Chapter 15

Heart Keeper

Amber changed to her normal clothes and went to her room where Sulli was already lying on her bed. Amber suddenly noticed Key’s picture on her side table. It has always been there. Amber would hide it since it’s kind of embarrassing having a picture of a boy in her room and when Key noticed that it’s gone, he’ll mess Amber’s things just to find it and placed it on the table again. Amber sighed and turned down the picture. She doesn’t want to look at it since it reminded her of what happened earlier. She lied down on her bed tried to think of something else other than Key.

“He feels the same~” Amber remembered Onew’s words two weeks ago.
“What does he mean by that?” then she remembered what happened earlier. No, not “the kiss” but the thing while they were dancing. It was pretty unusual for Amber why both of their hearts were pounding. Does that mean anything? And finally, Amber realized something. When Onew told her that, she revealed her secret to Onew the day before. And it was her feelings for Key.

“Sulli…”
“Waeyo, unni?”

“Do you think Key likes me?”

Sulli stood up and grabbed Key’s picture beside Amber.

“You’re so stupid Amber. I’ve liked you since forever!” Sulli imitated Key as she put the picture on her face pretending that Key was the one saying it.

“Sulli~”

“Really, unni. Key oppa likes you… big time!” Sulli said with her eyes wide open.

“I won’t believe you… I want to hear it from Key himself.” Amber stated.
“Then ask him tomorrow… I’m sure he’ll have no choice but to tell you the truth.”
“Okay, I’ll ask him tomorrow. But now, I’m just going to sleep. Good night, Sulli~” Amber tucked herself.
“Good night, unni~”

==

“Should I ask him? Yes? No? Aish.” Amber was hesitating whether she should ask Key or not.
“You’re already standing at their front door. You should ask him… or not~” Amber was about to turn her back when the door opened.

“Amber, what are you doing here?” Minho asked curiously.
“Well… I was just wondering… Is Key there?”

“He didn’t tell you?”
“Tell me what?” Amber tilted her head.
“He left really early this morning. He went back to Daegu. He said he misses his family so he’ll be staying there for the next five days~” Minho explained.
“Daegu, huh? Thanks for telling, Minho oppa.” Amber pouted as she went back to their apartment.

Minho then dialed Krystal’s number.

“Oppa, why did you call all of a sudden?”
“Krys, I think you should hang out with Amber for five days…” Minho started.
“Key’s gone for a while and I think Amber’s depressed about it.” Minho loves Krystal but he knew that Amber needed a company now.

“Don’t worry oppa. I’ll cheer her up. Thanks for your concern to my friend,” Krystal tried to be cute.
“She’s my friend, too.” Then Minho changed the topic and sweet-talk with Krystal.

==

“Daegu? Daegu?! Why didn’t that guy tell me that he’s going to Daegu?” Amber was upset alright. Five days without Key is a nightmare for Amber. Well, not exactly nightmare. She won’t be herself without Key.

‘I guess it’s not the right time yet… to ask him… if he likes me…’

“AMBER!!!” Krystal’s voice echoed.

“Hey, Krys, what brought you here?” Amber didn’t expect that Krystal would be there since they were just together the day before.
“I sensed that you need a friend!”
“Let me guess, your boyfriend asked you to come here because Key wouldn’t be around.”

“Yeah… well… I brought Luna unni, too. She’s in the kitchen with Sulli and Vic unni. Come on, let’s help them cook.” Krystal is mischievous when feels like it.

==

“Four more days… no Kim KeyBum… what should I do?” it was Monday, after school. Amber was so bored doing nothing on the way home.
“Hey, Amberrrrrr!”
“Jonghyun oppa, don’t groan like that. You sounded like a dino.”
“I am a dinosaur. What do you want to do? Want to go to the noraebang?” Jonghyun tried to make Amber happy.

“I’m not in the mood today, oppa.” Amber murmured.
“Coz Key’s not around? Hmmm… Do you want to eat ramyeon instead?” Jonghyun didn’t stop encouraging her.
“Okay, okay but… your treat?”
“Yeah, my treat. I’m the one who invited you!” Jonghyun pulled Amber to a place he knows.

==

Next day, after school…

“Three more days…” she said. This time there was no sign of her friends. There was no sign of Jonghyun and Krystal.

“Unni!!!” Amber easily recognized that voice.
“Sulli, enough with the squealing.”
“Noona!!!” Taemin shrieked, too.
“What are you up to now?”

“Nothing, we just want to walk with you.” Taemin had this cute smile on his face, same with Sulli.

‘Everyone’s trying to make me feel better… I’m alright… even without Key. Why do they think I’m sad? I can live without Key… and it’s just three more days. Hmp, I’ll prove it to them!’ Amber shouted in her mind.

==

“Two more days~” she babbled as she eat alone in the ice cream shop where she and Key usually go. She was hiding from her friends. She didn’t want any company. She was happy. She felt much better without those annoying but lovable friends of her.

“What should I do tomorrow? Oh, wait, my ice cream is melting…” she her ice cream.

She sang “Noonan Neomu Yeppeo” on her way home. It was the only song she thought and she didn’t know why.

==

“Yes! Just one more day!!!” she cheered. She wasn’t suffering much but she’s happy to know that Key was coming back the next day.

“Oh, I still have nothing to do…” she thought. Then she heard some girls talking…

“Haircut?” she grinned and run to the mall.

“Is that you, Amber?” that was the first thing she heard from her friends.
“You’re so cute~” Luna screeched.
“Why did you decide to have a haircut?” Krystal asked out of curiosity.

“Well, my hair is getting longer so… is it really okay?”
“Ugh, Yeah! But you kinda super look like a guy now. Can I date you unni?” Sulli joked and hugged Amber.

==

Finally, Key was going home that day. Amber doesn’t know what the exact time of Key’s return is so she waited outside after eating dinner.

“What’s taking him so long?” Amber was being impatient. Yes, she admits she misses Key. Who wouldn’t miss that annoying jerk that she truly loves? She waited for at least an hour and still no shadow of him. It was almost nine and still no Key.

“I’ll be able to see him tomorrow. I should g—“
“Baby?” she heard that diva-ish voice.

“Kim Kibum~” she turn around and it was him.

“I know you miss me so come here and give your ‘boyfriend’ a hug~” Key was kidding at the boyfriend part. Amber run to his arms and embraced him. She wanted to do that. She wanted to feel Key’s warmth for a really long time.

“Oh, you had a haircut? Now I really look prettier than you. You look handsome, though.” Key said very frankly.
“You’ve always been prettier than me.”
“Aniyo…”

“Oh yeah, since I know you’re a little mad coz I didn’t tell you about me going to Daegu… I made you something…” Key looked inside his bag and tried to find that “thing”.
“Ta-da!” it was little ring with a red heart on it.
“I know you love red… and hearts are red… so I made you this.” He grabbed Amber’s hand and put the ring on Amber’s ring finger.
“Wow, it fitted perfectly!” Key said gleefully.

“You seriously MADE this?” Amber doesn’t believe that Key could make things as cute as that.
“Yeah. When I say ‘made’, I used my own hands and effort. And it doesn’t mean that I bought it. So please just appreciate it~”
“Thanks, it’s really pretty.” then it suddenly became quiet.

“About the…” they said in unison.
“You first,”
“No, you first.”
“Lady’s first.”
“No, really, you first.”

“Well… you know… when our lips touched… that… I’m sorry.”
“I’m sorry, too.”

“Why are we feeling awkward? It’s the second time that happened… so let’s just forget about that!” Key suggested before he says anything bad.
“Yeah, we should. See you tomorrow!” Amber opened the door.
“And thanks for this really wonderful gift. I forgive you!” she waved at Key before closing the door.