DAY 1

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yuri-unnie…do you think we’re near a werewolf village?” Yoona asked as she and Yuri stepped into the wintry countryside. Yuri scanned the area carefully for signs of life and she noticed smoke coming up from the distance. 

“There’s a village nearby, Yoona…I’m not sure if it’s a wolf village, but I’d say it would be safer if we stayed out here for a while and avoid any confrontations while we can…” Yuri said as she faced her younger cousin. 

The younger girl nodded in agreement as they began making their journey away from the mysterious village. 

---

In another carriage that was brought on top of another mountain belonging to the Carpathian mountain range, Sooyoung found herself sharpening her knife when she and Hyoyeon noticed that they have stopped traveling and that the noises of horses dragging them have faded. Hyoyeon stood up and magically opened the door. When she stepped out, a cold breeze swept and she momentarily shivered in the cold. 

“Hyo, I think they brought us at one of the highest mountains of the country…”Sooyoung said as she got out of the carriage and surveyed the area with her cousin. 

“I guess this won’t be an easy one…there are a number of werewolf villages scattered among these mountains and not to mention bears three to four times our size. They’re even stronger than regular werewolves…” Hyoyeon said as they waited for the winter breeze to cool down a bit. 

A heavy snowfall had be threatening to rain down upon them, but it seemed that they were unfazed by the freezing winter. 

“I wonder how the other pairs are doing now…and it seems you’re waiting for the dusk to come aren’t you, Hyo?” Sooyoung said as she raised an eyebrow at her cousin. Hyoyeon gave her an innocent smile. ‘You know me too well, Sooyoung…’ Hyoyeon thought. 

“I guess, you can say that again…It’s when my powers are at their peak and I know you wouldn’t mind since yours aren’t affected by anything…” Hyoyeon replied. The two partners sat down near the cliff where their carriage was placed and watched as the streaks of faint light escaping from the clouds began to slowly disappear.

Sooyoung’s thoughts came upon a certain pair which she had visited in Sooyeon’s bedroom. She wondered whether the two were sisters since they had been too intimate towards each other. Hyoyeon noticed that her cousin was lost in her thoughts and asked Sooyoung about the matter. 

“I was just thinking of Taeyeon and Sooyeon, Hyo…They seem to be acting strange…” Sooyoung replied. 

“I did notice a few things…like how Sooyeon treated Taeyeon like a sister and how the Jung family didn’t mind letting Taeyeon stay in the castle. My father says it was Taeyeon’s special duty as Sooyeon’s guardian just like how he had been to Lord Jung, but I don’t think that’s the case since my father was allowed to go home…while Taeyeon was deprived from returning to the Kim castle except only when the Jungs visit us…” Hyoyeon said. 

The cold wind blew harder and the snowfall grew thicker which prompted the two to decide to look for shelter. 

“I think we’ll just have to see what happens, Hyo…first, let’s find a cave for the night…” Sooyoung said to which Hyoyeon nodded in agreement. Darkness was coming and Hyoyeon’s energy grew stronger. 

---

Soonkyu and Miyoung marveled at the sight when they opened their carriage. There were a lot of trees coated in snow as they stepped out of their coach. Soonkyu shot an arrow that landed itself sharply on a tree trunk. 

“I’ll mark that spot as our starting point. If we get lost or if the others dropped by, they’ll know we’ve been here…” Soonkyu said as she and Miyoung began walking away from their carriage. 

“But what if an enemy spots it? We’ll be in trouble if they follow us and trap us both…” Miyoung said, her eyes filled with concern. Soonkyu smiled as she turned to her partner. 

“Then, we’ll just have to fight them all. Given that we’re both archers, I don’t think they’ll be alive when they reach us…and besides, every rogue vampire fears the archer families of the royal vampires the most. Do you remember the story about your father?” Soonkyu replied as she held Miyoung’s gloved hand. 

“Yes, I do. That was the day of Taeyeon and Sooyeon’s birth…no wonder Count Kim was not with our fathers when they fought the enemies that stormed the Jung castle…” Miyoung said as they walked hand in hand. 

“I think we should find shelter first, Miyoung…This sunless day is coming to an end and I think it would be best to stay out of the cold…” Soonkyu suggested as they headed deeper into the wooded area. 

“Hmm…Let’s look for a cave or a snow hole…” Miyoung said. 

As they proceeded further, they found a huge tree that had fallen. There was a hollowed space enough for the two of them to hide from enemies and the cold winter night. The two had decided to settle in the makeshift shelter for the night. Miyoung had brought a bag of almonds with her while Soonkyu brought milk for them to share. They both rationed their food, drink, and blood as night came. 

---

Young Juhyun was left alone with Soojung in the castle as their parents busied themselves with the matters related to the vampire kingdom. They both rummaged through the huge library that the vampire families have kept for centuries. Juhyun found herself a book about the world of humans which had sparked her interest. She knew that soon enough, she and Soojung will be taking the deadly test that her unnies were now undergoing. 

General Seo’s daughter was engrossed with reading when Soojung sat beside her and rest her head on the table. 

“Unnie…What are you reading?” Soojung asked. 

Juhyun took her eyes from the book and laid them on Soojung’s face. “I’m reading about humans…and stop calling me unnie…we’re about the same age…” 

“But you’re still older than me, unnie…” Soojung persisted as she sat up. 

Juhyun smiled in return. Surely, this maknae was as stubborn as her. “All right…if you’re comfortable with that, it’s all right.” 

The two girls then proceeded to reading all about the mortals that they will come to know in the future. For some reason, the entire vampire family has refused to partaking a mortal’s blood. Taeyeon and Sooyeon had been strict about it and their cousins have followed suit on the practice. Although drinking from another vampire was a common practice, it had always been recognized as an act of intimacy towards another vampire. A vampire will only be satisfied of hunger and thirst if the blood he/she had partaken was from a vampire that he/she had loved which is why it has been common with the cousins, sisters, and lovers of the royal vampire family. 

“Unnie, what happens if we meet humans? Will they be afraid of us like what my father would say or will they hate us for what the other vampires were doing to them?” Soojung asked.

“I do not know for sure, Soojung…I do not know how to face them yet, but when the time comes, I hope I’ll be ready to get to know them…” Juhyun replied.

“I guess we’ll need to know more about them through the books...” Soojung said. 

---

In the highest peak of the Carpathian mountain range, Taeyeon felt herself shivering inside the cold carriage as it had come to a stop. Sooyeon stared at her with concern for she knew Taeyeon was not used to the freezing winter like she did. Sooyeon’s close affinity to ice made her invulnerable to the freezing temperature. 

“Tae-Taengoo…you’re shivering…”Sooyeon said as she neared her sister and engulfed the eldest Jung in a tight embrace. 

Taeyeon snuggled herself towards Sooyeon as she tried to calm herself. It was her fault though since she had refused to bring a second coat for herself. She had forgotten that Sooyeon was used to extremely cold temperatures. 

“Soo-yeon-ah…I-I think we should---find—a-warm-place—for the –ni-night…” Taeyeon managed to speak as she continued shivering. Sooyeon tightened her embrace before she let go and took off her long black hooded coat and put it on Taeyeon. 

Taeyeon stared at her disapprovingly. Sooyeon knew that Taeyeon would never allow her to come out in the cold without a second layer of coat to warm her up. “Hey, don’t stare at me like that…you know how much I love winter and never get affected by it…” Sooyeon said before her sister could say a word

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter