could work that hard. The flirty voice on the phone has nothing to do with the real life well behaved shy guy he really is. You wouldn’t know what to do with him. Really! If he was here, he’d be hiding in a corner, quiet as a mouse. So, stop bugging me about it!”

“Oh, a flower yet to bloom. You doubt my abilities. And if you had heard him…”

“I was right next to him as he called. Forget it! Never gonna happen. Besides, he already has a huge crush on someone else. For the last time: shut up about it!”

Yoohwan’s friend sulked for about five minutes, which was how long it took him to start flirting around enjoying his status as the birthday boy. Yoohwan rolled his eyes and turned his attention to Changmin.

“You’re looking better. You seemed in a bad mood just a minute ago.”

“Drop the act, Yoohwan. I know you. Ok, I admit it. I was really pissed off. Now, will you just tell me?”

“Tell you what?”

“Who he has a crush on? You said I should ask him out. But if he already likes someone else…”

“Changmin, would I do that to you? He didn’t sleep for three nights, after the dance, just thinking of you. Is that interested enough for you? And what about you? Are you interested enough?”

“I’ve dated a few times already. I always feel like I wasted my time when it’s over. Junsu feels like someone who’d return the effort. He’s really nice and he’s super cute. And damn it, where the hell did he learn how to flirt?”

“If you manage to make him feel more confident, there’ll be times when he’ll surprise you. But let me rephrase my question. Are you interested enough to deal with how shy he can be? You’re kinda shy yourself.”

“No pain, no gain.”



Junsu woke up a complete bundle of nerves. He tried almost all his clothes. He cursed his hair. Found pimples and blackheads and whatever everywhere on his face, even where there was nothing. Brushed his teeth better than if he was going to the dentist. He was seconds away of putting on too much perfume. He managed to make such a fuss that his parents were in no doubt that he was going on a date. That gave him the added problem of convincing his mother that she was wrong. The last thing he needed was for her to forbid him going out. Junsu was sure that his mother would only allow him to date when he was in his 30’s or something.

When Junsu arrived at Yoochun’s house, only Yoohwan was there.

“Where’s Yoochun? He promised he’d go with me. I can’t arrive there all alone.”

“Stop panicking. I already called him and threatened to tell our parents where he slept if he’s not there on time.”

“Oh, my God! He stayed the night at Jaejoong’s house?”

“Yes, he did. By the way, very poor job on pretending he simply stayed over at a friend’s. I really hope you guys are right about Jaejong. I sincerely do. It’s just that the few times I met him, I was even surprised you guys were friends with him.”

“He did behave really badly with all the girls who wanted to date with him. In his defence, no matter how bad he treated one, there was always two or more just waiting in line. Most of them only ever saw his looks. I confess I always thought Yoochun’s situation was hopeless and that eventually he’d grew out of his crush on Jaejoong. But I’m happy that Jaejoong finally looked at him. Yoochun and Jaejoong make a great couple. You should go out with us. You’d be more relaxed.”

“I’ll think about it. Now, come on. It’s getting late.”

“Oh, God! I don’t think I’m going.”

“If you get a panic attack, be warned: I’ll slap you. Now move.”



Yoochun ran to reach the spot his brother indicated on time. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Yoohwan and Junsu waiting for him. Both guys looked at him with knowing looks. He’d pretty much told Junsu that he and Jaejoong had had and he was sure that his brother suspected. Yoochun blushed. It was slightly uncomfortable to have both guys knowing where he slept. He hadn’t had time to take a shower to arrive on time. His clothes, even his skin, smelled of Jaejoong.

Junsu patted Yoochun in greeting. Yoohwan just turned and started walking to the football field.

When they reached the lockers, Yoohwan went inside to change. Junsu looked around nervously. Yoochun decided to be supportive and to try and distract his best friend. A few guys started leaving the lockers and doing laps. Finally, Yoohwan emerged accompanied by two guys and right behind him, Changmin



Junsu looked at Changmin out of the corner of his eyes. He didn’t feel brave enough to look at him directly. Still, he managed to see the look of surprise on the tall guy. Yoohwan did a fast introduction and soon they were playing. It would have been very awkward to be the only ones watching the game but fortunately there were a few other guys and girls their age and some parents too.

Junsu didn’t know whether to look at Changmin the entire time or if he should pretend not to. The tall guy appeared to be paying his full attention to the game. Still, there were a few times when Junsu’s heart nearly stopped upon meeting Changmin’s eyes. Maybe he was paying Junsu some attention?



A huge group ended up in a café in the nearby park. To Junsu’s dismay, Changmin was just as surrounded by people as he normally was at school. The guy appeared to be watching him sometimes but he never approached. Yoochun had even left Junsu alone a few times on purpose but nothing. Some people started to leave. Junsu felt like he was almost ready to give up and leave as well. He was wondering what to do with the rest of his day when he saw Changmin going to the counter alone. Deciding it was now or never, Junsu followed.

Changmin was waiting to pay for his drink. Junsu approached and signalled that he wanted to pay as well.

“Are you leaving already?”, asked Junsu.

“I was thinking about it. And you?”

“Oh, I was thinking of going for a walk. It’s such a nice day.”

They paid for their drinks and with a goodbye smile, Junsu turned and started walking away. His courage could only take him so far. He walked very slowly, sighing every few seconds and wanting very much to kick something. All that expectation and now all he had done was exchange two words with Changmin. He didn’t bother saying goodbye to Yoochun and Yoohwan. He’d text them later. He was in no mood for anything. He very much felt like screaming, actually. Maybe crying.

“Can I join you?”

Junsu jumped. He possibly screamed a little.

“Oh, sorry. Didn’t mean to scary you. I had to go grab my bag.”

Junsu tried to remember to breath. He also waited a few seconds for his heart to calm down. Then he thought that he was being quiet for too long. He was supposed to say something. But what, dear God?

“Isn’t the bag too heavy?”

Junsu wanted to facepalm himself. Stupid question. Who cared? Now for sure he’d remember that and go home, leaving him alone. But Changmin just gave him a brilliant smile and didn’t seem fazed.

“Nah. Nothing compares to school books. So, tell me, what have you been doing?”

“Nothing.”

“Your parents didn’t take holidays?”

“Oh. Yeah, they did. We went away for two weeks and then I had to spend another week at my grandparents.”

After a while, Junsu found himself chatting with Changmin with no effort. Whenever he seemed to run out of things to say, the other boy would ask him something. He also started to feel brave enough to ask Changmin some questions. He forgot about the time. They walked with no destination. Both veered again into the park if they approached its limits.



Junsu’s phone rang.

“Damn it. It’s my mother. I’m sorry, I have to answer.”

“Off course.”

Junsu walked a few steps away and answered. His mother wanted him to come home. He asked to stay longer. She didn’t budge. With a sigh, Junsu said he’d be home soon. Doing some fast calculations in his mind, he gave a time. When he hang up, he nearly did a little happy dance. It was a good thing that his mother didn’t knew the bus schedules. He had gained himself about an extra hour. Another hour with Changmin.

“Do you have to go home?”

“In about an hour, yeah. What about you? Can you stay longer?”

Junsu’s heart sped up. He prayed that Changmin could stay.

“Sure, I can stay. I’ll keep you company. Why don’t we sit?”

Junsu was sure that the smile that escaped him was bordering on insane. Suddenly, he was hit with nerves again. He was all alone with Changmin.



“I heard about the prank call. Was that really you?”, asked Changmin.

Junsu blushed and hide his face.

“Yes. Yoohwan bullied me into it. I didn’t want to do it. It was so embarrassing. I had no idea what to say. Luckily, it worked well enough.”

“Yes, it did work… well enough.”, said Changmin with an enigmatic smile that Junsu didn’t understand. Junsu kept quiet. He didn’t know what to say.

“You know, Junsu, I’ve been thinking of asking you something.”

“Oh. What?”

“Will you consider going out with me?”



Hello! Brain! H-E-L-L-O! Answer! Say something. Oh, for heaven’s sake, DO NOT SAY NO!!! Whatever- you do, do not say that blasted word again! Junsu felt like it took him some time to have his brain working again. But this time, he knew how to answer. That is, if he could muster the courage to open his mouth. He wanted to say “yes” but it felt like he had forgotten how to talk. Changmin was looking at him, waiting for an answer. Afraid of waiting any longer, Junsu nodded his head but in a barely noticeable way. Then, he did it again, properly this time, just to make sure that Changmin saw it.

Junsu didn’t how to feel when he saw Changmin smiling. This meant that they were officially boyfriends. He was even kinda numb. Maybe he’d explode when he was no longer with Changmin.

Then, he noticed that his boyfriend, yes, his boyfriend, was maybe a little bit closer. And closer. And, dear God, he was going to kiss him! Junsu blinked. He was frozen. He couldn’t move. And for once, that was exactly the right thing to do.