The Twin Heiresses

A Twisted Tale of Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

220 Years Ago…

Soft cries from twin babies pierced the dark stormy night that had loomed over the Jung Castle sitting atop the hilly territory of Scandinavia. The guards of the castle were placed on high alert as the servants scurried about to attend to the needs of their vampire mistress. Outside the master bedroom of the Jung Castle, the worried lord paced to and fro as he pondered upon the results of his wife’s ordeal. His friend and head of security, Count Kim, finally stood up and stopped Lord Jung from his tracks. 

“My friend, you heard the babies crying. It’s a good sign…” Count Kim assured his friend as he placed a hand on the lord’s shoulder. And just as he had said, the vampire midwife came out of the room and told them the good news. Lady Jung has given birth to twin girls. The head of the Jung household rejoiced and gave his best friend a hug before he entered the room where his daughters and his wife awaited him. 

“Well, look who’s here, my darlings…Someone has come to welcome you into this world…” Lady Jung said as she caressed her newly born twins beside her. Lord Jung was delighted at the sight of his daughters. He came over to his wife and gave her a chaste kiss. 

When they finally pulled away, the vampire lord turned his sights to his lovely daughters who were now sleeping peacefully beside each other. “Look at them. They’re as beautiful as their mother.” Lord Jung mused. 

“My love, shall I do the honors of naming our first child?” the vampire lord asked his wife. Lady Jung nodded before taking the elder daughter of the two and handing her to her father. Lord Jung cautiously held his precious heiress as he examined the child’s lovely features. 

The elder of the twins had a youthful air about her and her sleeping figure exuded a warm aura. Lord Jung had seen the bright future of his vampire kingdom in the little hands of this child. “I shall name you, Taeyeon. Great things are destined for you, my child.” Lord Jung smiled as he held his eldest in his protective embrace. 

In the vampire tradition, it was the father’s right to name the first born while the mother had the honor of naming the second born child. Lady Jung had thought of a perfect name for her lovely second born. “My love, since you have named our first born, Taeyeon, I shall name our second born child, Sooyeon. Lovely Sooyeon will entice the kingdom to do her bidding.” Lady Jung giggled as she thought of Sooyeon growing up to become a beautiful princess. 

A hearty laugh escaped the vampire lord’s lips as he observed his wife ponder about their children’s future. “Taeyeon and Sooyeon, they are our precious jewels. The vampire kingdom is in good hands. I see a bright future ahead, my love.” Lord Jung said as he sat down beside his wife and held his eldest daughter. He then lovingly settled Taeyeon beside Sooyeon. The twins’ parents were enjoying the joyful moment when an urgent knock came from the door.

“Come in.” Lord Jung said as he and his wife turned their attention towards the door. It was Count Kim, Lord Jung’s best friend, and he had urgent news to tell the vampire lord. 

“My lord, werewolves and rogue vampires have stormed the castle. They are tearing down the main gates and it will only be a matter of time when they reach this room. Your family must flee, my lord.” Count Kim said as soon as he came into the sight of the two people his family had served for centuries.

Surprise came over the faces of the Jung family as they heard the news. “What good timing they have. They must have known that my wife would be giving birth to twins and that the Jung family will have heirs to the throne. I will not allow this to happen.” Lord Jung calmly said. He turned to look at his wife and their children. Lady Jung gave the lord a knowing look. 

“Count Kim, my best friend. We have grown together and your family has been with mine for centuries. Will you do me a favor as my friend?” Lord Jung asked. 

“Of course. What is it that you ask?” Count Kim replied. 

“I want you to take Taeyeon, my eldest child, away and raise her as a member of your family…” Lord Jung muttered as he turned to face his friend. 

A look of surprise came on Count Kim’s face. He didn’t expect such a huge responsibility weigh down upon him. 

“But my lord, I am unworthy of such responsibility. What will I tell the child about her origins? She is a royal member of the vampire race and the heiress to your throne...” Count Kim protested. 

“My friend, Kim. Please, help our family survive. You know very well what happens if there will be no Jung to take over the throne. Everything will be in chaos. My daughter, Taeyeon, will only know that she is a Jung when it will be time for her to ascend the throne. For now, please protect her and accept her as your own…If anything happens to my family, at least, Taeyeon will be there to continue the bloodline…” Lord Jung pleaded as he placed a hand over Count Kim’s shoulder. 

Count Kim was speechless. He thought about his best friend and how much Lord Jung had to sacrifice just to keep his eldest heiress safe. The infant was sleeping soundly with her twin as they spoke about the danger that would soon engulf them if they do nothing. 

“Lord Jung, I am not doing this as your protector, but I am doing this as your best friend. I will do my best in raising Taeyeon the right way. But please do not deprive her of her sister. She is meant to be with her twin…” Count Kim said. 

Lord Jung smiled at his closest friend. He was glad to have such a thoughtful companion. “So what do you suggest, my friend?” the vampire lord asked. 

Count Kim smiled. “I want Taeyeon to come back here and live with her twin sister when all this is over. She will be living like a Jung even if she will be a part of the Kim family. Will you agree to this, my lord?” 

“Very well then. My daughter will stay with her sister once this chaos subsides… thank you, Count Kim.” Lord Jung said to his trusted friend. 

Lady Jung covered her eldest child in a velvet cloth before she handed her to Count Kim. Taeyeon’s parents each gave their eldest child a kiss before parting with her and telling Count Kim to head to the secret passage that leads him safely outside the palace. 

Meanwhile, the heads of the families guarding the Jung family have stationed themselves at the castle wing that led to where the Jungs were situated. General Kwon and Choi, who headed the defense, stood guard at the incoming attackers who wielded fangs, claws, and swords. With them were the heads of the vampire archer families, General Lee and Hwang. 

“The werewolves and the rogue vampires are coming. Stand your ground.” General Kwon said as he tightened his grip on his sword. 

“Let’s have some fun…” General Choi remarked as he glared at the incoming werewolves with the rogue vampires following closely behind. 

The enemies stopped abruptly as they faced the strongest allies of the Jung family. “Wait! Those are the four of the eight vampire families that are known for being invincible in battle,” one of the vampires muttered. 

The werewolves growled in anger upon the vampire’s comment. The rogue vampires shivered in fear that their werewolf allies might turn against them should they retreat, yet what was more fearful than their enemies who had never been defeated? 

In a flash, an arrow whistled through the air and as soon as it was noticed, it had claimed its first vampire victim. The other rogue vampires were amazed and afraid to find that one of their own had been hit directly on his forehead. The werewolves turned to see General Hwang readying another arrow. 

The Jung’s enemies wasted no time in losing another of their own. Battle cries were heard in the night as the castle rumbled with the clanging of swords, the whistle of the arrows, and the piercing of armors. On a hilltop far from the castle, a lone black horse with its rider hooded in black turned to look back at the castle. Count Kim held the baby covered in velvet cloth as he urged his horse to move on. 

“I pray that your family will come out unscathed, Princess Taeyeon…” Count Kim said to the sleeping infant as his horse traversed the hidden path towards the direction of the Kim Castle. 

Inside the Jungs’ bedroom, Lord Jung prepared himself for battle. He was about to tie his sword to his girdle when he noticed that his wife had also dressed up in her own armor. 

“My love, what are you doing? You should be protecting Sooyeon…” Lord Jung said as he tried to stop his wife from joining him to battle. 

“My lord, this is the on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter