Chapter 13

Heart Keeper

“Look at Key, he looks so relax~” Minho said as he sat down on his chair.
“Oppa, he really studied. I think his score will be higher than mine.” Amber defended Key.
“You’re an exception since you’re not Korean.”
“You’ll see. He’ll get higher score than you,” what they didn’t know, Key was listening to their conversation and was smiling from ear to ear.

Their homeroom teacher finally came and started the test. Key just glared at Minho before smiling at Amber. Key was so determined while Minho doesn’t believe that Key would pass it. As for Amber, of course, she was on Key’s side.

After an hour…

“In your face!” Key shouted to Minho.
“So you did study~” Minho sighed.

“I always study. Why won’t you believe me that I self-study? Have you ever wondered why I never fail any test?” Key raised his right eyebrow.
“I didn’t think of that…” Minho scratched his head.

“Baby, komawo~” Key was obviously referring to Amber since he was looking at her.
“I’m always on your side. Oh wait…” Amber paused and glanced at Key.

“Please stop calling me baby. It really bothers me,”

It was finally lunch time, their favorite time of the day. As usual, Minho would go out first leaving Key and Amber who were waiting for each other endlessly. After few minutes of wasting time in the room, they finally decided to leave the room. As they walk by the hall, they saw students crowding by the bulletin so it took their interest and butted in.

“What’s this?” Key asked as he stared at the bulletin.
“Masquerade ball?” Amber said unsure.
“Interesting~” they both said.

“Let’s go, I’m really hungry~” Amber didn’t care much and pulled Key away from the bulletin. They went straight to the other SHINY EFFECTS. Key talked as soon as he sat down.

“Hey, have you heard about that masquerade ball?”

“Yeah, just this morning. Why did you ask?” Onew answered.
“Nothing… Oh, yuck, what’s that?” Key asked in a diva-ish way pointing to the gooey thing next to Krystal.

“My science project. Want to touch it?” Krystal responded.
“No… gross~” Key stuck his tongue out.

They finished eating and one by one started to leave. Key and Amber always have their own world so they always end up being left out. But before Onew left with Victoria, he whispered something to Amber.

“Amber, I forgot to tell you something the other day…” Onew went closer to Amber’s left ear.
“He feels the same~” and run as fast as he could so he wouldn’t hear any question from Amber.

“What did that tofu told you?” Key was the one curious.
“I didn’t get it so… Oh, we should celebrate later since you passed the test!”
“We don’t need to celebrate because I always pass the exams,” Key stated and shrugged his shoulders.
“Then we should celebrate since you got higher grades than Minho!” Amber really wants to do something after school so she kept giving reasons until Key said yes.
“Okay! We’re going to a bakery later!” that was the only thing that popped in Key’s head.

==

Key and Amber ate toast after school. It was kinda weird eating that but it was still delicious. Key was talking “blah- blah” while Amber was thinking of something else. She really didn’t get what Onew told her earlier. “He feels the same.” She doesn’t know what it means.

“Yah, are you listening to me?” Key snapped Amber out of her thought.
“Yeah, I’m listening~” Amber answered in English.
“Then, tell me what I just said earlier,”
“You were talking about how this toast tastes weird but you like it and we should come back here,” Amber may be thinking of something else, but she was still listening to Key.

“Are you done eating? I want to go home~” Key started to bug Amber.
“I’m done, I’m done. Let’s go!” they left the place and went straight home.

“Amber!” Krystal hugged her.
“Let’s go in. We have something to talk about. GIRLS ONLY!” Krystal looked at Key fiercely.
“Okay, I’m not going in there anyway. Bye baby. Pssshhh to you Krys!” Key squinted in his own diva-ish way again.

==

“Hey, Amber unni, you’re going to the masquerade ball, right?” Krystal asked.
“No, I’m not really interested.” Amber said bluntly.
“What?! You have to come!” Krystal exclaimed.

“Krys, I have two weeks to change my mind so chillax~” Amber said in a calm tone.
“But you have to decide NOW!” Krystal really wanted Amber to come for no reason.

“Can you guys get her away from me?”
“We’re busy~” Luna answered for the three of them who were just watching them circling around the house. The other girls also want Amber to come to the masquerade ball.

“So are you coming?”
“No,”
“Come on unni,”
“No,”
“There’ll be a lot of boys~”
“I’m not interested in them…”
“The SHINee oppas will come. That of course includes Key oppa.” Krystal thought that she could use Key for Amber to come with them.
“Ugh… no,” obviously, Amber was already doubting.

“I’m sure, if you won’t come, Key oppa might not come either.” That will probably happen.
“I’ll think about it.”

“No, you have to answer at this minute! Yes or no?” Krystal asked a little annoyed.
“Okay, okay, I’ll come.”
“Yes! Okay, I’m going. See you tomorrow. Let’s go Luna unni~” Krystal grabbed Luna and left the apartment.

“You already talked about this, didn’t you?” Amber put her hands on her waist.
“Well… let’s have dinner!” Victoria changed the topic and went to the kitchen.
“What did you do with Key oppa?” Sulli asked with a cute smile.
“None of your business, little girl~” Amber answered like how Key would answer it.

==

“We’re going shopping!” Luna shouted with excitement.
“Pass~” Amber said that made her four friends look at her.

“Oh, Amber, stop being a party pooper and come with us.” Victoria also tried to convince her.
“You need a nice elegant dress. I know this boutique that you might like.” Krystal really wants to dress- up Amber.
“Unni, we can only do this once.” Sulli used her puppy- dog eyes.
“Please~” Luna joined in, too until everyone was pleading her.

“Seems like I have no choice~” Amber side and before she knew it, she was already sitting at Krystal’s car.

They went to this boutique that Krystal was talking about and they picked random dresses for Amber. She didn’t know that the other girls already had dresses prepared for the ball. After picking up two dresses, they finally went home. Amber was the only exhausted.

==

“Hmmm… Is Amber going to the masquerade ball next week?” Key and Jonghyun were both thinking the same. They looked at each other as if their asking each other what they were thinking.

“Fried Chicken?” they asked each other that made both of them laugh.
“I’ll order some.” Jonghyun insisted. JongKey are still best friends, right?
“You really should. Our VISITOR might be hungry,” Key emphasized the word ‘visitor’ since he finds Krystal annoying these past few days.
“KeyBum, chill. Minho might get mad at you,” Jonghyun whispered before leaving Key.

“I know what you’re thinking oppa,” Krystal approached Key.
“Amber unni… she said she wouldn’t come. I tried to pursue her but…. I just can’t” Krystal was giggling in her head.
“I’m not thinking of her or the masquerade. I’m thinking of how to get rid of you without being noticed by Minho,” Key said rudely.

“Are you talking about me?” Minho was just sitting across the room.
“No, not you, Amber!” Krystal answered and glared back at Key.

==

Key was hesitating whether he’ll believe what Krystal told him so he asked Amber himself.

“Heya, oppa, what’s up?” Amber rushed to Key’s side.
“Are you going to the ball this Saturday?” Key asked frankly.

“Yeah, Krys won’t stop asking me so I said yes. I’m actually ready for it. I have a dress and heels. The girls will be my make- up artists.” Amber gave him a complete explanation.
“I knew that girl was playing with me,” Key whispered to himself.

“Ha-ha. My baby’s gonna wear a dress!” Key just laughed.
“So are you going?”
“Yeah, as long as you’re in, then I’m in!”