8:12pm

Piercing rain

           Ironically, one thing Taehyung could remember from the night he met Hoseok it was also raining a lot. It was outside a bar both regretted going in, but felt it would be dumb to just leave so they both had the genius idea to go outside for a bit before going back. This was kinda how they met, started talking about how they both disliked clubbing yet could never refuse their friends’ offers or really believed some loud music and crappy alcohol would result to something better than a terrible headache the next morning. Two hours later, both decided it’s no use to go back inside and decided to continue their meaningless getting-to-know-you chit chat because it felt mutually good. Next thing you know is “Will we meet again?” being helplessly obvious on their eyes, just waiting for the braver one of them to ask it out. And it happened, but it was suggested to be not in a run-down club but rather at a peaceful café where they could both see and talk to each other properly. It was the first time in so long Taehyung was excited for something, especially the next Friday afternoon.

When Taehyung had just started high school he could see how things in his home won’t really work out. Nothing heart-breaking or new, just his parents having grown out of loving each other, but still having the courtesy to remain housemates for his sake, even though both of them had found another object of their affection. Taehyung didn’t think he was supposed to feel like some victim or the pitying looks some of his ‘close’ friends were giving him were really needed, it was just life and this is how it worked. But he became distant and preferred to play it safe and avoid having to be too much around people by taking two part-time jobs, also because he thought he wanted to be able to pay for his university tuition himself, without having his parents meddle with his business more than just the few formalities, they were busy enough with themselves already. Weeks, months, school terms were passing and Taehyung grew to like this monotonousness his life was –studying, working and exploring music shops on his days off. Taehyung loved music a lot. He genuinely never thought boredom was boring anymore as that same routine seemed like a normal and reasonable abnormality to him. In reality, as much as he didn’t think his life was tragic or something, he was still young back then and he never got the chance to release whatever negative feeling bottles up again and again, divorce paper after divorce paper, ruined friendships, looks of pity and so on. So maybe he just hid behind a routine and occupied himself because he was scared to let it go and deal with people again. Was he lonely? Probably.
At 18 he was successfully accepted in a university in the city next to the one he lived ever since he was born and he left without much noise or sappy endings with his mother or father, as they naturally just grew apart because their son did everything perfectly by himself and never relied on them nor had the need to talk with them, and probably because they felt guilty of driving him to the corner they let him do whatever he wanted if he just called few times a year.


When he moved out Taehyung finally felt lighter and definitely freer than before. He didn’t refuse the few invitations to hang out or go clubbing when he first got to know his classmates, even though he was really new to all this and definitely kinda awkward, but it was some kind of distraction until he found some part-time job again. That was until he was month away of hitting 19 and meeting Jung Hoseok in front of that bar, which he never needed to visit again. Maybe that was the point where he stopped living in the same routine as the last couple of years and diversity slowly started to take place in his life.

 


When the long-awaited Friday finally came, Taehyung felt a really new, but not unpleasant nervousness, making it hard for him to sell cakes and coffees properly. And he wasn’t even sure why did a stranger, a male stranger, had such an effect on him and why was he feeling so impatient and jumpy to go to the café they promised to meet at. But it was simple - their conversation flowed perfectly and it wasn’t uncomfortable like it mostly happened to Taehyung when he met new people and besides they were both in the same situation, so they kinda had something In common, something that they already shared. And Taehyung was looking forward to talking with him again.
 

At 7pm Taehyung found himself literally running out of the pastry shop he worked at and walking unusually fast towards the next one. His mind subconsciously started thinking of topics they could talk about or even some silly scenarios he might tell the other, and the joke he heard the other night on the TV seemed to be a lot funnier in his mind now, so that definitely needed to be shared too, right?


But there wasn’t anyone there waiting for him, even though he was 5-6 minutes late. “Weird.” he thought to himself, but still ordered two lattes and scolded himself for not asking about the other’s number before. But he believed Hoseok would come so he waited. It was kinda funny to him that for once he was the one being served coffee and not the other way around. The atmosphere was calming and undoubtedly pleasant, but inside he was panicking a bit, thinking that he was stood up and he spent the week being all excited like a fool by himself. He felt his cheeks hotter and clothes suddenly a lot tighter, probably because his heart started beating way too fast. After finishing the second latte himself, he started noticing the looks the waitress started giving him, something mixed with pity and sympathy, two things he absolutely despised. But there was a reason why – it was already 8:12pm so he just took his jacket and left, convincing the same waitress that, no, he didn’t need her to call him a taxi and he would be fine on his own. Did he look that pathetic? Damn. But what was this unpleasant feeling he had in his gut, as if his whole body was emitting some bad vibes and his face was scrunched up as if Taehyung had eaten something very sour? Ah, so this was what disappointment is. ‘But the world was like this and you should keep going.’ Those were the words he always seemed to tell himself when he felt like crap, but this time they didn’t seem to work as effectively. His feet were taking him somewhere far from the cafe as if they had a mind on their own.


“Wait, wait stop.” Taehyung’s heart almost fell in his pants and he stopped the second he heard that surprisingly familiar voice calling him.
“I’m sorry. Oh, god I'm sorry. My boss is a one of a kind douchebag and he thinks working overtime on Friday is a great ing idea.” Jung Hoseok was standing there, bent almost at 90 degrees, panting as if his life depended on that. Did he run? Taehyung didn’t say a word, but somehow his cheeks felt weird and as he touched them he realized he was smiling. Damn, he was happy. “I think it’s a bit late for coffee, but what about dinner? Do you still want to?” Hoseok was almost breathing properly and he flashed half a cheeky smile, which was enough for Taehyung to forgive and forget that sour feeling from earlier.
“How did you find me?”
“Oh that. I asked the waitress from the café we were supposed to meet, she said you walked in this direction just few minutes earlier. I have to admit I was surprised when she told me you waited for so long so I hoped you wouldn’t be too far away. That was a good decision.” He said while giving a proper, kind of an excited smile and Taehyung only nodded, because now thinking about it he was also surprised by himself that he waited for so long, but he now concentrated all of his attention to the person in front of him.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N Happy birthday to the beautiful Jung Hoseok ♥
This shall be picture of the day~ I'm sorry there is a lack of dialogue but i really wanted to but a bit of Taehyungs background and expand his character a bit, might do the same with Hoseok, but i promise i will try to make it not as dull.
This line:
"He genuinely never thought boredom was boring anymore as that same routine seemed like a normal and reasonable abnormality to him." is a quote from the book I'm currently reading- Paper towns by John Green, which i thought suited that part so i allowed myself to use it, although i translated it from my mother language so it might be something really different in the English version of the book, but the whole meaning behind it is still the same ;u;
Also I tried to edit this few times but I'm sure there are many errors and mistakes left, so i apologize for this and wouldn't mind you correcting me so i can edit them out. Thank you for reading ♥